• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Juicy Bob

Good thing we have Game Stock Car Extreme ;)

Edit: read the comment from Bram of Race Department on the same thread as it's very funny.

Bram Hengeveld said:
We have had the same letter at www.racedepartment.com a year ago and keep getting them from time to time. The sender is not the FIA but a company that acts on behalf of the FOM.

All they do is roam the internet for so called breach of their rights but if you read the letter closely its not a cease and desist letter, but good old internet bullying, but apparently for some teams and websites this is already enough to get (and spread) panic.

Just answer the email kindly, ask for proof (which they don't have as they just focus on trigger words, not actual content) and carry on. Their emails have a nice case number in the subject line to impress the receiver. I have returned all the emails kindly and added my own case number (looks really professional :D)

By posting this kind of news constantly you are giving them exactly what they want: publicity and successfully spreading of fear.

We will not remove any F1 mods that are created by users from scratch unless they provide and submit exact proof of what rule the particular modder is breaching. Still waiting on a proper explanation.

What they should go after instead are teams and individuals that sell F1 branded content for money without a license.

PS: those that keep claiming that Codemasters are the evil genius behind all this are wrong and should really check their facts before publishing comments on the internet. We have contacted them and they weren't even aware this is happening to websites and modding teams.

PS2: in case there is a letter being sent from the FIA directly then please post it as a source for reference.
Good for him. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Is the chromatic aberration down to the recording or the lenses in the unit?
It's a combination of several things. The DK2 lenses naturally cause aberration, so you are supposed to correct for this in software by simulating an inverted colour shift so that they cancel each other out. If you watch direct-feed Rift footage, you'll see this simulated aberration. When you look through the lenses with your eyes, and you are lined up in the sweet spot, the correction works pretty well and you don't notice much aberration at all. However, the sweet spot is small, so if you're not perfectly lined up it will be noticeable, particularly towards the edges.

PCARS has aberration correction. The reason why you still see colour separation in the video is because it's difficult to get the camera lens in the sweet spot, and even if I could, the camera optics behave differently to human optics so it would never look exactly the same.

The short answer is that it's much less noticeable in person, but still something they (Oculus VR) can improve.

Shaneus

GSC 1.21 is out:
Main changelog for v1.21:

Corrected bug that caused CTD on startup in some systems (no longer requires adding a DEP exception for GSC.exe)
Lots of optimization work to improve FPS / stuttering issues
F-Extreme physics reviewed to rectify a few errors
AI revised for improved behavior and minimizing difficulties with tighter corners
Multiple qualifying rules introduced in v1.20 have been temporarily removed to fix some errors - it will be added back in the next update.
Those guys <3

After the update, my T500 no longer works with GSC :( I've tried all manner of deleting profiles, rebooting and .ini text-editing but nothing. I guess a long long slow slow 60-150kb/s download and fresh installation is in order. Sometimes wasting 2 hours trying to fix PC problems makes we want to be a console gamer.

After the update, my T500 no longer works with GSC :( I've tried all manner of deleting profiles, rebooting and .ini text-editing but nothing. I guess a long long slow slow 60-150kb/s download and fresh installation is in order. Sometimes wasting 2 hours trying to fix PC problems makes we want to be a console gamer.

Your Wife said:
Well let me put an end to those dreams right now, Baby! I ain't returnin' no more shoes!

:)

I sure as hell hope I don't have to redownload anything.

@Paz Good stuff. I can almost feel that alcantara.

Reiza have also released a 30 day (!) demo for GSC:E

GSC Extreme LITE is two things at once:

1- A good-for-30-day free demo, including:

StockV8
Camaro SS
Mini Challenge
Formula 3
Kart 125cc

Cascavel
Interlagos
Interlagos Kart track

The full version includes a 60-minute trial period, but if that´s not enough for you, you can try this for 30 days free. When the 30-day period is over or whenever you´re ready to purchase, click on the BUY NOW button from the launch window to place your order, and run GSC Sync from the GSC2013 folder to upgrade your demo into the full version.

2- A "lite" installer to GSC Extreme - If you already bought or intend to buy GSC but are having difficulties with the 5-part full installer, download and install this single file, run GSC Sync from GSC2013 folder and let it handle the rest to upgrade LITE into the fullv version.

GSC Extreme LITE (link 1 - thanks to Sim Racing Evolution)
GSC Extreme LITE (link 2 - thanks to NRT)

Addnan

All these years later and their download speeds are still slow as shit. Aaaah.

gxggKta.png

More awesomeness!
Can we have more wheel turning, more gear shifting, and a full 180 look into the back of the car please? And a bit of driving?

