• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

Is anybody interested in buying my RennSport Wheel Stand V2 for $80 (you pay shipping)?

Fanatec Website

ib0uz9MGTQIO8z.jpg

I didn't get any response in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread so I listed it on eBay for $70. Perhaps you could still get lucky.

Link

TJP

Does GSC feature a game as such, career mode or something?
No it doesn't but one can download a season event creator from Race Department and you can create your own race series using any one of the cars available. Race Department have a hot lapping server and leaderboard on their website too.

Drove the Mini, Stock Car and Formula Reiza around the Nurburgring; it is as expected - fantastic!

Shaneus

Can you tell how accurate the 'ring is? I know a lot of people tend to be quite anal about that.

And is it connected to the GP circuit?

Pretty sure it's the same track from r-factor (ported to netkar too) and its really good, if so yeah you start on the GP circuit.

Million times better/harder/scarier than something like Forza's.

Shaneus

Awesome. I really don't need another sim, but I think I'm sold.

And if it IS using the older rF tech (it's based on the rF1 engine, yeah?) then there's every chance that I might be able to run it in 3D effectively at 60fps on my plasma w/ surround setup.

That should be glorious.

Megasoum

Banned
Awesome. I really don't need another sim, but I think I'm sold.

And if it IS using the older rF tech (it's based on the rF1 engine, yeah?) then there's every chance that I might be able to run it in 3D effectively at 60fps on my plasma w/ surround setup.

That should be glorious.

Yeah it's basically a standalone rf1 mod.

Now if only I had a working steering wheel to play....arghhh curse you Fanatec!

TJP

Can you tell how accurate the 'ring is? I know a lot of people tend to be quite anal about that.

And is it connected to the GP circuit?
FFS Shaneus, please tell me this is a joke post!

For $20 USD, GSC gives you a fantastic series of virtually unseen and unknown Brazilian tracks, awesome FFB and physics, an outstanding V8 powered "stock car", 3 fantastic Formula class cars (one F3 and 2 F1 cars), the best version of a 2011 Camaro SS in any sim, a Mini that is as close to perfect as humanly possible (check BSimracing or VirtualR for game vs reality telemetry analysis) and your hung up on whether the add-on Nurburgring is accurate?!?

I'll tell you this much: the Nurburgring was completely re-done for GSC, Reiza Studios gave it their blessing and if you know anything about their rFactor mods that means a lot. Currently there are two different layouts: the 'Tourist Short' version at 19.914 km's and the 'Tourist' version at 20.832 km's which features the Steilstrecke with 3 more layouts due to be released in the future, those being the VLN 2005, VLN 2007 and Nürburgring 24 Hour layouts.

If anyone reading this still has doubts; download the 30 day trial and give GSC a go. Better still, pay the measly $20 and support a quality developer who doesn't fuck over its customers by holding back content for DLC packs or release bug riddled games for their customers to beta test for them.

Shawsie64

Banned
I bought GSC a few months back and it is indeed awesome. I'll have to try the ring.. Should really play it more but i'm happy I supported them as they seem like a great team!

Shaneus

FFS Shaneus, please tell me this is a joke post!
Yeah, it was ;)

Well, it wasn't... but it was more out of curiosity. When I was referring to "a lot of people" I wasn't talking about myself! I've had no problem with the 'ring in either Forza, GT5 or PGR4.

That'd be my next wish... for someone to somehow port/remake the Michelin Test Track in PGR4 for a PC sim.

And that open-wheeler 'ring video that was posted before... holy shit! Is that a default FOV or was it tweaked to the nth degree? Also, I have to get that extra display thing... do you know what it is? I don't imagine it'd be too pricey.

TJP

Is GSC driveable with a 360 pad? I mean not only theoretically, but if it feels good.
Yes it is - Reiza have profiles for just about every control device ever invented and one can customise the controls to suit personal preferences.

Yeah, it was ;)

Well, it wasn't... but it was more out of curiosity. When I was referring to "a lot of people" I wasn't talking about myself! I've had no problem with the 'ring in either Forza, GT5 or PGR4.
The Nurburgring for GSC looks like a better version (more track side details, lots of graffiti on the road) than SimBin's version of the same track. I'm not surprised you've no issue with Forza and PGR's rendition of the 'ring as they are virtually the same. I'm pretty certain Turn10 used BC's assets.

That'd be my next wish... for someone to somehow port/remake the Michelin Test Track in PGR4 for a PC sim.
Great suggestion. I've seen many NFS: Shift 1 & 2 tracks in SimBin games and lots of various tracks ported to netKar Pro so it could be done, just need a talented modder to do so. I'd love to have a HD remake of PGR 2 on console or PC and PGR 4 available on PC too. It'll never happen as MS are dicks. God damn I miss Bizarre Creations 8(

Shaneus

The Nurburgring for GSC looks like a better version (more track side details, lots of graffiti on the road) than SimBin's version of the same track. I'm not surprised you've no issue with Forza and PGR's rendition of the 'ring as they are virtually the same. I'm pretty certain Turn10 used BC's assets.
Oh, I more meant that I'm not generally upset with inaccuracies for particular tracks... unless they're massive. As long as the track is fun to drive and relatively close to the original.

Great suggestion. I've seen many NFS: Shift 1 & 2 tracks in SimBin games and lots of various tracks ported to netKar Pro so it could be done, just need a talented modder to do so. I'd love to have a HD remake of PGR 2 on console or PC and PGR 4 available on PC too. It'll never happen as MS are dicks. God damn I miss Bizarre Creations 8(
Man, I'd fucking kill for a HD PGR2 port. Wouldn't be too hard either, I'd imagine. Just up-res as many textures as possible, render at 1080p (60fps, obv) and keep the online component identical to how it was. Guaranteed best-seller.

MS own the IP too, it strikes me as odd they don't get Playground to do something like that.

TJP

Man, I'd fucking kill for a HD PGR2 port. Wouldn't be too hard either, I'd imagine. Just up-res as many textures as possible, render at 1080p (60fps, obv) and keep the online component identical to how it was. Guaranteed best-seller.

MS own the IP too, it strikes me as odd they don't get Playground to do something like that.
Just before the gaping arseholes at Lackofvision shut down Bizarre Creations, I posted on their forums that I'd love to see a HD remake of PGR 2 which was met with "we'd love to but..." responses. I'm sure it crossed the mind of Martyn Chudley on more than one occasion. One can only wonder what might have been if (a) MS had either bought Bizarre or supported their games more and (b) if Lackofvision had secured the F1 rights instead of Codemasters like rumours suggest they were trying to do.

Looking to sign up for this beta. What username and password are they looking for? My steam account? Or am I creating one? Seems dodgy if they're asking for steam details...

markao

Looking to sign up for this beta. What username and password are they looking for? My steam account? Or am I creating one? Seems dodgy if they're asking for steam details...

Asked Jean Francois (SB) and it is:

Fair question. I think the form is not clear enough.

It's username and password for later, to access the closed beta forum.

Will solve this in the morning.

TJP

Thanks! But they want dxdiag stuff as well as an unusual amount of personal information (address? really?) so I'll hold off at least until I get home :)
I gave SimBin all of that information plus a signed NDA; I've seen no sign of the Swedish Mafia as yet 8) Use your work address if you are really concerned about privacy.

Megasoum

Banned
Still no reply from Fanatec support, I sent the mail on friday last week.

Sigh, I'm so tired of the terrible support and the 3-4 week turnaround everytime they ship something to you.

It's been over two months now since I paid for my CSR wheel and I still can't use it.

Just a thought, have you tried disabling the damper setting on the wheel? fighting the weight can can cause belt slippage, I don't know if it has any effect on the sensor though.

Did it always lose the centre or something that happened after a while?

Can't remember if I suggested it before but if you have a can of compressed air try giving the internals a good clean out, secure the fan and blow through a vent.

1-D_FTW

I didn't read. Lol. I thought it was just the wheel and all of the NASCAR Papyrus sims. I see where the price comes from now but yeesh.

Even so, it's kind of funny how he mentions what a great wheel the G27 is and you'd have to pay 3X as much to move into the next bracket of wheels.

Then proceeds to sell it for 3X the going price of the G27. Mods or not, I can't help but feel a person could spend their money a lot better.

Megasoum

Banned
Did it always lose the centre or something that happened after a while?

Can't remember if I suggested it before but if you have a can of compressed air try giving the internals a good clean out, secure the fan and blow through a vent.

It was like that out of the box. I first opened a ticket with support and they sent me a new sensor that I could replace myself. I did that and it didn't change anything...

I'll try to clean it again tonight to see if it helps, who knows.

Shaneus

How far off is that Senna game Reiza is/was working on? I'm going to look it up anyway, but may spark some discussion in this thread :)

1-D_FTW

And now I remember why I haven't loaded iracing up in so long. As someone who rarely races online, I just think rFactor 2 is the superior racing game. Call me insane if you must.

Top Bottom