• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Makikou

Info here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YA55FBYKvas

Fantastic video and how RaceRoom should have promoted their version ages ago.

Bought this yesterday and it drives great! The 4WD just slingshots the car off corner exits. Also fun that I was trying it on the Nordschleife, you can pre-spool the turbo while giving throttle on the clutch and it takes off like a rocket when you exit the corner :D

Love it, an experience i've been looking for ages over on iRacing w/ all their modern cars.

Also it's super cool to see how excited about the car Hans Stuck still is. You can really see it on the video.

BTW There will be a 2nd secret on September 20th

TJP

Bought this yesterday and it drives great! The 4WD just slingshots the car off corner exits. Also fun that I was trying it on the Nordschleife, you can pre-spool the turbo while giving throttle on the clutch and it takes off like a rocket when you exit the corner :D
That read like an amazing effort from iRacing.

I'll have to find out if Sector 3 had modelled the pre-spool technology.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
VRC Pro is a pretty cool RC simulation game. I can't believe I never heard of it. I think you can play alot of the content for free if you don't play using Steam like I did. Offroad is so much fun, onroad .. not so much for me. (using a 360-pad)

That read like an amazing effort from iRacing.

I'll have to find out if Sector 3 had modelled the pre-spool technology.

Can you tell me something on Sector 3's stance about ABS? I mean, I love the brake-feel, especially the audio-feedback that helps you to manage the brakes in high downforce cars, but why is there no ABS in any of the cars? It's not a difficult to simulate system on a basic level, surely they have a reason why GT3 cars have 6 levels of traction control that can even be adjusted for every single level in the garage and then no ABS at all (or non that I can see, feel or hear in the cars I've driven and no options for it anywhere).

And also one minor improvement suggestion: option for "real/factory" in regards to clutching and shifting. I want to be as close the real thing as I get and I don't always know, which cars used H-pattern, which flappy paddles and if the real thing features automatic rev-matching for which I'd switch to auto-clutch. At least to have all 3 options in the same menu would be an improvement already.

Effect

Thrustmaster make well thought of equipment so no doubt you'll be happy with what you've bought 8)

I'm liking it so far. Decided to keep it though and not get something more expensive. I like it but not that much to go all in and I figure the games I'm going to be using it for are going to be limited. Just used it with Project Cars (which last let me enjoy that game more) and The Crew so far. I want to somehow get a small table so I can try it with Gran Turismo 6 or maybe at the least move my PS3 and connect it to my computer monitor and use the desk. The improvement I had with Pcars is why I'm looking forward to testing out GT6.

The Crew though (free on Uplay right now), after installing today it just wasn't working out. I assume that's the game being the issue here. The second I connected my Xbox controller it was like night and day. That game felt "right" and feels like it controls properly with the controller and I only messed with one setting. I read about people using wheels with the game and I don't know how or they've spent a lot of time tweaking things to get it right. Don't have the patience for it. No matter what changes I did I would constantly spin out trying to make any turns unless I was going really slow, things were either to sensitive or not sensitive enough.

TJP

As many people in this thread know, ISI have promised a lot with rF2 and haven't always delivered. Studio 397 is taking over development of the rF2 platform with promises of a new DX11 graphics engine, VR support and a much quicker release schedule.

ISI forum thread: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...st-as-ISI-announce-a-partnership-with-Luminis

Bsimracing story: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-moves-to-a-new-company-welcome-studio397/

The Studio 397 FB page is: https://www.facebook.com/Studio397/

Press release is here: https://www.luminis.eu/blog/rfactor-2-gets-boost-isi-announce-partnership-luminis/

terrible

Banned
I'm liking it so far. Decided to keep it though and not get something more expensive. I like it but not that much to go all in and I figure the games I'm going to be using it for are going to be limited. Just used it with Project Cars (which last let me enjoy that game more) and The Crew so far. I want to somehow get a small table so I can try it with Gran Turismo 6 or maybe at the least move my PS3 and connect it to my computer monitor and use the desk. The improvement I had with Pcars is why I'm looking forward to testing out GT6.