You need to make these into a series. They are awesome.
I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. The easiest way would be to just drive wearing the headset and capture the direct feed (and I plan to do some of that) but there are a bunch of YouTube channels doing this and it seems like the 'through-the-lens' effect is somehow slightly more authentic at capturing the feel of using the headset.

Well, it was a race-seat-wheels-and-pedals kinda thing, but my impulse purchase had enraged my wife to such an extent that we enjoyed a good hour long argument about frivolous purchases... before she ironically went out to buy some Prada shoes. We came to a compromise, if she returned the shoes, I'd return the rig (but still get a wheel stand). Surprisingly, she conceded and the shoes went back.

So, my family story aside, here's what I originally had:

Rosso Modello GTD Simulator Spec-i. I couldn't recommend this enough, such a comfortable driving position and ridged wheel stand. If I ever get divorced… etc etc

Here's what I have now:

Apiga AP2 Foldable Stand (new version). I'm mightily impressed so far. It's sturdy, highly adjustable and folds away neatly, keeping the pedals & wheels in place. The only negative for me is that it can get a tiny tiny bit wobbly when the arms are fully extended, so I'm using a lower seat and shortened arms to keep the stand solid.
Cheers, I'll give them a look.

Mascot

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. The easiest way would be to just drive wearing the headset and capture the direct feed (and I plan to do some of that) but there are a bunch of YouTube channels doing this and it seems like the 'through-the-lens' effect is somehow slightly more authentic at capturing the feel of using the headset.
Totally!

I sure as hell hope I don't have to redownload anything.
After an overnight download, the T500 issue still persisted. What a waste of time/bandwidth. I've since discovered the problem stemmed from a conflict with a USB Saturn Gamepad that I'd plugged in recently. The moment it was removed, GSC and my T500 shook hands, settled their differences and let me get on with my day.

When in doubt, blame it on Sega ;)

Yeah, I found out pretty quickly too that the T500 is really finicky about USB. I had all kinds of phantom problems from using a hub with it.

I don't know if you've come across this little piece of software yet, but I find it very helpful. Some sims like different settings, some sims like GSC need their car rotation done by hand (karts vs cars). It just makes it easy to manage it all.

Still having the same graphical problems in GSC by the way. Nothing has really changed. Groan. I'll start looking through the various forums tomorrow looking for potential fixes. They did fix the AI however, so there's that...

No, but the ffb strength and quality is roughly comparable. It's certainly not night and day. If you're that critical of the motor differences, chances are you're going to want the much better pedal set. That's why you'd spend the money.

TJP

Still having the same graphical problems in GSC by the way. Nothing has really changed. Groan. I'll start looking through the various forums tomorrow looking for potential fixes. They did fix the AI however, so there's that...
Same here. No other issues other than the Formula Vee giving completely crap frame rates on many tracks. Driving solo, I see as much as 390fps - add 33 AI F-Vee and I get 22fps just sitting in the pits! Racing against 33 AI cars from other classes sees frame rate average around 180 fps which includes smoke and dust - known fps killers in rFactor based sims.

The solution I've been told is to remove the GSC-E installation, download a 'fresh' copy of version 1.15 and use the GSC Sync to grab the updates to 1.21 A few users are informing that this removes the frame rate issue. Funny thing is Reiza seem to be unable to replicate the problem on their PC's...

No, but the ffb strength and quality is roughly comparable. It's certainly not night and day. If you're that critical of the motor differences, chances are you're going to want the much better pedal set. That's why you'd spend the money.

Yeah, not much between them at all if the T300 is basically a TX. Different feel but not massively so.

I'd ever so slightly take the T500 over a TX/T300 at the same price.

Same here. No other issues other than the Formula Vee giving completely crap frame rates on many tracks. Driving solo, I see as much as 390fps - add 33 AI F-Vee and I get 22fps just sitting in the pits! Racing against 33 AI cars from other classes sees frame rate average around 180 fps which includes smoke and dust - known fps killers in rFactor based sims.

The solution I've been told is to remove the GSC-E installation, download a 'fresh' copy of version 1.15 and use the GSC Sync to grab the updates to 1.21 A few users are informing that this removes the frame rate issue. Funny thing is Reiza seem to be unable to replicate the problem on their PC's...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I see too. Not usable. I also had severe shadow flicker creep in after about 15 minutes on original content (F3@ Goiania) even with time scale off. Something is clearly not right with the renderer.

I even started completely from scratch with 1.15 and sync'd to 1.21. Made absolutely zero difference.

Shaneus

So, I stumbled across this pitch video thing on KartSim for something called thebigpitch.com.au. I don't think it won (it did get "People's Choice" though, whatever it is) but there are some interesting tidbits to come from it:

*Will be released (whether that's final or not, I'm not sure) in 6 months
*Had queries from numerous publishers, biggest of which was Milestone
*Plan is to develop for Playstation and Xbox platforms (I'd assume PS4 and One)

Given that Milestone is a console pub, that's a pretty big offer for them to have had. Curious to see how this all progresses!

