• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

remnant

Banned
Oh no don't get me wrong. It will happen it just isn't going to destroy Penn state football or whatever. At best you can fuck some kids over for maybe 5 years.

edit: Kids as in Penn state players

The sculptor is all assed up about his statue possibly being taken down.

"I think we should all wait on it. Put a cover on it," Angelo Di Maria said. "Let's see how everyone feels in six months ... or a year."
"Are they going to be satisfied with just a halo? Are they going to remove the whole painting? The library? Should they tear that down? Isn't that a tribute, a monument to Joe Paterno, also," he asked. "A lot of people aren't putting things into perspective right now."
"We must consider, I don't mean to make a comparison, but the kids that were attached to all the good, the good legacy that Joe Paterno left behind, are they becoming victims in their own respect by stripping them of this joy, of this experience with Joe Paterno," he asked. "The statue, everything that's associated with them in a positive way, do we have to pay attention to them also?

"Or should we just throw everything away that Joe Paterno ever did in a positive way?"

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-07-20/paterno-statue-sculptor-wants-decision-to-wait

The thing I don't get from both sides mind you is that...

it's just a fucking statue.

Taking it down isn't gonna punish anyone.

and if it's not there it's not like all your memories of the dude will be taken away too.

In the end its just a statue of a very flawed old man.

I feel like people are wasting time worrying if it gets taken down or not.

Does it really matter that much?

"We must consider, I don't mean to make a comparison, but the kids that were attached to all the good, the good legacy that Joe Paterno left behind, are they becoming victims in their own respect by stripping them of this joy, of this experience with Joe Paterno," he asked. "The statue, everything that's associated with them in a positive way, do we have to pay attention to them also?

"Or should we just throw everything away that Joe Paterno ever did in a positive way?"

We're not talking about a guy who hit a kid, or a guy who cheated on his wife, or a guy who was caught smoking weed on campus. We are talking about a guy who enabled a child rapist for more than a decade. So yes, this absolutely overrides all the good stuff he did on the side of enabling child rape to occur.

and if it's not there it's not like all your memories of the dude will be taken away too.

I think it's mostly about what the action (or inaction) represents. Taking it down means the university's higher ups are finally shaking off their belief that Paterno is untouchable and that the culture of unconditional worship has to stop. Keeping it means the university is still going to try to preserve the long-term memory as one that effectively ignores this incident, and that's completely disrespectful to all the victims that had this happen to them.

In the end it's just a pile of metal, but whether it goes or stays speaks a lot about the culture of the university and how people are reacting on it.

"A lot of people aren't putting things into perspective right now."

Fuck you, you asshole. I hope some drunk saws the statue's head off and throws it at your door step.

235px-SimpsonsMPG_7G07.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Symbolism is at the heart of Penn States problems. Tearing down those symbols will help reset values.

I just meant it in the sense that people are really extreme (yes it is warranted) about their opinions and sometimes it comes across as disgenuine. I'm not trying to start anymore fights.

I would agree with this. It's frustrating that we can't articulate this line of argument without people taking it out of context and overreacting, so I understand what you're saying.

Emotion needs to be removed from the decision-making process at Penn State (this goes both ways) so I understand them waiting until the media interest wanes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
People lining up around the block to take a picture with the statue.

What is wrong with people?

AyRsH9dCQAEyXOm.jpg:large

I'm a PSU grad and I have loved and respected JoePa for most of my life, but damn thats ridiculous. Ostrich's with their heads in the sand. Who wants their picture taken next to a statue of a man who did what he did? JoePa did a hell of a lot of good things, but he allowed a child rapist to keep on raping kids simply because it was beneficial for himself and his legacy. No man like that deserves a statue....

I have to admit I like the statue coming down for all the wrong reasons. Well, maybe some of the right ones too, of course.

I hate so deeply that athletics could become so powerful at a university that a university president would be subjugated to a football coach.

Death penalty, please. Sorry, Penn State alumni and fans...an example must be made. Let all universities know who must ultimately be responsible.

Agreed. :(

Cyan

Banned
I would agree with this. It's frustrating that we can't articulate this line of argument without people taking it out of context and overreacting, so I understand what you're saying.

Emotion needs to be removed from the decision-making process at Penn State (this goes both ways) so I understand them waiting until the media interest wanes.

Emotion on the Penn St side will never be removed entirely. Not for years, at least.

Which means if we wait until emotion cools on the other side, when people stop paying so much attention, it will default to things staying more or less in worship-JoePa mode.

In short, I disagree. Changes need to happen while there's still strong emotion on a national level to bring pressure to bear on PSU.

Don't you think they'd still worship him regardless of a statue being there or not?

