• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

1-D_FTW

I'm guessing 3D significantly hits graphical performance/framerates?

It can be less with certain engines, but it's a good guide to assume you need to be able to render 1080P at 120fps to be able to get 60fps 3D.

Most racing sims aren't exactly demanding graphically, though. So you don't exactly need a monster rig to be able to do that.

TJP

Playable at Gamescom will be RaceRoom experience and SimBin has a UStream channel - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/simbin-gamescom

Assetto Corsa will be playable and Stefano from Kunos tweeted "We prepared 4 "scenario". 3 different races situations: Evora@Silverstone Z4GT3@Monza and KTM@Imola plus a "drift" scenario with M3" First Gamescom gameplay video is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AMTpWA8oAC0

I haven't read any posts from SMS about pCARS making an appearance 8(

RaceDepartment will be there and I'm sure many other sim racing websites will cover the event.

paskowitz

F1 2012 demo coming September 14 on console and 21st on PC.

Raceroom trailer. Is this GTR3?
bmw_134_judd.jpg

Assetto Corsa tablet interface control video.

1-D_FTW

Good stuff.

I imagine after last years rocky edition, they felt they needed a demo to try and win people over again.

If that's GTR 3, it continues to look real good.

Not really impressed with using touch control instead of a mouse, but there was info on the tablet when the main screen started loading. So hopfully that means it supports tablet telemetry right out of the box. Should really be a standard feature for any sim from this point forward.

1-D_FTW

I bet I'm not the only one more excited for GTR3. Give me retail over F2P any day for a racer. Especially if it's mod friendly.

TJP

No. Kunos have their own tech! Assetto Corsa is probably an extension of what Kunos created for Ferrari Virtual Academy.

Automaniax used footage from a SMS show reel when in fact they are using ISI's technology.

xptoxyz

No. Kunos have their own tech! Assetto Corsa is probably an extension of what Kunos created for Ferrari Virtual Academy.

Automaniax used footage from a SMS show reel when in fact they are using ISI's technology.

Yeah, got confused with the names, too many games of this genre at the same time.

I'm really digging the way Assetto Corsa looks. Gives me a GT5 vibe, something that pCARS, while being more technically advanced, doesn't give me.

Definitely gonna keep my eye on this one.

mclaren777

Now you can update us on things we might have missed on the PC racing sims front

Don't mind if I do. :)

Zach Griffin said:
Firstly, thanks for being so patient with the release and I appreciate your support and concern about the lack of updates!

As I'm sure you're all aware, the development has taken longer than anticipated. This is largely the result of being a one-person development team and balancing work/completing my business degree with the development of the game. This is further compounded due to the ambitious nature of the title, which introduces a highly immersive and seamless off-track experience as well as having to exceed the existing features of the competition.

The great news is the game/engine is now close to being in the public beta stage. Despite having said this before, various features took somewhat longer than previously anticipated as is the case with most tasks in game development. Since the previous update, additional tasks were also added which were the result of observed usability testing and feedback from internal testing (Read: watching people play the game to make it as playable, entertaining, and easy to understand as it can be for both simulation and arcade racers and those new to the genre).

The latest development has centered around completing these new tasks and extracting more performance from the engine so it can run on lower-spec hardware. I've also spent considerable time fine-tuning the net code to ensure the smoothest online racing.

I understand just how much you want to play the game and nothing has more priority than making that possible. Although many have mentioned the purpose of the beta is to allow you guys to find any bugs and tell me what works, it is much more successful when based on a beta version that has all the initial features more or less completed so you guys can find design/gameplay issues that I'm not aware of. There is an estimated 7 full weeks left for the remaining tasks, which I hope to achieve within the next 10 weeks.

A final word to those worried about KartSim being abandoned. Having dedicated nearly every day since March 2005 and most of my twenties to the game, I've resigned from and turned down many highly paid jobs as well as given up most of my social life and free time to do so. Given the opportunity cost, it is not something I have ever considered and the risk of doing so is far too high. The passion, motivation and desire to make the best racing game out there is as strong as ever; made a lot easier by just how good the game is.

