• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Hmmm, I've been avoiding that particular user's mods after seeing how low quality they were before(and also being illegal rips). Is this an actual high quality convert at least?
I honestly don't have a clue as I've been using a vanillia version of AC for some time. Given who made it, I'd certainly think it's a conversion of average quality.

Hmmm, I've been avoiding that particular user's mods after seeing how low quality they were before(and also being illegal rips). Is this an actual high quality convert at least?

Mid Ohio is Virtua_LM track along with Le Mans 1991-96, Fuji, and Sebring (I might have forgotten one..). These were the very pinnacle of rFactor tracks. I think they've all been converted to AC. EDIT: Totally wrong. Mid Ohio looks to be the only one to have been converted. Not sure why I thought they all had. Must have had rF2 on the mind.

Definitely grab Mid Ohio though. It's fantastic.

understand your point and agree that we all lose if one sim wins however the sim that 'wins' will likely be the one with the best modding tools.

Kunos appear to have the best modding tools & support so I won't be surprised if only the diehards stick with rF2.

That may be true, but rF2 is way further along as a complete sim than AC is at the moment. For example, this conversation is a non-starter until AC gets some working AI. rF2 in turn has the best AI in the business. There are many other examples to use as well.

TJP

That may be true, but rF2 is way further along as a complete sim than AC is at the moment. For example, this conversation is a non-starter until AC gets some working AI. rF2 in turn has the best AI in the business. There are many other examples to use as well.
rF2 is further along as it should be - it's been in development for a lot longer ;) AC has a much longer way to go before it's close to complete which is why I don't play it as often as I used to.

The point still remains: ISI have to get their modding support up to snuff in order for the sim to survive outside of the loyalist racer. rF2 has been available for ages now so where are the quality rF2 mods? The URD releases are probably the best along with a few notable efforts from MAK and the fellow who did the MX-5 mod. Decent quality track mods can be counted on two hands...and why is it such a big deal when a modding team announces it'll stick with rF2? The ISI forums are a ghost town with the same few people posting and the rF2 thread here on 'GAF is moribund.

I really enjoy rF2 - at times it's my favourite sim experience - and the underlying tech is fantastic (as is the older tech) however it's place as the go-to sim for high quality mods isn't as assured as it once was and this is where Kunos are gaining traction.

rF2 is further along as it should be - it's been in development for a lot longer ;) AC has a much longer way to go before it's close to complete which is why I don't play it as often as I used to.

The point still remains: ISI have to get their modding support up to snuff in order for the sim to survive outside of the loyalist racer. rF2 has been available for ages now so where are the quality rF2 mods? The URD releases are probably the best along with a few notable efforts from MAK and the fellow who did the MX-5 mod. Decent quality track mods can be counted on two hands...and why is it such a big deal when a modding team announces it'll stick with rF2? The ISI forums are a ghost town with the same few people posting and the rF2 thread here on 'GAF is moribund.

I really enjoy rF2 - at times it's my favourite sim experience - and the underlying tech is fantastic (as is the older tech) however it's place as the go-to sim for high quality mods isn't as assured as it once was and this is where Kunos are gaining traction.

I generally agree with your sentiment. I mean, even with all it's deficiencies right now, AC is WAY more popular.

Personally, I'm not sticking a crown on their head until I see some real intent to be a much better racing simulator (stop me if you've heard this one before!). As crazy as it sounds, we all know that's not as important to people as we might think it is.

rFactor 2 is just much, much more ambitious from a racing perspective. It's ugly, and weird, and insular, but it's trying hard to be a very good racing simulator. With the forthcoming oval rules, and endurance rules that gulf is only going to widen, and it was already pretty damn wide.

It that really going to change anything though.... probably not.

TJP

Personally, I'm not sticking a crown on their head until I see some real intent to be a much better racing simulator (stop me if you've heard this one before!).
The remix I imagine BG listened to whilst posting about Assetto Corsa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Pj2PqSFug

Just a I little levity; I hope no offence was taken ;) And I agree with your comment Big by the way..

rFactor 2 is just much, much more ambitious from a racing perspective. It's ugly, and weird, and insular, but it's trying hard to be a very good racing simulator. With the forthcoming oval rules, and endurance rules that gulf is only going to widen, and it was already pretty damn wide.
Indeed - rF2 is great tech wrapped up in anachronistic series of packages. Isimotor 2.5 will be better used by third parties rather than ISI themselves as history has shown us; GSC 2015 using the latest tech would be incredible.

fresquito

Yesterday I finally got my G27 and I'm surprised at how hard the brake (and the clutch to a lesser extent) feels. Is there anything I'm missing? is there a way to ease it a bit? I don't have a playseat and everytime I want to brake or clutch, my desktop chair goes back, which is a bit annoying and keeps me from focusing on learning the tricks of clutching and gear shifting properly :-/

Shaneus

This is kinda interesting. A student at Warsaw University of Technology is writing a thesis on using photogrammetry for track creation. He uses a variety of photos to generate a point cloud and then the point cloud to create 3D data. The thread's here on the rF2 forums.

Anyway, here's what he's been able to create so far.
That's awesome as shit. You could easily (I'd think) get drones to do that to practically any track. Probably not to the level of detail as laser scanning, but for creating basic tracks for the "home" hobbyist or something, it'd be great.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mid Ohio is Virtua_LM track along with Le Mans 1991-96, Fuji, and Sebring (I might have forgotten one..). These were the very pinnacle of rFactor tracks. I think they've all been converted to AC. EDIT: Totally wrong. Mid Ohio looks to be the only one to have been converted. Not sure why I thought they all had. Must have had rF2 on the mind.

Definitely grab Mid Ohio though. It's fantastic.
Ok, will do.

I generally agree with your sentiment. I mean, even with all it's deficiencies right now, AC is WAY more popular.

Personally, I'm not sticking a crown on their head until I see some real intent to be a much better racing simulator (stop me if you've heard this one before!). As crazy as it sounds, we all know that's not as important to people as we might think it is.
This is true. Assetto Corsa is a fantastic driving simulator at the moment, so it has the foundations built, but there isn't a whole lot on the racing side to get excited about. I still do a bit of multiplayer here and there, but there just isn't much to it(and 80% of the people in public servers are terrible, so competition is limited).

Yesterday I finally got my G27 and I'm surprised at how hard the brake (and the clutch to a lesser extent) feels. Is there anything I'm missing? is there a way to ease it a bit? I don't have a playseat and everytime I want to brake or clutch, my desktop chair goes back, which is a bit annoying and keeps me from focusing on learning the tricks of clutching and gear shifting properly :-/
You're not missing anything, no. Most people consider the pedals to be too light, but a lot of people have a different setup where they don't have to deal with a chair that moves around so easily. I'm guessing you're on a hard surface? You'll probably just have to find something kinda heavy to stick behind you when you play. Or you can try replacing your casters with locking ones. The pedals shouldn't be so heavy that you need to go to an extremes here.

Meanwhile, I spilled like a 1/4 of a glass of water on my G27 this morning. Wasn't a ton, but I know plenty got all into the internals. Should I be worried? I'm scared to start it up and try it. :/

This is kinda interesting. A student at Warsaw University of Technology is writing a thesis on using photogrammetry for track creation. He uses a variety of photos to generate a point cloud and then the point cloud to create 3D data. The thread's here on the rF2 forums.

I was reading about photogrammetry a couple days ago and first thing I thought of was how good it would be for creating great looking track environments. Didn't even think of it for a sort of scan of a track layout.

The remix I imagine BG listened to whilst posting about Assetto Corsa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Pj2PqSFug

Just a I little levity; I hope no offence was taken ;) And I agree with your comment Big by the way..

Indeed - rF2 is great tech wrapped up in anachronistic series of packages. Isimotor 2.5 will be better used by third parties rather than ISI themselves as history has shown us; GSC 2015 using the latest tech would be incredible.

Ha! Love that Denny Green remix! GSC 2015 on rF2... one can only dream!!

I can't believe how well it came out. Great idea by that guy.

That's what I was thinking. Let it dry and hope for the best!

It shouldn't be a problem.... shouldn't :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I recently just got my first G27 too and yeah, my roller desk chair goes back every time I use the pedals. I've resorted to getting one of the kitchen chairs whenever I use the wheel for now, that solves it. I want to build myself a new desk soon, I might try to design some method of locking my chair in place.

I recently just got my first G27 too and yeah, my roller desk chair goes back every time I use the pedals. I've resorted to getting one of the kitchen chairs whenever I use the wheel for now, that solves it. I want to build myself a new desk soon, I might try to design some method of locking my chair in place.

I use these.

Get yourself situated, lock them, and it's like sitting in any other non-rolling chair. I don't even bother locking all five. Three is enough to handle a modded T500 brake which is probably 3x times as stiff as the stock G27 one.

Other than accidentally stepping on one and locking it, which admittedly is annoying, it works as well as you could hope.

If you want/need hardwood floor casters (for use without a pad), you can get them, but it'll cost you. If you're in the US, check Caster City.

bj00rn_

Banned

I put a rugged carpet under mine, works pretty well. Short time solution, shove some toothpicks or something in the wheels :) And before I got the carpet I just put my guitar cord behind the wheels..

I actually had more fun in replays on iRacing using a DK1 than driving! Driving wasn't a pleasant experience, it proved the concept but that was it. But the replays were crazy, as iRacing has particularly great cameras. The 'far chase' one is ace, feels like you're Superman. The chopper is incredible, the blimp not so much because everything was so small, absolutely no fidelity on DK1, but probably a lot better on DK2. And the ones attached to the sides of the car are great, as it really feels like you're plastered against the bodywork, and the metal is towering above you, filling most of your vision. The cars really come to life when you see them close up and you're actually having to converge your eyes to focus on the surfaces. iRacing have some nice static 'scenic' cameras that work well as spectator views if they didn't keep switching around. Hopefully they can expand their camera range to suit VR when the full support comes.

I actually had more fun in replays on iRacing using a DK1 than driving! Driving wasn't a pleasant experience, it proved the concept but that was it. But the replays were crazy, as iRacing has particularly great cameras. The 'far chase' one is ace, feels like you're Superman. The chopper is incredible, the blimp not so much because everything was so small, absolutely no fidelity on DK1, but probably a lot better on DK2. And the ones attached to the sides of the car are great, as it really feels like you're plastered against the bodywork, and the metal is towering above you, filling most of your vision. The cars really come to life when you see them close up and you're actually having to converge your eyes to focus on the surfaces. iRacing have some nice static 'scenic' cameras that work well as spectator views if they didn't keep switching around. Hopefully they can expand their camera range to suit VR when the full support comes.

Amazing.

Yeah, you can't say enough good things about iRacing's camera tools. They're incredible. The "gourmet" set from the forums is a must have as well. Like you said, ones specifically tailored for VR would be outrageous. I wonder if you could do a plugin that allowed for "flying" the camera with a controller. It'd be nuts.

fresquito

Thanks to everybody who replied to the G27 issue. I've tried to fix my roller chair and somehow it works better now. I will try to find a better solution, though.

Mascot

What am I doing wrong here in GTR2?
I follow instructions for installing mods, which in the readme files generally say something like "unpack files to main GTR2 directory" or some other equally vague and unhelpful semi-ambiguous nonsense, and of course the mods don't work. With a little drilling I can sort of work out where everything goes and get the mods to work eight out of ten times, but am I over-complicating things for myself?

I know to unpack tracks to 'Locations' and cars to 'Teams' (or whatever), but when I actually follow the instructions shit just seems to scatter to the four winds. My main GTR2 folder is full of all sorts of flotsam that is looking for it's correct home.

Did those installation instructions work perfectly on older OS back in 2008 but don't work with Win 7 or something?

Seanspeed

Banned
With a little drilling I can sort of work out where everything goes and get the mods to work eight out of ten times
That was about my strike rate modding rFactor.

You're also playing an older game, so there's possible incompatibilities with some of the mods at this point and some might have never gotten updated or whatever.

What am I doing wrong here in GTR2?
I follow instructions for installing mods, which in the readme files generally say something like "unpack files to main GTR2 directory" or some other equally vague and unhelpful semi-ambiguous nonsense, and of course the mods don't work. With a little drilling I can sort of work out where everything goes and get the mods to work eight out of ten times, but am I over-complicating things for myself?

I know to unpack tracks to 'Locations' and cars to 'Teams' (or whatever), but when I actually follow the instructions shit just seems to scatter to the four winds. My main GTR2 folder is full of all sorts of flotsam that is looking for it's correct home.

Did those installation instructions work perfectly on older OS back in 2008 but don't work with Win 7 or something?

You're such a f'n noob, Mascot :p :p

Windows built-in zip program? That's for old ladies. Cool kids for the past 20 years have been using WinRAR first, and now 7-Zip. It's a lot more powerful, and can do such things as right click, "extract to GTR2 folder" which automatically takes care of putting everything where it needs to go.

90% of the time, that's all that's expected from the user. If it's a really small mod or whatever, then maybe it hasn't been packed like that, and you'll have to do it by hand.

I tease, but we'll be more than happy to help you out.

Mascot

You're such a f'n noob, Mascot :p :p

Windows built-in zip program? That's for old ladies. Cool kids for the past 20 years have been using WinRAR first, and now 7-Zip. It's a lot more powerful, and can do such things as right click, "extract to GTR2 folder" which automatically takes care of putting everything where it needs to go.

90% of the time, that's all that's expected from the user. If it's a really small mod or whatever, then maybe it hasn't been packed like that, and you'll have to do it by hand.

I tease, but we'll be more than happy to help you out.

I'm using WinRAR, but I'm clicking the 'extract to' button and then manually finding the GTR2 folder. Is that where I'm going wrong? I haven't tried the right-click shenanigans. And I am a PROUD noob, I'll admit it!

I'm using WinRAR, but I'm clicking the 'extract to' button and then manually finding the GTR2 folder. Is that where I'm going wrong? I haven't tried the right-click shenanigans. And I am a PROUD noob, I'll admit it!

Oh, good. No, that's fine.

Things can get crazy pretty fast. New tracks are rarely an issue, but car packs, series mods, etc. can start to get problematic. Giant mods like P&G will even recommend giving it it's own, separate installation of the game. That's less of an issue if you've got plenty of storage like you'd have in a desktop, but on a laptop, I'm guessing you don't really have the luxury.

Mascot

Oh, good. No, that's fine.

Things can get crazy pretty fast. New tracks are rarely an issue, but car packs, series mods, etc. can start to get problematic. Giant mods like P&G will even recommend giving it it's own, separate installation of the game. That's less of an issue if you've got plenty of storage like you'd have in a desktop, but on a laptop, I'm guessing you don't really have the luxury.

P&G was a doddle to install (and is awesome, natch), as are cars and tracks. The fun starts with (for example) the Super GT mod. I got it working eventually but following the instructions rarely seems to work. Nothing seems to unpack into the correct folders.

Watevaman

I recommend you take a look at the cars and mods that work, then extract the Super GT stuff to the desktop in a folder and try to replicate the folder structure when you copy it over to your GTR2 folder.

And always keep a backup before you do this.

Yeah I always extract to a new folder and look at the contents to compare it to where it's supposed to go, then start dragging stuff in manually. If I let WinRAR do it, sometimes stuff ends up in the wrong layer.

Mascot

I recommend you take a look at the cars and mods that work, then extract the Super GT stuff to the desktop in a folder and try to replicate the folder structure when you copy it over to your GTR2 folder.

And always keep a backup before you do this.

Yeah I always extract to a new folder and look at the contents to compare it to where it's supposed to go, then start dragging stuff in manually. If I let WinRAR do it, sometimes stuff ends up in the wrong layer.

It's encouraging to hear this because I thought I was doing something wrong. Quite relieved to hear of others having similar problems. I can deal with it more confidently now.

I'll say it again though: it's ridiculous that these modders spend weeks, months, even years producing these incredible free mods, then spend twelve seconds writing shorthand installation instructions that often aren't any more useful than "Put some files (not going to tell you which files, mind - work it out!) into some folders somewhere (and we're not going to tell you which folders - that would be too easy). It might work. Have fun!"

TJP

RRE Live stream 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJzehyRhcw

Next update scheduled for October 7th. Future updates (these are not coming on Oct 7th) include:

• Test drive cars before purchase
  • Time of day changes
  • Pitstops for certain 'experiences' e.g. DTM 2014 and GT Masters
  • Simulation of driver change in GT Masters
  • DTM 2014 will feature different compound tyres (option tyres)
  • Nissan 300zx GTO class mentioned
  • DTM classics confirmed

Megasoum

Banned
Got a mail this morning from Fanatec telling me that I will receive a code soon that will allow me to pre-order the new CSW wheel.. I wonder if there's a market for selling that code? lol

Mascot

I'll start the bidding at £3.

I'm in no position to buy such a wheel at this stage!

I'm sticking with my GT2. It works more than well enough for my purposes on 360, PS3 and PC. If I do any upgrading to my cockpit it'll be swapping out my FM3 Playseat for one from a real car.

Business

Got a mail this morning from Fanatec telling me that I will receive a code soon that will allow me to pre-order the new CSW wheel.. I wonder if there's a market for selling that code? lol

Got it too but I think the code will be linked to your profile.

At that time nobody else will be able to purchase the product, as you need an invite code to put this product in your shopping cart. We will automatically put the code into your customer profile at www.fanatec.com and you will be informed in a separate e-mail when this has happened..

Arucardo

I got that too :eek: . I'm probably pretty low on the list though since the priciest thing I've bought directly from them are the CSR Elite pedals.

Got it too but I think the code will be linked to your profile.

Might not be. I recall them saying that you get another invite if you pre-order the wheel, so you can probably give it to someone else.

Good news rF2ers...

Sweet, although elegance isn't exactly ISI's strong suit. We'll see how it turns out. Anything's better than the current default UI, well, except for RaceRoom's (old?) UI. Just appalling, the both of them.

Minimalist UI really came to my rescue with rF2. It's busy as hell, but at least it doesn't confuse me.

Seanspeed

Banned
RRE Live stream 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJzehyRhcw

Next update scheduled for October 7th. Future updates (these are not coming on Oct 7th) include:

• Test drive cars before purchase
  • Time of day changes
  • Pitstops for certain 'experiences' e.g. DTM 2014 and GT Masters
  • Simulation of driver change in GT Masters
  • DTM 2014 will feature different compound tyres (option tyres)
  • Nissan 300zx GTO class mentioned
  • DTM classics confirmed
Speaking of RRE, I was watching some videos of it the other day and I've gotta say I was really impressed with their take on the 'racing line' feature we see in pretty much every game nowadays. Instead of a line, its got these rings that you aim for. It ensures you're setting up on the outside of a corner before entry and that you're coming down to the apex and whatnot.

Seems very basic, but I think psychologically, this might be better than having an entire racing line laid out for you. Instead of just looking down at a line as you drive, you are looking forward to the rings that you are trying to aim for. Which is *exactly* what you should be doing while driving - looking ahead at where you want to be.

I think its a great idea.

Jimrpg

Just got a G27! I was going to get a DFGT, but the G27 was on sale. It should do for now as I'm not so hard core and I want something with force feedback. Can't play it for a few more months though until I get back to Australia :(

Anyways I've looked through the OP, seems a bit old, are there any other racers that people would recommend. I've already got GT5, WRC 4, GTR 2, Euro Truck 2 and will probably pick up either Project Cars or Assetto Corsa.

Been wanting to get a good wheel since the GT3 days but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $300-400 then.... feels good guys.

Subbing this thread!

Mascot

Got an email from Fanatec, I'm apparently going to be able to order the club sport base V2 even though I didn't own the V1.

Yeah, I got the email too. I think anyone who bought a Clubsport product will get the option.
Man, I need to act with restraint right now. The timing is bad. I just got called in by my MD and got a hefty pay rise, so mustn't get all Scrooge McDuck and start buying shit I don't really need.

Edit: wow, on second reading that sounds really wanky. It wasn't that much. Didn't mean to sound like a dick.

Top Bottom