• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mrsmr2

Oh yes, get RBR and the RSRBR 2014 mods.

Steep learning curve but it's fantastic once you get some form of control over the cars.

Mr.Green

Should rename this the PC PC sim thread.

There's no harm in what he said, the girl started terribly and never improved. Turn the sound down and watch the boobs.

It's not about being overly PC, it's just common decency. You know, the kind that should come with adulthood. Just pretend there are women reading you and act like you would in real life.

Also, I'm pretty sure the internet has better resources than ISRTV if you need help extracting your own sperm.

TJP

You sure have helped yourself to being a tool.
Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

That topic wasn't worth getting so hot headed about and banned over.

Ark

Bedford, MA (September 11, 2014) – iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, the world’s most realistic racing game, today announced the addition of four Aston Martin Racing cars to the iRacing.com lineup. iRacing.com will create a virtual version of the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 that will compete next weekend in the iRacing.com Nürburgring 1000 Blancpain Sprint Series event, as well as other Aston Martin Racing cars including the Le Mans class-winning DBR9.

“The opportunity to produce these authentic digital Aston Martins is genuinely exciting news for iRacing,” says Tony Gardner, President of iRacing.com. “Aston Martin has long been synonymous with sports car racing excellence, and the opportunity to race the Vantage GT3, DBR9 and other Aston Martins on the virtual tracks of iRacing will generate tremendous enthusiasm among our members.”

The Aston Martins will join an impressive list of more than 40 world class sports, stock and open wheel cars already available to more than 52,000 iRacers worldwide.

iRacing.com enables motorsports and gaming enthusiasts around the world to race against one another online on 65 laser-scanned road courses, ovals and speedways in officially-sanctioned and private league competition. From GT racing to NASCAR, Grand Prix racing to prototypes and IndyCars, iRacing delivers the most realistic racing experience you can have on your PC or Mac from the comfort and convenience of your home. With literally thousands of official races every week, there is always someone to race against at iRacing.

In celebration of its relationship with Aston Martin and the sponsorship of the iRacing.com Nürburgring 1000, iRacing is offering a free, three month subscription to new members who visit www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000.

Go to www.iRacing.com for more information on iRacing and to read testimonials from stock car, road racing and sim racing champions the world over.

Aston Martin Racing Cars Join Iracing

Well, two years to go until we maybe see them? ;D

Jimrpg

Hey all - how's the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel for PC and PS3 games?

I'm not looking to spend much but still want something of reasonable quality. I would like the gear shift and clutch but I think the G27 at $300 is out of my price range. DFGT is only $130 in Aus/Asia. Does it do the job? I'm looking to play Gran Turismo 5, WRC4, Project Cars, Euro Truck 2 maybe Assetto Corsa. Was hoping to get support for Driveclub, but looks like the whole PS4/Logitech thing is a train wreck.

Addnan

I'm not looking to spend much but still want something of reasonable quality. I would like the gear shift and clutch but I think the G27 at $300 is out of my price range. DFGT is only $130 in Aus/Asia. Does it do the job? I'm looking to play Gran Turismo 5, Project Cars, Euro Truck 2 maybe Assetto Corsa. Was hoping to get support for Driveclub, but looks like the whole PS4/Logitech thing is a train wreck.

The wheel itself is very good, but the pedals you get what you pay for. It feels like a toy. In that price range you won't find anything better so it is a good buy.

Jimrpg

Great thanks. Just doing my due diligence :p

Yep looking at the pedals now and they are a bit plasticky compared to the more awesome stainless steel pedals in the G27.

sigh dilemmas!

well im sure they'll be better than my previous wheel....

mrsmr2

Played an hour last night and R3E has really good FFB now.

I always wondered how they managed to get this bit wrong considering the GTR/Race heritage but it's certainly right now.

It's funny, real time video narration is so prevalent these days that it's refreshing to get a relaxed tone, speaking breaks, and specific, well thought out info. I'm really enjoying the difference.

New mic? Sounds way better.
What the story with your faux alcantara wheel cover. I really like it. I want one.

I thought that poor steering animations would be problematic in VR. I'm kind of bummed to hear that you feel a disembodied head is worse. I always figured I'd end up disabling those weird stick arms that didn't' belong to me. I never really thought that no arms would be worse... although after writing out that sentence, ah hello! You can't apply a 2D fix to a 3D problem!

Thanks guys, and well-observed BT. The mic is the same, the improvements are from better audio production. Perhaps you are comparing it to where I was using it as a 'live' mic while driving in the 'Racing in VR' video and deliberately made it sound different to the voiceover sections? But if you've noticed it being improved compared to the voiceover parts of that video (mostly near the end), then you have good ears! :) Still experimenting with the best way to present these, so thanks for the feedback.

