• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Holy mother of…

After a number of years using shitty DFGT pedals, I finally upgraded to the Fanatec Clubsport V2 and the difference is phenomenal. I've had to bump the rF2 AI up a couple of % for it to keep up with me. How on earth I survived for so long with the flappy bits of plastic beneath my feet, I'll never know.

What's the best racing game with Oculus rift support right now?
It was iRacing a few months ago, not sure if that situation has changed as I no longer have a headset to test. They seemed to be on the case faster than anyone else, so I suspect with all the community feedback, their solution has seen the most fine-tuning.

Holy mother of…

After a number of years using shitty DFGT pedals, I finally upgraded to the Fanatec Clubsport V2 and the difference is phenomenal. I've had to bump the rF2 AI up a couple of % for it to keep up with me. How on earth I survived for so long with the flappy bits of plastic beneath my feet, I'll never know.

As a former DFGT owner, and a person who doesn't mind a little "making do", getting off those flappy pedals was something I should have done much, much sooner. I think there's a psychological hurdle when the DFGT blows away any previous wheel you've owned. I call it T2 Syndrome ;-) I was inflicted. Inflicted bad.

Seriously though (and I don't even have a load cell yet), you can't believe how much your brain is freed up by not having to constantly think about the brake pedal. Your confidence and consistency just skyrockets.

Finally getting round to updating GSC... trying this GSC Sync thing. It appears to be downloading 7.5GB of data. This is larger than the original GSC2013 install... is it just downloading an entirely new game? And if so, why can't you just download this from scratch?

I just did a big PC refresh, so I've been reinstalling sims... I just downloaded GSC2013, simply to activate this new download which is overwriting everything?

Here's a video if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGi7or0n9A

Don't be put off by the difficulty at first. It took me around a day to be able to ride in a straight line, and 4 or 5 to do something as simple as a double. If you decide to check it out, I can help you get started with a good controller mapping and bike setup.

Just coming back to say MX Simulator is phenomenal, and I've only poked around with the demo so far.

I was able to come up with a 360 controller mapping that works with my brain, a bike setup that works well (at least around Ekswanbee Park), and advanced stability settings that aren't overly forgiving. I've weened myself down to 55% stability now and am gaining more confidence with each batch of laps. Having grown up on two wheels (BMX) and being quite familiar with suspension setup from my experience on four, the initial setup didn't faze me much, and the riding mechanics themselves all make good sense. Leaning back and getting on the throttle out of a corner and holding a small slide all the way out is just wonderful. Scrubbing jumps and having to counter the bike's trajectory with the rider's weight off the lip for a good whip feels AMAZING when you do it right. This game is just awesome. I'll have to buy the full version soon and get some updated models, skins, and tracks... but the demo has already been more than captivating enough.

As a former DFGT owner, and a person who doesn't mind a little "making do", getting off those flappy pedals was something I should have done much, much sooner. I think there's a psychological hurdle when the DFGT blows away any previous wheel you've owned. I call it T2 Syndrome ;-) I was inflicted. Inflicted bad.

Seriously though (and I don't even have a load cell yet), you can't believe how much your brain is freed up by not having to constantly think about the brake pedal. Your confidence and consistency just skyrockets.
Indeed. I was surprised just how quickly my brain adapted. I was expecting a few days, but nope, just a few laps :)

Also, the freedom of finally having the brake and accelerator on different axis really helps in karting when you need to keep the revs up :p

Finally getting round to updating GSC... trying this GSC Sync thing. It appears to be downloading 7.5GB of data. This is larger than the original GSC2013 install... is it just downloading an entirely new game? And if so, why can't you just download this from scratch?

I just did a big PC refresh, so I've been reinstalling sims... I just downloaded GSC2013, simply to activate this new download which is overwriting everything?
IIRC my update was somewhere around 1.3-1.7GB. Is yours syncing to the correct directory?

IIRC my update was somewhere around 1.3-1.7GB. Is yours syncing to the correct directory?
I just realised that GSC2013 already has GSC Sync. I had downloaded it separately. But still, now that I'm doing it from the 2013 install, I'm sure the update was around 3GB. But now it's aborting itself.

"Unable to sync file 'C:\GSC2013\GameData\Locations\InterlagosHistoric\InterlagosOuter\InterlagosOutermini.tga'! ErrorReplyCode: -1 Message: Malformed FTP reply: 0 O Aborting ..."

It still has 1.9GB to go...

TJP

No way I'm paying that much. Thanks but no thanks. :(

40 euro for one series is a bit much.
I agree it's quite a sum of money for one series however it's an officially licenced DTM sim. The cost of obtaining licences for the official cars, teams and tracks (each element requires seperate negotiations) are expensive and the price reflects this. I thought I'd link to buying from RD as it keeps their forum afloat too 8)

TJP

I just realised that GSC2013 already has GSC Sync. I had downloaded it separately. But still, now that I'm doing it from the 2013 install, I'm sure the update was around 3GB. But now it's aborting itself.
GSC Sync would have downloaded the latest version anyway, so you saved yourself a step..

"Unable to sync file 'C:\GSC2013\GameData\Locations\InterlagosHistoric\InterlagosOuter\InterlagosOutermini.tga'! ErrorReplyCode: -1 Message: Malformed FTP reply: 0 O Aborting ..."

It still has 1.9GB to go...
Have you any add-ons installed? Most of the people I saw posting on RaceDepartment with downloading issues had mods installed and I'd remove any mods and try again. Don't worry about the restarting as GSC calculates how much it's downloaded and resumes from that spot (akin to downloading via Steam, Origin etc)

If you haven't already looked for them, here is the download page with alternate links to download mirrors: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/game-stock-car-extreme-v1-15-officially-released.84839/

Not sure what happened to the torrent that was said to be in the works for this release..

I started entirely fresh - I'm reinstalling all my sims at the moment. So today I downloaded GSC2013 from Reiza's site, and then ran GSC Sync, and it is aborting itself in the same spot every time. I didn't realise they've put the whole thing up as a separate download. Apparently they're looking into these Sync issues and recommending users just download the standalone for now.

If they'd just put that on their website this would have gone a lot smoother...

I will happily crowd fund whatever they'd like to do in the future. Gotta kill the Dark Ages delivery and communication systems however. That's my line in the sand.

TJP

I started entirely fresh - I'm reinstalling all my sims at the moment. So today I downloaded GSC2013 from Reiza's site, and then ran GSC Sync, and it is aborting itself in the same spot every time. I didn't realise they've put the whole thing up as a separate download. Apparently they're looking into these Sync issues and recommending users just download the standalone for now.
I was one of the lucky ones who updates to the Extreme version without issue. I had reinstalled a vanilla version of GSC 2013 some time ago as I'd run into the '3 activations' issue despite not ever uninstalling it..FWIW, Reiza did unlock my licence code very promptly.

As GSC Sync updated GSC to the extreme version without a hitch, I put this down to having a non-modded version installed. I've uploaded the file that keeps erroring for you here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03725702553219716942 - you could place the file into GSC and see if it helps.

TJP

GSC Extreme says hello Austria:
Formula-Extreme-@-Austrian-Ring-2.jpg

Taken from: http://www.racedepartment.com/special-offer-reiza-studios-game-stock-car-extreme/

disap.ed

I was a number of times in Spielberg (and will be there again on sunday for a trackday) but unfortunately I have to say that this doesn't look nowhere like the real deal.
I don't even know on which place of the track the first screenshot should be.
I can imagine the point of the second screenshot, but there are no grandstands in reality.

I am hopeful though that both AC (it was in a poll) and pCARS (with the DTM pack put in prospect) will feature the track (closer to the real thing).

