• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PEGGLE 2 |OT| THE BEST GAME EVER...AGAIN.

Reading about the frame rate issues makes me sad.

I wanted to buy this.

It sucks, but a few frame rate issues aren't going to keep me from buying the game.

What really sucks is the lack of a leaderboard. And local co-op. Those are both glaring oversights. Also, seems like only 5 characters (4 new, 1 returning) is kind of on the light side. They should've at least carried a few over from Peggle 1.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I lament the death of local co-op/multiplayer in general. I just read this in a review and was pretty bummed.

I can understand why a developer might not be able to justify programming stuff like splitscreen in this day and age, but Peggle 1's local multiplayer was turn-based. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would have very difficult to implement the same thing again in the sequel. It's sad to see such an essential part of the Peggle experience skipped over, especially when it's so hard to justify the lack of it.

But maybe if we whine enough it'll end up in a future update. There's still hope.

Shame to see the issues this game is having (no leaderboards, no local co-op, some framrate issue). Hopefully they will be addressed.

I'll still likely be buying it when I get home though, my hype is just too immense

see5harp

Wait no leaderboards or local play? Bought this already but fuck EA seems to have no idea how to make a multiplayer game.

Z3M0G

I will not buy this on ps4 unless they add local multiplayer by then. Wtf... they must be insane. Dont they know why this game is so popular??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How can a 2D game have framerate problems (on any platform)?

WTF is wrong with EA recently.
Seriously. The Xbox One may have its weaknesses, but come on, LOOK at this game. This is something an iPhone should be able to run at 60 fps without even breaking a sweat. It's really pretty pathetic, honestly.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I forgot how addictive this game is. Hard to stop playing.

Also killing required demos :(

I heard it's because developers complained because demos have to go through a separate certification.

bryehn

Yup. that's Peggle crack alright. Crashed once on me starting the 3rd set of levels and the game chugs really bad when the freeze power is activated.

Can anyone tell me what a "cool catch" style shot is?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Yup. that's Peggle crack alright. Crashed once on me starting the 3rd set of levels and the game chugs really bad when the freeze power is activated.

Can anyone tell me what a "cool catch" style shot is?

Pushing a peg into the the catcher with the freeze power I think.

see5harp

I like a developer friendly environment where patching is free and devs don't need to adhere to strict requirements but it's obvious certain devs like ea needed them.

Leaderboards don't really bother me, and hell, local multiplayer doesn't bum me out too much.

But only 5 masters? Really? So, more money for less content, and what will surely be paid DLC coming that will just raise the cost more for the same amount of content? That pisses me off.

DirtyLarry

Thought this was a Day 1, but common sense is prevailing and since I have yet to even check out Ryse or Dead Rising 3 and own both, I am going to hold off and wait until I need something to play. I think at least. Peggle might trump them both.
No local MP really is a bummer though, thought I finally might have something my wife also would want to play (she is not a big gamer at all).

see5harp

and required leaderboards, clearly

It's strange that there is some sort of metadata outside of games still. I notice stuff like "x number of combo breakers" and that sort of stuff just going through the activity feed, which is nice but in a game like this and score chasers a straight up place for leaderboards without having to launch the game is what made XBLA so good last gen. I think one angry Jonathan Blow is worth that nicety.

EDIT: as sad as I am about the state of EA published titles right now, I feel like this game will be the first game where everyone on my list will be using the XBOX record that function. Cannot wait to watch videos from my feed.

mjc

How does Popcap put out a simple 2D game with framerate issues and lacking features? Christ.

Has anyone else ever gotten a light motion sickness from playing Peggle? I have in the past I think, just nausea. And I don't get motion sickness from anything else.

A friend of mine reckons it can't be played offline as it doesn't load for him if he's not online. Anyone else had that issue?

hawk2025

No local multiplayer, terrible framerate issues particularly in the multi, endless dropped games and failures of smart match, no leaderboards, overscan with no way to adjust the screen size.

I feel cheated out of $12.

At least the new challenge levels are a silver lining to the package.

ChrisV

Well, I was so excited for this, but I just played through, for a couple hours. The amount of masters is extremely disappointing. I almost wish I held off until the inevitable DLC cash grab when I could have grabbed the full game. It only feels like it's halfway done.

Gangxxter

zw7qGJF.gif

Oh my God, it doesn't stop growing! :O

hawk2025

Well, I was so excited for this, but I just played through, for a couple hours. The amount of masters is extremely disappointing. I almost wish I held off until the inevitable DLC cash grab when I could have grabbed the full game. It only feels like it's halfway done.

It's absolutely halfway done.

They also announced 120 levels, but did not clarify that half of them are 1 or 2 shots challenges. I figured those would be extra.

Oh man. If I only had an Xbox One... Is this a timed exclusive, or "only on Xbox" for good?

I'm a bit of a... Peggle-freak. A Peglodyte, if you will.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My theory is that the game was rushed out the door, possibly to meet some deadline imposed by the exclusive launch agreement with Microsoft. That would definitely explain performance issues and inexplicably missing features. It's not like EA has a problem with releasing unfinished games.

It's shitty regardless of the explanation, but hopefully that means these things will be patched into the game, and fixed in the other versions. I still feel left out in the rain without a 'Bone and this game, though.

Lé Blade Runner;93071386 said:
Oh man. If I only had an Xbox One... Is this a timed exclusive, or "only on Xbox" for good?

I'm a bit of a... Peggle-freak. A Peglodyte, if you will.

Timed of course. Expect this to be on everything from iOS to toasters within a year.

Haklong

Yah, was bummed out about the no leaderboards, no local multiplayer and framerate issues but after watching that vid, it just reaffirms that you can't beat dat Peggle magic.

I had fun with it this morning before I went to work. No worry, EA will add leaderboards and local multiplayer for the low, low, price of $9.99.

DirtyLarry

Totally contradicting myself above, I went to perhaps purchase the game on XBox.com. Am I missing something? Can we not purchase XBox One games on XBox.com at all? I also opened the Smart Glass app, and see nothing there either?
Someone please tell me the painfully obvious thing I am missing? There has to be a way to purchase One content while not at home?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Totally contradicting myself above, I went to perhaps purchase the game on XBox.com. Am I missing something? Can we not purchase XBox One games on XBox.com at all? I also opened the Smart Glass app, and see nothing there either?
Someone please tell me the painfully obvious thing I am missing? There has to be a way to purchase One content while not at home?

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/

Sordid

I bought it from this link earlier on my phone, it worked fine: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Peggle-2/efd011ea-47b6-4b61-9e86-08063a3e1cfa

It didn't auto download though, I had to start the download on my Xbox when I got home.

Gowans

Mrs is hogging the console tonight.

The Mrs is doing my head in asking where the leaderboard is while replaying levels to make sure she's top of her friends.

How do I get the leaderboards on???

Top Bottom