• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
This is the reason why Penn State's football team should get the death penalty , their delusional students have no sympathy for the children that were victimized by Sandusky and are willing to protect the Statue of the man that turned a blind eye and let Sandusky run wild.

Xeke

Banned
This is the reason why Penn State's football team should get the death penalty , their delusional students have no sympathy for the children that were victimized by Sandusky and are willing to protect the Statue of the man that turned a blind eye and let Sandusky run wild.

The Penn State football program generates 50,000,000 a year while the rest of the athletic programs generate 30,000,000 a year. The football program supports the rest of the athletic programs that couldn't survive on their own. By eliminating the football program you would not only cost many of their jobs but cripple the economey of an entire city. Imagine how much money stores, hotels, gas stations and restaurants would lose due to the lack of Penn State sports.

Are you really so hoping for vengeance that you would destroy the economey of a city in these times to see it?

FyreWulff

The Penn State football program generates 50,000,000 a year while the rest of the athletic programs generate 30,000,000 a year. The football program supports the rest of the athletic programs that couldn't survive on their own. By eliminating the football program you would not only cost many of their jobs but cripple the economey of an entire city. Imagine how much money stores, hotels, gas stations and restaurants would lose due to the lack of Penn State sports.

Are you really so hoping for vengeance that you would destroy the economey of a city in these times to see it?

Those gas stations, hotels, and restaurants are making their money off the backs of abused kids.

Too bad for them. Penn State, as a university, will be fine. This blackmail bullshit doesn't really hold water with me, though.

Xeke

Banned
Those gas stations, hotels, and restaurants are making their money off the backs of abused kids.

Too bad for them. Penn State, as a university, will be fine. This blackmail bullshit doesn't really hold water with me, though.

Holy sh...I don't even know where to begin. First of all abused kids or no abused kids it wouldn't change the football program. Kids being abused isn't benefiting these businesses at all, in fact it is hurting them.

You're saying 'too bad' for people who had nothing to do with the scandal like you could give two shits who loses their livelihood.

FyreWulff

Holy sh...I don't even know where to begin. First of all abused kids or no abused kids it wouldn't change the football program.

Paterno and the rest of the enablers traded a small downturn from turning in Sandusky in the first place, which they would have weathered and come back from, from EXPLICITLY choosing to bury the news so they would never be impacted negatively, because they were so afraid of their image being impacted.

In choosing to choose their own wallets over kids lives, they went from a minor setback to a nuclear explosion.

Death penalty the program.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

How many children would you allow to be raped to save that economy? That was a choice Joe had.

Cyan

Banned

The "death penalty" in college football isn't a permanent measure. It means that the program is disbanded for, like, one or two seasons. Then they get to start again.

daegan

Yes.

Look, they had the chance to do the right thing and when staring their cash cow in the face refused to.

All of those businesses and people who make their living and profit from that program helped foster and build a delusional culture that valued football quite literally over everything. They deserve to be gutted, not just so they need to te prioritize but to be made an example of as well.

greepoman

How many children would you allow to be raped to save that economy? That was a choice Joe had.

Even better...ask these people how much money it would take for them to give up their own child to be raped? Actually do I really want to know the answer to that?

Margalis

Banned
Using a "too big to fail" argument for a college football program is a bit laughable.

No city should get to the place where a single college sports program being justly punished destroys the economy. One of the major reasons for this mess in first place was the undue importance placed on football to the point where abusing kids was no big deal as long as the team did decently.

TheNatural

My Member!
There's going to be no 'death penalty' from the NCAA. If the DOE wants to get involved and cut football financial aid that's up to them.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This is like that really bad episode of south park in which spears is sacrificed by the community to improve harvest. Except it's real, and it's child rape.

What kind of fucked up community is this? Any normal place would have half of the community rioting until these guys were in jail.

TheNatural

My Member!
This is like that really bad episode of south park in which spears is sacrificed by the community to improve harvest. Except it's real, and it's child rape.

What kind of fucked up community is this? Any normal place would have half of the community rioting until these guys were in jail.

I doubt it to be honest. I think about all the fucking crazy fanbases in sports and the fanatics will make any excuse to defend one of their 'legends' no matter what they do. If this exact scenario happened at Bama or wherever, I sincerely doubt many would act any differently.

Cyan

Banned
I doubt it to be honest. I think about all the fucking crazy fanbases in sports and the fanatics will make any excuse to defend one of their 'legends' no matter what they do. If this exact scenario happened at Bama or wherever, I sincerely doubt many would act any differently.

He said "any normal place." :p

Korey

Then that city should rely less on the college football program so that things like child molestation and rape aren't covered up.

TheNatural

My Member!
He said "any normal place." :p

True. But what is normal in college football? I can see any diehard place doing this. Then again, there was only one Paterno in terms of longevity and all time wins in college football, so there's no one else to even compare this to if a current coach got in a big time scandal. Frank Beamer maybe? Hell he's the only major active coach that got his start before the late 90's.

Talon

Then that city should rely less on the college football program so that things like child molestation and rape aren't covered up.
Well it's the middle of nowhere. You actually have to drive a few hours from the nearest airport.

There's no doubt that the college football program is a huge economic driver in that town. Hotels in town go for midtown Manhattan prices on game weeks.

I understand the outrage, but I do think that a death penalty punishes the wrong people - the townspeople and the students that were not the ones that directly enabled this monster.

There are punishments that can be more productive, such as pulling football revenue into a separate fund. Penn State was proactive in this regard with the bowl game money from last season, donating $1.1 million to the Center for the Protection of Children. Not to mention the $6.5 million they paid for the outside investigator (Freeh) to dig into how badly they fucked up.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Dude, aside from a few crazies, Saban would be a dead man if he was found to be a molester-enabler.

And if you say that is just because Saban hasn't been there that long, I think the exact same about if Bobby Bowden were found to have been a molester-enabler.

Bobby Bowden had basically the same accomplishments and importance as Joe Paterno, but I just don't see there being nearly the same level of denial if he were found to have done what Paterno did.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If there isn't some sort of sanctions against Penn State, then where will the line truly be drawn?

Take the damn statue down and give them the death penalty for one season. Will there be an economic hit for the school? Yes. But the whole cult of personality thing is disgusting, and that one man held so much power symbolizes a lack of institutional control.

This is such bullshit.

But to quote Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dude, aside from a few crazies, Saban would be a dead man if he was found to be a molester-enabler.

And if you say that is just because Saban hasn't been there that long, I think the exact same about if Bobby Bowden were found to have been a molester-enabler.

Bobby Bowden had basically the same accomplishments and importance as Joe Paterno, but I just don't see there being nearly the same level of denial if he were found to have done what Paterno did.

I doubt it.

Just as disgusting as the Penn State behavior regarding this scandal, is the behavior going on at the Rutgers & Pittsburgh boards on this issue.

The majority of their "supposed disgust" regarding Penn State can be boiled down to, "If Penn State goes down, we stand to benefit big time."

Let's be honest, all fan bases don't give a shit about the kids. It's all about watching a car crash, or the direct effect that removing one tent pole team will have on the distribution of recruits throughout college football.

Cyan

Banned
Much as I like car crashes, I have to disagree with you on this one, Popo.

Your outlook on humanity appears to be much bleaker than mine.

Much as I like car crashes, I have to disagree with you on this one, Popo.

Your outlook on humanity appears to be much bleaker than mine.

No, my overall outlook on humanity is fairly positive. Even with bible thumping types, so long as they are like AB.

On the other hand, I have a bleak view of the humanity of Rivals.com, Scout.com, & 247sports.com message board posters.

They are the douchebros of the internet.

Cheerilee

studentpaterno.jpg

Foolish little child-rape-enabler-defender, the terrorists have already shown that they have access to aircraft.

Do you really think your little cell phone will protect you from a hijacked crop duster?

That statue's days are numbered. You're just prolonging the inevitable. Do yourself a favor and take it down first. Get some sleep in a real bed. Maybe with a girl. Or a guy, if that's your thing. In any case, remember not to rape them.

Blondie

Neo Member
Those poor, poor locals who just had nothing to do with it and shouldn't be harmed by the quest for justice...

The torturous, winding path of Sandusky's 'Victim 1'

"From the first time we met,"
Gillum said, "he was fearful that he would be killed. He believed that Jerry Sandusky could have him killed."

There is no evidence that Sandusky made such a threat, but Gillum said the boy's extreme fear, along with anonymous threats delivered by telephone and letter after his name was linked to the investigation, set in motion elaborate plans by Clinton County, Pa., youth authorities to relocate the victim and his mother if their safety was put at risk.

"This was Jerry Sandusky we're talking about here," Gillum said of the former coach who was described by an official at the victim's school as possessing a "heart of gold," and who once patrolled the sidelines of the nearby football cathedral that is Penn State's Beaver Stadium.

The public backlash, Gillum said, was almost immediate and jarring. Within weeks, the boy's mother reported to state investigators that she was confronted in a Lock Haven business by an unhappy local resident who had learned that her son had been linked to the allegations triggering Sandusky's removal as a volunteer.

The child's identity spread rapidly through the community, the psychologist said, making him and his mother the target of harassment — and ultimately threats of harm — by locals upset that Sandusky had been dismissed from the school.

School officials did not respond to requests for comment.

From his initial meetings with the boy, Gillum said, it became clear, based on the victim's fear and the community's anger, that extraordinary steps were needed to protect him and his mother.

"We started putting a (witness) relocation plan together almost from the first week," Gillum said, adding that an undisclosed sum of county money was dedicated to the effort. "There was huge fear."

Anticipating the media onslaught, the county activated one of its three relocation plans, financing the move of mother and victim to a rental home in a local neighborhood. Gillum said the victim's mother added two "large" guard dogs to patrol the fenced-in yard, and a state police detail was placed on call in the event of trouble.

"The state police were very helpful," he said.

School, however, was a different story.

Tense encounters with fellow students after the release of the graphic grand jury report led to the victim's transfer midway through the school year.

Gillum said the move became necessary after some students, angered that the allegations would taint Penn State and the reign of legendary coach Joe Paterno, began making physical threats against his young client.

The timing of the move meant he would be preparing to graduate from a new high school and testify against the former Penn State icon at the same time.

In the end he had to graduate from a different high school due to the harassment and physical threats against him...

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Horseshit. I said this many, many pages ago. If the underlying situation here, the rape of children, had occurred at Bama during Bryant's time, there would have been a coverup, but it would have been the coverup of the murder of whichever coach that was involved by the Bear.

Other than Bryant, no other coach here has had the longevity to secure a power base like Paterno had.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.freep.com/article/201207...ndusky-sex?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Interesting (potential) developments in the Penn State case coming out from the Chronicle of Higher Education today.

• The Chronicle reports that an unidentified Big Ten "leader" said the conference could revoke Penn State's membership in the wake of the child sex abuse scandal that has shaken the football program.

• The Chronicle also said that the Big Ten is mulling a proposal that could give commissioner Jim Delany the power to fire coaches, administrators, etc. at member schools, should their actions "significantly harm the league's reputation." (National media members aren't impressed by that idea.)

• The Chronicle also reports that the Big Ten has no contingency plan should Penn State be banned from playing football in this or future seasons -- i.e. get the NCAA death penalty.

LosDaddie

Banned
On the other hand, I have a bleak view of the humanity of Rivals.com, Scout.com, & 247sports.com message board posters.

They are the douchebros of the internet.

Indeed.
From my experience posting on a Rivals board, they are just a couple steps away from being Stormfront.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As I was reading this awful thread in a cafe, that Gary Glitter song started playing. I feel bad for laughing.

Just think of the alternate reality where these guys just tossed him out right away to the wolves, took the hit and rebuilt with dignity. They would've been seen as heroes and given...well, just as much support as they're given now...

Cyan

Banned
Horseshit. I said this many, many pages ago. If the underlying situation here, the rape of children, had occurred at Bama during Bryant's time, there would have been a coverup, but it would have been the coverup of the murder of whichever coach that was involved by the Bear.

Other than Bryant, no other coach here has had the longevity to secure a power base like Paterno had.

I'm sure Penn St fans would've said the same thing before this broke.

Which is not to say that you're necessarily wrong, just that you don't know that. You really don't know what Bryant was like, just the legend and aura that surrounds him. And you can't take that as strong evidence of anything but his great skill as a football coach.

This is exactly what caused Penn St fans to riot when JoePa was fired. He was considered practically a goddamn saint--there was no way JoePa would tolerate such horrors. Not at his school!

Draxal

I doubt it.

Just as disgusting as the Penn State behavior regarding this scandal, is the behavior going on at the Rutgers & Pittsburgh boards on this issue.

The majority of their "supposed disgust" regarding Penn State can be boiled down to, "If Penn State goes down, we stand to benefit big time."

Let's be honest, all fan bases don't give a shit about the kids. It's all about watching a car crash, or the direct effect that removing one tent pole team will have on the distribution of recruits throughout college football.

I wouldn't describe the Rutgers boards like that, I would more describe it people linking posts from BWI and freaking out nonstop, or crazy posts by the crazy people there (man that one guy makes RutgersAl look sane).

But yeah, I mean we all kinda empathize about the kids (now adults), but they are nameless for a reason, and the results of the punishment will be more visible to us.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm sure Penn St fans would've said the same thing before this broke.

Which is not to say that you're necessarily wrong, just that you don't know that. You really don't know what Bryant was like, just the legend and aura that surrounds him. And you can't take that as strong evidence of anything but his great skill as a football coach.

This is exactly what caused Penn St fans to riot when JoePa was fired. He was considered practically a goddamn saint--there was no way JoePa would tolerate such horrors. Not at his school!

I think that other than their positions as "legendary" football coaches, Bryant and Paterno had very, very different reputations off the field.

I'm probably the minority here but honestly I don't think paternal deserves the scrutiny he is getting. He made a mistake. Let's be honest, if paterno did report this 10 years ago would there really be a difference in the outcome? I'm sure people would have still hated on paterno. Penn state would also be condemned lie it is now. I guess paterno was just delaying the inevitable. I guess he Would rather not be alive than to witness the scrutiny he is getting right now.

I think the children who were sexually assaulted are also to be blamed. Why not report the incident after it happened? What about the school officials?

Fact is that most people would like to keep quiet to prevent trouble and save their own image. It's psychology (the bystandard effect) and human nature. I highly doubt anyone of us would have the courage to report on Sandusky as well, as much as we like to think we would.

Cyan

Banned
I'm probably the minority here but honestly I don't think paternal deserves the scrutiny he is getting. He made a mistake. Let's be honest, if paterno did report this 10 years ago would there really be a difference in the outcome? I'm sure people would have still hated on paterno. Penn state would also be condemned lie it is now. I guess paterno was just delaying the inevitable. I guess he Would rather not be alive than to witness the scrutiny he is getting right now.

I think the children who were sexually assaulted are also to be blamed. Why not report the incident after it happened? What about the school officials?

Fact is that most people would like to keep quiet to prevent trouble and save their own image. It's psychology (the bystandard effect) and human nature. I highly doubt anyone of us would have the courage to report on Sandusky as well, as much as we like to think we would.

Joke post? I'm going to look the other way, Paterno-style, and pretend this is a joke post. That way I don't have to believe the worst of humanity.

I think that other than their positions as "legendary" football coaches, Bryant and Paterno had very, very different reputations off the field.

I know basically nothing about Bryant, so you certainly could be right. I just feel like it's harmful to pretend there's something totally unique about Penn St, and this wouldn't have happened anywhere else.

rft.gif

Wow.

You said the children are to blame.

Seriously, wtf.

Well read the sentence after that. Why didnt they report the incident? I'm sure they have a working mouth like paterno. I guess the "innocence" factor is really keeping the 10-15 year olds out of the discussion, but in reality they had as much power as paterno to put an end to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom