• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I'd love to see this. How about having the headlights on all the time, even before night kicks in? Would that work?
The way the pits illuminated on your last video looked amazing. Can you maybe stop next to them after driving in to get a good look?

BTW, what are your PC specs and what settings are you playing on?

Keep these coming if you can, Pazuzu. They are brilliant.
The only way the interior lights are illuminated from the start of the replay is if it is already completely dark (and then if I turn them off when the sun comes back up, the interior lights stay on). I suppose I could start at night, drive around for an entire day with them on so I can capture the sunset again, but that would take ages, even at 60x acceleration... and you still don't get the wow factor of the lights coming on manually. It's not that great to watch at night - it really is very dark and my camera is just as crap in the virtual night as it is in the real-world night. I'll figure something out!

My specs are i7 870, 8GB RAM, 2GB GTX 670. The settings are a mixture of low, medium and high - car and world detail is on high, shadows are on medium, reflections are on low, etc. I've found a specific set of options that give me 75fps at 1080p while not losing too much eye candy (send me a PM if you want the full details, I'm a bit wary of going into it too much with their NDA situation). Bear in mind that some features are totally disabled at the moment in VR mode - namely the casted shadows and the god rays. This is why overcast/rainy clips look better at the moment - those conditions don't really make use of the god rays and the shadows would be naturally diffused. Clear day footage is sorely missing the crisp casted shadows.

It's strange that GamerMuscle seems to be getting pretty choppy performance even after he turned the settings down - he said he's on a 760, which I thought was pretty similar to a 670 in performance. I suspect it could be the way he's capturing that's causing the problem.

Mascot

The only way the interior lights are illuminated from the start of the replay is if it is already completely dark (and then if I turn them off when the sun comes back up, the interior lights stay on). I suppose I could start at night, drive around for an entire day with them on so I can capture the sunset again, but that would take ages, even at 60x acceleration... and you still don't get the wow factor of the lights coming on manually. It's not that great to watch at night - it really is very dark and my camera is just as crap in the virtual night as it is in the real-world night. I'll figure something out!

My specs are i7 870, 8GB RAM, 2GB GTX 670. The settings are a mixture of low, medium and high - car and world detail is on high, shadows are on medium, reflections are on low, etc. I've found a specific set of options that give me 75fps at 1080p while not losing too much eye candy (send me a PM if you want the full details, I'm a bit wary of going into it too much with their NDA situation). Bear in mind that some features are totally disabled at the moment in VR mode - namely the casted shadows and the god rays. This is why overcast/rainy clips look better at the moment - those conditions don't really make use of the god rays and the shadows would be naturally diffused. Clear day footage is sorely missing the crisp casted shadows.

Interesting stuff! Looking forward very much to your next video. Be interested to see one in bright sun to compare.

Was just curious about your specs as I'll be building a PC in the foreseeable and will probably go OTT. You seem to get pretty good performance from your rig.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Hi guys, I leave you this video and I hope you enjoy it!

Overlay Effect where is superimposed the real image of my hands and steering wheel with the game of Game Stock Car Extreme. ;)

Watevaman

Hey adrian, just thought I'd let you know that when you link to videos via a .webp file, not everyone can see it. I know all I see is what you write. I actually have to quote you to get the Youtube link.

Here's another 'through the lens' clip in the same car and location as the previous video, to show the headlights and interior lighting at night and driving closer to the pit area as requested. I also briefly tried to show how it looks when looking backwards, but due to the way I was holding the headset (covering up some of the IR LEDs), the tracking crapped out a bit.

http://youtu.be/mLI_ui-i6vQ

Here's another 'through the lens' clip in the same car and location as the previous video, to show the headlights and interior lighting at night and driving closer to the pit area as requested. I also briefly tried to show how it looks when looking backwards, but due to the way I was holding the headset (covering up some of the IR LEDs), the tracking crapped out a bit.

http://youtu.be/mLI_ui-i6vQ

Hideo Kojima Kazunori Yamauchi and Guillermo del Toro have teamed up to create T.C., a Silent Hill driving sim.

ISI showing off a couple of "Howston" branded Cup cars for rFactor2.

Really nice looking models.

Bv6E9bDCAAAzaYd.jpg-large.jpg
Bv6E82yCYAAjAdt.jpg-large.jpg

The rF2 thread is dead, Jim. What do you say she moves in over here with us?

Ark

Does anyone know anything about this rumoured iRacing DX11 thing? I've heard about it a little but I'm kinda hoping it's legit. The game looks exactly how it did in 2011 when I used to play and even though I'm thoroughly enjoying it more now, it does look like ass.

TJP

The rF2 thread is dead, Jim. What do you say she moves in over here with us?
A few of us have tried to keep the rF2 thread going; no one here seems to give a fuck about it...

New additions are great (explains the oval track on the ISI Track team Twitter) but 2 cars look lame against the news from Kunos.

Does anyone know anything about this rumoured iRacing DX11 thing? I've heard about it a little but I'm kinda hoping it's legit. The game looks exactly how it did in 2011 when I used to play and even though I'm thoroughly enjoying it more now, it does look like ass.
It's not a rumour, they've been actively working on a DX11 upgrade for months, it has been mentioned by staff many times in the forum. The main graphics guy who would be expected to implement DK2 support can't find the time to do so because he is 'very busy on an important project', so we can assume that is DX11 coming along nicely. However, I'd be surprised if we see it this year. While it is need of an update, I wouldn't say it currently looks 'like ass' - in the right conditions it can look really good, particularly on the recently-launched tracks and cars. What they should be doing in the meantime is updating the tracks included in the base content. LRP and Summit Point in particular are so old that they look like they're from a different product compared to the tracks they've made in the last couple of years. It can't be giving a good first impression to new members.

Arucardo

Fuuuuuuuck yes. That's an awesome license to have... I don't even think SMS have Toyota on board with pCARS?

Wonder which Celica?

Interesting no GT-One in that list. Maybe they'll get Mazda and give us some 787B action.

Oh you mean something like this? ;)

http://www.virtualr.net/mazda-787b-assetto-corsa-two-new-renders

I know it's fan made, but I'm sure it's on par with official content or very close to it.

Also, slightly off topic but I saw this in the funny pictures thread and couldn't help but share it, haha:

ibjYeF2YZDrsN8.gif

Look at the mirror

Seanspeed

Banned
Dang. But I bet it's a Forza rip or something and will be gone all too soon :(
Not a rip. Entirely homemade!

Car model looks great. Its the sound and physics that will determine how great it is to actually drive, though. Interior animations also need to be done well.

Shaneus

There's already a forza rip for AC with questionable physics but this one is 100% scratch made.
Not a rip. Entirely homemade!

Car model looks great. Its the sound and physics that will determine how great it is to actually drive, though. Interior animations also need to be done well.
Jeeeeeesus. That's incredible, then!

Excited.

Edit: I don't think it was linked to in that article, but this is the original WIP thread for it. Me gusta!

Was this posted as well? I don't recall seeing it here or in the AC thread:

Hail Kunos!

Arucardo

New Fanatec wheel being revealed tomorrow it seems. Looks like it's a servo wheel too.

There's some speculation going around that it's PS4 and XBONE compatible too but I wouldn't put too much hope in to that. If it is though, I'm definitely getting one :p

There's a teaser picture with "Next Generation" on it but it could just mean it's the "next generation" of PC racing wheels. The Fanatec facebook page has a bunch of teaser pictures.

Zeknurn

New Fanatec wheel being revealed tomorrow it seems. Looks like it's a servo wheel too.

There's some speculation going around that it's PS4 and XBONE compatible too but I wouldn't put too much hope in to that. If it is though, I'm definitely getting one :p

I guess they're basing that on the fact that the teaser picture had a blue and a green led. Whatever the compatibilities I just hope it isn't expensive as hell.

Mascot

That would be the unlikeliest thing ever to have happened in the history of videogaming.

Would buy.

Mr.Green

I currently have a Fanatec Porshe Turbos S wheel and I'm toying with the idea of getting a better one. This would either be the CSW or this new one. We'll see.

Minimum $500 for that wheel. Anything less I'll be surprised
The ClubSport base is already $500. This is being teased as a 'brushless servo' wheel and therefore much more high end. Unless they've found a really cheap motor, it's going to be well over $1000. If it's going to be remotely comparable to other servo wheels, I'd expect it to be over $2000.

Arucardo

You will have plenty of time to save up, this is Fanatec were talking about here. They move at a snails pace.

Actually, this is what they said on the facebook page so who knows:

Fanatec Not hyping = increasing chance that nobody will notice the product

At least we are not hyping a new product for several months like some game developers do. It will be available right away

So maybe it's coming sooner than later.

Bodnar wheel - $2400, SimXperience AccuForce wheel - "under $2000", Fanatec servo wheel? A thousand bucks would be an incredible undercut. Not to mention the licensing fees etc associated with the consoles, if indeed it's all the same single product.

I'm very curious to see what this is all about.

Arucardo

Well, I'm sure it's cheaper for Fanatec to manufacture it than for Bodnar or SimX and they're probably making much bigger quantities of them which brings down the price on the parts too.

My guess is that it's anywhere from 900 to 1500usd. If it's any less than that color me surprised. If it's more than that then holy shit, lol.

Branson

The ClubSport base is already $500. This is being teased as a 'brushless servo' wheel and therefore much more high end. Unless they've found a really cheap motor, it's going to be well over $1000. If it's going to be remotely comparable to other servo wheels, I'd expect it to be over $2000.

Fuuuuck that.

Well, I'm sure it's cheaper for Fanatec to manufacture it than for Bodnar or SimX and they're probably making much bigger quantities of them which brings down the price on the parts too.

My guess is that it's anywhere from 900 to 1500usd. If it's any less than that color me surprised. If it's more than that then holy shit, lol.

For sure.

Producing them in China, as they do, will represent a huge amount of savings over the homegrown boutique stuff. $1K for a naked base is my Price is Right guess.

Fanatec have gone cheap on the motors before, is a less powerful motor of this type much cheaper?

Maybe Thomas can source something in China.

Edit: Yeah. Beaten.

Ark

It's not a rumour, they've been actively working on a DX11 upgrade for months, it has been mentioned by staff many times in the forum. The main graphics guy who would be expected to implement DK2 support can't find the time to do so because he is 'very busy on an important project', so we can assume that is DX11 coming along nicely. However, I'd be surprised if we see it this year. While it is need of an update, I wouldn't say it currently looks 'like ass' - in the right conditions it can look really good, particularly on the recently-launched tracks and cars. What they should be doing in the meantime is updating the tracks included in the base content. LRP and Summit Point in particular are so old that they look like they're from a different product compared to the tracks they've made in the last couple of years. It can't be giving a good first impression to new members.

Ah this is good news indeed. I was really hoping we'd see it this year but I'll take it around the Corvette DP happily.

I'm really excited for the new V8SC we're supposed to be getting along with Monza. Hoping to run the V8's and GT3, with some Indy too, next season.

Servo wheel: ELI5 please.

The motors used in a "regular" wheels are small and inexpensive. In order for the forces at the steering wheel to be enough for some decent force feedback, the motor output needs to be run through a series of gears and/or belts.

A servo or "direct drive" wheel is a steering wheel attached to a shaft which is directly attached to the motor. That motor now needs to be much stronger to deliver forces directly. It's much bigger, stronger and more expensive. It also needs a lot of electricity to power it which is why the power supply and all the rest of the electronics are broken off from the wheel/motor section.

Servo wheels step away from the plastic toys we're all used to. They're serious pieces of kit with serious price tags.

EDIT: Maybe that wasn't "five" enough. Very powerful, very direct, very reliable, very expensive.

Lach

While the new fanatec is probably out of my price range, I'm really starting to get fed up with the spring rattling of my G27 and I'm thinking of upgrading. Is upgrading to a T500 worth it? Or what would be better alternatives in its price range?

Arucardo

This is the new wheel from Fanatec (CSW V2):

Definitely not a servo. Who knows what's changed on the inside since the outside looks pretty much the same as the current club sport. Waiting for more info on this.

While the new fanatec is probably out of my price range, I'm really starting to get fed up with the spring rattling of my G27 and I'm thinking of upgrading. Is upgrading to a T500 worth it? Or what would be better alternatives in its price range?
If you don't care about plastic pedals, go for the T300. It's of very similar build quality/parts to the T500, but $200 cheaper.

Lach

If you don't care about plastic pedals, go for the T300. It's of very similar build quality/parts to the T500, but $200 cheaper.

T300 is definatly on my radar, especially as I have a PS4 and might at some point want to use a wheel on it. But I don't like that it only comes with a two pedal set. For stuff like Euro Truck Simulator I'd like to have a clutch + H-Shift (which would be an additional buy as well)...

Top Bottom