• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

At 2:06 in this video, they seem to be using a cockpit view without a visible steering wheel in RaceRoom Racing Experience. I don't seem to be able to find an option to remove the wheel in the teaser... despite Diego saying that they were using the teaser build at the show...

mclaren777

Sounds like the 45-mile Targa Florio might be coming to rF2 if enough people help out.

ISI Forums

ib0NlBlqF0QCsT.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
/$?$%?//$%/$%/$%/$% Fanatec wheel...ARGHHH

So I bought a Fanatec CSR this summer. Took a month to receive it up here in Canada. I start playing with it, I notice that the wheel always looses its center.

So, for example, if I go in the driver screen in windows. I center the rim (from now on when I say rim I'm talking about the physical steering in my hands) and press the two lower button to calibrate to center. The driver will show 0. So far so good. If I move the rim from left to right to full lock and then bring it back to center the driver will now say a number between 3 and 8. So...just by going from lock to lock it completly looses it's center.

I can even see it in game too. For example every time I come out of a corner the center won't be at the exact same spot. Also, sometimes, while I'm holding the rim at an angle during a corner the ingame wheel will suddenly center itsef...mid-corner!

I contacted Fanatec support. They said it was one of the censor that was defect and they would send me a new one so I can switch it myself (without voiding the warranty). Obviously, it took another month for the replacement part to get here....guess what? Still doesn't fix the problem... ARGHHHHH

I'm so pissed right now. I'll send them another mail. It will probably take them a week to reply and then they'll probably ask me to send the wheel back (which is a real hastle just by itself since I don't have a car to get back to the post office which is quite far from here). Then it will probably take a month for them to receive my wheel and another month to send me a new one....sigh

I'm so tired of this crap... Sometimes I just want to get a refund and buy a G25. I still prefer the CSR over it (feature wise) but at least I would get something that works without all the frustrations.

/$?$%?//$%/$%/$%/$% Fanatec wheel...ARGHHH

So I bought a Fanatec CSR this summer. Took a month to receive it up here in Canada. I start playing with it, I notice that the wheel always looses its center.

I'm so tired of this crap... Sometimes I just want to get a refund and buy a G25. I still prefer the CSR over it (feature wise) but at least I would get something that works without all the frustrations.

Have you tried updating the firmware? I had similar problems with the older ones but 742b and the latest seems to have fixed it.

Megasoum

Banned
I own a GT2 and been through a similar situation. Ended up 'downgrading' to a G27 and I haven't looked back.

Yeah...I guess whaT's pissing me off about that too is that, while I have a bunch of great simulation games on PC right now, the game I'm actually waiting for right now is Forza Horizon. I could obviously play it with a pad without too much issues but it would be nice to play it with the wheel. I can,t do that with the G25 obviously.

Edit: Wow..and the g27 is really expensive for what you actually get.

mclaren777

[Forza Horizons] would be nice to play it with the wheel.

I played it at PAX and I actually think it would be worse with a wheel. It's very arcadey even with the assists turned off.

Edit: Wow..and the g27 is really expensive for what you actually get.

How so? It's cheaper than CSW pedals (or the BMW rim) and it even includes a shifter. Does Canada have a massive markup or something?

TJP

I'm surprised no-one has posted the Thrustmaster T500 wheel as an alternative as it appears to be on-par with the Fanatec wheels based on reviews.

1-D_FTW

I've had no issues with my T500, feels fantastic. With the recent GT5 update feels really good too.

You're not the only gaffer who's spoken highly of it.

Seems like it's a nice alternative. Maybe it's just misinformation, but it really does seem like Fanatec is the least reliable of the big 3 brands. And if I was in the market for a premium product to replace my G27, I think the Thrustmaster is probably the direction I'd go for that very reason.

Ideally, though, I'd love for Logitech to release a premium wheel in the future.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm not even sure where I could buy the T500 in Canada... The only one I find is on NCIX.com but it's the package with the Ferrari F1 Wheel for 750$....yeah.....not gonna happen.

I like Fanatec gear but it does seem like they are prone to problems, only had one hardware fault (the H shifter) and they were as easy to deal with as Logitech. The drivers and firmware are a bit of a mess, on par with the bad days of ATI.

If it wasn't for the Xbox compatibility I'd have probably bought a T500 by now.

Veal

I've decided that I'd like to take my digital driving experience to the next level. I enjoy playing these games with a controller, but using a wheel appeals to me greatly. I haven't used a wheel since the N64 era, so naturally I have some questions:

1.) Is the G27 still a generally recommended wheel or are there others for about the same price with the same and/or better features? How is the support in emulation? More specifically, Outrun C2C 2006 (PC version), Outrunners, and Daytona USA?

2.) I like Dirt 2 quite a bit and I really want Dirt 3. The best deal I saw was the UK only Complete Edition. Would I run into trouble if I imported that version and tried to play it in the US?

Thanks everyone for the awesome thread!

G27 is probably the best for the money, you could end up paying 2-3x as much for an alternative. There's also the DFGT but the lack of H shifter and clutch goes against it.

Mame doesn't support ffb iirc but the Sega Model 2/3 emulators do, Wasn't that impressed by the effect but it works. Outrun C2C again was a bit of a letdown, played better with a controller.

1-D_FTW

I've decided that I'd like to take my digital driving experience to the next level. I enjoy playing these games with a controller, but using a wheel appeals to me greatly. I haven't used a wheel since the N64 era, so naturally I have some questions:

1.) Is the G27 still a generally recommended wheel or are there others for about the same price with the same and/or better features? How is the support in emulation? More specifically, Outrun C2C 2006 (PC version), Outrunners, and Daytona USA?

2.) I like Dirt 2 quite a bit and I really want Dirt 3. The best deal I saw was the UK only Complete Edition. Would I run into trouble if I imported that version and tried to play it in the US?

Thanks everyone for the awesome thread!

G27 can often be found for a little over 200 dollars. For price/performance, it's a hard combo to be.

Don't really play emulation. I do have Outrun in my Steam account and can tell you it doesn't support wheel play. Or if it does, it doesn't support FFB. It's one of those games you pretty much need to use a 360 controller. Sonic and Sega is another Sega game that's a no go for wheel support. Sega Rally does support it well, but you're better off going with Dirt 2/3 at this point.

As for the second part, Dirt 2 and 3 often go on sale for cheap on Steam. If you can't wait, you might be able to find Dirt 3 Steam codes for cheap in the trading thread. Dirt 3 is kind of an inside joke on gaf since it's been offered for free on so many occasions and some gaffers have horded them (plus it's given away with AMD cards). A Steam code is pretty much valid anywhere. Since it's GFWL, though, I'm not sure if region restrictions apply if you buy boxed retail.

Megasoum

Banned
And I would add that if you already have Dirt 2 I wouldn't bother with Dirt 3... D2 is, by far, superior to D3.

G27 is probably the best for the money, you could end up paying 2-3x as much for an alternative. There's also the DFGT but the lack of H shifter and clutch goes against it.

Oh right, I forgot about the DFGT... How's the wheel itself exactly? The thing is I don't really use H Shifters but I love my fanatec sequential so the lack of H is not really a problem for me. I also have clubsport pedals so I don't really care for the cheapo (and clutch less) pedals that comes with the DFGT. So...how's the wheel itself and the built-in sequential?

1-D_FTW

And I would add that if you already have Dirt 2 I wouldn't bother with Dirt 3... D2 is, by far, superior to D3.

This is also true. If you don't game in 3D (which is much better in 3), there's literally nothing about 3 that can touch 2. Dirt 3 is like the music album that features a bunch of b-side tracks that couldn't make the cut for their last album.

Veal

Wow thanks for the quick responses! Didn't realize Dirt 3 was that much of a downgrade from 2. Guess I'll wait till a sale or something.

I guess it disappoints me that Outrun doesn't support force feedback, but I'll live. I just need some Outrun in my life! (thinking about it, Outrun 2 is the only game I've triple-dipped on!)

Piggus

Mame doesn't support ffb iirc but the Sega Model 2/3 emulators do, Wasn't that impressed by the effect but it works. Outrun C2C again was a bit of a letdown, played better with a controller.

For the same price as the G27 I bought a Fanatec GT3 RS V2 with CSR pedals and two shifters (H-pattern and sequential). It's belt-driven (smoother than the G27's gear-driven system), larger than the G27, and overall just feels a lot more realistic imo. The driver support is lacking a bit but it's silly to say that there are no alternatives to the G27 in the same price range.

Megasoum

Banned
For the same price as the G27 I bought a Fanatec GT3 RS V2 with CSR pedals and two shifters (H-pattern and sequential). It's belt-driven (smoother than the G27's gear-driven system), larger than the G27, and overall just feels a lot more realistic imo. The driver support is lacking a bit but it's silly to say that there are no alternatives to the G27 in the same price range.

I agree with you but at the same time I've had Fanatec wheels for the last 3 years now (bough a PWTS before FM3 came out and now got a CSR) and I've had a TON of issues with them. Had to return and repair a ton of stuff.

Sure there's people who buy Fanatec products and never have issues and in that case, I agree, the quality/price ratio is unbeatable. But, if you are like many people and have issues with the hardware then you have to go down the hellhole that is Fanatec Support and INCREDIBLY slow shipping. It takes me a month to receive anything from them. No matter if it's a whole wheel or if it's a 2$ sensor that could fit in a small bubble enveloppe, it will still take a month to receive it. I live in Montreal, it's not like I'm in the middle of the artic circle lol.

amar212

Ideally, though, I'd love for Logitech to release a premium wheel in the future.

Logitech has bailed out from any wheel-related development early as 2010 so I wouldn't count on anything regarding Logitech wheels for some time in the future..

Piggus

I agree with you but at the same time I've had Fanatec wheels for the last 3 years now (bough a PWTS before FM3 came out and now got a CSR) and I've had a TON of issues with them. Had to return and repair a ton of stuff.

Sure there's people who buy Fanatec products and never have issues and in that case, I agree, the quality/price ratio is unbeatable. But, if you are like many people and have issues with the hardware then you have to go down the hellhole that is Fanatec Support and INCREDIBLY slow shipping. I takes me a month to receive anything from them. No matter if it's a whole wheel or if it's a 2$ sensor that could fit in a small bubble enveloppe, it will still take a month to receive it. I live in Montreal, it's not like I'm in the middle of the artic circle lol.

Yeah, I have to admit that the "when will this thing break" thing is sometimes in the back of my mind. :p No problems yet though.

Megasoum

Banned
Logitech has bailed out from any wheel-related development early as 2010 so I wouldn't count on anything regarding Logitech wheels for some time in the future..

Wasn't aware of this:(

Wasn't aware of that, sucks.

Yeah, same with Microsoft. Everybody is bailing out of specialized hardware... That sucks. That's why we need to go to more specialized hardware manufacturer (like Fanatec) which of course means they can sell that stuff for whatever they want. If there was some real competition then the prices would go down.

The market is just not big enough for that.

paskowitz

Yeah, same with Microsoft. Everybody is bailing out of specialized hardware... That sucks. That's why we need to go to more specialized hardware manufacturer (like Fanatec) which of course means they can sell that stuff for whatever they want. If there was some real competition then the prices would go down.

The market is just not big enough for that.

Good news for Fanatec and Thrustmaster though.

Business

Now that we are at it, I just got this done yesterday. It's a G27 mod with custom rim (320mm OMP) and custom shift paddles. This wheel in particular came with a couple of buttons which I used on the G27 board.

mrIwC.jpg

PAhwR.jpg

Arucardo

Can you still reach the paddle shifters with that? I guess you can since they're custom paddles, they just look like they're pretty far away from those pictures. Nice wheel though!

Shaneus

Wow, that actually looks pretty neat. Expensive? DIY kit or had the whole thing done by someone else?

I wouldn't mind something like that. But I'd have to get the LEDs converted or something as well. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to get a modified row of full-size LEDs that would fit on it.

Three60

I plan on doing the exact same mod, maybe slightly bigger 345mm MOMO suede wheel, hope it turns out to be good :)

+ I see you rockin Rinoseat GTR, me too, high five bro :D

1-D_FTW

I was looking around to see the internals of something like the Frex wheel (to see just how possible it would be for someone like John Henry (iracing) to start an open source kickstarter on a new wheel).

And I came across the Frex SimConMotion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HbtSnlOqNB4

Motion simulators have been discussed before, but I always assumed they ran a good 50,000 or so. From what I can tell, that things about 2500 dollars.

Clearly that's still a ton of money, but it's certainly obtainable enough for the more dedicated.

Business

Can you still reach the paddle shifters with that? I guess you can since they're custom paddles, they just look like they're pretty far away from those pictures. Nice wheel though!

The paddle shifters are further away but still reachable. If they were a bit closer it wouldn't hurt but it's still ok.

Wow, that actually looks pretty neat. Expensive? DIY kit or had the whole thing done by someone else?

I wouldn't mind something like that. But I'd have to get the LEDs converted or something as well. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to get a modified row of full-size LEDs that would fit on it.

Yes you don't wanna look at the price when you do something like that ;). No seriously, the wheel rim is like 120 EUR. You can go for cheaper ones or much more expensive ones, I went for this one (besides looks and size) because it had buttons and I thought it would be useful. The adapter and the custom paddles I bought them for 40 something USD if I remember well from Derek Speare Designs. For the wiring I already had the necessary elements.

I plan on doing the exact same mod, maybe slightly bigger 345mm MOMO suede wheel, hope it turns out to be good :)

I find 320mm already big, but it might just be because I was used to the G27 / GT2. Good luck with the mod :)
Yep it's a Rinoseat GTR, works just fine, not a bad cockpit solution at all. Worst customer service ever though, it was a nightmare to get it delivered.

Arucardo

Beware though, the bigger the rim is the weaker the ffb gets and if you add more ffb in-game and in the drivers you'll start getting ffb clipping.

EDIT: Oh god, decided to copy over my rFactor install from the other pc and it's now 27,8Gb gonna take a while to transfer over LAN.

Top Bottom