• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Mazda 787B preview for Assetto Corsa
6eCzRJI.gif

Just compiling a list of upcoming rFactor 2 content, as it seems to be spread around a few different threads on the forums:

Tracks
Tiger Moth Aerodrome: Unlicensed Top Gear test track, but with a number of layouts around the outer roads. Tim says it reminds him GPL's Rouen <3
Mountain Peak: A 1.5 mile quad oval, with not only an infield course but a couple of kart tracks too.
Jackson Ville: a 2.5 mile oval, being developed by a 3rd party
'A Brazillian GP track': I'm guessing this is an unlicensed Interlagos. Also being developed by a 3rd party.
Atlanta Motorsports Park: A Tillke track... but looking at the photos, it doesn't seem too bad.
Two IndyCar road courses.
Another Stock Car circuit.

Cars

AC427
Stock Cars
Honda NSX
Chevrolet Corvette C6 (road version)

You saw it... and it was too little... their version is scaled incorrectly?

Too late... iRacing is a continuous service, what is there to be late for?

I meant the announcement. And it's too little too late for ME because a laser scanned Nordschleife would turn me over to iRacing in a heart beat a few years ago but now that I've experienced it on FM5 (and hopefully soon on AC) it's just not enough anymore. But I'm sure it will be amazing and users will love it.

I meant the announcement. And it's too little too late for ME because a laser scanned Nordschleife would turn me over to iRacing in a heart beat a few years ago but now that I've experienced it on FM5 (and hopefully soon on AC) it's just not enough anymore. But I'm sure it will be amazing and users will love it.
That's an interesting perspective, turning to iRacing just for a Nordschleife - for most people the main selling point of iRacing is the structured service for racing, and the 'Ring isn't a particularly great track for racing on unless you're really into endurance races (and they're only just about to enable driver swaps, and there's still no time-of-day simulation, so endurance stuff isn't ideal yet), so most would use it for time-trialling/fun. If they brought it out a few years ago it would be guaranteed to be the most accurate version which would have some appeal for time-trailling, but it's not like the alternatives were terrible before F5 or AC - Simbin and Polyphony's versions have been decent for several years.

Just compiling a list of upcoming rFactor 2 content, as it seems to be spread around a few different threads on the forums:

Tracks
Tiger Moth Aerodrome: Unlicensed Top Gear test track, but with a number of layouts around the outer roads. Tim says it reminds him GPL's Rouen <3
Mountain Peak: A 1.5 mile quad oval, with not only an infield course but a couple of kart tracks too.
Jackson Ville: a 2.5 mile oval, being developed by a 3rd party
'A Brazillian GP track': I'm guessing this is an unlicensed Interlagos. Also being developed by a 3rd party.
Atlanta Motorsports Park: A Tillke track... but looking at the photos, it doesn't seem too bad.
Two IndyCar road courses.
Another Stock Car circuit.

Cars

AC427
Stock Cars
Honda NSX
Chevrolet Corvette C6 (road version)

Thanks for the list.

There's a few thing I didn't know about. NSX, after my heart that one! Even when my interest in racing road cars on race tracks has dwindled to virtually zero, I've still got time for the NSX.

There's a few thing I didn't know about. NSX, after my heart that one! Even when my interest in racing road cars on race tracks has dwindled to virtually zero, I've still got time for the NSX.
Yeah, purpose built racecars are all I drive these days, but the NSX is special! I'll happily pootle around in that all day long. Like some of the circuits, I believe the NSX is being developed by a 3rd party… speculation: Niels?

TJP

Yeah, purpose built racecars are all I drive these days, but the NSX is special! I'll happily pootle around in that all day long. Like some of the circuits, I believe the NSX is being developed by a 3rd party… speculation: Niels?
This would open a world of opportunity if Niels is developing cars in rF2....I dream about GSC using the latest ISI tech.

That's an interesting perspective, turning to iRacing just for a Nordschleife - for most people the main selling point of iRacing is the structured service for racing, and the 'Ring isn't a particularly great track for racing on unless you're really into endurance races (and they're only just about to enable driver swaps, and there's still no time-of-day simulation, so endurance stuff isn't ideal yet), so most would use it for time-trialling/fun. If they brought it out a few years ago it would be guaranteed to be the most accurate version which would have some appeal for time-trailling, but it's not like the alternatives were terrible before F5 or AC - Simbin and Polyphony's versions have been decent for several years.

Oh yeah, I would do mostly time-trailling. A "perfect" Nodschleife would be impossible to pass up. I've done countless laps on GT5 and 6. Great representation of the track (and weather/time of day adds so much) but the physics in that series leaves something to be desired.

Seanspeed

Banned
Annoyingly, Nordschleife seems to be a super popular choice to race on in multiplayer with racing sims and I would almost think(hope) that it would off-putting for many iRacing enthusiasts. Which would be great! lol I like driving it, but as a fan of actual racing, its fairly awful. And in iRacing especially, man, it just sounds like frustration since you've gotta properly worry about crashes and clean driving and damage and whatnot. So hard to race cleanly.

I'm gonna get into iRacing again here soon. I did my 3 month trial, but only did maybe 15 races or so? It was really good fun, but I wasn't ready to commit to buying more cars/tracks yet.

Oh wow. I wish iRacing would get off their asses and make the graphics this good.
I think iRacing already looks better than that. R3E certainly has a more modern graphics engine at this stage, but the visuals are stylised in quite a distinctive way, actually I'd say R3E has the most stylised visuals of all the modern sims. There's plenty of colour grading, some 'artistic licence' in terms of track decoration (was even worse when they had those horrible brake markers), and some of the texturing for the cars seem overly saturated, with some shutlines/panel gaps are outlined in a way that gives an almost cartoony, cel-shaded look at times. iRacing as no such stylised visuals, so to me it looks more realistic, despite lacking a bunch of modern effects.

Woodchipper

I think when it comes to visuals and iRacing, reflections is where it lacks the most, followed by weather effects and day/night transitions, and the fact that it does not have metallic/pearl/chrome paint job effects.

I don't ever think I've said "gee, I wished this looked better" when playing iRacing. I really like the crystal clear IQ. That's what appeals to my eye. A 24h lightcycle would be my one true request, but even then, I'm going to lump that into gameplay rather than graphics.

I am getting better at Assetto Corsa every day. Was racing with two of my friends on our own server at Mugello last night for a couple of hours. So much fun!

I made a quite unpopular thread about my Assetto experiences: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130133870

Very nice. Glad you're enjoying yourself. If you ever get around to iRacing, be sure to pick up their laser scanned Zandy.

Seanspeed

Banned
I am getting better at Assetto Corsa every day. Was racing with two of my friends on our own server at Mugello last night for a couple of hours. So much fun!

I made a quite unpopular thread about my Assetto experiences: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130133870
Sorry I missed that thread. Was a good topic!

If you're a big motorsports fan, getting into sim racing will give you a whole new appreciation for it.

Ark

I think iRacing already looks better than that. R3E certainly has a more modern graphics engine at this stage, but the visuals are stylised in quite a distinctive way, actually I'd say R3E has the most stylised visuals of all the modern sims. There's plenty of colour grading, some 'artistic licence' in terms of track decoration (was even worse when they had those horrible brake markers), and some of the texturing for the cars seem overly saturated, with some shutlines/panel gaps are outlined in a way that gives an almost cartoony, cel-shaded look at times. iRacing as no such stylised visuals, so to me it looks more realistic, despite lacking a bunch of modern effects.

You're right, it doesn't look bad, but it just feels a bit.... Lifeless, to me.

I don't ever think I've said "gee, I wished this looked better" when playing iRacing. I really like the crystal clear IQ. That's what appeals to my eye. A 24h lightcycle would be my one true request, but even then, I'm going to lump that into gameplay rather than graphics.

Very nice. Glad you're enjoying yourself. If you ever get around to iRacing, be sure to pick up their laser scanned Zandy.

I think I just want the game to look like Gran Turismo, lol.

Zandvoort in iRacing is awesome. I'm doing it this week in the RUF C-Spec and it's so much fun. Difficult to overtake, but rewarding to drive.

I finally splashed out on some RaceRoom Racing Experience points and immediately purchased their Zandvoort and Suzuka. Are they laser scanned?
Nope. But Sector3 always had a talent at creating tracks in the traditional manner (GPS data, reference images, etc) so they're pretty good. The recent update gives the surfaces a bit more life too.

Sorry I missed that thread. Was a good topic!

If you're a big motorsports fan, getting into sim racing will give you a whole new appreciation for it.

Definitely! It already does.

The thrill of really fighting each other on track for 20, 25 laps and the physical and mental strength required for it are really something else. I am relating my (few) experiences to the ones at the races I watch and vice versa, which is indeed a lot of fun.

TJP

So far: cars feel a little too easy to drive but best sound ever.
That used to be a common complaint as RRE tried to appeal to a mass market - focus has changed back to what Sector3/SimBin does best. All cars will receive new physics at some point in the near future. The cars with the most up-to-date physics are the ADAC Masters GT3 class whilst the Zakspeed Capri and IMSA spec Audi 90 are both a handful too and more akin to where Sector3 are taking RRE.

As for laser scanned tracks in RRE - they're aren't any however Sector3 does send its people out to photograph every inch of the circuit. Feels3 is (mostly?) responsible for updating and creating the tracks in RRE - you've seen his work in rF2 so you know his tracks are of a very high quality and accurate too. Sector3 have their own tech for adding the appropriate camber, dips, rises and the lumps and bumps in braking zones etc too.

Nope. But Sector3 always had a talent at creating tracks in the traditional manner (GPS data, reference images, etc) so they're pretty good. The recent update gives the surfaces a bit more life too.
Thanks for the info.
All cars will receive new physics at some point in the near future. The cars with the most up-to-date physics are the ADAC Masters GT3 class whilst the Zakspeed Capri and IMSA spec Audi 90 are both a handful too and more akin to where Sector3 are taking RRE.
Ah, well the Audi has been very tempting and after reading the above, even more so. :)

Is there an active Assetto Corsa community on GAF?

We've got an AC thread right here. It could use some bump-lovin', so post your heart out.

Oooh. Niels' getting his toes wet with rF2? GSC2015 in rF2?!?

Doubt they'd do that while it's STILL in beta (seriously, wtf) but this could be big.

That'd be great, obviously!

ISI could really use some clients for this new engine. They can't just idly sit there and watch Reiza say they're going to raise cash to bring gMotor2 up to 2.5's level. Paying Niels to some cars is a good start.

I really can't wait to see how the NSX transitions over. ..and to finally get great AI to race with? Oh yeah, I'm ready. It sounds like it's coming up soon too.

TJP

Oooh. Niels' getting his toes wet with rF2? GSC2015 in rF2?!?

Doubt they'd do that while it's STILL in beta (seriously, wtf) but this could be big.
ISI will tell you that rF2 isn't in beta and hasn't been for quite some time; it's development however is ongoing ;)

I'd love to see GSC in a different isimotor version; version 2 is fantastic and with a new graphics engine (ala RRE), it can look really great however version 2.5 with the real road tech and new tyre model amongst other things would make GSC even sweeter. I guess it comes back to how much extra Niels thinks he can squeeze out of the older engine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know what the differences are between the different models of wheelstand pro? Have the one for the logitech DFGT and considering getting the thrustmaster T300RS. The wheelstand guys recommend getting the dedicated wheelstand for that model and say the DFGT one isn't designednfor heavier wheels.

But looking on their website, the different models look identical, and I cant find specs anywhere. Maybe they have different mounting points etc but what else?

Does anyone know what the differences are between the different models of wheelstand pro? Have the one for the logitech DFGT and considering getting the thrustmaster T300RS. The wheelstand guys recommend getting the dedicated wheelstand for that model and say the DFGT one isn't designednfor heavier wheels.

But looking on their website, the different models look identical, and I cant find specs anywhere. Maybe they have different mounting points etc but what else?

Also look at the Fanatec wheel stand, its pretty stable.

Guys, is this a good bundle for a newbie? http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/module/configurator;bundle_id;17

Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel US + CSR Pedals US = $230

Since I don't live in the US, I can't choose the bundle with the cockpit (I'll have to buy it in my country). I'm the future, I'd like to add a shifter as well. However, I'm wondering if this set offers sufficient feedback.
That's good value, although I believe the US prices for the Logitech G27 are slightly lower, and you get a shifter. They're fairly comparable in terms of performance, but the Fanatec stuff will feel a bit more premium. The wheel seems to boil down to personal preference - some like the natural damping of the belt in the GT3RS, others like the sharp, direct feel of the geared G27.

The ones on the site are all beefed-up V2s. Do you have a V1?

Mascot

Is there a tachometer for the HUD in PnG3?
Or is there a mod to put one in?

I figured this GTR2 tachometer mod might transfer across with a little work but just take a second to read the installation instructions for GTR2.

"INSTALATION:
place the file "MOTECHUD.dds" in the "Teams" and puts "FNTHMOTL.TGA"
UIData folder inside the file "UIAssets.GTR" because only in folder does not work."

Just like that. Easy.

Seriously, why the FUCK can't a significant number of modders provide adequate installation instructions? It's like they deliberately make them inadequate or ambiguous, as if they don't fucking want people to use their mods. Jesus Christ.

Mascot

The comments say you need this:

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=1863

I assume you need to unpack the UIAssets.GTR folder and place the FNTHMOTL file inside and repack it.

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion but without clear instructions I thought FUCK. THAT.

Seems like I've now somehow fucked up my PnG installation. Not sure how, but following vague instructions coupled with my basic knowledge is the likely culprit.

I can see I'm going to have to just accept shit like this if I embrace PC gaming.

Edit of joy: was just about to have a hissy fit, uninstall PnG and buy a PS4 when I somehow utterly lucked out and incredibly happened to notice that one of maybe forty of the Mini Coopers that I'd installed recently didn't have a spinny model on the car select screen. Thought this odd, deleted that particular car folder and the game now appears to work fine again. Phew!

I can't really imagine having any more fun in a racing sim than I am at the moment racing huge grids of Mini Coopers on a variety of tracks. It's just superbly sublime.
Remind me again: why do I need a £1,500 rig and pCARS or Assetto Corsa?

Top Bottom