• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Ark

Started designing a NeoGAF paint scheme for the RUF C-Spec since I'm going to be driving that series for the rest of the season. It's my first time painting a car but man is this template confusing. So many little parts that I have no idea what they are.

Anyone here with some painting experience that knows a handy tip or two to lining things up correctly? I'm just guessing and hoping for the best at the moment.

Started designing a NeoGAF paint scheme for the RUF C-Spec since I'm going to be driving that series for the rest of the season. It's my first time painting a car but man is this template confusing. So many little parts that I have no idea what they are.

Anyone here with some painting experience that knows a handy tip or two to lining things up correctly? I'm just guessing and hoping for the best at the moment.

I'm certain people who work with the templates often have a greater understanding, but for me it was entirely trial and error. What is this thing? I dunno, let me paint in pink and look for it on the car. Dozens of iterations trying to get everything lined up too. I'm no Photoshop guru either, which I'm sure didn't help matters.

I really enjoyed making the paint, but it was a time sink. No question. I'd rather be driving. :)

C-Spec is a great car, and I'd love a GAF paint for it, so stay with it!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I got a little bonus from work and I've decided to treat myself to some new toys. I've wanted a wheel for over a decade so I'm finally going to just get myself one, and I think I'm pretty set on getting a Logitech G27 from Amazon. Does anyone have any other recommendations, or is this pretty much the best I can get for the PC?

I'm also buying myself a TrackIR because yeah why not, lol.

bee

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

Changes from 0.6F3 to 0.6F4 :

Misc :

Driver's body is now enabled by default
Reduced input lag when vertical sync is enabled

Oculus Rift :

Predicted head position is used with vertical sync
Enabled low persistence display mode (on by default)
More helpful and better looking multiple selection dialog
LFS will now start up on default device if Rift is not found
Helpful message if detected Rift has wrong screen orientation
Position is retained if headset moves out of tracking range
Single mip bias slider when in Rift mode

How is the chromatic correction coming along, difficult to implement?
Not difficult but will require a bit of code rearranging, a few hours work which I expect to do in the morning - a bit tired now. I just thought it would be good to get these updates tested while I'm at it.

playing lfs over the weekend on the rift has convinced me to sell my triple monitor setup, it's a really fantastic experience and beats triple on everything bar clarity, it's weird how quickly you adjust to it all, like suddenly spinning your head 180 degrees to see a crash happening behind like you've been doing it for years, gonna get a rog swift monitor as a replacement

I got a little bonus from work and I've decided to treat myself to some new toys. I've wanted a wheel for over a decade so I'm finally going to just get myself one, and I think I'm pretty set on getting a Logitech G27 from Amazon. Does anyone have any other recommendations, or is this pretty much the best I can get for the PC?

I'm also buying myself a TrackIR because yeah why not, lol.
The G27 is certainly of the best options as a first wheel. Is it pretty much the best you can get for PC? Far from it. It is considered an entry-level wheel in the list of ultimate PC peripherals. Unfortunately, the list is complex, there are big jumps in price with pros and cons all the way to the top.

Depending on your budget, you may also want to look at Fanatec and Thrustmaster before making your decision. However, you might spend hours assessing the differences and end up sticking with a G27, which is a perfectly decent option.

TrackIR is about to be made obsolete by VR. Also, I think it's absolutely awful. I wouldn't recommend it, but YMMV. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
TrackIR is about to be made obsolete by VR. Also, I think it's absolutely awful. I wouldn't recommend it, but YMMV. :)

Possibly, but I'm in no rush to get a VR headset yet. It took me forever to convince my girlfriend that the TrackIR thing on a hat isn't too geeky to accept, but she ain't ready to see me wearing a VR goggle just yet. Besides, I'm mainly buying the TrackIR for Flight Sim X, so I need to be able to see my keyboard and such and a VR goggle just wouldn't be suitable IMHO.

bj00rn_

Banned
Possibly, but I'm in no rush to get a VR headset yet. It took me forever to convince my girlfriend that the TrackIR thing on a hat isn't too geeky to accept, but she ain't ready to see me wearing a VR goggle just yet. Besides, I'm mainly buying the TrackIR for Flight Sim X, so I need to be able to see my keyboard and such and a VR goggle just wouldn't be suitable IMHO.