The Crew though (free on Uplay right now), after installing today it just wasn't working out. I assume that's the game being the issue here. The second I connected my Xbox controller it was like night and day. That game felt "right" and feels like it controls properly with the controller and I only messed with one setting. I read about people using wheels with the game and I don't know how or they've spent a lot of time tweaking things to get it right. Don't have the patience for it. No matter what changes I did I would constantly spin out trying to make any turns unless I was going really slow, things were either to sensitive or not sensitive enough.
The Crew works fine with a wheel for me and I don't think I did much to the settings. I'll check out my settings and post them on here for you if you want.

The game is super arcadey though, almost to the point where I don't really think it's that fun.

As many people in this thread know, ISI have promised a lot with rF2 and haven't always delivered. Studio 397 is taking over development of the rF2 platform with promises of a new DX11 graphics engine, VR support and a much quicker release schedule.

ISI forum thread: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...st-as-ISI-announce-a-partnership-with-Luminis

Bsimracing story: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-moves-to-a-new-company-welcome-studio397/

The Studio 397 FB page is: https://www.facebook.com/Studio397/

Press release is here: https://www.luminis.eu/blog/rfactor-2-gets-boost-isi-announce-partnership-luminis/

Too little too late.
DX11 support should have been in the game ages ago and ISI should have focused on adding more features like even a basic single player mode.

We are still waiting a game that released 4 years ago to get good. I took them until this year to actually release modding guides for this game for fuck's sake.

Now its too late. Most of the old rF1 community has moved to Assetto Corsa and has written off rF2 for good.

They should just abandon rFactor 2 and make a new game, but then again I doubt they have the resources for that.

TJP

They should just abandon rFactor 2 and make a new game, but then again I doubt they have the resources for that.
ISI may have just done exactly that.

Marcel Offermans posted on Race Department: "Just to clarify some details on the partnership: Studio 397 owns the full IP (sourcecode) and brand for rFactor 2. Studio 397 is fully owned by by Luminis. The content team from ISI moved to Studio 397. ISI still owns (and sublicenses) rFactor 1. The ISI developers in Ann Arbor are working on their next project, dubbed as "not rF3". Rogue System is also still part of ISI"

Reference: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...tnership-announced.126216/page-5#post-2310263

Race Department have recently interviewed ISI and have teased they have quite a story coming soon.

I pulled out my G27, applied the win 10 fix to allow it to be recognized properly and tried to play some Assetto Corsa for the first time. I used the Pro assist preset and then I turn automatic transmission and the racing line back on. I need a whole lot of practice.

I've also played a good amount of Forza 6 Apex. That game is infinitely touchier with a wheel compared to a controller. I play with only the brake driver line for now and I was having no problems winning every event with a controller. With the wheel I practiced for 20 minutes to get a single quality lap.

TJP

I'm not going to copy and paste every line as that's not fair to RD, however I've posted a few key quotes. Please read the interview via the links below.

Part One: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/exclusive-isi-studio-397-rfactor-2-interview-part-1.126263/

Tim Wheatley: "ISI is pretty much focused on "not rf3" going forward, but the cool thing is that the new studio has full rights to the source code and branding of rf2 and will be developing on that. Also Studio 397 effectively have the scope to hire ISI to do work on that as well so it's actually quite a cool arrangement"

Part Two: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/exclusive-isi-studio-397-rfactor-2-interview-part-2.126264/

Tim Wheatley: "I don't think you would have Ian Bell and Project CARS around without the rF1 engine, you wouldn't have Reiza and you wouldn't have Sector3 either. The cool thing is with each generation Sector3 and Blimey Games have gradually moved away from the rF1 engine and basically rewritten this piece of code and that so its becoming less and less the rf1 engine, in fact Project Cars was almost wholly their engine. But the thing important to remember is they got an estimated six year head start before they even got going using the rf1 engine".

Tim Wheatley: "The main thing will be increased performance as you can use a lot of the DX11 tricks and tweaks. You also have graphics cards and drivers coming out that now support DX9 less and less. It's getting to be counterproductive because the support for DX9 is actually becoming worse, so you might actually get a better graphics card and get worse framerates on drivers that barely support it. The technology is still valid, but it’s not supported as such and it's at a difficult point where this had to happen really, but it’s the right choice now to move forward".

Tim Wheatley: "There was one point in 2001 when I actually moved countries to take a new job and then the job went away. The guy was going bankrupt when he hired me. I'd spent everything getting over to this other country and I ended up being homeless living in a homeless hostel".

Makikou

Tomorrow's surprise for iRacing got ruined by their own update today.

Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo
Nissan_GTP_ZX-Turbo_at_Goodwood_2014_003.jpg

:eek:

I thought it was going to be another GTO car, which would have been great as well. These Nissan GTP cars were seriously beast however!

What a great foundation which can be expanded out in the future.

Makikou

They actually released the Nissan today! There's also a series called Kamel GT Championship now for the Audi & Nissan.

The car is amazing.. Turbo is huge and aero is massive.

Probably not the place to ask this, but I'm a bit desperate at this point. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with Fanatec and their warranty process?

I have had a GT3 RS2 for about a year and a half and recently it has become virtually unusable. When I turn to the left in any game(PCars, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Rfactor 2), the wheel will loudly give off 'clicking' sounds that is similar to a ratchet wrench being twisted in the wrong direction; I can also feel the clicking as if some belts are slipping or something. Accompanying this noise is the wheel losing center after almost every turn that can range from a couple of degrees to ~15 degrees. Strangely enough, it will sometimes partially 're-center' itself during a turn which can cause disaster. Unfortunately, the problem compounds itself over a long driving distance, where all the small 'recentering' changes will result in me holding the wheel sometimes 90 degrees off of true center. Even if I use the button macro to 'recenter' the wheel as described in the manual, it will go off center inevitably after another turn. I have tried every combination of firmware and driver software to alleviate the issue to no success. The 'clicking' sound is not present when the wheel is turned off, i can rotate the wheel in any direction and it sounds normal. Again, it's important to note this clicking is only present when I turn to the left. I don't have a personal video, but this video on youtube of a different Fanatec model is very similar to my issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSt-dh6pj4 I'd appreciate any help.

Unfortunately, Fanatec's warranty term is only a year, and I've had this wheel for about 15 months or so. I sent them a RMA ticket through email about 3 weeks ago with no reply yet. I'm not expecting for a completely free fix, but I at least don't want to buy a whole new wheel(and it won't be fanatec this time...).

Well you're certainly not the first person who's had Fanatec customer service be non-responsive. I suggest keep badgering them until they reply. Perhaps try posting in one of the larger sim forums like ISR, or GTPlanet, or iRacing. I've seen that catch their attention pretty quickly.

TJP

Not a single post in reply to the rF2 news moving to a new studio? I guess that means the sim is pretty much dead here.

Not a single post in reply to the rF2 news moving to a new studio? I guess that means the sim is pretty much dead here.

rFactor has it´s place in history, but rF2 is just.... one huge mess. Assetto does the modding scene, Pcars does graphics and sounds, RaceRoom has a bunch of cool series, iRacing has good multiplayer... i mean, there isn´t anything that rF2 does to make it appeal to most sim fans.

I remember drooling over some promised mods for rF2, like the SuperGT series, but most of the things that were going to happen are just unfinished or forgotten. Judging by the friends, die hard fans of Isi´s engine, the ones that only accept that engine are playing Reiza´s games.

I guess that´s why people are not that much into the news.

rFactor has it´s place in history, but rF2 is just.... one huge mess. Assetto does the modding scene, Pcars does graphics and sounds, RaceRoom has a bunch of cool series, iRacing has good multiplayer... i mean, there isn´t anything that rF2 does to make it appeal to most sim fans.
You're seriously preferring the sound in pCARS over RaceRoom?
Sorry, I couldn't hold back, carry on with the rF2 discussion and ignore my inadvertent outcry

My fault. I'm rF2's biggest cheerleader on GAF but I had to quit sim racing altogether a couple of months ago, so barely post here (this topic) these days.

The rF2 studio move is great news, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'd ever get the chance to play a new version.

terrible

Banned
I guess I got rF2 too late in its cycle to really understand what was promised and what they failed to deliver, etc. I really like how the game feels, it might be my fav PC sim for just hot lapping. I've been juggling too many different games lately so I haven't even played a PC sim in a while (like 10+ days!!!). I need to fix that.

TJP

Hello gents

You guys are familiar with RaceRoom, right? It came a long, long way.

Here's a clip from a very disputed race I had last sunday, maybe it will help bring you on to the RaceRoom racedepartment.com party :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK5pc6SnvmQ

cheers
I skipped through the 40 minutes but it looked like a solid race.

As for R3E, some of us are Sector 3 testers...since a change of producer and the owners focus back to SimBin's mantra of "easy to pick up, hard to master", RaceRoom has taken shape rather nicely.

The sales model still sucks - that's a publisher decison - however some concessions are being done behind the scenes (e.g. liveries will soon be free). Physics, sound and FFB are all getting better; just need more of what the community wants in regards to features while pushing out new content (as bills need to be paid!).

TJP

My fault. I'm rF2's biggest cheerleader on GAF but I had to quit sim racing altogether a couple of months ago, so barely post here (this topic) these days.

The rF2 studio move is great news, but I'm uncertain as to whether I'd ever get the chance to play a new version.
Thats some really sad news. I hope you can get back into sim racing at some point in the near future. I thought of you when I took the ultima for a spin in AMS last week; I'd have loved to have read your thoughts as the road car is mental.

spuckthew

As for R3E, some of us are Sector 3 testers...since a change of producer and the owners focus back to SimBin's mantra of "easy to pick up, hard to master", RaceRoom has taken shape rather nicely.

The sales model still sucks - that's a publisher decison - however some concessions are being done behind the scenes (e.g. liveries will soon be free). Physics, sound and FFB are all getting better; just need more of what the community wants in regards to features while pushing out new content (as bills need to be paid!).

Did they stop people doing challenges if they don't own the car/track? I only really picked up R3E properly about 3 months ago so I have no idea if it was always a thing or like a promo or something, but I thought that aspect of the game was really nice. (Admittedly haven't played it for 2 weeks, but it said I needed to buy something when I last tried.)

R3E is probably my favourite sim from a driving perspective (the leaderboard system is a big part of its draw), but the sales model is pretty horrendous and alienating.

You're seriously preferring the sound in pCARS over RaceRoom?
Sorry, I couldn't hold back, carry on with the rF2 discussion and ignore my inadvertent outcry

I´ve only tried a couple of cars on RaceRoom due to their horrible business model, it was good but i really like Pcars, some models like the Dallara Indy or the Ford Capri are just marvelous.

I will cave in and buy WTCC or DTM from RaceRoom, so i will be able to give better judgement in the future.

TJP

Any news on the AI and collision physics departments? These are the weak points of the game IMO.
11 people are making new cars, tacks and conten whilst also working on AI and physics which means the wheels of change move slowly.

I do know there is always work being done; when I know more, I'll let the members here know too.

Did they stop people doing challenges if they don't own the car/track? I only really picked up R3E properly about 3 months ago so I have no idea if it was always a thing or like a promo or something, but I thought that aspect of the game was really nice. (Admittedly haven't played it for 2 weeks, but it said I needed to buy something when I last tried.)
I don't believe so; it may be that they are waiting on a content refresh before the new challenges are released.

Thats some really sad news. I hope you can get back into sim racing at some point in the near future. I thought of you when I took the ultima for a spin in AMS last week; I'd have loved to have read your thoughts as the road car is mental.
Just some family stuff eroding my free time. I estimate I'll be back in three years lol. Will rF2 have rain on the windscreen in 2019? I can't wait to find out!

adburns

Hi All,

What is the general consensus on Project Cars now?

I see it is going cheap on Humble atm and I wondering if it's worth a shot?

I'm playing R3E at the moment and the handling and FFB of the cars really feels fantastic. Can I expect the same from PC or it is inferior in this depart?

Thanks

Hi All,

What is the general consensus on Project Cars now?

I see it is going cheap on Humble atm and I wondering if it's worth a shot?

I'm playing R3E at the moment and the handling and FFB of the cars really feels fantastic. Can I expect the same from PC or it is inferior in this depart?

Thanks
I don't want to deal in descriptions like "inferior" when it comes to any sim, really. However it's fair to say that many people were unhappy with the out-of-the-box FFB in pCARS. It gives you more options on tweaking the FFB in-game than any other sim, but they're all not very well explained and - without having studied mathematics - probably just aren't all that easily explainable.
Nobody I know uses the FFB without tweaking the "Scoop"-values and/or (at least) "adjust gain" (and master/tire-force), quite a few use the Jack Spade tweaker files. For them to work, you set the global FFB values in pCARS like said in the linked OP, download the tweaker files and then have the choice between different 'philosophies' of FFB (the " 66% " seems to be the most beloved one, but I went back and forth and am now on "classic" again).

Now that all sounds horrible, I know (and I haven't even talked about bugs that still persist even after a ton of post-release support and patching from SMS; biggest one for me that's still there is clipping a tiny little bit through the physical road surface mesh and driving against the not-clipped surface infront of you like it's an invisible wall), BUT... if I could pay the Forza devs 20 bucks to have the FFB from pCARS in Forza with all the options I'd probably do it. It absolutely can feel like driving a car and not having some generic FFB-"effects" from 15 years ago applied to your wheel.

What you really should buy pCARS for though, is the weather and time of day. Driving tracks and seeing the sky going from orange to red, to completely dark, seeing all the shadows get longer is still magical and makes the already huge track selection never get old. You should also try just driving a road legal BMW during a thunderstorm at night or a GT3/4 race in the still-dark morning with heavy fog. The simulation aspect of rain may be not great, but not many other sims feature dynamic precipitation that has you thinking about when to change your tires, so even if you're not a rain magician driver, you should give that a try.

DD

11 people are making new cars, tacks and conten whilst also working on AI and physics which means the wheels of change move slowly.

I do know there is always work being done; when I know more, I'll let the members here know too.
K. Thanks, TJP! :)

So i bought DTM 2015 on friday. I love the presentation, and really liked the options and what they gave me considering what i paid.

Maybe i´ll buy the WTCC one if i manage to find time to play so many games.

Then on saturday i finally bit the bullet and bought one month of iRacing on steam.

So many years just reading about it and only a couple of hours driving it, i can now finally review the game properly.

I was a huge fan of Nascar 2003, and iRacing still brings some of those memories. Game is hit and miss for me, some things are really good and some other are just god damn awful.

+ options and rankings for everything
+ lots of cool tracks
+ realistic setups
+ sounds
+ force feedback is really good

- graphics. Oh my good this is bad. Looks like Nascar 2003 on steroids. It´s a shame that in a generation of GTX 1070 i´m playing a game that looks like an upscaled PS2 game. Seriously, it shouldn´t be this bad.

- price. Everything is incredible expensive and this is nickle and dime at it´s worst. Pay to enter a series? FFS no.