Seanspeed

Banned
I agree it's quite a sum of money for one series however it's an officially licenced DTM sim. The cost of obtaining licences for the official cars, teams and tracks (each element requires seperate negotiations) are expensive and the price reflects this. I thought I'd link to buying from RD as it keeps their forum afloat too 8)
Which is why they shouldn't have ever bothered.

I was one of the lucky ones who updates to the Extreme version without issue. I had reinstalled a vanilla version of GSC 2013 some time ago as I'd run into the '3 activations' issue despite not ever uninstalling it..FWIW, Reiza did unlock my licence code very promptly.

As GSC Sync updated GSC to the extreme version without a hitch, I put this down to having a non-modded version installed. I've uploaded the file that keeps erroring for you here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03725702553219716942 - you could place the file into GSC and see if it helps.
That's very helpful TJP, thanks! Once I found the folder to drop that into, I compared it other 'location' folders, and noticed it was missing both the tga and the 'loading.jpg'. Sure enough, the sync now fails at InterlagosOuter_loading.jpg. If you could upload that file as well, we might be in business!

TJP

Which is why they shouldn't have ever bothered.
I disagree - it's a great addition. The demo was an old build and the actual release is very good. With the changes going on behind the scenes, the DTM add-on and R3E will only get better.

The biggest downside is the price; I own the paid-for UnitedRacingDesign T5 Touring Car Series (DTM mod) for rF2 and I much prefer SimBin's version of DTM plus I have all the tracks which rF2 lacks. That said, we are all different ;)

I was a number of times in Spielberg (and will be there again on sunday for a trackday) but unfortunately I have to say that this doesn't look nowhere like the real deal.
I don't even know on which place of the track the first screenshot should be.
I can imagine the point of the second screenshot, but there are no grandstands in reality.

I am hopeful though that both AC (it was in a poll) and pCARS (with the DTM pack put in prospect) will feature the track (closer to the real thing).

I dunno, I think it looks pretty good. GSC just isn't a sim that I have photorealistic expectations for. If that's your home track, I can see how you'd want it to be as accurate as possible however.

First shot is T1, and the second shot is the run to T3 (there will be grandstands there in two months time!). Here's a third shot of the run to T2.

TJP

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, it's still not working. Now it says:

Unable to sync file 'C:\GSC2013\GameData\Locations\InterlagosHistoric\InterlagosSC80\Interlagossc80_loading.jpg'! ErrorReplyCode: -1 Message: Malformed FTP reply: 0 O Aborting ...

But this time, that file is clearly there. So I don't understand. :(
It's my pleasure to assist in any way that I can.

Okay, it's another file is kaput; I've uploaded it to here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08106183749128503664

Are you running an anti-virus program? I ask because I'm wondering if it's interfering with the downloading of these files.

Well whaddya know.... after I replaced that file, it seems to be working! Only MS Security Essentials running here. I guess my installation just happened to have three corrupted files? Fingers crossed it gets to the end with no further hiccups.

It's weird, because on RaceDepartment I saw another guy saying that his sync aborted on exactly the same file (and that he knew other people with the same problem)... too much of a coincidence, surely.

TJP

Excellent news 8) I'm very glad you've gotten GSC Extreme working as it's fantastic. It certainly reads like Reiza have a few dud files on their update server as I doubt MSE would interfere with the downloading of jpeg files.

The final step is to ensure your PLR file which can be found at GSC2013\UserData\Your Name\ reads the following:

Shadow Updates="8" // Static shadow updates per frame (Shadow Updates * Sky Update Frames should exceed number of static shadows on track)

Sky Update Frames="150" // Frames between sky and light updates

These changes fixed the stuttering I was getting on one of the kart tracks and many others had the same issue. Reiza issued a new gsc.exe however mine doesn't automatically correct these lines in the PLR file and a few others - all of whom I think are Nvidia GPU owners like myself - have the same issue.

disap.ed

I dunno, I think it looks pretty good. GSC just isn't a sim that I have photorealistic expectations for. If that's your home track, I can see how you'd want it to be as accurate as possible however.

First shot is T1, and the second shot is the run to T3 (there will be grandstands there in two months time!). Here's a third shot of the run to T2.

I didn't mean the technical aspect, but the layout.
It felt wrong to me from the screenshot because Turn2 is the highest point of the track and in the first screenshot T1 looks a lot higher than this one. Now I can see it, probably only the camera.
I think the second screenshot is the run from T1 to T2 though.

friday

So MXGP is a solid MX game based on my demo experience. Not super deep gameplay wise but still a fun game. I am not really a big fan of duel stick controlling in MX games, but this game does it a lot better than the MX vs ATV games. The left stick can do most of your turning needs, the right is just used for a bit more maneuverability. I might pick it up soon.

I do wish it had some kind of outdoor free roaming mode. I would love a more off-road focused MX game.

It's so weird to me to see new games with gMotor2 being released. I know sim studios don't have PD's or T10's budget for the graphics, but come on.

TJP

ISI possibly charge not a lot of their old ISImotor2 platform plus Reiza Studio's physics guru Niels Heusinkveld knows a lot about getting the best from the rFactor platform.

Good interview here: http://simhqmotorsports.com/niels-heusinkveld/

Whilst I agree rFactor based sims are looking their age, few people care about dated graphics when the physics and FFB are as sublime as GSC. I'd love to see GSC running on a more modern platform such as Assetto Corsa or rF2..

Megasoum

Banned
So the Thrustmaster TX works on PC but doesn't work on PS3 and I really don't get it...

I mean, it must be using HID on PC right? PS3 is compatible with HID by default. Did they really go through all the trouble of blocking that specific hardware ID to run on PS3 just because it'S branded as a XB1 wheel? It's really stupid.

ISI possibly charge not a lot of their old ISImotor2 platform plus Reiza Studio's physics guru Niels Heusinkveld knows a lot about getting the best from the rFactor platform.

Good interview here: http://simhqmotorsports.com/niels-heusinkveld/

Whilst I agree rFactor based sims are looking their age, few people care about dated graphics when the physics and FFB are as sublime as GSC. I'd love to see GSC running on a more modern platform such as Assetto Corsa or rF2..

How does GSC handle wheels with a clutch? All I know is that it's broken in GT5&6 and didn't feel great in iRacing either (been a while since I played it, though). I'd like to play a sim that got a good implementation of the clutch.

TJP

How does GSC handle wheels with a clutch? All I know is that it's broken in GT5&6 and didn't feel great in iRacing either (been a while since I played it, though). I'd like to play a sim that got a good implementation of the clutch.
Should be great as it feels fine with a G27...

TJP

"Currently unavailable" :/
Must have sold out as it was valid when I posted the link; not overly interested in the game myself but was tempted at that price. MotoGP 13 is on the cheap side too.

BTW Just signed back into iRacing for another 3 months. Must've missed me, because it was a deal that only cost me $1.
Only an idiot would refuse to join iRacing for three months for $1. Need some thoughts posted in here once you've played around with iRacing for a while.

Shaneus

Got the same deal, hesitating because driving around in a Mazda with rookies is not my definition for fun.
Did you just get it today? Trying to work out whether it's a deal that appears after X months or it's just something they sent out to all people who hadn't been on for "a while".

Problem is, the enjoyment I get out of sim "racing" isn't the actual racing, it's more improving technique and getting better over some kind of a time trial. Plus, I get the feeling that with an influx of $1 racers, with it will come an influx of dickheads.

PriitV

Did you just get it today? Trying to work out whether it's a deal that appears after X months or it's just something they sent out to all people who hadn't been on for "a while".

Yeah, got it like 12 hours ago. Friend of mine who hadn't subscribed to iR for few years got a yearly sub for $1 a week back, so I guess they're sending them out in waves.

Top Bottom