• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd expect if Logitech ever do a G27 replacement, it would come with a GT-style rim and support changeable rims like the Thrustmaster T500/T300/TX range. Lots of money to be made there.
Maybe. I mean, I don't know how much extra work and cost goes into making detachable, interchangeable wheels. I would think that the bare simplicity of the G25/27 are what make it so affordable and popular in the first place.

Spookie

Does anyone want a well maintained Fanatec CSR with CSR Elite pedals and the GT Omega Wheel stand for £300? I'm moving out next month and have no where to put it. I also need the money for my deposit.

Let me know via PM if you do so we can sort something out, of course I can get pics when the when my room isn't poorly lit.

Ark

Yes, they do.

Man, it's like 850 euros for the wheel alone. Already have decent pedals and shifter though (CSR Elites and a TH8RS). Still kinda leaning towards getting this. I'll have to think about this again after I have the money in a month or two :eek: .

Yeah, £400 for the V2 base (that's WITH the pre-order "discount") is absurd, then the wheels are monstrously expensive too.

I want one though.. Dammit.

paskowitz

Does anyone want a well maintained Fanatec CSR with CSR Elite pedals and the GT Omega Wheel stand for £300? I'm moving out next month and have no where to put it. I also need the money for my deposit.

Let me know via PM if you do so we can sort something out, of course I can get pics when the when my room isn't poorly lit.

I would also try the BST thread on GTPlanet.net

£400 isn't a hell of a lot but I'll hold and see how well it's recieved from enthusiasts. My Thrustmasters have me covered for this gen but I can't say I'm not tempted.

Shaneus

The recent WRC releases aren't RBR level simulations, however news of Milestone not being the developer behind WRC 5 may be of interest: http://www.bsimracing.com/new-wrc-5-game-by-new-developer/
That's... kinda sad :( Please don't be Codies. Please don't be Codies.

Sad in that I hoped they could bring a level of polish to the games like Codies would have, but with a more solid game underneath. Sucks that whilst the game was relatively solid, the frontend just felt decidedly C-grade. That's what turns people off.

Can anyone tell me who it is (or copypasta)? Blocked at work :(

Sad in that I hoped they could bring a level of polish to the games like Codies would have, but with a more solid game underneath. Sucks that whilst the game was relatively solid, the frontend just felt decidedly C-grade. That's what turns people off.

The most relevant part:

"On various social media posts news has leaked claiming that the Paris based Kylotonn Entertainment Studio will be the new developer of the WRC 5 game. The French Studio already posted several job vacancies on its website, looking for race game minded personnel. This sort of confirms the rumors."

TJP

Team VVV had the story a day prior and I probably should have linked to their website/FB page (although Bsimracing is also an indie sim racing news website). I have to say the new dev doesn't read like the game will be promising: "Kylotonn Entertainment has only one previous racing title in its portfolio. A game called Truck Racer that was released by BigBen Interactive in October 2013"

As for Codies, we know they have Dirt 4 on the way but can we really trust them to make a solid pure rally game? They haven't since the McRae days...Dirt 3 wasn't a return to those good old days either. More recently, Grid: Autosport was solid enough for what is a very sim-light experience but it's still not as rounded as the original Grid (albeit the physics are more sim in Grid: AO versus Grid which is nice).

You're killing me Pazu. God damn I want the DK2. Keep the videos coming though. Fuck all this console wheel compatibility drama. Rift is where the true next gen racing is at.

TJP

More from GSC-E - version 1.25!

10553886_10152679861577743_7303426412329473932_o.jpg
10548727_10152679861182743_1671005209264563900_o.jpg

10636674_10152679860927743_4599855088210795841_o.jpg
10403876_10152679861372743_5930430428172711853_o.jpg

10562725_10152679861422743_3182087298488527075_o.jpg
10536568_10152679861282743_4449212097444282862_o.jpg

Mascot

My man!

Keep 'em coming, dude. Any chance of one versus some AI? I'd love to see how VR helps with checking mirrors during overtaking and defending, and even with conceding a corner to a faster opponent. If you could do this in the Atom on California Highway (I wanna see the sun glinting off the ocean, dammit) then even better. No worries if you can't, it's quite a specific request and I'm quite a demanding client.
:p

TJP

4 stroke karts? Reiza are awesome!
Indeed. GSC-E is the best value for money sim I think I'll ever own. If you don't own this sim, you don't belong in this thread ;)

If you look close enough, you'll find flat spotted tyres too - at least according to one person on Fecalbook. It's amazing what Reiza are doing with isimotor 2 (and says a lot about what ISI coded back in the day).

Addnan

Shaneus

Indeed. GSC-E is the best value for money sim I think I'll ever own. If you don't own this sim, you don't belong in this thread ;)

If you look close enough, you'll find flat spotted tyres too - at least according to one person on Fecalbook. It's amazing what Reiza are doing with isimotor 2 (and says a lot about what ISI coded back in the day).
I love that the pace car for the karts is still the Camaro.

bj00rn_

Banned
Have you visited the console sim versus threads. Applies to this thread though, as you say.

Even regular threads are not immune against the exclusive-sickness: The *** PCars thread:

the visuals are Awful.

doesn't look like anything to write home about. weak art direction

PC racers, and lets face facts here, are quite used to playing sims with horrific graphics and thinking they look great

Ah the folly's of PC gamers. I like a shiny turd as much as the next guy, but I still know its a turd.

Entertaining stuff.

I can't wait.. Like the poster above I regret not backing the game.. Ironically I backed Assetto Corsa because I heard it would have VR support..

It gets beyond ugly. Most of the users on my blocked list originated from the console racing threads. Which says a lot because I like to jump into some pretty polarizing threads from time to time.

I just don't understand how anyone who enjoys racing games wouldn't want as many on the market as possible, regardless of platfrom. Shift and Grid weren't for me, but I am happy a lot of people enjoyed them because maybe that means they will be moving on to other racing games and bolstering the sales of franchises I would like to see succeed. I know Gran Turismo 1 was a huge "gateway drug" for me into more hardcore PC sims.

TJP

Good to hear. Is there a closed beta, or anything that people have been running?
Closed beta. Sonat from SimBin posted some answers on RD, one of which concerned the release window for the latest updates which he said was the coming weeks. All I'll say is the update makes returning to other sims a bit of a challenge. Still a WIP but a huge step towards what the dev teams wants RRE to be.

With the update to Assetto Corsa comes more updates for several of the third party cars: the AC Cobra, Corvette C6R from URD and Formula mods have all be updated.

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Here's another, with racing this time:

http://youtu.be/tUeu5MhPxjw

I hope you can put up with my random babbling as I tried some live commentary to add some flavour.

Sorry that it's not the Atom at California Mascot, but I thought I'd stick with GT3 as it is relevant to the other sims, particularly iRacing where it is the most popular series.

TJP

RRE News: http://www.bsimracing.com/r3e-updated-road-surface-feedback/ (also on SimBin's R3E FB page)

The last few months we have put a lot of effort into redoing our Force Feedback. The major part of the programming work is done!

Improving the FFB is a lot more than some calculations and some line in the code, or having the right control set for the wheel. Additionally our track artists have developed a new technology to improve the presentation and feedback from our track´s road surface.

By using a wide range of data, including CAD and telemetry, they have created a highly dense road surface that features small bumps and surface imperfections that increase the quality of the Force Feedback immensely.

The tracks that will be ready for this technology in our next R3E update are:
  • Nürburgring
  • Hockenheim
  • Oschersleben
  • Lausitzring
  • Zandvoort
  • Red Bull Ring

more to be added soon...

In order to get the best Force Feedback we will update our car physics.

New car releases will have the new physics, older content will be updated over coming R3E releases.
Stay tuned!

Feels3 mentioned on VirtualR:
We are using 3d bumps instead of fake bumps, that is a part of our new tech. You will notice this while driving and during replays as well how car (and its shadow) moves over the bumps, and yes, it affects physics, grip and FFB.

Mascot

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Here's another, with racing this time:

http://youtu.be/tUeu5MhPxjw

I hope you can put up with my random babbling as I tried some live commentary to add some flavour.

Sorry that it's not the Atom at California Mascot, but I thought I'd stick with GT3 as it is relevant to the other sims, particularly iRacing where it is the most popular series.

Truly awesome video. Your best yet mate! The racing looks thrilling, even with the WIP AI. Loved seeing them struggle with damage too.

I got my first flavour of the 3D visuals the other day using the focus shift trick, and even in that blurry half-assed way the effect was stunning. VR is going to change sim racing forever, absolutely no doubt about it.

Jimrpg

I played WRC4 on the PS3 and I was disappointed so anyone other than milestone is fine by me.

The thing that turned me off the most was the heavy use of repeating sections in each of the rally stage. Basically 50% of every stage was repeated in the other stages and I lost the whole immersion feeling of being in a rally. I don't follow the rally scene all that closely, but pretty much all the previous rally games don't repeat sections, and certainly not to the level that Milestone did. Considering it was their fourth game you would think they had worked on it for long enough.

Shaneus

I played WRC4 on the PS3 and I was disappointed so anyone other than milestone is fine by me.

The thing that turned me off the most was the heavy use of repeating sections in each of the rally stage. Basically 50% of every stage was repeated in the other stages and I lost the whole immersion feeling of being in a rally. I don't follow the rally scene all that closely, but pretty much all the previous rally games don't repeat sections, and certainly not to the level that Milestone did. Considering it was their fourth game you would think they had worked on it for long enough.
I never played WRC4 but that's a shame to hear :( Perhaps they started putting their eggs into the MotoGP basket? Or found they were going to lose the license before significant work was done on it? Either way, that they put out a half-arsed product kinda sucks.

Dilly

Banned
Weird that it's always these small gamedevs scoring the license. Surely some PC sim dev could also get their hands on it then?

TJP

I never played WRC4 but that's a shame to hear :( Perhaps they started putting their eggs into the MotoGP basket? Or found they were going to lose the license before significant work was done on it? Either way, that they put out a half-arsed product kinda sucks.
Milestone have always worked with shoestring budgets as far as I can tell. I know I've said this a zillion times however it bears repeating - Milestone make a corker of a bike sim (SBK 2001) with EA's money and haven't been close to replicating it since. MXGP and MotoGP '14 are seperate trainwrecks from Milestone...so I'm not surprised the WRC licence has gone elsewhere.

Does any non-lurker want my brand new T500 pedals for free*? The box alone takes up 10% of my apartment, and I can't really justify keeping hold of them while using CSv2 pedals.

**Shipping from Japan would need to be paid for though. I'm nice, but not that nice.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I spent the weekend with the G27 in various games, and I have to say that I like it a lot. The first game I tried it with was of course Euro Truck Sim 2. Playing with a wheel (and my new TrackIR5) in that game makes it an entirely new experience. SOOO much better. I can now back up the rig like a pro, lol. Next I played some Dirt 1 & 2 with the wheel, and was surprised at first to be actually getting worse race times than with my Xbox360 pad. It was just a matter of getting used to it however, because now I'm definitely doing better. The wheel and pedals just allow so much more precise control. I went back and forth with racing automatic tranny and using the clutch/shifter, I'm much faster with the automatics in the Dirt games. Manual shifting felt like multitasking overload to me, heh, just couldn't keep up with everything going on. I'll have to practice with it some more.

Pretty much spent all of my gaming time this weekend between those three games. Have yet to try it with any other driving games, but I did realize that I need more modern racing games. Maybe it's time I splurge on Asseto Corsa....

Does any non-lurker want my brand new T500 pedals for free*? The box alone takes up 10% of my apartment, and I can't really justify keeping hold of them while using CSv2 pedals.

**Shipping from Japan would need to be paid for though. I'm nice, but not that nice.

If only you decided to do this a month ago.

Seanspeed

Banned

Damn. Ridiculously generous of you. I'd do it, but I cant really accommodate those pedals with my setup.

Maybe it's time I splurge on Asseto Corsa....
Do.

The FFB difference from Dirt/ETS2 and Assetto Corsa is massive. Those games feel quite lifeless to me by comparison.

Addnan

Would this work with Logitech wheels with some sort of an adapter?

Top Bottom