Thanks once again and the wait is definitely worth it!

iln7vIXargolu.jpg

TJP

Posted in case anyone has missed these comments from SimBin staff. News from Jay Ekkel via the RaceRoom forums:

"I have confirmed the following a few times now on several forums. On GamesCom we used a build with the Amateur driving model, which means Stability control and Traction control fully enabled. This is required because 99% of the people visiting our booth believe they are good racers, but they are not. Even on the amateur models they have their hands full!

Although the amateur driving model can still be good fun when pushed to the limit, noone (including simracers) have been able to get even close to the potential laptime of the aquila on that racetrack. If i am not mistaken the top simracers was still 5-6 seconds of a good time wih the gamescom build. The top time set by a simracer was 1.27.xxx where the potential is 1.22.xxx.

Judging the amateur driving model without being able to maximize it's use is impossible.....

Edit:
At this moment of time we do not comment on the status of GTR3 since we want full focus to be on RRR-E. I will say that it is absolute nonsense to think just because a game is not called GTR3 it is suddenly arcade...
"

http://www.raceroom.net/forums/index.php/topic,1932.msg17080.html#msg17080

RaceRoom RE demo from Gamescom due in two weeks. From SimBin's JF Chardon on VirtualR: "Yop yop, just so it's clear, what will be released in approx 2 weeks is just a teaser, the car and the track people could try at Gamescom :) Not the final game !"

Arucardo

Posted in case anyone has missed these comments from SimBin staff. News from Jay Ekkel via the RaceRoom forums:

"I have confirmed the following a few times now on several forums. On GamesCom we used a build with the Amateur driving model, which means Stability control and Traction control fully enabled. This is required because 99% of the people visiting our booth believe they are good racers, but they are not. Even on the amateur models they have their hands full!

Although the amateur driving model can still be good fun when pushed to the limit, noone (including simracers) have been able to get even close to the potential laptime of the aquila on that racetrack. If i am not mistaken the top simracers was still 5-6 seconds of a good time wih the gamescom build. The top time set by a simracer was 1.27.xxx where the potential is 1.22.xxx.

Judging the amateur driving model without being able to maximize it's use is impossible.....

Edit:
At this moment of time we do not comment on the status of GTR3 since we want full focus to be on RRR-E. I will say that it is absolute nonsense to think just because a game is not called GTR3 it is suddenly arcade...
"

http://www.raceroom.net/forums/index.php/topic,1932.msg17080.html#msg17080

RaceRoom RE demo from Gamescom due in two weeks. From SimBin's JF Chardon on VirtualR: "Yop yop, just so it's clear, what will be released in approx 2 weeks is just a teaser, the car and the track people could try at Gamescom :) Not the final game !"

Whew, that's good to hear. I was a little worried from reading a few hands-on articles after gamescom. It's been a while since I've played a SimBin game/sim so I'm looking forward to this.

bee

grabbed the th8 shifter for £98 delivered, thought it was a bit steep until it arrived today, its very high quality with an excellent clamp. the H pattern really adds to mods like historix and the power and glory and i use the sequential option for everything else as it feels way better than the t500 paddle shifters which of course don't move. you can even use the neutral axis as a rally style hand brake , not tried this yet tho

setup is finally complete, not buying anything for about a year now, although i may get an occulus rift for xmas :p

th8t2jqm.jpg

Arucardo

New Fanatec drivers and firmware is out: http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8947

Changelog:

Optimized digital pedal input in Xbox mode
Fixed issue with ABS not working at 100
Optimized ABS rumble on lower ABS values
Improved USB input dataflow
Optimized cooling (fan)
Optimized force feedback effects
Optimized performance with telemetry output on Tuning display

Firmware is compatible with:
CSR
CSR Elite
911 GT3 RS V2
911 GT2
911 Turbo S

and the drivers are compatible with all wheels.

I'll have to try these and see if the issues with using PS3 mode on pc is fixed now, it' didn't work with the last beta firmware.

bee

been playing some rfactor 2, really wasn't feeling it at first but its clicked now. croft, clio cup, 3D vision surround and t500/th8 is really quite some combination, never drops from 60fps also.

LOVING the wheel and shifter, got much more used to it now and it really is worth the money imo. the wheel and shifter are in a different league to my old g25 and the pedals are equal to my old modded set of g25 pedals. only thing i don't like is the wheels fan which is tiny and noisy, that'll be getting modded in the future probably although i can't hear it in game as i always play with in ear headphones

1-D_FTW

been playing some rfactor 2, really wasn't feeling it at first but its clicked now. croft, clio cup, 3D vision surround and t500/th8 is really quite some combination, never drops from 60fps also.

LOVING the wheel and shifter, got much more used to it now and it really is worth the money imo. the wheel and shifter are in a different league to my old g25 and the pedals are equal to my old modded set of g25 pedals. only thing i don't like is the wheels fan which is tiny and noisy, that'll be getting modded in the future probably although i can't hear it in game as i always play with in ear headphones

Sounds like a beastly racing rig.

All I can see when I look at your shifter, though, is how perfect it'd be for Daytona USA. Playing that on PS3 with my G27 sucked. Aside from the bad FF, it demanded a metal shifter where you slammed metal through gates if it wanted to replicate that arcade experience. That thing is sexy.

Arucardo

Been using these since yesterday, some subtle improvements over 742B but they really should put some effort into how the wheel behaves in Forza. LFS and rFactor have stopped spazzing out so that's something.

What do you mean about Forza? I've yet to try these myself but if I have the time I'll give them a go this weekend.

There's some deadzone in the force feedback and a centre notch, 737b was probably the best for Forza but it had centering issues and needed recalibrating after every race.

Mascot

There's some deadzone in the force feedback and a centre notch, 737b was probably the best for Forza but it had centering issues and needed recalibrating after every race.
I've never updated the firmware on my GT2. Not even sure what it came with (it's about 14 months old, I think).
Is it worth doing?

Arucardo

I've never updated the firmware on my GT2. Not even sure what it came with (it's about 14 months old, I think).
Is it worth doing?

Also, there's the Forza specific "auto clutch" for making the paddle shifting as fast as a gamepad in manual+clutch. Basically it's just a toggle in the wheel settings that makes every paddle shift automatically press X or whatever the clutch button is.

bee

Sounds like a beastly racing rig.

670 sli oc'd, handles its quite nicely with aa on 3 or 4 in 3D surround, vram usage is like 1900mb and gpu usage shoots to 99 for both from about 60 in 2d surround

i've had the experience of playing a sim in 3D surround before (iracing) and the extra immersion you get is really great (hope occulus rift will further this). playing clio cup races in this mode on rfactor 2 it feels like a real simulator and is so much fun. actually ran a clio 182 on a track day and drove a friends a long time ago, its VERY close to the real feel, the ffb when its skipping across the road under high cornering speed is spot on. it may look like shit bar the car models but i'm very impressed with rfactor 2 so far and of course if its anything like it predecessor all the good content will come from the modders anyway

TJP

Anyone else here experience Race '07 upgrade thanks to Valve? SimBin weren't made aware that Gabe and Co. were going to change where Steam now stores Race/GTR EVo files and pushed out an update that clearly wasn't very well tested.

For reference:

http://www.raceroom.net/forums/index.php/topic,1958.0.html

Jay Ekkel of SimBin: "we did what...? We definatly did not screw anyone, and your assumption is a bit harsh to say the least. As mentioned in our own forums and as was mentioned in the other thread here on RD. This was a change from Steam's side of which we were not informed, we were as suprised as everybody else that the game out of nowhere didn't function anymore! " - http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/steam-race-07-on-gtr-evo-changes-on-01-09-12.55329/

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/race-07-steam-change.55330/

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1618713

FWIW: The conversion didn't work so I deleted everything SimBin related (as I had made backups), then let Steam download the new version of Race 07 and reinstalled all of the Race 07 DLC plus the 2 expansions. Thanks to Steam, one can only select to run Race 07 as all the other game shortcuts no longer work however all of the DLC and expansions work fine in-game.

There is another way to avoid having Steam screw up all the mods and skins collected and you'll find this in the first link supplied.

Top Bottom