I just wanted to say (because it seems to be a common misconception) that it is actually possible to see the keyboard with a Oculus Rift. There are openings under the eyes to let you see what's going on, like f.ex. look at the keyboard..

Ark

I'm certain people who work with the templates often have a greater understanding, but for me it was entirely trial and error. What is this thing? I dunno, let me paint in pink and look for it on the car. Dozens of iterations trying to get everything lined up too. I'm no Photoshop guru either, which I'm sure didn't help matters.

I really enjoyed making the paint, but it was a time sink. No question. I'd rather be driving. :)

C-Spec is a great car, and I'd love a GAF paint for it, so stay with it!

Yeah I'm liking the car too. Just trying to figure out what I want to do with this first RUF-GAF paint scheme. I think I've got everything visualised now, just need to finish it up! I've tried the painting things pink and looking for them thing, but I still can't find some things hahaha.

I'm probably going to make several variations because why not!

I know it's only old gen and all that but damn that look like a rFactor mod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjQcQaJWKM

3Cd15jv.gif

That looks and sounds awful.

Juicy Bob

Knowing that F1 2015 is being built from the ground-up on next-gen with a brand new purpose built engine makes it slightly difficult to get excited about this year's game.

Although I do like the turbo sounds under braking.

GamerMuscle tests Oculus Rift DK2 in Live for Speed in the LFS BMW Sauber F1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7Z47NgNwQ#t=75

Seems LFS is having a mini renaissance.

It's definitely good for them. I know we've got lots of very busy devs right now, but it's too bad almost no one else looked at the DK2 as the great promo tool that it is. Never mind grabbing a few sales as well. No one else wants to be the face of VR racing? Alright, if you say so.

Yeah, I appreciate that racing-sim-dev teams are rather diminutive, but you'd think DK2 compatibility would be a priority for exposure.

Edit:

The T300 RS wheel has finally got a price here in Japan and err, it's $70 less than a T500. Isn't it $200 cheaper elsewhere around the globe? I guess I'll pay the extra $70 then.

TJP

From Reiza's FB page:

Reiza said:
As a last but certainly not least adittion to the v1.20 mega update, the star series in the sim in their current formation: Stock Car V8 2014 season, complete with new specs, new rules, and a bunch of new colors and names! This weekend Stock V8 is at Cascavel for the 6th round of the season. Good time for a release perhaps?

TJP

It is positively insane they're doing that as a free update. I love those guys so much!
Yep, Reiza shame just about every other sim racing developer out there and yet so few, even in this thread, bother to try/buy such a fantastic product. I'll get in before the usual posters comment '...but the graphics are shit, the UI is shit, my wheel doesn't work' comments...

Juicy Bob

If I had a PC that could reasonably play games from 2010 onwards, I would be all over GSC.

But such is the reality of PC gaming, I'm kind of priced out of all the latest racing sim releases...

Addnan

If I had a PC that could reasonably play games from 2010 onwards, I would be all over GSC.

But such is the reality of PC gaming, I'm kind of priced out of all the latest racing sim releases...
GSC kinda looks like shit in the visual department. Sure you can't run it?

There's a GSC demo Juicy Bob, I'd give it a try to see if you can run it. It can be somewhat demanding if you max it out, but at lower settings it should be fine.

Juicy Bob

In fairness, I've not tried GSC or the demo or even looked at the specs. But I have tried running rFactor 2, however, and I definitely don't have the horsepower to run that smoothly, so I just assumed it would the same deal with GSC, given how good the game looks (at least to me, anyway).

I might give the demo a try later. I'd like to be able to support Reiza for doing what sounds like some really good stuff with sim racing.

