• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Finally got around to setting up my desk for using a T500RS.
Will certainly be looking through this thread to see how to give this baby a workout.

Shaneus

I believe this was originally reported on UK Hotdeals but it's now everywhere on the internet. You'll need to find alternative methods to access Origin Sweden (e.g. Hola and Chrome) as EA have woken up and realised how so many have been accessing the store..I look forward to reading feedback on the game, especially the never to be fixed bugs like random freezes that are caused by disappearing road textures and lag in multiplayer 8)
1jwYqfT.png

lol

(FWIW, I used "ibvpn". Didn't risk using Hola and ibVPN has a free 6 hour trial :) )

TJP

^^
Nice work Shaneus. Got to hand it to EA - a great way to boost sales numbers of Rivals! Pity the DLC is so insanely overpriced.

MXGP demo is available via Steam for anyone interested in motocross.

Shaneus

Oh, that's the Milestone one! I'm just waiting for them to produce something that *feels* like AAA. They have it in them, but almost everything they've done, while high quality, still comes off like it's destined for the bargain bin. AC doesn't, so hopefully they'll start taking a leaf out of their book somehow.

Zeth

A new 'Overlay Effect' video of Game Stock Car 2013 with SWE 27 Add-On for G27:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5EXy245v0

I hope you like it.

Whoa. I now really want an F1 style G27 wheel. If I could somehow get one to the US - are there any other options? Installation doesn't look too hard, but videos were in Portugese. I just put in a brake spring mod - but that didn't involve any electronics. Anyone have experience with these?

TJP

Oh, that's the Milestone one! I'm just waiting for them to produce something that *feels* like AAA. They have it in them, but almost everything they've done, while high quality, still comes off like it's destined for the bargain bin.
As you are probably aware (because I post the following so often so that my posts don't read like they've been typed by a twat), I've been buying Milestone games since SBK 2001 - made with EA's money at a time when EA weren't evil - and it remains Milestone's best release.

MXGP does look somewhat better than MotoGP '13 but I don't consider it to be a 'next gen' game as advertised. The riders look a lot better detailed than previous games and so do the bikes. As a bonus, selecting 4xFSAA doesn't murder the frame rate unlike the recent MotoGP game. On the flipside MXGP retains the generic 'made by Milestone' look - the trackside details are of average quailty and the crowds look randomly placed mannequins. The track is visually solid; the dirt and mud look decent the ruts do make a difference to how the bike reacts as the track slowly deforms and changes. The jumps are fun despite the bikes just appearing to hang in the air. I did see some rooster tails and dust effects too. Cameras consist of three views: close-up, behind the rider and looking over the handlebars.

Mr Voiceover man makes a return which is offset by what sounds like a farting competition as your virtual rider and crew chief do a series of bro-fists prior to the GP getting underway as the camera pans around this touching pre-race scene. The random farting noise continue until the GP starts. Once again in a Milestone game one cannot engage first gear until the starting lights or for motocross, the when the gate drops leaving it a guessing game to get a holeshot start.

Physics are a nice blend of sim and arcade; body movement can be independent of the bike so one needs to be quite well versed with the left and right analogue sticks (wired Xbox controller for PC being used) and the gearbox can be set to semi-auto or manual. The pit sequence is straight from SBK games; ask the crew chief to fettle with the settings based on a series of questions or take the DIY approach (I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it Milestone). It is standard Milestone fare...

Farting aside, the sound effects are what one expects of 4 stroke thumpers - drone central. I didn't ride the one available Suzuki, opting for the KTM and Kawasaki and they felt largely similar although the Kwaka seemed a bit more accelerative than the KTM but it may have been a case of guessing the timing of the start gate drop and perhaps shorter gearing.

For a 2 GB download, a section of just 3 MX2 riders and 1 track is a little sparse IMO. I don't think this game is for me; I prefer the tarmac to the dirt for my two wheeled excitement in video games but I do hope this finds an audience.

Shaneus

MX games peaked at the original Motocross Madness (and maybe the sequel) IMO. Loved that game! The MX during Moto Racer was decent too, but I think that was before MM.

I downloaded the demo though, so we'll see how it plays. Still doubt I'd pay close to full price for it, though. Rather get SBK 2001 or whatever the good one is :)

Whoa. I now really want an F1 style G27 wheel. If I could somehow get one to the US - are there any other options? Installation doesn't look too hard, but videos were in Portugese. I just put in a brake spring mod - but that didn't involve any electronics. Anyone have experience with these?

I see there's one on Ebay shipped from Miami. Bit of a cost premium over the converted price on their own site however. If they'll ship one to Adrian in Spain, they'll probably be able to hook you up too.

Looks to be super easy to put together. I wouldn't worry about that.

DD

I can help you with the portuguese, if you want.

TJP

The only bike sims a man or woman need until GP Bikes releases:

VpiONI9.jpg

*excuse the shite quality as the photo taken on my Nexus phone.

Nikhil

Neo Member
MX games peaked at the original Motocross Madness (and maybe the sequel) IMO. Loved that game! The MX during Moto Racer was decent too, but I think that was before MM.

I downloaded the demo though, so we'll see how it plays. Still doubt I'd pay close to full price for it, though. Rather get SBK 2001 or whatever the good one is :)

If you want a good MX game, check out MX Simulator. It's far and away the best MX game that's available. VERY steep learning curve, but once you figure it out it's more rewarding than any other racer I've played.

MX games peaked at the original Motocross Madness (and maybe the sequel) IMO. Loved that game!
Yes! That game is pretty much the reason I learned to build a computer--I needed a 3D card and more RAM to play it. After that, I was hooked on PC gaming. It was also my first major online gaming experience (neck deep in the Microsoft Gaming Zone on dial-up!). So many great memories with that game.

If you want a good MX game, check out MX Simulator. It's far and away the best MX game that's available. VERY steep learning curve, but once you figure it out it's more rewarding than any other racer I've played.
Noted!

Nikhil

Neo Member
Yes! That game is pretty much the reason I learned to build a computer--I needed a 3D card and more RAM to play it. After that, I was hooked on PC gaming. It was also my first major online gaming experience (neck deep in the Microsoft Gaming Zone on dial-up!). So many great memories with that game.

Noted!

Here's a video if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGi7or0n9A

Don't be put off by the difficulty at first. It took me around a day to be able to ride in a straight line, and 4 or 5 to do something as simple as a double. If you decide to check it out, I can help you get started with a good controller mapping and bike setup.

VVV Mars VG

MXGP does look somewhat better than MotoGP '13 but I don't consider it to be a 'next gen' game as advertised.

Where did you see it marketed as "next gen"? Its always been a current gen title so bare it mind XB360 and PS3 have been the target audience.

So far I'm really pleased with the balance on handling models, perfecting the hardest settings with rider weight will take a lot of practice and I've found it very intuitive so far.

Milestone don't have the best rep and alas that means a lot of people will write this off before giving it an adequate play session. Either way I've found it to be a great deal of fun, more solid than MotoGP '13, one of the best console biking games in a long time. My coverage will kick off this week, here's a video preview of content to come, expect the usual break-down and analysis in the coming days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYnbKQIqPnY

soontroll

Banned

Noted!

Might want to look out for MX Bikes. Being developed by the same guy who made GP Bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39pEVSbFQU&list=UU0BmBZOIAcXB2mzB4DCyoZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMVsC-L_bZ4&list=UU0BmBZOIAcXB2mzB4DCyoZA

http://forum.mx-bikes.com/

TJP

Where did you see it marketed as "next gen"? Its always been a current gen title so bare it mind XB360 and PS3 have been the target audience.
Isn't it sharing the same engine as MotoGP '14? I'll be interested to see how advanced MotoGP '14 looks (and plays) as it's a cross console generation game and Milestone haven't made much use of the PC's GPU power for quite some time.

Milestone don't have the best rep and alas that means a lot of people will write this off before giving it an adequate play session. Either way I've found it to be a great deal of fun, more solid than MotoGP '13, one of the best console biking games in a long time.
Alan please go read the MotoGP 13 forums on Steam - the lack of communication post release is very poor as has been the long-term support. Serious Sam 3 is still being updated by Croteam yet MotoGP '13 has been patched twice...and the second patch effectively halved the frame rate.

People such as myself are hard on Milestone because we expect more from them and for them not to regurgitate the same game with a different cover each year. You'd be hard pressed to find someone else on this forum whose bought and played every bike sim Milestone have ever made across the PC, PS2 and Xbox 360 plus three of their four WRC games (WRC and WRC 2 on Xbox 360, WRC 1-3 on PC) which is exactly my playing history.

