• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

kvk1

The constant petty drama of grown ass men on the iRacing forums knows no bound.

Some of the most toxic and low-level discourse known to man.

Juicy Bob

I have to question the intelligence of people who write "I could care less...". Surely, they mean the opposite?
I've been told it comes from the old American expression "I could care less about what you think.. but I don't know how", which would mean it does make sense.

Branson

I have to question the intelligence of people who write "I could care less...". Surely, they mean the opposite?
I've seen this a couple of times. Is this a weird phrase to people outside the US or something? I never thought if it as such.

I've seen this a couple of times. Is this a weird phrase to people outside the US or something? I never thought if it as such.

It's so rampantly misused here that you might think it's actually correct. "I couldn't care less" - meaning I care so little that I couldn't possibly care less. "I could care less" makes no sense whatsoever.

Branson

It's so rampantly misused here that you might think it's actually correct. "I couldn't care less" - meaning I care so little that I couldn't possibly care less. "I could care less" makes no sense whatsoever.

It should be I couldn't care less.

Oh I get it now. I didn't know if the phrase itself
Was weird. Just the grammar was off. Couldn't care less does make more sense.

Anyway I'm glad Empty Box shared that. I watch both him and ISR and won't stop watching just because of this but it sure is interesting. Sim Racing is such a small, passionate community compared to other gaming ones that I feel it's a bit counterintuitive to really fight amongst ourselves. I get why some people need to be humbled a bit though.

Megasoum

Banned
Jason Dunnington commented on the video...

jaytsk77.png

Darin also replied to other comments digging up his hole even deeper.

Megasoum

Banned
don't really like the show or him but i see no issue with it other than he should hire more wisely next time, lets face it the guy was useless

Hard to judge Jason's quality since he was there for like a month. It's nothing new however that Darin is driving everybody around him away. There's been liek 5-6 different people over the years at least that left the show.

not seen this before, free iracing with steam login hmmmm

Very interesting... I think that's a much better way of going about things. Certainly it's more in line with how paid games work today. I think that'd prove very popular, and ultimately make them more money.

Also Steam. :)

I don't see iRacing having much, if any integration, but that's not particularly important. People are comfortable trusting Valve with their money, and of course there's a ton of exposure from being on Steam. It should be a big help to iRacing.

Pallie

Banned
I kind of lost interest in ISR long before all the Gangi drama. It wasn't as interesting to watch after Jessica Lopez left. She was the two main reasons I enjoyed the show.

TJP

It is rather sad/pathetic to see this mini-drama between unfold in public however it does confirm what many people have said about Darin which sucks too as ISR was the first channel I stumbled across back in the day.

If Darin is burnt out as Jason states I wouldn't be surprised. I have firsthand accounts from another person who also runs a website and YT channel (ironically ISR have mentioned him on many occasions) and single biggest issue is a lack of help; YT provides a tonne of problems too. It doesn't excuse the idiotic posts from Darin; the man needs to give the keyboard a rest for a while.

In other news:

Dev team working hard, build machines are spinning in the office and the test team is putting in great mileage in the latest build they received earlier today.

But even with the combined effort of everybody, we feel we are not there just yet. We have some very important testing left to be done, and we need positive results on those before being able to release it to you.

We ask for a little bit of extra patience, but know we are not planning to extend the wait much longer.

Tomorrow (Wednesday the 10th) is now booked as the day for the big RaceRoom Racing Experience update.

Cross you finger and see you on track tomorow!

DD

kvk1

I called it quits with ISR after their Daytona 2.4 meltdown.

In all fairness Shaun was pretty complicit in that hissy fit as well.

Dev team working hard, build machines are spinning in the office and the test team is putting in great mileage in the latest build they received earlier today.

But even with the combined effort of everybody, we feel we are not there just yet. We have some very important testing left to be done, and we need positive results on those before being able to release it to you.

We ask for a little bit of extra patience, but know we are not planning to extend the wait much longer.

Tomorrow (Wednesday the 10th) is now booked as the day for the big RaceRoom Racing Experience update.

Cross you finger and see you on track tomorow!
Good stuff, looking forward to this :)

TJP

Have they said why?
Jay Ekkel posted the following statement on VirtualR:

The actual story in short is this: "New studio, new location, new name, (almost) the same team. Be ensured that all development on the project will continue. More interesting news to follow soon!"

We had hoped we could announce the news and the future plans ourselves, but the first half of news got out already. So some patience required as more news will come soon.

Wow, that was quite a 'handbags at dawn' video. I haven't followed the ISR timeline closely; what caused this?

It's part of the fallout from the 2013 Daytona 2.4 (iRacing) that kvk1 was referring to. Darin had a meltdown during the race, got ripped for it on the forums, and then had another meltdown over being ripped.

------

Can't wait to try this singleplayer RaceRoom update today. I'm assuming it'll have a price tag, yeah? Isn't there some big ffb update too? Is it all wrapped up together?

Can anyone suggest the best sim to start with as the owner of a driving force gt. Looking to get into this but seems a lot of options. Looking for great racing without the idiots!

Seanspeed

Banned
Can anyone suggest the best sim to start with as the owner of a driving force gt. Looking to get into this but seems a lot of options. Looking for great racing without the idiots!
Are you like completely green in terms of the racing sim genre? What's your racing game experience and general skill level?

A lot of the 'idiots' online aren't really idiots, they're just completely inexperienced and are getting in over their heads. Online sim racing isn't a more casual experience like Call of Duty or something. You really gotta know your basics and at the very least, have a decent working knowledge of racing lines, racing etiquette and the tracks you'll be racing on. Its more for other people's benefit, cuz if you don't know what you're doing, you'll not only do badly yourself, but you'll likely mess up other people's races in the process too, which isn't fun for anybody(well, there are some....).

I think if you want to get your feet wet, Game Stock Car and Assetto Corsa are probably the best, 'buy it once, buy it all' racing sims right now. I've heard rFactor 2 is quite good in certain ways(I haven't tried it yet personally), but does have something of a subscription model if you want to do online racing. And of course, iRacing is completely subscription-based and pricey, but its also several tiers above the others in terms of its online racing structure and lack of idiots(there will always be idiots in any racing game with free multiplayer).

EDIT: And now I'm reading right above that iRacing have included a very basic free-to-play model. That's quite a departure. While that sounds great on-paper, I do think that also means you're going to get a bunch of people who, because they have no money invested in it, just fuck around and don't take it seriously and create a lot of incidents. Even the paid-for subscriptions in iRacing have their share of awful drivers at the beginner level.

Pallie

Banned
I do, it's just not funny in the slightest, and its probably part of the reason she left.

Sorry to have offended your delicate senesitivites Mr. White Knight. And lets face it, while it may be the reason she left, it was definitely the reason she was hired. Anyway, carry on.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Glorious.
icon_emotion.gif
Thanks again, Arucardo.

Is that RBR (Richard Burns Rally)? Someone above mentioned that I should pick that up now that I have a G27 because it has good FFB. I'm having a ton of fun with Dirt, Dirt 2, and Grid right now.

DD

Is that RBR (Richard Burns Rally)? Someone above mentioned that I should pick that up now that I have a G27 because it has good FFB. I'm having a ton of fun with Dirt, Dirt 2, and Grid right now.

Yep!

Prepare to cry a lot, but once you get it...
icon_emotion.gif

Should rename this the PC PC sim thread.

There's no harm in what he said, the girl started terribly and never improved. Turn the sound down and watch the boobs.

RaceRoom Racing Experience update is live:

Update Content:

Online Multiplayer: At long last! Challenge friends and rivals or make new ones in online multi-player races.

Single Player: Refine your skills against intelligent and challenging computer driven opponents. Use the Adaptive A.I., which will automatically adjust difficulty based on your performance, or customize computer controlled opponent difficulty to your liking.

Force Feedback Enhancement: A complete rewrite of the Force Feedback code, coupled with enhanced track surface modeling on Nürburgring, Hockenheim, Oschersleben, Lausitzring, Zandvoort, Red Bull Ring, and RaceRoom Raceway provide the most realistic road feeling to date. More tracks are scheduled for upgrading in the near future.

ADAC GT Masters 2013: Purchase the 2013 GT Masters content pack and race some of the world’s most iconic race cars on Europe’s most exciting tracks.

New Menus: Improved menus for simple and fast content selection.

Content packs and dynamic pricing: Dynamic pricing provides steep individual discounts on DLC and content packs when a player owns certain overlapping content. Log in and view the store to see the pricing in action.

Ark

To be honest I don't understand how anyone could listen to any of the ISR hosts for more than three and a half minutes without turning it off, but I can see why people liked the show.

Top Bottom