I made the wheel cover. It's a rough job, don't look too closely! I have indeed used faux alcantara, and the plan was to get the pattern exactly right before doing it in the real stuff (I've gone through several attempts to get to this point), and then potentially offering it as a service to people who want T500 wheel covers, but I've since discovered how much work it takes, and I wouldn't want to sell something that I wasn't fully satisfied with, so that may never happen. When I find the time I might try again, it'll probably fall off all by itself soon (it has lasted months however, I'm treating this as the durability testing phase!).

With a monitor I'd always disable arms and wheel if at all possible, so I wasn't expecting it to feel that strange, but it really does. It's possible to get used to no body, but for me, seeing a virtual body is more comfortable, even if it's low-poly like LFS, and even if the arms are all over the place. Every time I settle back to the 9 and 3 position and everything is in sync, it's awesome.

Grayman

I'm not looking to spend much but still want something of reasonable quality. I would like the gear shift and clutch but I think the G27 at $300 is out of my price range. DFGT is only $130 in Aus/Asia. Does it do the job? I'm looking to play Gran Turismo 5, WRC4, Project Cars, Euro Truck 2 maybe Assetto Corsa. Was hoping to get support for Driveclub, but looks like the whole PS4/Logitech thing is a train wreck.

I had one of these, or actually the older version which was the driver force pro. My experience is with a cheap madcatz lapwheel, the drivering for pro, and a G27. The wheel is smaller diameter than the G27 and the force feedback isn't as good but it is still a really solid piece of kit for that price.

The wheel clamps onto anything with a lip on it like the edge of your desk at the PC or even a little ikea type end table that you snug a chair up to. It is an easy thing to move around as a temporary setup.

It is a 900 degree of rotation wheel which is going to feel like a big jump over anything older you have used. Great for the console racers it supports. On PC you may end up locking your rotation lower through drivers to 450 or 360 depending on what type of cars you are driving. I think the forcefeedback is cable driven, it feels like you spent 150 bucks in a good way.

Pedals aren't great. Eventually mine started having glitchy input and false clicking in games so I moved up to a G27. The shifter is built into the side as well as small behind the wheel buttons.

I am not in the market for a wheel now but off the top of my head I don't think there are other wheels in that price quality/range.

Mascot

I'm still loving GTR2 and I'm still loving modding it to hell, but holy fuck how can some of these modders spend all that time and effort producing these wonderful mods then write vague, inadequate and baffling instructions about how and where to install them? Don't they want people to use them or something?

GAAAAAAHHHH..!

PGamer

fucking juniors
How is the VR support in Project CARS these days? Last I heard there were some noticeable latency problems preventing true 1:1 tracking. Is that still an issue?

How is the VR support in Project CARS these days? Last I heard there were some noticeable latency problems preventing true 1:1 tracking. Is that still an issue?
There are supposedly two problems - one is general latency, and the other is where the tracking isn't 1:1, regardless of latency. For me, with v-sync off and a 75fps lock, the response seems only very marginally slower than LFS. Others are saying it's very laggy, and I'm not getting that.

Then people say the tracking itself isn't 1:1. This first manifested itself in half scale rotational tracking (so a 90 degree head turn would appear as a 45 degree head turn). This was quickly fixed. However, people still say that the rotation is somehow odd, like the neck pivot is slightly wrong, the overall cockpit scale isn't right, etc. For me, I think I'm seeing very slight evidence of this, as there is something about the way you rotate your head that doesn't feel quite as spot-on as LFS (aside from the latency). But playing them in quite succession one after the other, all I can tell you is that LFS feels better somehow, but the difference is so slight that I can't even describe what PCARS is getting wrong.

It's very playable for me, but I'm always conscious that something doesn't feel quite right, whereas LFS is almost perfect.

PGamer

fucking juniors
There are supposedly two problems - one is general latency, and the other is where the tracking isn't 1:1, regardless of latency. For me, with v-sync off and a 75fps lock, the response seems only very marginally slower than LFS. Others are saying it's very laggy, and I'm not getting that.

Then people say the tracking itself isn't 1:1. This first manifested itself in half scale rotational tracking (so a 90 degree head turn would appear as a 45 degree head turn). This was quickly fixed. However, people still say that the rotation is somehow odd, like the neck pivot is slightly wrong, the overall cockpit scale isn't right, etc. For me, I think I'm seeing very slight evidence of this, as there is something about the way you rotate your head that doesn't feel quite as spot-on as LFS (aside from the latency). But playing them in quite succession one after the other, all I can tell you is that LFS feels better somehow, but the difference is so slight that I can't even describe what PCARS is getting wrong.

It's very playable for me, but I'm always conscious that something doesn't feel quite right, whereas LFS is almost perfect.

