• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

It's pretty fun in a basic kind of way.

It's hard to really say much about the handling since it's locked on amateur mode, and honestly that's how it feels. Brake late, point and shoot. It's still kind of fun though. Terrific layout on the included fantasy track. Looks good, and sounds good too.

I'll look forward to when they take the training wheels off.

*puts on flame suit*

How does the handling/physics compare to pCARS?

It's hard to say what's underneath the thick coat of driver aids. Right now, all the car can do is run wide. It won't misbehave at all. There's no pedal modulation needed. It's all about carrying speed on a line.

Piggus

New Fanatec drivers and firmware is out: http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8947

Changelog:

Firmware is compatible with:
CSR
CSR Elite
911 GT3 RS V2
911 GT2
911 Turbo S

and the drivers are compatible with all wheels.

I'll have to try these and see if the issues with using PS3 mode on pc is fixed now, it' didn't work with the last beta firmware.

FINALLY. Jesus. The last firmware I tried for my GT3 RS all but broke support in GT5 and pCARS. And it took me about an hour just to find a stupid download link in the first place because the original had expired.

The track in RRE is fun but the driving aids mess me up more than they help me.

What´s your times? I´m at 1.27 something after playing an hour or so.

1-D_FTW

It'll be interesting to see if casuals even download it. Seems like they're trying to expand into a market (that doesn't really exist), while simply alienating the market that does.

I realize they'll be a build where it's eventually turned off, but most people give something one impression and then move on. To not allow people to disable it immediately seems like a major mistake.

Darkdeus

*puts on flame suit*

How does the handling/physics compare to pCARS?

It feels better in some ways but that's probably because a lot of the cars in pcars feel really poor now and won't improve until the new tire model is released. The Caterham Superlight R500 really is the only car in pcars which feels decent to me at this point.

I think it's really pointless to even have so much discussion about the physics in pcars though because they obviously have such a long way to go and things will change a lot, hopefully for the better, when the new tire model and dynamics physics system is released. Even then it's going to take a lot of time to tweak the physics. Remember rfactor 2 has been in development 3 years, GSC 2012 over 2 years for most cars etc. Pcars has only been in development for 10 months or so.

RRE feels.... pretty fantastic to me. I'm slightly concerned that they say it's only TC and ABS on though... it feels like there is some stability control going on too. But it's quite clear that the underlying physics are superb.

And having just tried Build 296 of PCARS, I have to agree. The physics still feel odd, and there is still an aspect of Shift about them. Obviously it's far more realistic, but there is a particular way that it loses grip and then almost goes into an automatic drift that is something I have only ever felt in Shift. The low speed FFB is really nice now though.

TJP

Expect a fix soon Dilly - SimBin are aware of the issues and have stated they'll be fixing them ASAP.

amar212

Is it me or are both tracks a lot wider than the real tracks, at least in some places?

TBH I think it is only FOV, that overhead cam distort FOV to wide extent.

I just took look to similar TV FOV videos and it looks fairly accurate.

It was always accurate from the "cockpit" view, I really love the new cockpit cam for F12012 which will finally allow us to see something of the track.

At Monza he uses too much curbs, happens in all sims but it's still disturbing.

I agree. Curbs should be much more slippery. Dat playability.

Arucardo

TBH I think it is only FOV, that overhead cam distort FOV to wide extent.

I just took look to similar TV FOV videos and it looks fairly accurate.

It was always accurate from the "cockpit" view, I really love the new cockpit cam for F12012 which will finally allow us to see something of the track.

Yeah, right after posting that I started thinking whether it's the camera angle or fov.

I'm leaning more to nKP, the laser scanned tracks of FVA sound cool though.

Going to pick up now, it seems FVA has no real support for mods either. Cheers mclaren.

TJP

nKP gives you access to the Assetto Corsa tech demo too. One other benefit is the community has created a lot of tracks for nKP. FVA is awesome too.

Both are great sims so buy both and support Kunos.

Bought NKP but some cars (Fiat 500, F1600) are causing all sorts of problems. The Osella and Vintage GT work fine. Updated GPU drivers but it did no good, I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

qYOK1l.jpg

edit: just a driver problem. fixed.

Really impressed with nKP. Downloaded a dozen tracks so far and having blast.

Few quick questions - on LFS I can set the wheel rotation on a per car basis but can only find a global setting in nK's options, have I missed anything or is there an .ini tweak to set it?

I'm using a Fanatec and setting the rotation on the wheel as well as ingame, would leaving it at 'off' work better? Also is there any FanaLEDs support?

Thanks

mclaren777

There is now a 30-day demo for Game Stock Car 2012.

Included Cars
• Stock Car V8
• Mini Challenge
• Camaro SS
• Formula 3

Included Tracks
• Jacarepagua
• Tarumã

I also wanted to mention that the Formula Two cars for rFactor 2 are now available in case you never visit this thread.

ibzDUT7jXGrJcu.jpg

TJP

So, do we know enough yet to consider if WRC3 is a "sim" or not?
From what I understand from the demo and watching the Team VVV videos, WRC 3 is not a replacement for RBR but it's a hell of a lot more realistic than Dirt. A new version of Rallisport Challenge? FWIW, I'd liken WRC 3 to F1 2012 - far removed from arcade-y physics but not a 'hardcore' simulation and with a lot less bugs.

Shaneus

Yeah, I think I mentioned it somewhere else (FS maybe) but WRC3 just reeks of the driving model and aesthetics of Rallisport 2. If MS bought Milestone out and slapped a new splash screen on it, I would have thought it to be RSC3, no question.

Something a little bit simmier than Dirt without all the "bro" aesthetics would be a godsend. The front-end doesn't need to be full of flashy 3D TV-esque presentation, it just needs to be serviceable. And the demo definitely did that. Just get me racing as quickly as possible, without all these unfolding triangles and navigating around a caravan and I'll be happy.

Doesn't hurt that the game is actually shaping up to look alright, too.

Best idea IMO would be to get it on PC and hope that the game isn't so locked down that it prevents modders doing anything with it.

I think I'll volunteer to do the OT for it as well if no-one else puts their hands up... and make sure it mentions RSC2 in the title ;) What's the limit on how early OTs can be created?

TJP

Best idea IMO would be to get it on PC and hope that the game isn't so locked down that it prevents modders doing anything with it.
Absolutely - the PC version will have the best visuals by miles, be cheaper and there will be mods as they exist for WRC 2010 and WRC 2.

mclaren777

Can I even remotely guess which new seat you are going for? :)

None, actually. I sold all of the Fanatec stuff I reviewed because they never contacted me to return it (which was my original plan) so I made about $150 profit and now all I have left is the stand.

Arucardo

None, actually. I sold all of the Fanatec stuff I reviewed because they never contacted me to return it (which was my original plan) so I made about $150 profit and now all I have left is the stand.

What are you using now then? Have/getting a T500?

Got my CSR Elite pedals today, very pleased with them. The difference a load cell brake makes is amazing. Need to get used to braking a little later since I'm used to much more travel on the brake pedal. Works wonders for consistency too.

Branson

I really enjoyed game stock car 2012. I was going to buy it when I have enough time to play it, but I really enjoyed what they have going on with it, even if I had no idea the series existed. You can tell its deeply rooted in rfactor1 though.

Top Bottom