Hell I can see then NCCA dropping the hammer leading to more woe is me...we are being persecuted nonsense.

This decision is very interesting in seeing how people react. I have no idea what actually should be done since both sides have a point (It is crazy how cult like shit is...and yet nuking the program would also nuke the happy valley economy).

This is a situation in which one side will be pissed and fcuked over in the end.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Changed my mind to them keeping the statue up. Worse men still have statues everywhere (ex. our slave owning presidents).

Are you saying that shielding child rapists is acceptable in our modern society?

That comparison doesn't make any fucking sense.

So let's rule in favor of the side that has not supported a child rape enabler.

That would be easy but how about the business owners and students(who don't necessarily supports a child rape enabler) who are caught in the crossfire?

It would be great if PSU getting the hammer would lead to people changing their cultist ways and perhaps finally realizing how fucked up things are but honestly I'd think that would lead to even more cult like behavior because they'd be the ones getting "punished" in their minds.

But the ones who have nothing to do with it, could lose their jobs, have to uproot and move (not always that easy), and potentially it could kill the school.

Sure, it would make the "FUCK DEM BITCHES" crowd happy but what of the students ho aren't insane or the dudes and dudettes trying to make a living?

I know this entire situation is fucked up and someone must pay but does the ones who have to pay have to be the one who have nothing to do with it? Sandusky is in jail. Paterno died knowing he probably fucked up everything he built. Hopefully everyone else involved gets fucked in someway too. But those guys won't be effected by any punishments against the school...because they are all gone.

and yet I wouldn't be mad if the school did get hit but it's just that I don't think it will have the effect some of you think it will. Mainly the people who need to pay won't be the ones greatly effected by it.

Maybe there is a better way?
I like Saban's solution of the football proceeds going towards the family's effected.

who knows, I just want to see the outcome at this point.

Sanjuro

Sure, it would make the "FUCK DEM BITCHES" crowd happy but what of the students ho aren't insane or the dudes and dudettes trying to make a living?

They are going to have to suffer. Find new schools and jobs. It's lousy, but not doing anything is following the same trend that got them into this entire mess.

Cyan

Banned
But the ones who have nothing to do with it, could lose their jobs, have to uproot and move (not always that easy), and potentially it could kill the school.
I like Saban's solution of the football proceeds going towards the family's effected.

If football getting the death penalty would kill the school, it would be because of lost money. In which case, all football proceeds going to the families would have exactly the same effect.

They are going to have to suffer. Find new schools and jobs. It's lousy, but not doing anything is following the same trend that got them into this entire mess.

Yeah I guess.

There really isn't a perfect way to do this.

You don't and the idiots don't learn.

You do and the innocent are punished too (and the idiots may still not learn...lol).

Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

If football getting the death penalty would kill the school, it would be because of lost money. In which case, all football proceeds going to the families would have exactly the same effect.

Not necessarily...but I was mainly talking about the businesses who benefit from the insane income of people. But I see your point...like I said no perfect solution.

Changed my mind to them keeping the statue up. Worse men still have statues everywhere (ex. our slave owning presidents).

Not in any way comparable. If a president had a hidden slave today or covered up raping a child I would say he should not have any statues anywhere. This situation is much more specific and the sooner that statue is removed the better off that school will be.

Edit: And as to the issue of people losing their jobs with the football program gone, that just makes every big football program immune to the death penalty because every big football program supplies many jobs to the community. At that point the head coaches could be killing children and you would have people saying the program couldn't go down. You have to draw a line somewhere and I think covering up child rape for such a long time is a good place to draw that lie.

Sanjuro

Yeah I guess.

There really isn't a perfect way to do this.

You don't and the idiots don't learn.

You do and the innocent are punished too (and the idiots may still not learn...lol).

Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

I still doubt anything is going to happen, but yeah, it's lousy in every sort.

Joe Pizza Guy might lose his job because of the the football program not drawing. Problem is, Joe Pizza Guy has been collecting money directly (unknowingly) from the source of child rape.

Cyan

Banned
But honestly, the idea of businesses (or the school) being that deeply damaged just from losing 5-6 football games a year strikes me as rather implausible.

Sanjuro

But honestly, the idea of businesses (or the school) being that deeply damaged just from losing 5-6 football games a year strikes me as rather implausible.

Not jumping on you, but I would argue that you aren't as knowledgeable about American sports. There are many locations both professionally and collegially with communities relying on the cash flow of the sporting teams. That could be the town itself and in most cases, local businesses.

Penn State is one of the better examples.

Cyan

Banned
Not jumping on you, but I would argue that you aren't as knowledgeable about American sports. There are many locations both professionally and collegially with communities relying on the cash flow of the sporting teams. That could be the town itself and in most cases, local businesses.