Well it's good to hear the issues aren't that bad anymore. Hopefully it gets all sorted out before the CV1 release.

I made the wheel cover. It's a rough job, don't look too closely! I have indeed used faux alcantara, and the plan was to get the pattern exactly right before doing it in the real stuff (I've gone through several attempts to get to this point), and then potentially offering it as a service to people who want T500 wheel covers, but I've since discovered how much work it takes, and I wouldn't want to sell something that I wasn't fully satisfied with, so that may never happen. When I find the time I might try again, it'll probably fall off all by itself soon (it has lasted months however, I'm treating this as the durability testing phase!).

What a great idea. Well, you've got one sale pending if you ever decide to make more of them.

Just last week I went through a "I want something different for my wheel" phase. Lost a bid on a 458 GTE wheel, researched adapters and third party wheels, got a bit frustrated and bought Elite Dangerous and a hotas instead :p (Rift preparation!).

Mascot

GTR 2 has a fairly straightforward file structure, what kind of problems are you having?

Tracks and cars are a piece of piss to get in the game, but I was trying to install some Super GT mod that was in two separate downloads (plus a separate patch). Try installing the first one but it hangs because it's looking for something in the second download (I think). Got fed up and turned off.

How hard would it have been to include some simple step-by-step instuctions?

Mascot

^Btw Mascot are you still working on that AC track?

Nope, not touched it. I will go back to it once I've got a more powerful PC that can handle the 3D geometry without keeling over and gasping for breath, but that's likely to be when the CV1 gets released. I'm having so much fun with GTR2 there seems little point in upgrading at the moment.

A few other bods here mentioned developing tracks using Blender or SketchUp - any progress chaps?

Arucardo

Noticed that the downshift paddle on my PWTS has started to double shift quite frequently now :( . Either I find out what kind of switch it uses and change it or this might be a good chance to upgrade :p

TJP

Finally I have a reason to keep RaceRoom on my hard drive. But the AI needs improvement.
AI is being worked on along with many other RRE areas. Sector 3 have so many to-be-announced projects in the pipeline...like this teaser from FB:

One last thing: Thursday September 18 at 17.00 CET, Sector3 will hold another next dev livestream on twitch. Send questions over twitter! #AskSector3 - https://twitter.com/Sector3studio

markao

Large interview with Gjon Camaj (ISI) about rFactor 2 and it's development, : SimHqMotorsports, follow up on the one they did at the release (2010).

Interesting read and looking forward to the games further development, not quit sure if I agree with his Steam (revenue gain/loss) statement.

Large interview with Gjon Camaj (ISI) about rFactor 2 and it's development, : SimHqMotorsports, follow up on the one they did at the release (2010).

Interesting read and looking forward to the games further development, not quit sure if I agree with his Steam (revenue gain/loss) statement.

Good interview. It's nice to have ETAs on some of this stuff. However, as always with them, you get a sense they're unable to evaluate their own software from outside of the bubble. I adore the driving experience, but so much of it is a rat's nest of bandaid systems, and half finished features.

I am pretty excited for the Endurance Series to be ported over, and for those oval rules to be finished.

---------

Anyone buy URD for Assetto yet?? How is it? I can't see myself double dipping, but you never know.

I've been trying all kinds of things to get it to work... no joy at the moment. :(

[edit] Success! Kinda.

Nice. I smell video time.

URD need to finish the updates to both the EGT and T5 mods for rF2 before I spend more money for the same thing in AC.

No Doubt. I am happy to see these mods cross pollinate however, like this Mak Corp F3 car. I'd like to see that sort of thing continue. I think we all lose if someone "wins".

I'll be curious to see how pay mods go over with the AC crowd.

TJP

OR support in RRE does work however it is extremely alpha! I know one of the testers got the okay to post some settings elsewhere, so here are his instructions (thanks Steve if you read this):

• Add -vr to launch options in Raceroom Racing Experience and you get DK2 support, albeit in very early stages.
  • You must run DK2 in extended mode and as primary monitor & turn off Motion Blur as it doesn't play nice. Make sure to set the in-game res to 75hz in the R3E menus
  • Only Practice will work right now as you cannot see the 'Go Race' buttons in other modes yet.
  • When you exit a practice session, the menus are broken so be prepared to ctrl+alt+dlt out.

No Doubt. I am happy to see these mods cross pollinate however, like this Mak Corp F3 car. I'd like to see that sort of thing continue. I think we all lose if someone "wins".
I understand your point and agree that we all lose if one sim wins however the sim that 'wins' will likely be the one with the best modding tools.

Kunos appear to have the best modding tools & support so I won't be surprised if only the diehards stick with rF2.

Top Bottom