• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

gZgVcVf.png
71500-laughing-lizard-gif-hehehe-YltH.jpeg

Where'd you guys get that deal?

They send out "please come back" email deals after you unsub. My sub actually lapses tomorrow, and I'm going to wait to see what kind of deal they'll send me rather than pay the regular rate. CotA should be out in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon otherwise I'll totally cave in :)

The only new subscriber deals I've seen recently are these 3 months for 1 deals like VVV has:

http://www.iracing.com/teamvvv/

Spookie

My sub lapsed so anyone who can give me a discount would be a legend. I don't feel like logging in till I get promoted to class C and I can drive the Ruf!

Zeth

Taken from the FB page of Marco Massarutto, licence guy for Kunos (Assetto Corsa) :

Apparently some are unhappy with another Lotus...

This is really saddening. Reading through AC forum posts to see what might be coming in each update often makes me cringe. People are utterly obnoxious sometimes.

Some people who don't understand decimals or software development even rage when the version number is released. (ex 0.7.5 not 0.8?!)

TJP

This is really saddening. Reading through AC forum posts to see what might be coming in each update often makes me cringe. People are utterly obnoxious sometimes.
Bolded the section that defines the internet much of the time...

Sadly, I'm sure the AC guys are now used to a certain type of person; SMS have a very strict policy regarding how to address their staff in the forums and I can understand why.

Jzero

I bought the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel just to try it out. If i like it i'll buy one of the real racing wheels. It would be awesome playing racing games with the Oculus Rift.

Dilly

Banned
1 years iRacing subscription for 1 dollar. Here we go.

Looking through the additional content, I could never justify paying all that money to be honest.

1 years iRacing subscription for 1 dollar. Here we go.

Looking through the additional content, I could never justify paying all that money to be honest.

It won't take you long to realize you're not supposed to feel compelled to buy it like some Forza DLC or something. I think it's a common mistake to look through the paid content store, and think you're supposed be buying all your favorite tracks and cars.

In most cases, you can run the base content all the way to the destination category that interests you, buy that car, and then slowly fill out the tracks at a pace ($$) you're comfortable with.

It's not a collection game. It's not variety game. It's a game where in order to be competitive you need to squeeze all the speed you can out of a very small portion of the total content.

Dilly

Banned
It won't take you long to realize you're not supposed to feel compelled to buy it like some Forza DLC or something. I think it's a common mistake to look through the paid content store, and think you're supposed be buying all your favorite tracks and cars.

In most cases, you can run the base content all the way to the destination category that interests you, buy that car, and then slowly fill out the tracks at a pace ($$) you're comfortable with.

It's not a collection game. It's not variety game. It's a game where in order to be competitive you need to squeeze all the speed you can out of a very small portion of the total content.

Yeah, I agree with that. But even the few tracks I like would get costly fast, and it's weird that the money invested is gone when I don't actually renew my subscription.

disap.ed

Yeah, I agree with that. But even the few tracks I like would get costly fast, and it's weird that the money invested is gone when I don't actually renew my subscription.

You nearly had me, until this :(

Anyway, AC and pCARS fill out my spare time well enough :)

Arucardo

You nearly had me, until this :(

Anyway, AC and pCARS fill out my spare time well enough :)

I think you misread that. What he means is that you can't access it if your subscription ends, so it'll still be there if you decide to renew.

(That is if I didn't misread you, lol)

Watevaman

I keep telling myself I'll buy some stuff from them but I never do. Have they ever gone more than 50% off?

And if you guys can, do you recommend any certain cars or tracks to buy?

Shaneus

Good men :)

Not that anyone needs convincing, but it's a hell of a job considering it's literally just one person whose built it from the ground up. I'm looking forward to it.

Also noticed that release is "mid-2014". This is great news!

Branson

Should be a pretty good iracing update coming tomorrow. BMW, CoTA, Toyota Gen-6, Lucas Oil Raceway(Indy Raceway Park), I want them release notes.

bee

iracing new build is out, release notes are here

nice new sounds in a few of the cars, just about to buy the z4 gt3 and circuit of the americas, think all the are cars on ntm v5 now. brass monkey support is in and works seemlessly, downloaded the app on my phone, started iracing pressed 2 buttons and it was up and running and showing the digital dash, the design of the dash could do with some work though

Spookie

Good lord the new brakes on the C-Spec Ruf are horrible, needs a bit of tweaking as the default setup keeps sending me facing the wrong way.

CoA is fucking lovely though! I can't wait for next season to race it. I'm really going to give it beans over these next couple of months.

bee

iracingsimfxkoh.png

iracingsim12pjs0.png

just bought cota in the end, they gave me $5 for my birthday a little while back so only cost $10, it's exquisitely detailed like all the major new circuits have been recently, not sure about the load times though, track takes 224mb installed on an 840pro and takes 20-30secs to get in game?? other than that i'm happy with it

It's that time again, the Skippy BIG GRID race returns to iRacing.

The live broadcast/commentary should appear here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcOkomFMlvA

My car will be sporting the GAF livery created by Big Takeover - I spotted another GAFer in practice just now using it too. Always a good turnout for this event, and should be a good showcase for the quality of racing on the service.

If anyone wants to watch, the race is scheduled to start at 2110 GMT - under two hours from now. The broadcasts usually start a few minutes before, while qualifying comes to an end.

Just finished quali, I appear to be second fastest but I think there was another split so not sure if I'm 2nd on the grid yet. Somewhere near the sharp end anyway.

My car number is 212, coverage should be starting any minute now. Wish me luck! :)

Zeknurn

That was fun to watch. Well driven. It was pretty great that you were one of the drivers with the most camera time and they did a close zoom in on the gaf logo in a slow turn.

Sweet! Thanks :) That was fun. Will watch it back now. Shame the guy behind me was so racy at the start, the top three started to pull a gap... and then he voice-chatted me to say 'stick behind me, we can catch them'. Anyway he eventually spun out and I caught back up to the lead group, then I thought Paul had damage because he started to fall back, but he told me after the race that he was just holding back because driving in the pack of three was slowing us all down. So I mistakenly didn't push very hard at that stage, then I pitted a lap earlier than Paul, put too much fuel in, disaster all round really.

He also put in too much fuel apparently, but by pitting a lap later he had pulled a gap of about 1.7 seconds by the time I came back around, which just happens to be about where you lose the draft in this car.

So at that point my race was over, had settled for 5th, but then one guy ahead ran out of fuel (I did think his pit stop was extra short!), so that gifted me 4th. A few back-markers for the leaders to deal with towards the end started to bring me closer, but never quite close enough to get back into the draft. A solid 4th, but should have been on the podium had I not put too much fuel in... we don't usually do pitstops on the main Skip Barber series, so I'm not used to them!

Sweet! Thanks :) That was fun. Will watch it back now. Shame the guy behind me was so racy at the start, the top three started to pull a gap... and then he voice-chatted me to say 'stick behind me, we can catch them'. Anyway he eventually spun out and I caught back up to the lead group, then I thought Paul had damage because he started to fall back, but he told me after the race that he was just holding back because driving in the pack of three was slowing us all down. So I mistakenly didn't push very hard at that stage, then I pitted a lap earlier than Paul, put too much fuel in, disaster all round really.

He also put in too much fuel apparently, but by pitting a lap later he had pulled a gap of about 1.7 seconds by the time I came back around, which just happens to be about where you lose the draft in this car.

(So at that point my race was over, had settled for 5th, but then one guy ahead ran out of fuel (I did think his pit stop was extra short!), so that gifted me 4th. A few back-markers for the leaders to deal with towards the end started to bring me closer, but never quite close enough to get back into the draft. A solid 4th, but should have been on the podium had I not put too much fuel in... we don't usually do pitstops on the main Skip Barber series, so I'm not used to them!

Watching right now. I was going to ask why your stop was so long. Ah ha!

Great racing!

Megasoum

Banned
So Shaun Cole (ex ISR) announced this week-end that he's starting his own site/youtube channel called "The SimPit". Here's the news from BSimRacing (dat first sentence hahahaha)

Most Sim Racers probably know Shaun Cole as the very likable sidekick of Darin Gangi from the Inside Sim Racing show. In the end of Last year Shaun left ISR.TV for private reasons that are not know, and probably not of our concern. When Darin Gangi explained that Shaun would no longer be a member of the show, a lot of Sim Racing fanatics expressed their regrets, and judging by the many posts and comments online, it became clear how popular Shaun had become in our little Sim Racing community.

Today a set of interesting photo’s appeared online together with a registered domain with the name “The Simpit”. At this time no details are made public, but it looks like Shaun Cole will start his own Sim Racing Related Show, or Website.

Update: v8sonline recorded a Video interview with Shaun, conforming that “The SimPit” will be a new Sim Racing Show and will be launched very soon. ( Check out the video on the bottom of this article.)

During his Inside Sim Racing period, Shaun has always shown his passion for Sim Racing hardware, and often had a technical in-depth look at the items on review. This might indicate how a Shaun cole show could look, and what to expect from the popular Sim Racing Show host.

Like we stated, it is not yet clear how, what and when “The SimPit” will be, but we can say without a doubt that many people within the Sim Racing Community will welcome the project, whatever it may be, and we are sure it will be more than interesting. Let’s wish him good luck.For those interested in the ” The Simpit” T-Shirt, check out this link.

I'm really happy to see that since, for me, he always was the only good thing at ISR. Especially compared to Darin who has some attitude and ego issues...speaking of which... His first quote in the thread about that news on the ISR forum (the message as been deleted since).

Maybe cause he was very irresponsible in how he did it. I'll let this thread stay, but don't post future content by Shaun Cole or it will be deleted. Sorry but I refuse to support someone who took my personal property, lied and left the way he did.

I have no idea what happened during the breakup but personnally I always liked Shaun and always found Darin to be a drama queen and a bit of an ass so I'll definitly be checking out Sim Pit.

Also I REALLLY hopy the Shaun could get Tommy Haake on board for the new site... He was amazing back in the days on ISR.

I tuned in for that interview, was good to hear from him again. His enthusiasm clearly hasn't wavered - he looked refreshed! Looks like he's constructed a neat little studio space too. More sim coverage always welcome!

As a team they didn't work, Darin's ego made uncomfortable viewing....but on his own Darin is just fine. He's really pleasant to talk to.

It'll be good to see Shaun again, I thought he'd just dissapear.

Megasoum

Banned
As a team they didn't work, Darin's ego made uncomfortable viewing....but on his own Darin is just fine. He's really pleasent to talk too.

It'll be good to see Shaun again, I thought he'd just dissapear.

Well I think he moved back to California so that alone would have keep him occupied for a couple of weeks at least.

Watched an old video of them a while ago and it started with Jessica apologising for mispronunciations and blaming the other two.

I know what they were thinking when hiring her but she turned the show into a cringeworthy pantomime.

Megasoum

Banned
Watched an old video of them a while ago and it started with Jessica apologising for mispronunciations and blaming the other two.

I know what they were thinking when hiring her but she turned the show into a cringeworthy pantomime.

Yup agree. Same with the other lady who did some screen tests at ISR a couple of months ago.

Top Bottom