I'm happy you found MotoGP '13 to be the best bike game in a while; I pre-ordered MotoGP 13 and have been disappointed with what I played as it still lags way behind SBK 2001 in every area and is missing many features found in their 13 year old sim. In fact there are many aspects to what the much maligned and defunct Monumental did with their MotoGP games that are far superior including having their game engine running at a constant 60fps on both consoles. I do hope MotoGP 14 is a turning point for Milestone in regards to making a release as spot-on as SBK 2001 however I've said this every year since SBK '08 and I'm yet to be right*

*I'll still buy MotoGP '14 because I am an idiot 8)

VVV Mars VG

I'm happy you found MotoGP '13 to be the best bike game in a while,

Sorry, crossed wires there there, I was referring to MXGP in my post.

Good point on lack of support, its a similar situation with social media. Either way there are steps in the right direction, lets just hope they can sort out a solid graphics engine for the next-gen and get on a par with other larger publishers.

TJP

Good point on lack of support, its a similar situation with social media. Either way there are steps in the right direction, lets just hope they can sort out a solid graphics engine for the next-gen and get on a par with other larger publishers.
It is very disappointing to buy a game, receive two patches months apart - mutliplayer didn't work for much of the time between the first and second patch - then have the developer disappear into the ether. Because Milestone disappeared, the DLC was barely mentioned here or elsewhere: the 'Champions DLC' is well worth buying because of the roster of great riders (and some terrible choices too). I grew up watching the Yanks and Aussies dominate 500cc racing from the early 80's until the late 1990's all of whom are included (lDoohan, Schwantz, Rainey, Spencer, Gardner, Lawson - a combined 16 500cc world titles!) plus the other 500cc world champions Rossi and Criville. The Red Bull rookies DLC I didn't bother with.

Milestone always make solid games that are released across multiple platforms; they have single handedly kept the motorcycle sim racing genre afloat when most publisher don't give a shit about the sport I love. This is why I keep buying their games despite some misgivings. That said, despite the sims being solid releases, there are always elements in every release that are half baked which brings the rest of the sim down. I felt Milestone were stuck in a rut with the SBK series; SBK Generations took the previous releases and rolled them into a single game; MotoGP '08 was SBK '08 with slightly better graphics (which then became SBK '09) and MotoGP '13 riffs off SBK Generations.

None of these releases come close to the near perfection of SBK 2001 which is why I'm always crapping on about a 13 year old sim. It has eveything a bike sim needs, all Milestone needs to do is a visual update and include better damage modelling and dynamic weather & dynamic track and they'd create the best MotoGP sim since GP 500. For example in SBK 2001, if you crash the bike and presuming you haven't destroyed the bike and/or rider, the rider must then run to the bike and pick it up (this was all motion captured) like they do in real life - one does not respawn mounted on the bike at the side of the track! This is an example of what I'm looking for in a modern bike sim.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Game Stock Car 2013 will soon receive new content in the form of free DLC. And here I leave you an advance from part of the new content, it's about the Formula V12, inspired by F1 cars of the mid-nineties, with a spectacular sound. You can also see in this video the Gilles Villeneuve circuit (Canadian GP) of 1988, also included in this new content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KGrifaIos

TJP

^^ Nice! Any day now I hope. Are they still sticking with March?
It's already available; you can use the in-build GSC Sync function or download from the GSC website: http://game-stockcar.com.br/downloads-2/?lang=en

Edit: it looks like Reiza have pulled the official mirror files for the moment: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/v-1-15-is-out-but.84810/page-3#post-1672932

GSC Sync works really well IMO. Congrats Reiza Studios; you once again show how to support a product with fantastic quality and FREE add-ons.

TJP

One of the best PC sims just got a whole lot better for FREE!:

What is Game Stock Car Extreme?

Game Stock Extreme (or GSCE for short) is a series of free updates bringing a variety of new content, features and general improvements for Game Stock Car 2013 (not to be confused with the original Game Stock Car and its own free expansion, Game Stock Car 2012).

The Game Stock Car series takes its name from brazilian Stock Car v8 series which is the leading component in the simulator - GSC has however gradually evolved into a diverse racing sim covering a variety of different racing disciplines. Our goal with GSCE is to push GSC2013 even further as one of the most complete, diverse and realistic sim racing titles on the PC platform,

All this at no adittional charge for owners of GSC2013.

How much does GSC2013 + GSCE cost and where do I get it?

Currently GSC2013 ( GSCE) sells for US$ 24.90. All owners of GSC2013 will be able to update to GSCE, free of any adittional charge. Given the extent of the updates being developed for the sim, we have decided to bump the US$ 24.90 price tag to US$ 29.90 from April 4th onwards. If you still haven´t got your copy, hurry up! The game is available for purchase here.

I already own Game Stock Car 2013 - do I need to purchase the new content in Game Stock Car Extreme?

No - if you already own Game Stock Car 2013, you are all set for all the currently planned (and eventual unplanned!) upcoming Game Stock Car Extreme adittions.

So what exactly is the good stuff coming up with GSCE?

Beyond the just-released v1.15 which introduces the Formula V12, Montreal, Floripa along with several other improvements, a series of updates are planned for the next 2-3 months, to include several new enhancements along with the following content:

CARS

Formula Extreme

The first car in a high-end racing simulator based on the F1 technical regulations of 2014 - including a V6 1.6 Turbo engine, 8-speed gearbox, energy recovery systems and DRS.

Formula Vee Brasil

The brazlian version of one of the most popular and acessible junior formulas around the world, the little Vees are perfetly suited for close open wheel racing.

Metalmoro MR18
Paolo.Reis.C.Ricci.01.jpg

Weighing under 750 kg and with a turbo engine outputting 400 HP, GSC´s first prototype has great pedigree in brazilian endurance racing

Opala Stock Cars 1986

By 1986, the original, fairly "stock" Opala's which made up the grid for the first brazilian Stock Cars seasons as simulated in GSC2013 had evolved into serious race cars, complete with aero kits, slick tires and a heavily tuned engine - all this combining to laptimes tumbling 30s around the old Interlagos relative to the earlier years of the series!

Superkart
250cc aero-equipped superkarts for actual race tracks is a new dimension to the karting component in GSC - racing doesn´t get more manic than this!

Stock Car V8 2014
The new 2014 Stock Car season could not be missing here - all cars and drivers from the new season with new technical and sporting rules such as new bigger Pirelli tires, semi-automatic gearboxes and double-stint races.

TRACKS

A selected variety of tracks with a more international flavor covering different eras is currently in development:

*Austrian Ring 1976

*Kyalami 1976

*Jacarepagua 1988

*Bologne 1988

*Austrian Ring 2014

*Buenos Aires 2014

All that is listed above is 100% confirmed and currently in development,...but there could be more! Consider the following potential adittions:

- Even more cars & tracks;

- Live dynamic track conditions;

- Live dynamic weather;

- A new enhanced tire model simulating dirt, graining, blistering, flatspots along with a number of other advancements;

- A new realistic transmission physics to accurately simulate each car´s gear shift characteristics;

- The opportunity to get involved and help shape these and other developments!

The above and much more are all potential developments to GSCE - these however will be dependent on additional funding which we hope the community can help us raise from our upcoming crowd funding campaign - information on this is to follow shortly. Stay tuned to find out how to contribute with us in turning Game Stock Car Extreme into an even more memorable simracing experience!

Pictures and info taken from Race Department forums: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...information-you-need-here.84838/#post-1673074

TJP

More GSC: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/game-stock-car-extreme-v1-15-officially-released.84839/

Main Changelog from v1.10:

Content

- Added Floripa race track + 4 kart layouts;
- Added Montreal 1988;
- Added Formula V12 (field currently limited to 4 teams and drivers for v1.15 - more to come in v1.20).

General features / Bug Fixes

- Added fix for CTD when qualifying sessions are turned off;
- Added options to switch qualifying off and manually set grid position;
- Added fix for pre-race grid reordering functionality (for Dedicated only);
- Corrected flag animations flapping widely when a time acceleration is in place;
- Support for realtime steering wheel rotation adjustment from the Controller menu (min 180º max 900º);
- Adjusted default rearview height / width;
- Minimum vertical FOV setting adjusted from 35º to 10º;
- Adjusted default shadow updates, sky update frames for smoother shadow transitions;
- Executable now is set to include +fullproc by default (for better performance in modern CPUs);
- Tire compounds may now have different textures (configured using cockpitinfo.ini file - see F-Reiza for example);
- Driver name labels have been adjusted and relocated to a less instrusive look (still requires some tweaking).
- Series RFMs have been made available for editing;
- All series now have its own RFM, with the adittion of an ALL CARS / ALL TRACKS component (to be used wisely - don´t expect AI karts to work well in race circuits or race cars on kart tracks!)

Tracks

- Fixed issue with invisible walls in Caruaru;
- Improved alternative cloudy sky texture;
- Fixed sky issues with Cordoba and Brasilia;
- Improved AI paths for Cordoba and Jacarepagua 2005.

Audio

- Slightly improved F-Retro onboard sounds;
- Speed of sound adjusted from 290 m/s to 340 m/s (for slightly more realistic doppler effect);

Physics

- All cars have received a brake temperature response curve adjustment to generally provide better and feel and be less susceptible to lock-ups;
- F-Retro tires slightly adjusted;
- Kart rear toe slightly adjusted.

Please direct your bug reports on v1.15 to this thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/gsce-v1-15-bug-report-thread.84840/#post-1673084

For issues installing / running / setting up GSCE, please refer to our FAQ ( http://game-stockcar.com.br/faq-2/?lang=en ) first before posting.

In need of support with Serial Number renewals or fingerprint mismatches? Please send an email to sales@reizastudios.com or contact us via PM here supplying the email used in your purchase so we can better assist you.

Spookie

While I love GSC for all the content they put out I can't get over how haggard the engine looks. Especially after playing AC and iRacing. :(

- Added Floripa race track + 4 kart layouts;
This kart circuit is the best so far. The other two suffered from typical-kart-circuit-syndrome, where the designer tries to cram the longest length of tarmac into the small, flat plot of land. ending up with tight, winding track, hairpin after hairpin and minimal interference from ups and downs. Floripa on the other had feels like a proper grown-up circuit, with fast sweeping bends, long straights, many elevation changes and blind crests. I love it.

Atrophis

Thats some really nice content additions. Looks like i'll pick up the game before the price increase.

Any chance there will be Rift compatibility?

Do they mean the Osterreichring? If so, holy shit... I can't wait!

Wowowo... and Kyalami, and (presumably) Imola. v1.15 sounds great, and the release schedule looks wicked, but they're planning some crazy shit. I think they've seen the success AC has had just with Steam integration, controller support, and a content schedule. A "crowd funding campaign" would be fine by me. Just keep it modest.

It's an exciting turn of events for them to want to bring it up to new heights. That's good stuff.

About GSC, can I make a custom championship with all the tracks?

Here

Cool, thanks! But does the game at least supports championships for each category in single player mode, or only normal races?

Yep, yep. You can run a championship in whatever car class you'd like, and run several of them at the same time. It's just that you're at the mercy of the game as to what tracks you'll be running. They won't include any of your add-on (modded) tracks for example. That's where that tool comes in.

DD

Yep, yep. You can run a championship in whatever car class you'd like, and run several of them at the same time. It's just that you're at the mercy of the game as to what tracks you'll be running. They won't include any of your add-on (modded) tracks for example. That's where that tool comes in.

Ah, that's how it works then. Thanks for the info. ;)

TJP

There are many cars and tracks available for Game Stock Car however many of these mods are ripped directly from other sims or rFactor mod conversions (made without consent) and may be utter shite as a result. Each developer uses a different track surface grip levels; a track taken from Sim X may therefore be utter rubbish in GSC. Get the scratch made tracks from Race Department instead: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/gsc-tracks.22/

Branson

A reminder that there are many cars and tracks available for Game Stock Car here: [

Many of these mods are ripped directly from other sims or rFactor mod conversions (made without consent) and may be utter shite as a result.

I think I was told when I posted that earlier in the thread that you shouldnt post that site for that reason. lol. Not to be a downer but that site is pretty frowned upon apparently. I think that was the site someone told me not to post.

Good god I totally love them updating the game like this though. What a great team of developers. Definitely one of the best sims around for support alone.

rFactor 2 devs are also working on a Gen-6 Stock Car I noticed on their news. I'm pretty excited about that too. Love me some oval racing, not too many of these sims have a lot of it. iRacing and NR2003 still continue to be the best bet for Oval stuff around on the PC side.

TJP

I think I was told when I posted that earlier in the thread that you shouldnt post that site for that reason. lol. Not to be a downer but that site is pretty frowned upon apparently. I think that was the site someone told me not to post.
Whilst I don't have much of an issue with the content as I own all of the sims the content is from - you are correct that most sim communities see these mods as 'illegal' and I've modded my post 8)

Good god I totally love them updating the game like this though. What a great team of developers. Definitely one of the best sims around for support alone.
Indeed Reiza are a great dev so let's hope the sim community get behind the latest release and buy copies.

Kimi on simulators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd8ij8l1q8Y
(taken from http://www.racedepartment.com/kimi-raikkonen-says-f1-simulator/)

TJP

Massive edit; run GSC Sync to download the latest exe file.

Reiza said:
For those struggling with poor performance and/or heavy stuttering, please try plugging in this exe into your install: EDIT: fix has been verified and is now on the Sync server - just run GSC Sync to update. Remember you should not need to create shortcuts with command lines using this v1.15 executable - just run it as is.

Also make a point to delete old HAT files from your USERDATA folder everytime you update to new version.

Top Bottom