TJP

Yeah, that's pretty much what I see too. Not usable. I also had severe shadow flicker creep in after about 15 minutes on original content (F3@ Goiania) even with time scale off. Something is clearly not right with the renderer.

I even started completely from scratch with 1.15 and sync'd to 1.21. Made absolutely zero difference.
Damn. I was going to try a fresh install of version 1.15 and upgrade to version 1.21 from there to see if it fixed the issue. As an aside, what videocard to you have? I'm using a EVGA GTX 680. I ask because there is a 'Wombat' d3d9.dll from the rFactor Central forum that was supposed to fix the issue for Nvidia GPU's, at least according to a few people on the RD forums. I've tried this fix and GSC-E failed to load, crashed and created a dump file. The dll is either kaput or doesn't work with the Win 8.1 Pro x64 OS.

Suggestions on Race Department include (a) downloading a fresh version of release 1.15 and updating to version 1.21, and (b) using an old rFactor Central mod refered to as Wombat's dll fix. The problem with the second option is the modded dll caused GSC-E to crash prior to the intro movie. Not a great start...

I found several other dll files in an old rFactor thread (circa 2010-11) on NoGrip: Techade's d3d9.dll as suggested by Reiza's Niels at Home and "version 2" of Wombat's d3d9.dll & at 301kb, it's a lot larger than the rFactor Central hosted dll. Both appear to fix the low frame rate in the pits issue - the new problem was sitting at the back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic results in frame rates of 39fps and 40fps respectively :(

Interestingly, I found another option: use the d3d9.dll found in Windows 8.1 System32 folder (I'm using 8.1 Pro x64). It's an MS authored file from 2014 & it solves the pitlane frame rate issue plus the minimum frame rate back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic was over 100fps.

I used the same Win 8.1 d3d9.dll for the 2014 Stock Cars and saw as high as 427fps during qualifying and a minimum of 187fps at the back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic. It is the same story for F-Reiza and F-Extreme and any other car you want to try. Frame rate issues are non-existent for all cars other than the F-Vee.

TJP

So, I stumbled across this pitch video thing on KartSim for something called thebigpitch.com.au. I don't think it won (it did get "People's Choice" though, whatever it is) but there are some interesting tidbits to come from it:

*Will be released (whether that's final or not, I'm not sure) in 6 months
*Had queries from numerous publishers, biggest of which was Milestone
*Plan is to develop for Playstation and Xbox platforms (I'd assume PS4 and One)

Given that Milestone is a console pub, that's a pretty big offer for them to have had. Curious to see how this all progresses!
It's a great offer but I'd tread carefully to find a publisher that won't screw him/her over.

Damn. I was going to try a fresh install of version 1.15 and upgrade to version 1.21 from there to see if it fixed the issue. As an aside, what videocard to you have? I'm using a EVGA GTX 680. I ask because there is a 'Wombat' d3d9.dll from the rFactor Central forum that was supposed to fix the issue for Nvidia GPU's, at least according to a few people on the RD forums. I've tried this fix and GSC-E failed to load, crashed and created a dump file. The dll is either kaput or doesn't work with the Win 8.1 Pro x64 OS.

Suggestions on Race Department include (a) downloading a fresh version of release 1.15 and updating to version 1.21, and (b) using an old rFactor Central mod refered to as Wombat's dll fix. The problem with the second option is the modded dll caused GSC-E to crash prior to the intro movie. Not a great start...

I found several other dll files in an old rFactor thread (circa 2010-11) on NoGrip: Techade's d3d9.dll as suggested by Reiza's Niels at Home and "version 2" of Wombat's d3d9.dll & at 301kb, it's a lot larger than the rFactor Central hosted dll. Both appear to fix the low frame rate in the pits issue - the new problem was sitting at the back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic results in frame rates of 39fps and 40fps respectively :(

Interestingly, I found another option: use the d3d9.dll found in Windows 8.1 System32 folder (I'm using 8.1 Pro x64). It's an MS authored file from 2014 & it solves the pitlane frame rate issue plus the minimum frame rate back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic was over 100fps.

I used the same Win 8.1 d3d9.dll for the 2014 Stock Cars and saw as high as 427fps during qualifying and a minimum of 187fps at the back of a 33 car grid at Spielberg Historic. It is the same story for F-Reiza and F-Extreme and any other car you want to try. Frame rate issues are non-existent for all cars other than the F-Vee.

780ti, and like you, W8.1 pro x64. Maybe that's the issue as that gent suggested to you at RD...