- low speed physics. I get the need to praise this game more than god to justify the price tag, but the low speed physics are a joke. Not a lot of people have driven racecars in their life (i only did it once) but everyone has already driven a bunch of cars in speeds of 30-50 miles. A lot of us have played with our daily cars and my god the low speed physics in this game are nuts, they defy gravity. Cars can bounce and spin like crazy at 30mph just because... i guess they never gave up completely on their iceracing mantra.

- realistic options that have no purpose at all. You have to stop the car, press and hold a button to go back to the pits, then ask for a new car, then press and hold if you want to go back to setup screen. All of this because the restart option is too gamey for them. This is just straight up BS, it ads nothing to the game.

- no camera options. I know i´m the minority, but i absolutely hate cockpit cam. I feel claustrophobic at all times, i can´t see shit and most importantly my flat screen TV does not have peripheral view like i do in real life. So no, it´s not like in real life. Maybe VR can change this, but until then i want to at least have the option to put the fucking camera on the hood or on the roof.

-------

I wanted to like this game because i really like Nascar so this would be my go to game for oval racing, but some design choices make this game unacceptable. To get all the content i would probably spend more than 1000 dollars and this is nuts, considering others do it more for less.

It really feels like what a lot of people say it´s true: yes, it has awesome online races, but it´s a game that it´s constantly adding artificial barriers of difficulty just to say harder = more realistic, which is just sad because it´s not always the case.

I know a lot of good sim racers are using this service, but it doesn´t seem like i´ll be spending a lot of time on it.

The lack of some options is just dumb and pointless. I don´t know how some of the enthusiasts feel about this game right now, but it might have been "it" in 2008 or 2009, but these days you can get a lot more for less. The "it´s more expensive because it´s more realistic" looks like a joke to me.

Next step is giving another chance to rFactor2 and to Reiza studios.

Makikou

+ lots of cool tracks
+ realistic setups
+ sounds
Well the tracks are best in the industry and the FFB actually works out of the box without messing about with 20 sliders so we do have something going for iRacing there, I agree.

- graphics. Oh my good this is bad. Looks like Nascar 2003 on steroids. It´s a shame that in a generation of GTX 1070 i´m playing a game that looks like an upscaled PS2 game. Seriously, it shouldn´t be this bad.
Seriously, i'm not going to say that iRacing is a looker like Forza Horizon 3 or any kind of Unreal Engine 4 game would be but honestly if this looks like a PS2 game to you, i wish my PS2 had ran games like this:
petit2016_featured.jpg

- price. Everything is incredible expensive and this is nickle and dime at it´s worst. Pay to enter a series? FFS no.
As a game, yeah it's expensive. As a hobby it's fine and actually over at the Oval side you can get off using less money than on the Road side. You dont have to pay to enter a series though.. Most D- Class series run some free content aswell but yeah. If you want to be conservative with money you could just compare a couple of series tracklists and only buy tracks that show up in 2-3 series and make sure you can race on those weeks.

- low speed physics. I get the need to praise this game more than god to justify the price tag, but the low speed physics are a joke. Not a lot of people have driven racecars in their life (i only did it once) but everyone has already driven a bunch of cars in speeds of 30-50 miles. A lot of us have played with our daily cars and my god the low speed physics in this game are nuts, they defy gravity. Cars can bounce and spin like crazy at 30mph just because... i guess they never gave up completely on their iceracing mantra.
I don't know what car you have driven in iRacing (assume MX-5/Street Stock?) but it's mainly good about this. Cold tires coming out of the pits combined with cold weather certainly does cause this. Most notable on Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype.

- realistic options that have no purpose at all. You have to stop the car, press and hold a button to go back to the pits, then ask for a new car, then press and hold if you want to go back to setup screen. All of this because the restart option is too gamey for them. This is just straight up BS, it ads nothing to the game.
Assetto Corsa does this aswell and no one criticizes that game for doing it so SMH.

- no camera options. I know i´m the minority, but i absolutely hate cockpit cam. I feel claustrophobic at all times, i can´t see shit and most importantly my flat screen TV does not have peripheral view like i do in real life. So no, it´s not like in real life. Maybe VR can change this, but until then i want to at least have the option to put the fucking camera on the hood or on the roof.

Honestly I prefer to have it like this. You don't drive a real racecar from the fucking hood or roof and that's how it should be. If you want more peripheral view, buy a triple screen setup.

nasanu

Banned
Seriously, i'm not going to say that iRacing is a looker like Forza Horizon 3 or any kind of Unreal Engine 4 game would be but honestly if this looks like a PS2 game to you, i wish my PS2 had ran games like this:
petit2016_featured.jpg

20080116-cb76202c74.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20040925020504293.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20040925020554838.jpg

It really isn't that far removed from a 16 year old console. #PCMasterRace

AxeMan

I see you've already had a response to your comment but I'll just a couple of words.
I agree that the cost can be steep, but I see the value there. And it also keeps the kids out who tend to just like to wreck.

The camera being inside the car is a major positive for iRacing. It's a sim and should be raced as such. You start to lose a level playing field if you allow different racing camera angles. I'll add that once you get used to cockpit camera then nothing else comes close and you'll use it everywhere.

In my eyes it's the best sim racing available. I just wish they'd update their site and make it easier to join a series and search series'

Makikou

I see you've already had a response to your comment but I'll just a couple of words.
I agree that the cost can be steep, but I see the value there. And it also keeps the kids out who tend to just like to wreck.

The camera being inside the car is a major positive for iRacing. It's a sim and should be raced as such. You start to lose a level playing field if you allow different racing camera angles. I'll add that once you get used to cockpit camera then nothing else comes close and you'll use it everywhere.

In my eyes it's the best sim racing available. I just wish they'd update their site and make it easier to join a series and search series'
I agree, the site is shit and unresponsive.

Thats what happens when you basically feed all data through javascript and have like 5 old legacy systems running on the background (stats, results krhmm..)

Branson

So i bought DTM 2015 on friday. I love the presentation, and really liked the options and what they gave me considering what i paid.

Maybe i´ll buy the WTCC one if i manage to find time to play so many games.

Then on saturday i finally bit the bullet and bought one month of iRacing on steam.

So many years just reading about it and only a couple of hours driving it, i can now finally review the game properly.

I was a huge fan of Nascar 2003, and iRacing still brings some of those memories. Game is hit and miss for me, some things are really good and some other are just god damn awful.

+ lots of cool tracks
+ realistic setups
+ sounds

-------

I wanted to like this game because i really like Nascar so this would be my go to game for oval racing, but some design choices make this game unacceptable. To get all the content i would probably spend more than 1000 dollars and this is nuts, considering others do it more for less.

It really feels like what a lot of people say it´s true: yes, it has awesome online races, but it´s a game that it´s constantly adding artificial barriers of difficulty just to say harder = more realistic, which is just sad because it´s not always the case.

I know a lot of good sim racers are using this service, but it doesn´t seem like i´ll be spending a lot of time on it.

The lack of some options is just dumb and pointless. I don´t know how some of the enthusiasts feel about this game right now, but it might have been "it" in 2008 or 2009, but these days you can get a lot more for less. The "it´s more expensive because it´s more realistic" looks like a joke to me.

Next step is giving another chance to rFactor2 and to Reiza studios.

Unfortunately no one else puts out good oval sims anymore except iracing. NASCAR Heat came out and it was a joke, even though the old developers worked on it. NR2003 season is really old and is still ok, but is hard to go back to physics wise, but somehow is still the best dedicated NASCAR game. It's a frustrating thing to be a fan of. rfactor 2 has the oval mod from isi but like most things on there it doesn't feel complete.

Top Bottom