• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you understand what you're talking about. It's not "absurd" or "devoid of logic".

Make a counter point to why that person would retain his job when the business or stadium is no longer going to need extra employees?

I was responding to the bit about how the guy was basically earning money on the back of child rape.

I think that's a long bow, and quite unfair.

You're right. It is easy. Should tell you something.

...but not everyone getting hit are a child rape enabler lovers?

That's my only issue here but like Sanjoro said...tough titty. No one solution is perfect.

But it isn't as cut and dry as most of yall think it is.

People are all like "meh so what if that guy loses his job...sucks for him".

I wonder if they'd feel the same if they were Joe Pizza Guy?

But whatever. I doubt the NCAA will have the balls in this case. They only step in when a guy is getting tattoos or escalades.

Can't have that.

Cyan

Banned
I DEMAND YOU EDIT YOUR POST MRE.

OTHERWISE I WILL TEAR DOWN THE STATUE THAT YOU ERECTED OF YOURSELF IN THE SANDUSKY-AGE THREAD.

Nooooooo!

Just took a picture of me with the mre statue, in your face hater!

3WWKY.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have to admit I like the statue coming down for all the wrong reasons. Well, maybe some of the right ones too, of course.

I hate so deeply that athletics could become so powerful at a university that a university president would be subjugated to a football coach.

Death penalty, please. Sorry, Penn State alumni and fans...an example must be made. Let all universities know who must ultimately be responsible.
My thoughts exactly.

SkyOdin

I don't think he's referring to sports. The vast majority of PSU's income comes from tuition, grants & appropriations, and the medical center. Football revenue is a drop in the bucket.

Considering this, it is in the University's best interest to get rid of their football program for a few years.

The source of a University's success is its reputation. A famous school with a good reputation will attract more, richer, students. Thus, a University with a prestigious reputation is in a position to make more off of Tuition than a similar, less prestigious school. This is why the higher-ups at Penn State were so desperate to keep this atrocity under-wraps.

At this point though, the football program's crimes have been made public and the damage to the school's reputation has already been done. It is in the University's best interest to do everything they can to recover their good name, and as such, they should purge their management of those responsible and suck up the short term loss from eliminating their football program for a few years.

Unfortunately for Penn State, the people in charge are either too caught up in Paterno worship, or too concerned with covering up their own asses to even look at things from a cold cost-benefit analysis, let alone do the right thing. Leaving that statue up and keeping the football program will do more damage to the school long term than the alternative.

SerRodrik

Obviously the Penn State culture is all fixed. Nothing more to do over there.

Yep, clearly. "THIS IS A WITCH HUNT! MCCARTHYISM! RAAAAGH!!!"

That's why more needs to be done. Pull down the statue and kill the football program. Because those fucks don't get it.

Those fucks still won't get it. Sigh.

CorvoSol

Yep, clearly. "THIS IS A WITCH HUNT! MCCARTHYISM! RAAAAGH!!!"

That's why more needs to be done. Pull down the statue and kill the football program. Because those fucks don't get it.

Those fucks still won't get it. Sigh.

The fact that they compared their worship of Joe Paterno to the worship of Jesus Christ was . . . unsettling. I don't recall any evidence indicating that the Apostles were pedophiles, and I'm pretty sure that "Suffer the Children" doesn't mean what Jerry Sandusky would've meant by it.

Yeah I just have to stop and say that this is an idiotic statement.
Sorry, I come from a school where honor is considered so vital to leadership that if you so much as lie, cheat, or steal, or cover up for someone who did, you get kicked out. I think if someone got caught tolerating a guy's 40 counts of child rape he'd probably be fired out of a cannon into the Hudson River.

The fact that they compared their worship of Joe Paterno to the worship of Jesus Christ was . . . unsettling. I don't recall any evidence indicating that the Apostles were pedophiles, and I'm pretty sure that "Suffer the Children" doesn't mean what Jerry Sandusky would've meant by it.

Well, there is a connection, but not the one they'd like...

remnant

Banned
I have to admit I like the statue coming down for all the wrong reasons. Well, maybe some of the right ones too, of course.

I hate so deeply that athletics could become so powerful at a university that a university president would be subjugated to a football coach.

Death penalty, please. Sorry, Penn State alumni and fans...an example must be made. Let all universities know who must ultimately be responsible.
This logic is kind of the reason i don't support the death penalty. Is it about bringing closure to the situation or is it about slamming the role of sports in college? If it's the latter than the NCAA shouldn't do the death penalty. The death penalty is around to maintain fair compeition, not criticize sports culture.

I wasn't suggesting you remove it, just that we all keep perspective on what one can pretty easily find on the internet.