Wombat dll - same, wouldn't load.
Tried to use both as he suggested - same.
Clamped neg LOD bias dll - awesome, but didn't fix my problems.

Are you getting stuttering and bad frame rate (two separate things)? I am. It's by far the worst on the Vee, but it's still a thing on other cars as well. As I mentioned before, I also have shadow issues as well. It inconsistently creeps in however.

I haven't gone so far as to start looking at AA, AF, or any other potentially grumpy settings. Everything's defaulted with Inspector and I'm just using GSC's options.

Glad you like it :) Shame YT kills the quality so much. I might upload the next one in 1080 (despite the camera only capturing at 720) to try reduce that quality loss.

I was also hoping to show the headlights come on at the end there, but as you can imagine I was capturing from a replay this time (no way I can drive accurately 'live' while recording in this manner) and there must be a bug at the moment that prevents the manual activation of headlights play back properly in replays. The lights come on (sometimes) but crucially the interior lights don't, and they look absolutely superb thanks to the OLED contrast. Hopefully I can show this in a separate video.

TJP

780ti, and like you, W8.1 pro x64. Maybe that's the issue as that gent suggested to you at RD...

Wombat dll - same, wouldn't load.
Tried to use both as he suggested - same.
Clamped neg LOD bias dll - awesome, but didn't fix my problems.

Are you getting stuttering and bad frame rate (two separate things)? I am. It's by far the worst on the Vee, but it's still a thing on other cars as well. As I mentioned before, I also have shadow issues as well. It inconsistently creeps in however.

I haven't gone so far as to start looking at AA, AF, or any other potentially grumpy settings. Everything's defaulted with Inspector and I'm just using GSC's options.
I had both stuttering and bad frame rate only with the Formula Vee at certain tracks until I tried the Win 8.1 dll. It's not a perfect solution but it is far better than the default file. The only other step I can think of is turning off the time scale option.

There is no doubt in my mind that the F-Vee cars are a resource hog: a full 33 car grid of F-Vee cars runs very nearly at half the frame rate of any other vehicles I've tested on the same track. The issue is compounded for people using Kepler based GPU's. So far as I can ascertain, anyone who has complained of stuttering/hitching/bad frame rate when driving the F-Vee with a decent sized grid has been using a 600 or 700 series GPU. And for what it's worth; I don't have any funky settings within Nvidia Inspector either - I run GSC with level 4 AA with a preference for max performance via inspector & I clamp the negative LOD bias too.

Further, I've tried the usual isimotor 2 tricks of adjusting the config.ini file to have the correct stats for both SystemRAM & VideoRAM plus set the ObjDetail=5 and TexDetail=5. My .plr file's Extra Visible Vehicles was set to 33 down from 105 but to be 100% honest, I have no idea if these actually do anything or are nothing more than a throwback to the days of GTR 2 ..

Shawsie64

Banned
Trust me, once you've played a driving sim on the Rift, even in its current state, there is no going back.

This is true. I'm really really craving DK2 support in iracing as I cant go back to flat monitors and they said its not due till next season :(.. Pcars is laggy for me no matter what I do so stuck with LFS at the moment.

Mascot

Glad you like it :) Shame YT kills the quality so much. I might upload the next one in 1080 (despite the camera only capturing at 720) to try reduce that quality loss.

I was also hoping to show the headlights come on at the end there, but as you can imagine I was capturing from a replay this time (no way I can drive accurately 'live' while recording in this manner) and there must be a bug at the moment that prevents the manual activation of headlights play back properly in replays. The lights come on (sometimes) but crucially the interior lights don't, and they look absolutely superb thanks to the OLED contrast. Hopefully I can show this in a separate video.

I'd love to see this. How about having the headlights on all the time, even before night kicks in? Would that work?
The way the pits illuminated on your last video looked amazing. Can you maybe stop next to them after driving in to get a good look?

BTW, what are your PC specs and what settings are you playing on?

Keep these coming if you can, Pazuzu. They are brilliant.

Arucardo

I'd love to see this. How about having the headlights on all the time, even before night kicks in? Would that work?
The way the pits illuminated on your last video looked amazing. Can you maybe stop next to them after driving in to get a good look?

BTW, what are your PC specs and what settings are you playing on?

Keep these coming if you can, Pazuzu. They are brilliant.

If you like Pazuzu9's videos you should check out these GamerMuscleVideos' clips with the DK2 in pCARS (and other games if you're interested). I love his enthusiasm for this, made me laugh when I watched his first impressions with the DK2.

PROJECT CARS DK2 FIRST IMPRESSIONS - GamerMuscle

PROJECT CARS OCULUS RIFT NIGHT DRIVE - GamerMuscle

Top Bottom