• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

FFB confuses the hell out of me on PC for the same reason - separately tweaking two layers of settings.

And considering there aren't that many different types of wheel, you'd think eg logitech G25/27/DFGT would have good FFB settings set from within the game. I don't know why such an important aspect seemingly gets left to people to work out and then communicate via forums etc.
Never mind the fact that the wheel software hasn't been updated for three fucking years :/

Bulk_Rate

Which of these games can be played with an xbox controller without too much issue?
Can't really justify a wheel purchase right now :/

I am playing GTL, PnG, GTR2, Rfactor (mainly DRM 2.0) with 360 controller. Pretty much the same settings for all of the games. I configured the buttons to Forza 4 default layout (left stick to steer, right stick for freelook, triggers for brake/accel) since that was what my brain was used to.

I set steering sensitivity to 0, Speed sensitivity to about 60, and then most importantly crank the steering lock ratio down to 8-13 depending on the car.

With these settings I am able to enjoy all of the above sims without feeling that I am battling the controls at all.

I have an old school MOMO Force (the red one w/ leather wrapped wheel) which I can't bear to part with, but I dont use it with my current desk setup.

TJP

More MotoGP '13 pictures:

919585_337880409671781_738029463_o.jpg

468699_337880419671780_141072417_o.jpg

The full set of pictures here

Shaneus

That's looking... good! I don't think I'll get it on release (unless TJP thinks it's *absolutely* worth it) but it looks like a must buy come the next big GMG sale.

Megasoum

Banned
Was anybody able to install the KinectIR thing from TocaEdit to use the Kinect as a head tracking device?

I finally got my hands on a kinect and now I want to install the tool but I get an error saying that OpenNI.dll is missing when I try to run it. I ran the installer included and also tried the setups taken directly from the OpenNI website but I can't get it to work. Any idea on how to fix that?

TJP

You ordered it right? You should write up some impressions when it releases. Maybe compare it to 08 and SBK Gens.
No I have not ordered MotoGP 13 - it's not that I haven't wanted to but I got stung by Milestone's 'lets release a patch for WRC 3 in a decades time' fiasco. Milestone's post release support, be it console or PC, is laughable. I'm also waiting for a sale as I don't know if the PC version will receive the DLC that the console versions will have.

That's looking... good! I don't think I'll get it on release (unless TJP thinks it's *absolutely* worth it) but it looks like a must buy come the next big GMG sale.
Spot on Shaneus.

Angst

I'm part of the beta but haven't updated in over a year.

What cars and tracks are available now? I tried looking at the pcars web but it has no info about tracks or cars.

Edit - found the info in the WMD forums, I didn't realize I had to be logged in to access them.

TJP

For the fans of Reiza studios: http://www.bsimracing.com/reiza-studios-announcements-and-updates

Reiza Quote: "We have been getting a lot of requests for a development update on the Ayrton Senna project. It´s been quite a while since our announcement of the license so we figure it´s time for some news. What we can say is that we are still developing the game. This is a very ambitious project, which has grown even bigger in scope relative to our original plans. This in turn implicates big challenges from development and licensing perspectives, which as a consequence reflects on the budget required - we are working hard and making slow but steady progress on all these fronts.

This might be a little vague but it´s the best we can offer at this moment. We hope that towards the end of the year we´ll have some more specific news to share. With this said we do have further interesting news in store for 2013, which we´ll talk about next.

We are working hard to improve our Tupi project, which englobes both Game Stock Car, Formula Truck plus other related content. Work is being done on every dev front to push the envelope and improve the whole experience to a new level.

Though we cannot confirm a date just yet, all these base improvements will be made into a 2013 season release for Formula Truck, which will also include some extra tracks. Like GSC2012 last year, this will be free to all owners of the original Formula Truck.

These developments and more will likely also find their way into a new GSC - though we have not yet defined the format of this new package yet. We can advance that this won´t be a free update to current GSC.

We have a lot of new exciting content coming up. This includes a very *big* historical track, to go along some very interesting historical cars...

We have some smaller things included in this package as well, though not any less exciting :)

We are very much looking foward to share more on the new stuff soon, and while the focus for these 2013 releases are still very much grounded on the brazilian racing scene, we have no doubts that every simracer will be able to find something to be thrilled with them"

Shaneus

Man, Reiza are just awesome. So should I buy Formula Truck now so I keep whatever's in there now along with any additional content for 2013?

I'm glad to hear they're still working on the Senna project and haven't just dropped it for whatever reason. Big relief.

Megasoum

Banned
Now...I know this is not a PC sim but I've finally started playing GT5 recently and ended up in the craziest photo finish I've ever seen lol....

I was driving that disgusting piece of machinery (the one in front near the camera)... I was second on the last turn and ended up winning haha...crazy.

amar212

Mazda Autozam is far the best Premium GT5 model. Monte Carlo 20 lap races on Comfort Soft, low drag, fast tyre and fuel wear and are most magnificent MP races that can happen in GT5.

Shaneus

I don't know if it's still on sale or not, but GMG had a midweek thing for WRC3 that made it under $10 (I think). I would've been tempted to get it on there, but all the stuff I buy on GMG that isn't Steamworks I never play. And I'm not sure there's that much difference from buying it on there or the disc copy I have.

Unfortunately, the sale is on all games by that publisher, but doesn't at all cover the new SBK or MotoGP or whatever game. Covers the old ones though, if anyone was interested.

TJP

Unfortunately, the sale is on all games by that publisher, but doesn't at all cover the new SBK or MotoGP or whatever game. Covers the old ones though, if anyone was interested.
It better not include the new MotoGP game as I just bought it! I hope Milestone make something as great as SBK 2001!

Watevaman

It better not include the new MotoGP game as I just bought it! I hope Milestone make something as great as SBK 2001!

No I have not ordered MotoGP 13 - it's not that I haven't wanted to but I got stung by Milestone's 'lets release a patch for WRC 3 in a decades time' fiasco. Milestone's post release support, be it console or PC, is laughable. I'm also waiting for a sale as I don't know if the PC version will receive the DLC that the console versions will have.

Spot on Shaneus.

lol

Zeth

I've spent like 100+ hours playing F1 2012 recently. But I was told that it's crap, and that 2011+2010 are superior. Is this true? If so, I definitely need to get them ASAP.

TJP

Has there been any news on GTR 3?
If you play RaceRoom-RE then you're essentially playing GTR 3 unless the SimBin CEO (KW Suspensions founder Klaus Wohlfarth) changes his mind about the free-to-play model. A lot of time and effort is being poured into RR-RE by the small team at SimBin.

For someone who enjoyed Dirt 3 but thought the driving model was a little frustrating near the end because of the unpredictability would Grid 2 be a good idea?

1-D_FTW

I would ask that in the Grid 2 thread. I'm sure the vast majority of people who've played Grid 2 have played Dirt and can give you solid answers. I'm not sure anyone has touched Grid 2 in this thread. I know I have zero interest in it. And I actually like Dirt 2/3.

Shaneus

For someone who enjoyed Dirt 3 but thought the driving model was a little frustrating near the end because of the unpredictability would Grid 2 be a good idea?

I'm not sure... I'm just basing my opinion on what Codies have done with the F1 franchise. And by most accounts, GRID 2 is closer to Ridge Racer Unbounded than anything even remotely resembling a sim. Hell, I have a feeling even NFS Most Wanted/Hot Pursuit are probably more realistic.

You can't turn off any assists, for example. At all.

I only asked here because I was looking for like minded people who are into sim racing and what they think of Grid 2.

I'm not sure... I'm just basing my opinion on what Codies have done with the F1 franchise. And by most accounts, GRID 2 is closer to Ridge Racer Unbounded than anything even remotely resembling a sim. Hell, I have a feeling even NFS Most Wanted/Hot Pursuit are probably more realistic.

What? Wtf, well that's that I guess. Thanks Shaneus!

1-D_FTW

/\/\

Right. As Shaneus points out, they've taken an arcade-sim and amped the arcade bits to the extreme. I'm not sure it appeals to anyone in the sim thread.

I love sims. I love arcade games (Sega in particular). This game, however, seems like a bastard child of nothing I've known. And I don't hate Codemasters. I've often stated that Dirt 2/3 were arcade style games that I envisioned Sega making if they'd continued course. And I meant that as a compliment. Grid 2, however, just makes me shake "no."

Addnan

It's a bit harsh comparing it to unbounded. That thing was horrible, with crazy fire stuff coming out of you exhaust, breaking down walls and shit. Grid 2 is not a sim, but it's more of a sim than most wanted will ever be.

Shaneus

It's a bit harsh comparing it to unbounded. That thing was horrible, with crazy fire stuff coming out of you exhaust, breaking down walls and shit. Grid 2 is not a sim, but it's more of a sim than most wanted will ever be.
I enjoyed RRU, but I knew what I was getting into. But keep in mind I'm just basing my comment going by what I've gathered from this thread... and if people are going in thinking it's simmy and it's not, the natural first reaction is to think of it as super-arcadey (which is fair enough, first impressions are often exaggerated).

I'm still thinking of picking this up at a reduced price, though. A VERY reduced one, if I have to pay for all that DLC which should've been included :/

TJP

So I've been craving a racing sim, is there anything good to play today that is fairly recent? I say recent because if its old then I've probably played it.
Have you tried the Reiza made sims?

Game Stock Car: http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html

Formula Truck: http://www.gameformulatruck.com/en/

Both have sublime physics and FFB. Graphics are a little dated but when the rest is so damn good, it's easy to forget the gMotor 2 visuals.

Other options are to buy Shift and/or Unleashed and apply the NoGrip community mods for a more GTR 2 experience or you could try any of the free to play sims such as SimRaceWay, RaceRoom or Autoclub Revolution. One could also try the iRacing Cadallac code for 3 months of free racing 8)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Have you tried the Reiza made sims?

Game Stock Car: http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/index.html

Formula Truck: http://www.gameformulatruck.com/en/

Both have sublime physics and FFB. Graphics are a little dated but when the rest is so damn good, it's easy to forget the gMotor 2 visuals.

Other options are to buy Shift and/or Unleashed and apply the NoGrip community mods for a more GTR 2 experience or you could try any of the free to play sims such as SimRaceWay, RaceRoom or Autoclub Revolution. One could also try the iRacing Cadallac code for 3 months of free racing 8)

Never heard of this and I'd love to try iRacing. How does it work and where can I find such code? :)

Shaneus

/\/\

Right. As Shaneus points out, they've taken an arcade-sim and amped the arcade bits to the extreme. I'm not sure it appeals to anyone in the sim thread.

I love sims. I love arcade games (Sega in particular). This game, however, seems like a bastard child of nothing I've known. And I don't hate Codemasters. I've often stated that Dirt 2/3 were arcade style games that I envisioned Sega making if they'd continued course. And I meant that as a compliment. Grid 2, however, just makes me shake "no."
Have you actually played G2 at all? I haven't touched it, I'm just wondering whether you're coming from a position of experience or just the impressions from that thread like I am.

Is there any sim that doesn't have robot-like AI when driving behind the safety/pace car? When full course yellows come out in the sims I play, the other cars should speed up, slow down, warm the brakes, warm the tires etc. Instead, we see the AI drive in a static 60mph train, which really breaks the immersion. Does any sim solve this and have the cars being less predictable?

Never heard of this and I'd love to try iRacing. How does it work and where can I find such code? :)

https://www.cadillaccupracing.com/

The main iRacing site has lots of helpful info on it.

Is there any sim that doesn't have robot-like AI when driving behind the safety/pace car? When full course yellows come out in the sims I play, the other cars should speed up, slow down, warm the brakes, warm the tires etc. Instead, we see the AI drive in a static 60mph train, which really breaks the immersion. Does any sim solve this and have the cars being less predictable?

Ha, absolutely not! That's a relic that will stay with us forever.

1-D_FTW

Have you actually played G2 at all? I haven't touched it, I'm just wondering whether you're coming from a position of experience or just the impressions from that thread like I am.

Impressions. Not giving them 50 dollars to get PO'd at my purchase. Just between watching videos and impressions. Someone who bought it said it'd gotten the Dirt Showdown'd treatment. That's also the impression the videos gave me. And saying something had been Showdown'd is the worst insult you can give a racing game IMO. So I don't think I'll touch it even at 5.00 dollars. I wish I could give back Showdown and I got that code for free.

Top Bottom