• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

For me going from plastic pedals to the Club Sport V2 was the same leap as going from a 360 controller to steering wheel. The difference was phenomenal. I'd put the $200 saved towards the CSV2 (which I think are priced around $250).

Lach

For me going from plastic pedals to the Club Sport V2 was the same leap as going from a 360 controller to steering wheel. The difference was phenomenal. I'd put the $200 saved towards the CSV2 (which I think are priced around $250).

Sounds like a good combo...
I'll wait for more info (pricing) of the new fanatec CSW to maybe go there....

Mascot

Goddammit, these recent Rift videos have given me serious pause for thought about building a gaming PC at the end of this year. The original plan was to build when pCARS is officially released (to universally glowing reviews, hopefully) and when the GeForce 800 series video cards are out. Now I’m thinking I should wait another year until the consumer Rift is out to get the full immersive impact. There are a few other factors in play:
1. There’ll be more bang-for-buck from PC hardware this time next year, and better specs (by all accounts, important for the best Rift experience)
2. pCARS will have had an additional year of refinement, debugging, expansions, optimisation etc by then
3. My Vaio laptop runs Race Pro great, and Assetto Corsa in a fugly but smooth way, and both are scratching my sim-itch more than adequately right now
4. It’ll probably take me a year to work through my huge 360/PS3 backlog of shame
Mmm… decisions, decisions. I won’t know for sure until pCARS is out in the wild and how it reviews. Hopefully I won’t be able to resist.

Arucardo

HOLY SHIT, it is servo and it's 499 and works on PS4 AND XBOX ONE!

I am literally blown away, well done Fanatec

http://www.fanatec.com/forum/discus...-wheel-base-v2-servo-power-and-multi-platform

The day has come and I am proud to show you the brand new ClubSport Wheel Base V2.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Although it looks familiar to you it has almost no part which has not been modified or replaced to make it a better base.

Our
focus was durability, durability, durability and then performance. And
while we made a radical re-design, we decided to make an offer nobody
can refuse.

The smoothness, vividness and precision of a Direct Drive wheel combined with a torque increase of
about 75% and (optional) compatibility to the latest gaming
consoles. And all that with a moderate price increase.

Here are the details:

7 Ultra Precise
We
replaced the optical sensor with two magnetic high resolution hall
sensors mounted on both the motor and the steering axis. The new sensors have double
the resolution and the magnetic sensore are less vulnerable to dust or scratched
code discs.

6 Smoothastic
The cogging of this system
cannot be felt by a human anymore. It is incredible smooth and feels
natural and realistic. It is on par or better with the best and most
expensive wheel out there although those wheels costs a multiple of the
CSW B V2.
Every little bump can be felt and effects which were
filtered by the wheel mechanics can now be felt. Your racing simulations
will feel different and new to you.

5 Rock Solid
Our focus was to achieve high durability even for hardcore users.
• Improved QR release with rubber o-ring and less tolerance in production
• A brushless motor which can be cooled much easier as it gets hot on the outside and not on the inside so heat can be transfered better
• New cooling system featuring an additional fan on the backside right behind the new huge heat sink
• Integrated heat sensor inside the motor
•
Motor can now even be operated at 180 C° although the FOR overclocking would be de-activated already at 120 C° and FF would shut down at 130°C.
The motor has plenty of power so most people will not use max settings
anyway. And during betatests it never happened that a motor was shut down or the FF was cut due to overheating.
• Ball bearings on the motor axis and bigger ball bearings
inside the pulleys so we can increase the belt tension and avoid any belt
slip. At the same time we have much less drag in the system.
• Magnetic sensors instead of the optical so we avoid problems with dust and scratches
• New main cable
• New electronics
• And many other small improvements to the overall build quality

4 Power. A lot.
The
new motor is custom designed and exclusive to Fanatec. Although the
gear ratio has been changed to increase the rotation speed, it delivers
about 75% more torque than the CSW B V1. This means over 7 NM of sheer
power and this is enough to use even heavy rims with no disadvantages.
The size of the power supply has also increased in order to feed the big motor.

3 Brushless Servo
A
brushless servo motor is currently state-of-the-art for force feedback
systems and in principle this is exactly the same motor as the most
expensive direct drive base units out there.
• Smooth performance with no cogging (in combination with our Poly-V belt drive system or direct drive)
• Easier to cool as the heat is on the outside of the motor and not on the motor shaft
• Strong axis with ball bearings
• Optimized for use in stall at max power
• Fast acceleration
• More efficiency -> more torque with same power

We
had to develop entire new electronics for that motor as the motor
driver is quite complex. Now that it is done we can easily use it for
smaller brushless motors or a direct drive wheel.

2 Next Generation
The ClubSport Wheel Base V2 is the next generation of ourwheel base but there is also a strong demand of wheels for “Next-Gen” consoles. People
were asking us to make their wheels compatible to the Xbox One and
Playstation 4 but if we want to make it official and legal then we need
to follow the rules of the console makers and they clearly do not allow
that.
So how can we make a product where there is a chance that the
customer can keep at least most of the equipment he purchased? We can
easily make the pedals, shifters and handbrake compatible and this is
what we did but what about the base unit?
And how can we make a
product multi-platform compatible if we can only get approval for a
license if the product has only the symbols of either one console on it?
We
came up with an idea which brings modularity to a whole new level and
protects your investment. If you play on PC then just go ahead and
purchase the wheel base as it is and you will not be bothered with
symbols which might hurt your eye.
But if you want to enjoy the painless
simplicity of a console with its great exclusive racing simulations then
you will get the option to buy an optional steering wheel which will
add full console compatibility to this base.

We want to achieve
compatibility to both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and we are happy to
announce that we already signed a contract with one of them. We will
announce this product at the end of this year.
There will be multiple
steering wheels available in different price ranges and they will
compatible to several Fanatec base units from mid-range to direct drive.

1 By Invitation Only
The
great response we get from our beta testers lead us to the conclusion
that the demand for this product will be much bigger than the supply. Production output will be lower as before as we spend even more time on quality control and testing.
At
the same time we want to honor the loyalty of our existing customers
and want to offer a special pre-order discount for the owners of the
current ClubSport and CSR Elite base so that they can enjoy a little
upgrade advantage.
This is how it works:
• We will send an e-mail to our webshop customers with an invite code. There will be several waves of e-mails in the next months.
• Only after you entered the code to your profile page you will be able to purchase or pre-order this product
• After you purchased one V2 base you will receive a second code. You can give that to a friend or buy a second base.
•
Only one code will be given with a purchase as we want to avoid that
people are selling their products or invites on eBay and make money with
it.
• We will also give away invites in giveaway events so
frequent followers of the blog or Facebook will also get a chance to get
an invite

This is the priority we will use for the invites to make it as fair and transparent as possible.
1. Webshop customers of the CSW B V1 and CSR E (sorted by purchase date)
2. Webshop customers of other ClubSport products like CSP or CSS
3. All other Fanatec customers

Of course we will treat all territories with the same priority.

Not
every customer will use his invite so go ahead and ask your friends if
they use their invite of if they give it to you in case you are not on
the list yet. It is possible and welcome to transfer invite codes.

Please
do not ask our sales team for invites. They are not authorized to give
out codes anyway. If it is your turn then you will get an e-mail. We
will open a thread in our forum which explains more details and where
you can also ask for invites from other members.

By the way, all
lucky customers who placed a pre-order for the old V1 base just got a
free upgrade to V2 and they are the first to receive the new product.

The Price

Pre-order price:
EU: 499,95
USA: 499,95
AUS: 655
J: 65.000

Regular price:
EU: 599,95
USA: 599,95
AUS: 785
J: 78.000

Prices are calculated different in the regions depending on taxes, laws, logistic costs and other local costs.

Availability

We
started production this week and as soon as we start shipping, we will
open the pre-orders for the invited guests. The first products should
arrive at the end of September or early October.

Arucardo

I'm buying this as soon as possible, especially because of the "Invite system"

Probably putting in an order next month. The "highest end" product I've bought from them is the CSR Elite pedals so I'm not that high on the list lol.

EDIT: Ah, the PS4 and XBONE compatibility isn't as straight forward as I thought. You basically have to get a rim/wheel that is ps4 or xbox one specific to get compatibility (not Fanatec's fault but the console manufacturers insisted on it) so expect to pay more for it if you need it.

EDIT: So far they've have one of the console deals locked (probably PS4) and hopefully they'll have the other one too soon.

Well let's be clear, it's not comparable to a direct-drive Bodnar. It's still belt-driven like the previous ClubSport. However it sounds like a much better motor (and sounds like one motor instead of two now?) and a significant upgrade for the same price.

Mascot

EDIT: Ah, the PS4 and XBONE compatibility isn't as straight forward as I thought. You basically have to get a rim/wheel that is ps4 or xbox one specific to get compatibility (not Fanatec's fault but the console manufacturers insisted on it) so expect to pay more for it if you need it.
Fuck - that sucks.

Does the €499 purchase come with any rim?

Arucardo

Well let's be clear, it's not comparable to a direct-drive Bodnar. It's still belt-driven like the previous ClubSport. However it sounds like a much better motor (and sounds like one motor instead of two now?) and a significant upgrade for the same price.

I guess they think differently:

3 Brushless Servo
A
brushless servo motor is currently state-of-the-art for force feedback
systems and in principle this is exactly the same motor as the most
expensive direct drive base units out there.
• Smooth performance with no cogging (in combination with our Poly-V belt drive system or direct drive)
• Easier to cool as the heat is on the outside of the motor and not on the motor shaft
• Strong axis with ball bearings
• Optimized for use in stall at max power
• Fast acceleration
• More efficiency -> more torque with same power

Not arguing against you though. Can't wait for actual comparisons between this and "proper" direct drive wheels.

So seeing how they charge 100 for just vanilla rims, I'm guessing $150-200 for the PS4/XB1 rim. So were getting close to that $1000 some were speculating earlier.

Lach

I'm definatly interested but I don't think I'd be able to get one this year.

How is the old wheel base? (compared to let's say the Thrustmaster's)? Worth the double price? I have an ebay offer of a brand new one for 400€ very close to me.

Of course I have to get a wheel, pedals, h-shift and probably a wheel stand on top of that...

I imagine it's mostly to do with the motor not being powerful or durable enough to be direct drive (acting as the steering column). This is likely to be a fairly low strength servomotor (compared to Bodnar, SimXperience), and the belts and pulleys act to increase the strength as with conventional FFB wheels.

Juicy Bob

C'mon Logitech. Give us a G29 with a more rectangular, single-seater style wheel shape and make it next-gen compatible and I'll get one
in 2018, when I've saved up enough money...

I imagine it's mostly to do with the motor not being powerful or durable enough to be direct drive (acting as the steering column). This is likely to be a fairly low strength servomotor (compared to Bodnar, SimXperience), and the belts and pulleys act to increase the strength as with conventional FFB wheels.

The slack and wear of belts is surely going to take something away from a true direct drive solution. My belts used to honk and slip under stress, hope this is going to be well tested before release.

Megasoum

Banned
That looks like a good deal until you add in the coat for 2 rims

Yup... Fanatec continue to be on the elitist side.

This makes me even more happy with my choice of dumping Fanatec last month. Now I'm really enjoying my TX with Forza and by the time we get a game worth of playing with a wheel on PS4 (GT7 in a couple of years) I'll try
To get my hands on a cheap T300 base that will work with all the rims/shifters I already have for the TX.

The only Fanatec product I still use are the CSP set that I have plugged in the TX.

Also, I'm a LOT more confident that the game devs on console will calibrate their game for the officially supported wheels (TX/T300) than for the Fanatec wheels that a couple of hundreds of people are using.

Its a clever idea to use the rim as the way to get around the cross platform issues. If they offered a cheaper base I feel they could gain more traction. A $250 base would have more people willing to jump in, buying one rim right away and another one down the line.

Lach

Ok I think I'm going with the T500. Around here it's not really more expensive than the T300 and most stores don't seem to sell it until October (which makes sense if you treat it as a PS4 wheel). It also seems compatible with the WSP stand I currently use with my G27.

Downside is the lack of a shifter in the package.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well you guys can all have your super expensive professional wheels, I just ordered my first gaming wheel since my ColecoVision Turbo Adapter, I'm getting a Logitech G27. Should be here in a week or two according to Amazon. Looking very forward to playing all of my driving games with a wheel instead of an Xbox360 pad for a change. I also have a TrackIR5 coming too. I know most of you are going to say "should have just got the DK2 instead" but I'm just not ready for that leap yet, the tech is still "new" and I'd like to wait a bit before going that route, let the virtual stuff mature for awhile. (Besides, the TrackIR5 is more for FSX than anything else.)

I'm really wondering how much I'm about to improve my track times by....

Seanspeed

Banned
Well you guys can all have your super expensive professional wheels, I just ordered my first gaming wheel since my ColecoVision Turbo Adapter, I'm getting a Logitech G27. Should be here in a week or two according to Amazon. Looking very forward to playing all of my driving games with a wheel instead of an Xbox360 pad for a change. I also have a TrackIR5 coming too. I know most of you are going to say "should have just got the DK2 instead" but I'm just not ready for that leap yet, the tech is still "new" and I'd like to wait a bit before going that route, let the virtual stuff mature for awhile. (Besides, the TrackIR5 is more for FSX than anything else.)

I'm really wondering how much I'm about to improve my track times by....
Its likely you'll ultimately be quicker with a wheel, but don't expect to be any better right away.

G27 is a good wheel, though.

Pallie

Banned
After getting burned by the last gen's compatibility issues, I'm hesitant to buy any new wheel regardless of manufacturer when it comes to playing on consoles. I did however treat myself to a new Thrustmaster VG TH8A shifter to ease the anguish ;)

No, please no. I wouldn't mind like a flat-bottomed wheel, but I don't want a single seater wheel whatsoever.
I'd expect if Logitech ever do a G27 replacement, it would come with a GT-style rim and support changeable rims like the Thrustmaster T500/T300/TX range. Lots of money to be made there.

Branson

Lol. I was right at the $500 price. Also for $500 you would expect it to come with an attached wheel. I'm glad it supports ps4 and Xbone but I feel like it's bullshit that the console manufactures can't at least agree to let you have both on one wheel. Instead you either have to buy two wheels or have this which for the price is basically that. It's like Sony and MS don't even care yet they push their racing games like they are worth playing without one. Fuck that.

The Thrustmaster TX actually looks good for the price range if I ever get an Xbone and their wheel replacements aren't outrageous. That would be my choice for sure. On ps4 I'm not sure what I would get. I'm not even sure this fanatec wheel is worth that much.

Ark

Will the already existing rims work with the V2 base? If I'm still as into Iracing as I am now I miiiiiiight upgrade at some point from my DFGT wheel (already have CSP V2 pedals).

Mr.Green

I wonder what would be a worthy upgrade to my PWTS besides the new CSW? I don't use the cheap plastic pedals, I have the CSR Elite pedals and the inversion kit is on the way.

I've thought about the G27 since it's obviously the best seller and therefore probably also the wheel with the best support out there but it would apparently be a downgrade from what I have.

If I was smart (good luck with that) I'd patiently wait because VR is going to bring a LOT of demand for wheels and the market will react accordingly.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder what would be a worthy upgrade to my PWTS besides the new CSW? I don't use the cheap plastic pedals, I have the CSR Elite pedals and the inversion kit is on the way.

I've thought about the G27 since it's obviously the best seller and therefore probably also the wheel with the best support out there but it would apparently be a downgrade from what I have.

If I was smart (good luck with that) I'd patiently wait because VR is going to bring a LOT of demand for wheels and the market will react accordingly.

Depends if you want to have console support or not. If your PWTS is still working well then I think that going for a G27 would be a downgrade. If you want console support then you could go for a TX or a T300 (depending which side you want to go) and use your CSR Elite pedals with that.

Mr.Green

Depends if you want to have console support or not. If your PWTS is still working well then I think that going for a G27 would be a downgrade. If you want console support then you could go for a TX or a T300 (depending which side you want to go) and use your CSR Elite pedals with that.

No shit given about console support. After playing on the DK2, flat screens and I are done as far as driving games go.

You think the TX is still a better wheel for playing on PC?

Megasoum

Banned
No shit given about console support. After playing on the DK2, flat screens and I are done as far as driving games go.

You think the TX is still a better wheel for playing on PC?

Than a G27? Absolutely. Than a PWTS? Hmmm I'd say yes but it's closer. Depends on the state of your PWTS obviously. Personally I went from PWTS to CSR to TX. The default TX rim feels a bit cheap compared to a Fanatec rim but I got used to it and actually like it now (and you can buy better rims for the TX anyway). I prefer the TX's FFB over the PWTS/CSR FFB.

Branson

Than a G27? Absolutely. Than a PWTS? Hmmm I'd say yes but it's closer. Depends on the state of your PWTS obviously. Personally I went from PWTS to CSR to TX. The default TX rim feels a bit cheap compared to a Fanatec rim but I got used to it and actually like it now (and you can buy better rims for the TX anyway). I prefer the TX's FFB over the PWTS/CSR FFB.

Inside Sim Racings review of the TX wheel was really positive. It's Darin's main wheel he uses according to the video. It kind of sold me on one.

Mr.Green

Thanks for the feedback mate.

I'd say that what bothers me the most about my wheel is the kind of ffb deadzone there is in the middle. Like when the belt changes direction or something. Know what I mean?

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks for the feedback mate.

I'd say that what bothers me the most about my wheel is the kind of ffb deadzone there is in the middle. Like when the belt changes direction or something. Know what I mean?

On the PWTS? I remember a lot of deadzone and centering issues at the end. It would loose its center every time I did a big turn. Really unplayable.

Also, if you already have Fanatec pedals you can buy a CPX to use them with the TX. Granted, since you only play on PC there's not much use since you can just plug them directly via USB but anyway. http://www.basherboards.com/CPX

Mr.Green

On the PWTS? I remember a lot of deadzone and centering issues at the end. It would loose its center every time I did a big turn. Really unplayable.

Also, if you already have Fanatec pedals you can buy a CPX to use them with the TX. Granted, since you only play on PC there's not much use since you can just plug them directly via USB but anyway. http://www.basherboards.com/CPX

Even on PC some games aren't cool with that though. For example, Euro Truck Sim 2 wouldn't see my pedals when connected via USB. The wheel and pedals end up like 2 distinct Windows devices and unless I brain cramped somewhere, you could only select one device.

Megasoum

Banned
Even on PC some games aren't cool with that though. For example, Euro Truck Sim 2 wouldn't see my pedals when connected via USB. The wheel and pedals end up like 2 distinct Windows devices and unless I brain cramped somewhere, you could only select one device.

Yeah, I had a similar issue with the The Crew beta. Even if I was playing with my 360 controller, the USB pedals were detected and put like 40% of brake at all time. Took me a couple of hours to find out why it was impossible for me to even reach the first checkpoint before the timer ran out lol.

Mascot

It's a nice idea having interchangeable rims as a way of getting around the licensing issue, but it's still a bloody expensive solution.

If swappable rims allows this to happen, then why not just have one rim with a swappable USB dongle? One dongle for PS4, one dongle for the Bone, no dongle for the PC.

Exactly the same principle but much fucking cheaper.

Riddle me that one, Thomas.

Mr.Green

Yeah, I had a similar issue with the The Crew beta. Even if I was playing with my 360 controller, the USB pedals were detected and put like 40% of brake at all time. Took me a couple of hours to find out why it was impossible for me to even reach the first checkpoint before the timer ran out lol.
Holy shit!

It's a nice idea having interchangeable rims as a way of getting around the licensing issue, but it's still a bloody expensive solution.

If swappable rims allows this to happen, then why not just have one rim with a swappable USB dongle? One dongle for PS4, one dongle for the Bone, no dongle for the PC.

Exactly the same principle but much fucking cheaper.

Riddle me that one, Thomas.
The PWTS works on PC, PS3 and 360. So there's that too...

Arucardo

Will the already existing rims work with the V2 base? If I'm still as into Iracing as I am now I miiiiiiight upgrade at some point from my DFGT wheel (already have CSP V2 pedals).

Yes, they do.

Man, it's like 850 euros for the wheel alone. Already have decent pedals and shifter though (CSR Elites and a TH8RS). Still kinda leaning towards getting this. I'll have to think about this again after I have the money in a month or two :eek: .

Top Bottom