• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion but without clear instructions I thought FUCK. THAT.

Seems like I've now somehow fucked up my PnG installation. Not sure how, but following vague instructions coupled with my basic knowledge is the likely culprit.

I can see I'm going to have to just accept shit like this if I embrace PC gaming.

Edit of joy: was just about to have a hissy fit, uninstall PnG and buy a PS4 when I somehow utterly lucked out and incredibly happened to notice that one of maybe forty of the Mini Coopers that I'd installed recently didn't have a spinny model on the car select screen. Thought this odd, deleted that particular car folder and the game now appears to work fine again. Phew!

I can't really imagine having any more fun in a racing sim than I am at the moment racing huge grids of Mini Coopers on a variety of tracks. It's just superbly sublime.
Remind me again: why do I need a £1,500 rig and pCARS or Assetto Corsa?

So you're not forced to run eight year old software that often needs creole voodoo to work properly. Seriously, AC has all the same benefits with a lot fewer of the drawbacks.

TJP

United Racing Design are making their 2014 T5 mod (DTM series) for both rF2 and Assetto Corsa. URD are making the Corvette C7 for Kunos and have completed work for SMS in pCARS.
10468617_586831871445991_5006658930383080475_o.jpg

URD are also making Super GT mod for JT5 DLC for rF2 & Assetto Corsa:

Problem is for which sim do you buy the mods for? It would be nice if URD offered a heavy discount for buying mods for both sims.

Zeth

I recently purchased URD's AC GT mod and I've been pretty happy with it despite its early state. From what I gather this group is well known in the greater sim community? I have to thank all the people whining about paid mods in all the forums or I might never have discovered it, heh.

TJP

I recently purchased URD's AC GT mod and I've been pretty happy with it despite its early state. From what I gather this group is well known in the greater sim community?
I'm slightly disappointed that their rF2 Enduro mod has been put on the backburner; I know the AC mod is being worked on by one guy and Ales of URD has been working for Kunos and SMS at the same time plus trying to finish the mods. I think URD make very high quality mods; the URD DTM T5 mod was very good - not as great as the Sector 3 DTM but very damn good so I don't mind supporting them when they make mods that I like.

I have to thank all the people whining about paid mods in all the forums or I might never have discovered it, heh.
The sim racing community is full of whiners and people who apparently want everything for nothing. URD make scratch made mods - this isn't the old 'let's rip the content from GTR\Race\Forza\NFS and upload it'..the people at URD have taken the time to model the cars themselves and used the physics of cars made by Kunos and ISI, with permission, to create these mods.

There were dickheads on RD sharing the AC EGT dropbox linkwhen URD expressly ask that you don't share it and they got huffy when the RD mods removed the link.

Problem is for which sim do you buy the mods for? It would be nice if URD offered a heavy discount for buying mods for both sims.

I've only bought EGT for rF2. I'd like it for AC too of course, but I'm not sure if I'll double dip. I have absolutely zero issue with pay mods, but If we're going to continue to get these things in parallel, I'd really like to see a single price.

I recently purchased URD's AC GT mod and I've been pretty happy with it despite its early state. From what I gather this group is well known in the greater sim community? I have to thank all the people whining about paid mods in all the forums or I might never have discovered it, heh.

Heh, well at least they're good for something!

Ah, but my four-year-old laptop runs that eight-year-old software superbly..!
:p

:)

Have any of the new Nvidia cards with multi-gpu Oculus support changed your timeframe for buying a dedicated machine? I don't believe the hardware landscape is going to look too different between now and retail Rift. I mean there's always something better coming along, but nothing worth waiting a year for.

Mascot

:)

Have any of the new Nvidia cards with multi-gpu Oculus support changed your timeframe for buying a dedicated machine? I don't believe the hardware landscape is going to look too different between now and retail Rift. I mean there's always something better coming along, but nothing worth waiting a year for.
Yeah, Rift will be the trigger. No real point buying now as bang-for-buck will be better in a year's time and optimum specs will be known.
Plus, I'm having too much fun in GTR2/PnG and have only really driven two or three tracks. There's another 197 or so left to explore yet..!

TJP

Pfff, when will ISI move into the 21st century and use polygons & textures? There's no need for ugly 2D racing games in this day and age.
I turned the video off as I became physically repulsed by the so called graphics. The physics of the Tiger Moth - laughable Atari 2600 levels of flight 'simulation'. 1C Company must be pissing themselves; I know I was.

Yes, we are indeed taking the piss! New tracks look great as did the video

TJP

Bought the URD mod for Assetto Corsa after reading the thread on Race Department (you bastards!). 9.90 Euro for 5 scratch made cars is solid value especially as I'll drive them all the time.

EGT looks a lot better in AC than rF2 which is hardly a surprise; it'll be interesting to see how each mod develops and how different they regarding vehicle physics and tyre modelling.

mrsmr2

It is, but it has more variations as well. Looks lovely - for an airfield course.

EDIT: will watch EB's video later but I predict a win for rF2. I've only tried the Corvette and I know which I'd pick.

mrsmr2

Still haven't watched the video but have read the comments.

EB says pretty much as what I think when I compare the two. rF2 feels lighter and more responsive, and you get to the limit much quicker.
AC has a limit but there's very little difference between safe driving, and on-the-limit-I've-spun driving.

One the limit driving is easier in rF2 because the game feeds back more - FFB, audio, and video. You can barely hear rear wheels spinning up in AC.

I prefer the feel of weight in AC - which I think is simply because the cars aren't as direct as rF2's.

I like both and really like the road cars in AC but, FFB wise, no contest.

TJP

Empty Box compares both URD EGT mods in his latest video. I haven't yet watched it myself.

http://youtu.be/Fg6dIxbsREA
A slightly interesting video however it really only serves to highlight EB's personal preferences and really not much more. He lost me when he started calling into question the accuracy of the laser scanned Silverstone in AC and then proceeded to talk about iRacing tracks*.

URD have been working with rF2 for some time and they've only just started with AC - sure it's the same mod however they are at far different levels of development. I'm happy to have both sims and the same mod for both.

*Pretty much confirms where I suspected his biases lie. Not a surprise as everyone has their favourite sim ;)

TJP

He's spot on about the ffb though.
True. I have mentioned here on many occasions that I prefer the rF2 FFB however it does require some fettling to get the FFB to a better level than other sims that I own. With AC I stick with the suggestions of Kunos and it feels pretty damn good.

TJP

The test drive is on one track & for a set amount of minutes. Of course you can choose to drive it over and over again if you like.

A slightly interesting video however it really only serves to highlight EB's personal preferences and really not much more. He lost me when he started calling into question the accuracy of the laser scanned Silverstone in AC and then proceeded to talk about iRacing tracks*.

URD have been working with rF2 for some time and they've only just started with AC - sure it's the same mod however they are at far different levels of development. I'm happy to have both sims and the same mod for both.

*Pretty much confirms where I suspected his biases lie. Not a surprise as everyone has their favourite sim ;)

I follow him in regards to tracks.

I think his point was that yes, AC has scanned tracks, but it's only a half step up from rF2 as opposed to iRacing's full step. iRacing's tracks are still the cream of the crop, and I think it largely has to do with their tools. How they surface the tracks is beyond what AC or anybody is doing. IMO, it's a lot more convincing. Surely, AC's suspect ffb doesn't help their cause here.

I wouldn't have thought you would have drawn the bias card though. People can come to reasonable conclusions without prejudging. Right?

Reading through some threads on the rFactor forums, it seems that ISI have given permission for a modder to convert their Jacksonville circuit to Assetto Corsa.

TJP

I wouldn't have thought you would have drawn the bias card though.
Excuse me? Please take a step back for a second. I simply wanted to point out that from my point of view EB appears to be a big fan and/or holds a soft spot for of iRacing and it often shows in his videos. I know my post history shows I am a fan of just about every sim available, including forgotten ones such as Simraceway.

For example, in his R3E Update video, Empty Box castigated Sector3 for their pricing model and structure (to be fair nobody likes the vRP) yet he is fine with the iRacing model that requires users to buy cars, tracks and a subscription in order to use them. In regards to the URD mod video, we don't know how Kunos makes their tracks other than the basis of each is via laser scanning. EB states the Kunos Silverstone is only slightly better than ISI's and neither company makes tracks as good as what iRacing does...

I can't say that I've driven an iRacing track and been blown away by the track surface compared to what other dev's have created. The tracks in every sim are only as good or bad as the people making them. The one area I do think iRacing excels in (apart from it's online service) is the natural colour pallette they use. I think iRacing is the most realisitic looking (not best graphically) of the sims currently available.

TJP

Reading through some threads on the rFactor forums, it seems that ISI have given permission for a modder to convert their Jacksonville circuit to Assetto Corsa.
ISI really are a great bunch of people - how many other dev teams would give permission for someone to convert their track to another sim? Off the top of my head the LFS people allowed Blackwood to be converted to Assetto Corsa too.

On a side note but related to rF2 and AC, I had a discussion with Ales of URD asking if he'd consider a discount for those of us who own the mods for rF2 that are being added to AC. Ales said he's open to the idea for future projects which is great news; he appears to be another very amiable chap.

Excuse me? Please take a step back for a second. I simply wanted to point out that from my point of view EB appears to be a big fan and/or holds a soft spot for of iRacing and it often shows in his videos. I know my post history shows I am a fan of just about every sim available, including forgotten ones such as Simraceway.

I'm sorry, what? You just brushed the guy's opinion off as fanboy nonsense. I mean the guy's not calling the grass blue and sky green here.

For example, in his R3E Update video, Empty Box castigated Sector3 for their pricing model and structure (to be fair nobody likes the vRP) yet he is fine with the iRacing model that requires users to buy cars, tracks and a subscription in order to use them. In regards to the URD mod video, we don't know how Kunos makes their tracks other than the basis of each is via laser scanning. EB states the Kunos Silverstone is only slightly better than ISI's and neither company makes tracks as good as what iRacing does...