Penn State is one of the better examples.

It's a college town. There are students there 75% of the year; their business is not going to dry up just because there aren't football games being played.

It's possible businesses are getting some massive proportion of their income just from those 5-6 days, but outside of maybe hotels, that seems unlikely. I'd want to see some data.

Sanjuro

It's a college town. There are students there 75% of the year; their business is not going to dry up just because there aren't football games being played.

It's possible businesses are getting some massive proportion of their income just from those 5-6 days, but outside of maybe hotels, that seems unlikely. I'd want to see some data.

True, but the football team averaged probably over a million fans per season. You do the math.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That would be easy but how about the business owners and students(who don't necessarily supports a child rape enabler) who are caught in the crossfire?

It would be great if PSU getting the hammer would lead to people changing their cultist ways and perhaps finally realizing how fucked up things are but honestly I'd think that would lead to even more cult like behavior because they'd be the ones getting "punished" in their minds.

I know this entire situation is fucked up and someone must pay but does the ones who have to pay have to be the one who have nothing to do with it? Sandusky is in jail. Paterno died knowing he probably fucked up everything he built. Hopefully everyone else involved gets fucked in someway too. But those guys won't be effected by any punishments against the school...because they are all gone.

and yet I wouldn't be mad if the school did get hit but it's just that I don't think it will have the effect some of you think it will. Mainly the people who need to pay won't be the ones greatly effected by it.

Maybe there is a better way?

who knows, I just want to see the outcome at this point.

So... too big to fail?

The trustees continue to prove that they don't get it, and voters have only been voting in new psycho deniers. Something has to be done to shake up Penn State's institutionalized belief that football comes before everything else.

Sanjuro

80-100K per game with 6 home games is actually about half that, but close enough

Without looking, I know they have had one season in the last decade or so with over a million fans. I would say even on the deluded seasons they still can easily bank 600-800 fans.

Either way, the point I'm trying to make still stands.

Bert409

State College is not exactly a ghost town even in the summer, people are coming and going every week. It should be able to survive a year or two without football.

Sanjuro

20k students, probably a decent portion of the remaining 80k/game are locals. Still not convinced.

Who cares if they are locals? How are you not convinced?

I'll use the pizza shop again as the example. Business gets record revenue during football seasons. Why would they not lay-off extra staffing if they aren't making nearly the same amount?

Cyan

Banned
Who cares if they are locals? How are you not convinced?
The premise is that football games bring in visitors, which increases local business a la tourism. Yes? If they're locals, they'll be patronizing those businesses regardless.

I'll use the pizza shop again as the example. Business gets record revenue during football seasons. Why would they not lay-off extra staffing if they aren't making nearly the same amount?

Well hang on, there's a bit of a difference between local businesses being run into the ground, as people have been implying and as I was arguing against, and businesses not receiving record revenues and thus not hiring extra staff.

I mean yeah, I could see that happening. Doesn't seem like a big enough deal to warrant not giving PSU the death penalty on their behalf.

I still doubt anything is going to happen, but yeah, it's lousy in every sort.

Joe Pizza Guy might lose his job because of the the football program not drawing. Problem is, Joe Pizza Guy has been collecting money directly (unknowingly) from the source of child rape.

Again, this is an absurd, hyperbolic conclusion devoid of logic but dripping in froth-soaked emotion.

You're assuming the football program is the sole breadwinner at Penn State. (It's not).

Sanjuro

I'm not suggesting the businesses will die. They will hurt, employees will suffer the most with most not having employment.

Even if the locals give them business, it's not going to match the foot traffic on the days of games. Not even close.

Again, this is an absurd, hyperbolic conclusion devoid of logic but dripping in froth-soaked emotion.

You're assuming the football program is the sole breadwinner at Penn State. (It's not).

Outside of the badass run their volleyball team had...it kinda is.

I don't remember the last time their basketball team was relevant (although if Chambers was smart he'd use this as a chance to change that).

Sanjuro

I don't think you understand what you're talking about. It's not "absurd" or "devoid of logic".

Make a counter point to why that person would retain his job when the business or stadium is no longer going to need extra employees?

Cyan

Banned
Outside of the badass run their volleyball team had...it kinda is.

I don't remember the last time their basketball team was relevant (although if Chambers was smart he'd use this as a chance to change that).

I don't think he's referring to sports. The vast majority of PSU's income comes from tuition, grants & appropriations, and the medical center. Football revenue is a drop in the bucket.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Roland Garros is obviously a Penn State guy masquerading as something else.

It's silly to assume anything else at this point.

Regardless,

33nu7m1.png

A snapshot of a Penn State board administrator's views on Joe Pa.
Bad image host, brah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom