• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

There is an adapter solution (Bodinhausen adapter+Bodnar cable), but it's not particularly cost effective unless perhaps you already own a Bodnar cable.

Marvel's generous offer is best for TX/T300 owners. If no one bites here, the Forza or Driveclub/GT threads should be your next stop. I'm sure someone will take you up over there.

EDIT: Beaten

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Here's another, with racing this time:

http://youtu.be/tUeu5MhPxjw

I hope you can put up with my random babbling as I tried some live commentary to add some flavour.

Sorry that it's not the Atom at California Mascot, but I thought I'd stick with GT3 as it is relevant to the other sims, particularly iRacing where it is the most popular series.

Mega

Zeknurn

Does any non-lurker want my brand new T500 pedals for free*? The box alone takes up 10% of my apartment, and I can't really justify keeping hold of them while using CSv2 pedals.

**Shipping from Japan would need to be paid for though. I'm nice, but not that nice.

Really generous of you, hopefully you will find someone close to Japan that's interested.

Mascot

The FFB difference from Dirt/ETS2 and Assetto Corsa is massive. Those games feel quite lifeless to me by comparison.
I still get zero ffb in AC and Race Pro.
If some kind soul could post their Fanatec AND in-game settings I'd love to give it a try.

Addnan

There is, but it's a little pricey.

There is an adapter solution (Bodinhausen adapter+Bodnar cable), but it's not particularly cost effective unless perhaps you already own a Bodnar cable.

Marvel's generous offer is best for TX/T300 owners. If no one bites here, the Forza or Driveclub/GT threads should be your next stop. I'm sure someone will take you up over there.

EDIT: Beaten

Mega

Thanks guys, was hoping for a £2 adapter :p.

I´m almost biting and buying Nascar 2014 on steam... i know it´s not a great game but i love Nascar and would like some mindless fun with it... anyone has it? Is it too much of an arcade game?

I had played some Nascar 2003 mods, but enough with papyrus, game was good but it´s too old. I´m also not into paying to play iRacing, so... that leaves me with Nascar 2014.

I remember having some fun with some old EA games on PS2... anyone have something to say about this one?

A good interview with Jay Ekkel of the Studio Formerly Known As Simbin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJB6LpfGGw

Sept 9th - R3E single player and multiplayer (at last!) Fingers crossed.

Enjoying the interview.

I'd really like to see more of these being done. There are very few recognizable faces in sim racing. Kaemmer is probably the only one I could pick out of a line up. I'm not asking for a Cliffy B or anything, just an interest in more engagement.

Shaneus

Enjoying the interview.

I'd really like to see more of these being done. There are very few recognizable faces in sim racing. Kaemmer is probably the only one I could pick out of a line up. I'm not asking for a Cliffy B or anything, just a interest in more engagement.
Niels from Reiza not enough for you?

TJP

A good interview with Jay Ekkel of the Studio Formerly Known As Simbin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJB6LpfGGw

Sept 9th - R3E single player and multiplayer (at last!) Fingers crossed.
Good stuff from Jay & Shaun.

I wonder which UK based racing developer SimBin had joined up with to make GTR 3...Codemasters? Surely it wasn't Slightly Mad...Jay mentions V8 Supercars too; Volvo and Ford Falcon. I'd expect Holden to appear (based on their Gamescom poster from a while ago).

Seanspeed

Banned
I still get zero ffb in AC and Race Pro.
If some kind soul could post their Fanatec AND in-game settings I'd love to give it a try.
Damn, that's a bummer. Hopefully you get it sorted, because it definitely isn't remotely the same without the FFB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovyiRon6Wc

Barry Rowland gives his initial thoughts on the ClubSport V2. A couple of other reviews popping up from other beta testers, it's all very positive. The overall impression from Barry is that it is a really solid improvement on the V1, but one shouldn't expect it to be a competitor to what are referred to as 'servo wheels'. Fanatec have created some confusion there, no doubt intentionally, as talk of servo motors will prompt comparisons to the likes of the Bodnar, making the V2 seem like a bargain.

Marketing strategies aside, considering it is the same price as the V1, it sounds like a much better value proposition now, putting it truly a step above the T500. It looks really solid, and check this low resistance! Very impressive for belt drive.

Is Nascar 2014 so bad and arcadey that nobody here has played? I´m almost sure we had a poster in here who used to work for the company developing, jambogt if i recall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovyiRon6Wc

Barry Rowland gives his initial thoughts on the ClubSport V2. A couple of other reviews popping up from other beta testers, it's all very positive. The overall impression from Barry is that it is a really solid improvement on the V1, but one shouldn't expect it to be a competitor to what are referred to as 'servo wheels'. Fanatec have created some confusion there, no doubt intentionally, as talk of servo motors will prompt comparisons to the likes of the Bodnar, making the V2 seem like a bargain.

Marketing strategies aside, considering it is the same price as the V1, it sounds like a much better value proposition now, putting it truly a step above the T500. It looks really solid, and check this low resistance! Very impressive for belt drive.

Despite it not being direct drive for the masses, it's a very nice wheel. If you've already got a rim you can just swap over, this V2 looks pretty damn inviting. If you don't, well... If it were me, I'd want to the price of the SimXperience first, just to be sure it was out of reach. Especially if you're as taken by the 918 rim as I am. That's a thousand bucks right there.

Is Nascar 2014 so bad and arcadey that nobody here has played? I´m almost sure we had a poster in here who used to work for the company developing, jambogt if i recall...

I haven't played it, but to me it looks like good fun as long as you don't have super high expectations for it. If you end up picking it up, let us know how you like it.

Like you mentioned, there's very little out there for oval racing. There's iRacing, and then it's just wasteland. rFactor 2 is getting ISI developed Cup cars soon, so hopefully the tide will turn.

Despite it not being direct drive for the masses, it's a very nice wheel. If you've already got a rim you can just swap over, this V2 looks pretty damn inviting. If you don't, well... If it were me, I'd want to the price of the SimXperience first, just to be sure it was out of reach. Especially if you're as taken by the 918 rim as I am. That's a thousand bucks right there.
Yeah I think it possible that there would be a nagging feeling that I'd spent a huge amount of money on something that isn't even comparable to the best. For some it'll be the ideal middle-ground, a really premium feel and better performance than the majority of wheels out there, for others it'll be too much outlay for not enough of a step up. Would be hard to resist if you're already in the Fanatec 'ecosystem' though... smart business.

Like you mentioned, there's very little out there for oval racing. There's iRacing, and then it's just wasteland. rFactor 2 is getting ISI developed Cup cars soon, so hopefully the tide will turn.
Have the ovals been confirmed yet? Obviously Indianapolis is already there but I've heard rumours of Charlotte and Jacksonville.

Have the ovals been confirmed yet? Obviously Indianapolis is already there but I've heard rumours of Charlotte and Jacksonville.

I know zippo other than stuff is thought to be coming.

The real conundrum with oval racing is that you can't just have some cars and few oval tracks, and think you've got oval racing. The rules need to be there, the setups need be able to flex out to do all kinds of crazy shit, drafting needs to work properly, tires need a ton of work, etc.

It's a different beast altogether. If it's not done properly then it's just driving around in circles silliness. Let's all hope it's not that!

@Pazuzu All I really want is bulletproof reliability to be honest (and I know you'd agree). I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money unless I was positive I was out of the "toy" zone, and into the serious kit. The last wheel you're likely to buy for a long while zone.

Indeed - there's a detailed review on GTPlanet that shows the attention they've spent on improving reliability over the V1. I think this is the most appealing aspect of V2 - by keeping a similar design they've been able to anticipate the weak points from the start, the V1 was like a massive test phase. Seeing those internal shots is giving me some rare confidence in a Fanatec product - looks really good!

Congrats to Mak Corp!

Formula E coming to rFactor/rFactor 2/Assetto Corsa Edit: Or maybe not. I should've read more carefully.

Mak Corp has announced that they are partnering with Formula E to provide race fans the opportunity to test out the latest generation of open-wheelers. eXcape Entertainment Group will be providing simulators to all of the nine venues on the Formula E calendar. Mak will be developing the software side, which will use the ISI engine. The simulators will be powered by the rFactor engine for the first event at Beijing. In following events, they will migrate over to the rFactor 2 engine. The car will also be transferred to Assetto Corsa. The nine circuits will also be digitally recreated for the events.

Wait... so if I understand that correctly, the Formula E AND all the tracks it races on are coming to all three titles?

FOM/F1, THIS is how you market your sport!

Wait #2... is that just for simulators trackside, or also available for home users?
On further reading, it seems that this is just for the events :( (for now at least)

Shaneus

On further reading, it seems that this is just for the events :( (for now at least)
It's weird they'd do it across multiple engines, though. You'd think if they were going to have it at each event, they'd just use the same rig. I'd say it'll come to all those platforms (at least, both AC and rF2) in an official capacity at some stage down the track.

Mascot

Damn, that's a bummer. Hopefully you get it sorted, because it definitely isn't remotely the same without the FFB.

TJP kindly sent me some Fanatec and in-game settings for Assetto Corsa to try to resolve the no-FFB issue. I tried them but still nothing. It's been like playing Rally-X in the arcades with absolutely NO ffb or resistance at all. Incredibly frustrating, especially with all the glowing reports about AC's FFB. I've just spent the past three hours trying everything to fix it: tried every 'preset' in the wheel menu, even for wheels patently not my own. Tried reversing the effects (wtf is that for anyway?), altering every variable, saving, retrying, recalibrating the wheel. Tried updating the firmware on the wheel itself. Hell I even swapped out the USB cable (no mean feat - it fucked up all my nice neat cable routing) even though I knew it wasn't the cable because everything work fine with the same cable in GT6 on the PS3. I even soiled my nice new clean screen with spittle by getting all Anglo Saxon with the technology. In the end I did what I should have done at the beginning, weeks and weeks ago. I reinstalled the Fanatec drivers. And guess what? Holiest of the fuckittiest holy fucks of almighty fuckdom, it worked.

I now have FFB in Assetto Corsa!

There must have been a glitch with my original driver installation, or maybe I used out-of-date drivers. Who knows. I didn't think it was the drivers because everything else, everything bar FFB, worked perfectly. I should have just reinstalled them first I guess. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again for all your help TJP. We got there in the end..!

I am one relieved mofo.

TJP

Thanks again for all your help TJP. We got there in the end..
predator.gif

Happy to help ;)

Mascot

Great success!

Reversing the effects is for Logitech wheels, their FFB has always been inverted for some reason.

But don't Fanatec wheels pretend they are Logitech wheels to skirt around licensing issues? Or is that only when you use them in PS3-mode?

Arucardo

But don't Fanatec wheels pretend they are Logitech wheels to skirt around licensing issues? Or is that only when you use them in PS3-mode?

Just PS3 mode, which I use on pc :p, some games have much better ffb with the logitech drivers than the fanatec ones, original rFactor being one of them, for me at least.

Megasoum

Banned
Just PS3 mode, which I use on pc :p, some games have much better ffb with the logitech drivers than the fanatec ones, original rFactor being one of them, for me at least.

Also if you have a Porsche line wheel (PWTS,CSR, GT2, GT3) and use it in Fanatec mode they completely screwed up the button mapping when they updated their drivers/firmware to support the CSW wheel.

The result is that you can't control the menus in most PC games with the wheel anymore. Pretty much every Codemasters games except Grid Autosport are fucked now.

Arucardo

Also if you have a Porsche line wheel (PWTS,CSR, GT2, GT3) and use it in Fanatec mode they completely screwed up the button mapping when they updated their drivers/firmware to support the CSW wheel.

The result is that you can't control the menus in most PC games with the wheel anymore. Pretty much every Codemasters games except Grid Autosport are fucked now.

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right, I just forgot about that since I'm so used to just using a mouse in menus.

Tim Wheatley has done a couple of neat hour long (!) unboxings. The first one was a collection of Geoff Crammond's titles, and now a (part 1) runthrough of the entire Papy catalog.

I complained about devs not being visible enough, but Tim actually has a pretty good blog and YT channel. There more personal than promotional, but's that's OK.

Mascot

Having FFB in Assetto Corsa obviously also means that I've now got it in GTR as well.

Holy fuck, what a sim. I love it. Cost me just a couple of quid for the whole suite of expansions and maintains 60fps through the laptop. Dat audio! Dat ffb! Dose tracks! Dat M3!

This game, along with Assetto Corsa, will keep me very happy for a long time to come.

Branson

Tim Wheatley has done a couple of neat hour long (!) unboxings. The first one was a collection of Geoff Crammond's titles, and now a (part 1) runthrough of the entire Papy catalog.

I complained about devs not being visible enough, but Tim actually has a pretty good blog and YT channel. There more personal than promotional, but's that's OK.

Thanks. Loved the papy run through. I had NASCAR Racing 1 way back in the 90s and NR2003. God those were great. I still play
NR2003 from time to time too.

Mascot

About a decade LTTP, but I tried GTR2 today for the first time. I must admit that I thought the icon on my desktop was just one of the many shortcuts to the myriad of Race '07 expansions that all seem to be playable (with a different title screen) no matter which one you click. I didn't realise that GTR2 was a totally separate standalone game.

Anyway. It's incredible.

I downloaded the Porsche & Ferrari patch along with the no-disc booter after having odd grey cars in my first race and then, very pleased with the 1080p/60 performance from my old-ass laptop, decided to stress-test the game by upping the detail and effects and running a 60-car field at Spa. It didn't even break sweat! Seeing the grid ploughing through Eau Rouge and off into the distance was such a thrill after thinking 16 car races on consoles was good. The race itself was incredibly involving. And the controls feel great, the audio is amazing, the FFB is talkative... I'm loving it! Why on earth have I waited so long to jump into PC sims?

I downloaded a menu mod that opens up a lot more options for the FFB and a Rockingham track mod. What else should I download, people? What are the good car and track mods?

Arucardo

About a decade LTTP, but I tried GTR2 today for the first time. I must admit that I thought the icon on my desktop was just one of the many shortcuts to the myriad of Race '07 expansions that all seem to be playable (with a different title screen) no matter which one you click. I didn't realise that GTR2 was a totally separate standalone game.

Anyway. It's incredible.

I downloaded the Porsche & Ferrari patch along with the no-disc booter after having odd grey cars in my first race and then, very pleased with the 1080p/60 performance from my old-ass laptop, decided to stress-test the game by upping the detail and effects and running a 60-car field at Spa. It didn't even break sweat! Seeing the grid ploughing through Eau Rouge and off into the distance was such a thrill after thinking 16 car races on consoles was good. The race itself was incredibly involving. And the controls feel great, the audio is amazing, the FFB is talkative... I'm loving it! Why on earth have I waited so long to jump into PC sims?

I downloaded a menu mod that opens up a lot more options for the FFB and a Rockingham track mod. What else should I download, people? What are the good car and track mods?

Get the Power & Glory 3 mod (one of my all time favorites right after Historic GT and Touring Cars mod for rFactor)

Also, welcome to PC racing sims :) , enjoy your stay! (there's no going back, heh heh)

EDIT: One more thing that goes perfectly with P&G3 is the Targa Florio track, one lap is 72km, yeah, it takes a while... Get it here: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=36854

Mascot

Get the Power & Glory 3 mod (one of my all time favorites right after Historic GT and Touring Cars mod for rFactor)

Also, welcome to PC racing sims :) , enjoy your stay! (there's no going back, heh heh)

EDIT: One more thing that goes perfectly with P&G3 is the Targa Florio track, one lap is 72km, yeah, it takes a while... Get it here: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=36854

Cool! Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I get on with them.

I'd actually call GTR2 the best racing sim ever, it had everything.

Kira2.gif

kvk1

No. It's a broken piece of shit that never worked properly with steering wheels.

This goes for all of the Codies F1 games really. Unless you're in it for the casual gamepad experience, which is great, you'll always feel like you're playing a buggy and half-baked title.

Top Bottom