These aren't unreasonable conclusions. iRacing is a good service that lots of people think is worth their money. Of course many people don't, but plenty of people do. RaceRoom on the other hand has been a marginal title since it's inception (it's definitely getting better now). Forget the money, was it even worth your time? Not until recently. The pricing sucks mostly because the product has been mediocre.

Again, I also think iRacing creates the best tracks, so this to me is not suspect in any way. If you're going to mention AC does laser scanning, it's not going to be long before you should say "yeah, but it's not the end all be all". I think that's fair game.

I just find it irksome that you were quick to write off what he said as bias, like somehow he's totally off the beaten path, and his judgment is clouded. If he's not completely on point, he's close enough that asterisking his opinion just seems kind of thoughtless.

TJP

I'm sorry, what? You just brushed the guy's opinion off as fanboy nonsense. I mean the guy's not calling the grass blue and sky green here.
I never stated or inferred 'fanboy nonsense' - that's down to what you made of my post. I said EB has a favouritism towards iRacing given what has been said in his most recent videos. I don't agree with his comment about the accuracy/worth of AC's laser scanning of Silverstone either. I'm pretty confident EB doesn't give a shit whether I agree or not with him and it won't prevent me from watching his future videos ;)

To be honest, I'm not interested in shitting up this thread nor having a 'handbags at dawn' argument within this thread. NeoGAF is already full of dickheads engaged in such activities. I put my point across and if you or others don't like it, that's cool we can agree to disagree and move on to enjoying these sims and posting news.

Edit: having played both the rF2 and AC versions of the URD EGT mod I'm confident in my original assertion each mod is at a different point in development as the AC version feels rather wooden with little FFB even on the kerbs/rumble strips. Using the same track -Nurburgring GP - with the Kunos made 599XX feels a lot better, especially in FFB. Edit 2: the FFB and feel in rF2 is better.

I never stated or inferred 'fanboy nonsense' - that's down to what you made of my post. I said EB has a favouritism towards iRacing given what has been said in his most recent videos. I don't agree with his comment about the accuracy/worth of AC's laser scanning of Silverstone either. I'm pretty confident EB doesn't give a shit whether I agree or not with him and it won't prevent me from watching his future videos ;)

To be honest, I'm not interested in shitting up this thread nor having a 'handbags at dawn' argument within this thread. NeoGAF is already full of dickheads engaged in such activities. I put my point across and if you or others don't like it, that's cool we can agree to disagree and move on to enjoying these sims and posting news.

Edit: having played both the rF2 and AC versions of the URD EGT mod I'm confident in my original assertion each mod is at a different point in development as the AC version feels rather wooden with little FFB even on the kerbs/rumble strips. Using the same track -Nurburgring GP - with the Kunos made 599XX feels a lot better, especially in FFB. Edit 2: the FFB and feel in rF2 is better.

Look, that's fine.

What you call bias and favoritism, I just call opinion. If you disagree with him, that's absolutely fine, throwing around those terms is an attempt to discredit however. If that's not your intention then perhaps you should use different words.

Addnan

I want to try it, but no way am I paying anywhere near full price after last few years... Plus now they have announced 2015 running on a new engine and coming out earlier in the season.

I'm going to wait for the new engine, but I am curious about this updated handling.

I've actually only played these titles on console with controller. I know things fall apart a bit when you take it to PC with a wheel, but I've always enjoyed them as a comfy couch experience. I also recognize their difficulties of having to work with a very expensive license.

Also thumbs up on stretching your legs beyond VR, Paz!

-----------

The beta for MX Bikes, which quite a few of us gooshed over, is out. I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

http://www.virtualr.net/mx-bikes-beta-1-released

Video

DD

I'm interested in F1 2014 because of the slower turning speeds. But in the Beta Lines video the guys said that the brakes are better this year, which is something I don't enjoy much (too powerful brakes). But after buying '10, '11, '12 and '13 versions, I'm not really in the mood to buy it at full price, specially because I'll have to spend a lot of money on the Paul McCartney tickets very soon... :x

TJP

Niels of Reiza did say there was a lot of untapped potential in isimotor 2 and I'm guessing he was correct. Reiza should copy Sector3 and create their own graphics engine.

Hey guys. Sorry to ask this because I know it's been asked but a few days ago I saw someone recommend a bunch of PDFs that were a great introduction to driving (whether RL or in games) and I searched but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or has something similar? I've had Assetto Corsa for ages and I'm going to go nuts on it this week and maybe check out some other stuff too but I'm still pretty terrible at these games.

Thanks for any help you provide and just ignore me if you're sick of these questions :D

Hey guys. Sorry to ask this because I know it's been asked but a few days ago I saw someone recommend a bunch of PDFs that were a great introduction to driving (whether RL or in games) and I searched but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or has something similar? I've had Assetto Corsa for ages and I'm going to go nuts on it this week and maybe check out some other stuff too but I'm still pretty terrible at these games.

Thanks for any help you provide and just ignore me if you're sick of these questions :D

I don't know the PDFs you speak of, but Skip Barber's Going Faster. is the quintessential and timeless instruction video (RL). Just about all of it is applicable to sim racing as well. It'll help.

Top Bottom