TJP

My original comment wasn't directed at people such as yourself ...

In fairness, I've not tried GSC or the demo or even looked at the specs. But I have tried running rFactor 2, however, and I definitely don't have the horsepower to run that smoothly, so I just assumed it would the same deal with GSC, given how good the game looks (at least to me, anyway).

I might give the demo a try later. I'd like to be able to support Reiza for doing what sounds like some really good stuff with sim racing.
Reiza stand head and shoulders above everyone else with post game support and free content.

Here are the PC specs from the GSC website:

Minimum configuration: 1.4 Ghz Processor / Windows XP or superior / 1GB RAM / Directx 9.0c compatible video card with 256MB Video RAM / 4 GB free hard disk space / Internet connection for online activation

Recommended configuration: 2.6 Ghz Processor / Windows XP or superior / 2GB RAM / Directx 9.0c compatible video card with 512MB Video RAM / 4 GB free hard disk space / Internet connection for online activation

Official FAQ: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gsc2013-faq.78951/

A few simple graphical setting tweaks: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-max-out-graphics.91289/

Branson

Yep, Reiza shame just about every other sim racing developer out there and yet so few, even in this thread, bother to try/buy such a fantastic product. I'll get in before the usual posters comment '...but the graphics are shit, the UI is shit, my wheel doesn't work' comments...

I actually think the graphics are fine. They do their job and its probably the best the old ISI engine can ever look. UI is functional and works. I really enjoy the sim. They deserve all of the sales they can get because of their support and effort into one of the best sims out right now.

And Formula Truck 2013 is pretty awesome too...

TJP

It's here: GSC Extreme v 1.20 released - http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/game-stock-car-extreme-v1-20-released.91498/ Fastest way to update is by running GSC Sync and grab the 2.9GB download.

Reiza Studios said:
Mods that have loose files that conflict with original game files will cause trouble - make sure your "Shared" folder in particular is clean before you update. For the same reason mods & addon tracks might require some updating in order to work properly. Full v1.20 installers will come shortly. In the meantime if you don´t have the game yet, head to www.game-stockcar.com.br, download the full v1.15 installer and update to v1.20 with GSC Sync or one of the update packages below. If you already have GSC2013 v1.15 installed, you may update to version 1.20 by running GSC Sync from your root GSC2013 folder.

Alternatively, download the update packages below and unrar the contents into your GSC2013 folder, , overwriting files when prompted:

Mirror 1: http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/downloads/root/jeux/GameStockCarExtreme/GSCExtreme_v120_UPDATE.rar

Mirror 2: http://www.reizastudios.com/downloads/GSCExtreme_v120_UPDATE.rar

Reiza Studios said:
Main changelog for v1.20:

Content

Cars:

-Added Stock Car V8 2014 season to Stock Car V8 series
-Added Formula Extreme series
-Added Formula Vee series
-Completed full Formula V12 field + updated graphics

Tracks:

-Buenos Aires (4 layouts)
-Spielberg (2 layouts)
-Spielberg Historic

Features & fixes:

-Added DRS functionality + rules (for F-Extreme / f-Reiza)
-Added multiple qualifying rules (F1 style / Stockv8)
-Added option to restrict prime / option tire compound selections per track
-Adjusted StockV8 tire change rules so only 1 tire is changed at a time as per real rules
-Revised tire physics on all cars in preparation to new tire model features currently in development
-Added multiple tire compound options with corresponding tirewall colors to F-Extreme / F-Reiza
-Adjusted dirty air physics for more realistic behavior
-Adjusted engine cooling properties in all cars
-Adjusted AI performance for wider range specially in lower strentgh settings, and more consistency all around from track to track, series to series
-Fixed bug with AI performance discrepancy from quali to race (RaceQualRatio=XX parameter now works in AIW files, lower than 1.0 value will result in slower qual times relative to race, higher values will do the opposite. By default AI should be about 2% faster in quali; remains an issue with AI being too quick in practice sessions)
-Increased rearview mirror resolution for all cars
-Corrected FOV / POV + tv cameras to the same standards for all cars
-Updated rumble sounds to be more "bassy" on all cars (for Buttkicker and other similar systems)
-Adjusted trackside cameras in all tracks for more realistic framing / tracking
-Adjusted some inconsistent road & terrain properties, fixing some overdone high frequency bumps
-Various environmental / lightining enhancements (new skies / fog and other updated shaders);
-Introduced new Foliage shader which looks better & is more optimized to provide performance boost
-Added 3d tyre lods at Granja Viana to help ease performance issues
-Added 3d Armco at Interlagos

Known issues:

-The F-Extreme ERS system has been simplified for this release - basically, the battery is fully charged all the time and the power blending still needs work, meaning the driveability under throttle is not quite what it should be yet;

-The AI for the F-Extreme does not use 8th gear or DRS;

-The hard compound for the F-Extreme & F-Reiza does ot have its proper grey Pirelli sidewall label.

All these should be sorted out in time for the next update

Watevaman

Still haven't got GSC:E and if I wasn't leaving for school (and leaving my wheel behind), I'd probably get it. That changelog looks fantastic and Reiza is doing great things for free.

Nice!!! I've been dying to get my hands on the Vee. Will it usurp the F3 car as my favorite? Hope so!

That is a juicy changelog. Glad to see their new tire model could be the next big change on the horizon. That's going to be a big deal for them.

Anyone getting slight stuttering when driving the Formula Vee? I've tried turning down some graphical settings and it persists sadly. Other cars seem fine though.

Anyone getting slight stuttering when driving the Formula Vee? I've tried turning down some graphical settings and it persists sadly. Other cars seem fine though.

I'm having all kinds of graphical issues. Poor performance, stuttering, flickering, the whole gamut. Not ready for prime time, at least on my machine. RD forum fixes haven't done much unfortunately.

That's the bad news. The good news is the new content/changes are great. The Vee is a lift off oversteer riot and Buenos Aires (long), which I knew very little about, is really fun. A-1, O-Ring, '14 F1 are all fantastic as well.

It needs fixing though. I'm going to have an epileptic seizure trying to play it in it's current state.

Ark

Trading Paints.

My first paint! Spent numerous mornings before work on this. Mostly happy with how it turned out; I keep getting colour 'bleeding' though. No idea how to fix that, the colours don't even overlap in Photoshop but iRacing seems to think they do, that and the curves are really aliased but I couldn't be bothered to go over them :p

Going to make a PS4 themed RUF next. Beginning to like this car more and more now too, just waiting for Road Atlanta in the RUF Cup next week so I can really try and push for times. Charlotte Road is a terrible, god awful track for this car.

TJP

Reiza are on an update for free roll:

Reiza Studios said:
It´s a great day with the release of GSC Extreme v1.20, but we also have good news for Formula Truck fans - we will be giving it a complete revamp to include our latest developments plus some new tracks! If haven´t purchased yours yet, get it now with at a discount price of just US$ 19.90!

TJP

I'm seeing terrible frame rate drops in the pits & on track using the Formula V at Spielberg (and possibly elsewhere). Frame rate should hold a consistent 60fps (v-sync locked) however I'm seeing 20-30fps just sitting in the pits! Frame rate rises to 50 as soon as I move and remains at 60fps throughout the lap when on my own. A 33 AI race is a slideshow at times with highs in the 300fps and lows below 60fps - vsync being off.

As this is a isimotor 2 game and I'm running an overclocked i5 & GTX 680 which should make light work of this sim...all settings maxed except for shadows (high) and shadow blur (off) & 33 AI selected (where allowed); exactly the same settings I ran GSC-E version 1.15.

Edit: I deleted my UserData folder and fettled the config.ini file to correct missing settings for CPURating, SystemRAM, VideoRAM (x1.5 actual RAM), ObjDetail & TexDetail all of which are a carry over from rFactor/isimotor 2 that doesn't correctly allocate these settings; could be bullshit for all I know; I'll give it a try and see what happens. Edit 2: it did SFA.

Suggested fixes from Reiza:

Measures to try regarding the various CTDs / crashdumps:
1-Run GSCSync again or install from the RAR update packages, make sure you have the lastest GSC.exe;

2- If you had mods installed, try deleting your Gamedata\Shared folder and running GSC Sync again to restore the v1.20 shaders (refer to the note regarding issues with 3rd party mods & tracks in the opening post GSCE V1.20 Released).

Regarding stuttering:
-Try deleting your USERDATA\LOG file, and creating a fresh player profile (PLR);

Note: RD posters are suggesting to setting Time Scale to none.

Regarding shadow flickering issue:
- Try creating a shortcut to GSC.exe and add -fullproc to the command line, performance will be worse but it might prevent the issue from happening.

Trading Paints.

My first paint! Spent numerous mornings before work on this. Mostly happy with how it turned out; I keep getting colour 'bleeding' though. No idea how to fix that, the colours don't even overlap in Photoshop but iRacing seems to think they do, that and the curves are really aliased but I couldn't be bothered to go over them :p

Going to make a PS4 themed RUF next. Beginning to like this car more and more now too, just waiting for Road Atlanta in the RUF Cup next week so I can really try and push for times. Charlotte Road is a terrible, god awful track for this car.

Nice work with the paint job! It takes forever to make a nice paint job using the templates. I gave up and just made my car pink with, "CHINA DON'T CARE" written on it.

TJP

This fixed it for me, thanks TJP!
No problem!

Seems to me like it's the Formula Vee and the new tracks that need some work; just tried full grids of the 2014 tintops at a variety of old tracks without issue.

I also got the 2014 Williams F1 airborne over the bumps prior to the braking markers on the front straight at Curitiba ;)

On man, that came out great! Nice work! I'll see if I can gif it later today.

I appreciate when they try to include tracks that come with the base content, but I refuse to deal with Charlotte infield.

Reiza are on an update for free roll:

Reiza said:
It´s a great day with the release of GSC Extreme v1.20, but we also have good news for Formula Truck fans - we will be giving it a complete revamp to include our latest developments plus some new tracks! If haven´t purchased yours yet, get it now with at a discount price of just US$ 19.90!

AWWWW YEAH. Now that is cool of them.

No problem!

Seems to me like it's the Formula Vee and the new tracks that need some work; just tried full grids of the 2014 tintops at a variety of old tracks without issue.

Yeah, that's been my finding as well.

New tracks are a problem, new cars are a problem, new tracks+new cars are bigger problem, new long tracks+new cars is a disaster.

I'm definitely disappointed with how this went out. I've had several other issues too such as shitty AI Retros@Buenos Aires long, and button mapping problems. Stuff that they used to clean up before putting it out there. I know they've had some personnel issues, so I'm happy to cut them some slack, but I hope they get back to making tighter releases.

That Formula Vee makes the pain go away pretty quickly however. What a gem of a sim car.

TJP

It was the same story with the last update to GSC; the new tracks needed optimsation work as stuttering was clearly present (despite holding a v-sync'd 60fps for me). At least Reiza are aware of the issues and will fix them promptly.

I agree with Big Takeover that the Formula V cars are a blast to drive. The car models are fantastically well detailed too.

It was the same story with the last update to GSC; the new tracks needed optimsation work as stuttering was clearly present (despite holding a v-sync'd 60fps for me). At least Reiza are aware of the issues and will fix them promptly.

I agree with Big Takeover that the Formula V cars are a blast to drive. The car models are fantastically well detailed too.

Friends don't let friends v-sync racing games. 1-888-DONTLAG Call them and they'll help you stay off the GeForce Experience, and get your life back to being synchronized.

:p Seriously though, don't do it! Poison-XXX! Slow lap times ahead!

Top Bottom