I decided to remove it to protect the stupid kid from himself. He had stuff on his photo feed that would make it too easy for people to make his life hell. I would't want to be a party to that, even unintentionally, just because he's dumb.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yep. First question I would ask of someone with Penn State '12, '13, '14, or '15 on a résumé is "Why didn't you organize to have the statue removed?" It's a trick question, because I don't care, you're not getting hired.

Yeah, he really should have included all alumni and employees.

Um, WTF? So now all PSU graduates are guilty and to be discriminated against?

Really?

Over reacting much? I don't get hateful people sometimes...

Forever

Banned
Um, WTF? So now all PSU graduates are guilty and to be discriminated against?

Really?

Over reacting much? I don't get hateful people sometimes...

They had an opportunity to take action but turned out to be either cowards or worse. If it is fear of consequences that motivates them to keep their silence, then it is only right and rational to provide consequences for keeping that silence so as to discourage similar behavior from happening again.

If they're just child rape apologists, well then nothing else needs to be said.

This logic is kind of the reason i don't support the death penalty. Is it about bringing closure to the situation or is it about slamming the role of sports in college? If it's the latter than the NCAA shouldn't do the death penalty. The death penalty is around to maintain fair compeition, not criticize sports culture.

And yet McQueary used the fact that they had never been investigated as a way to leverage influence over potential recruits for the team.

The death penalty WOULD maintain fair competition. It's not simply about the NCAA "sticking it" to Penn State and for no other reason. Penn State gained an unfair advantage over other universities for several years because of this cover-up. The death penalty is "punishment + interest" to bring to pull them down to the level where they belong.

remnant

Banned
And yet McQueary used the fact that they had never been investigated as a way to leverage influence over potential recruits for the team.

The death penalty WOULD maintain fair competition. It's not simply about the NCAA "sticking it" to Penn State and for no other reason. Penn State gained an unfair advantage over other universities for several years because of this cover-up. The death penalty is "punishment + interest" to bring to pull them down to the level where they belong.

Which every school does. This is like saying a cruise advertises the fact they are on water.

Penn State is still having a good recruitment season with top 20 guys, because people want to work with the coach and infrastructure there that can get them into the NFL. They changed their marketing and are still doing well so what's the point of the death penalty?

I mean, how can you determine where Penn State belongs? They haven't won shit in years but many of their players have done what is most important to college athletes and that is become professional. That is what Penn State sells itself on. If it was solely lack of NCAA violations than half the top 25 wouldn't be recrutiing shit at all. USC, Texas, Miami, Ohio St etc etc would struggle to stay competitive.

I mean, how can you determine where Penn State belongs? They haven't won shit in years but many of their players have done what is most important to college athletes and that is become professional. That is what Penn State sells itself on. If it was solely lack of NCAA violations than half the top 25 wouldn't be recrutiing shit at all. USC, Texas, Miami, Ohio St etc etc would struggle to stay competitive.

This is such a silly argument. Nobody is saying it was "solely lack of NCAA violations."

Nobody was saying it was solely the free tattoos that attracted kids to Ohio State either.

Mengy

Looks like the Statue is coming down today:

uQenD.AuSt.42.jpg

As the sun comes up, statue of Paterno comes down...

Penn State workers and 30 police officers arrived shortly after dawn today to remove the controversial bronze statue of the late football coach beside Beaver Stadium. A line of university police officers stood in front of the statue and then moved across Porter Road to shield the statue area.

A flatbed truck drove up with scaffolding. University police directed media to go across the street from the statue as workers set up. Police closed off Porter Road between Curtin Road and Park Avenue.

At 6:20 a.m. workers began constructing a metal fence around the statue area, linking segments then hanging blue tarps to screen the statue from view...

watershed

Banned
When was the decision to remove the statue made? And was it publicly? I thought there were calls for it to be taken down but no actual movement in that direction.

SyNapSe

Doing it without notice at 6 a.m. on a Sunday. 30 police officers. They must have really thought there would be a riot if announced.

Mengy

Doing it without notice at 6 a.m. on a Sunday. 30 police officers. They must have really thought there would be a riot if announced.

And sadly, they were probably right. It was a good move IMHO.

watershed

Banned

Oh wow, now that's an interesting approach. The reactions will be crazy for sure.

Saw this quote, as the last line of the article:
Signs at the foot of the statue supported Paterno and keeping the statue in place, including “We Stand By Joe” and “There is Nothing More Frightful than Ignorance in Action.”
Can someone explain the bolded to me? I don't get how that works in support of keeping the statue.

bro1

Banned
It was smart. Bars close at 2am and after parties usually wrap up at4am. Everybody is sleeping their hangover off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is that Penn State hopes this will be enough "punishment."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom