• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
So the Paterno name stays on the library and the statue goes into storage. Anyone else get the feeling the statue will be back eventually? At least it's gone for now.

Football program next please.

bro1

Banned
So the Paterno name stays on the library and the statue goes into storage. Anyone else get the feeling the statue will be back eventually? At least it's gone for now.

Football program next please.
Statue is down for good. The library name is because of his large donation

Forever

Banned
Statue is down for good. The library name is because of his large donation

Well the university president said it was because it "symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University." But if it is indeed permanent, I will give him the credit of taking down the statue in the face of what's sure to be unprecedented outrage from his deluded little community and trustees.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm just going to let this little exchange stand on its own. See if you can spot the irony:

4CZtE.jpg

Instead of taking down the statue they should've just turned it 360 degrees

The fail is strong with this one. :lol Let's see if he returns to admit his error.

And I am satisfied with this course of action. It sends a strong message that the hero worship must cease. It will, and with the cancer cut directly from the institutional hierarchy, Penn State should be allowed to go forth and hopefully prosper, having learned many harsh lessons.

Grym

What is the statue made of? Here's hoping it can be melted down and used for some plumbing for the locker room shitters or something

Well, I'd say that about raps this saga all up. Sandusky is in jail and the university has been thoroughly punished by having its metal man removed.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread. I think we're basically done here.

Why it wasn't an instant easy decision to take down a fucking statue of a guy who covered for a child molester for 14 years is disgusting

and why is th library still named after a child molester cover up?

Well, I'd say that about raps this saga all up. Sandusky is in jail and the university has been thoroughly punished by having its metal man removed.

are you kidding me? Death penalty to the football program for 5-10 years

george_us

A statue nor the jailing a one man couldn't come close to righting this wrong. Nothing can.

That entire University should be burned to the ground.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why it wasn't an instant easy decision to take down a fucking statue of a guy who covered for a child molester for 14 years is disgusting

and why is th library still named after a child molester cover up?

are you kidding me? Death penalty to the football program for 5-10 years

What would be the purpose of punishing the current football program? We're the current players and coaches complicit?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
i dont understand these defenders on espn

its like football is more important than human life for these people

Are they actually ESPN commentators or just fans? Matt Millen went to Penn State and he's been on there a few times sounding like an idiot.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What would be the purpose of punishing the current football program? We're the current players and coaches complicit?

There is no purpose, logically, when you pare it back. To me, it's purely to sate the thirst for revenge among many people, to get this issue out of the spotlight.

And then the media and the revenge-seekers will move on, (refusing to acknowledge that those complicit in the cover-up are long gone) leaving a fuckload of problems for Penn State in their wake. And in adidition to the victims of Fucking Sandusky and the Big 4UCKERS involved in th cover-up, a lot more innocent people will suffer greatly purely for having the "misfortune" of being attached to Penn State.

Amir0x

Banned
The purpose, Roland, is to instill a precedent of punishment when a system is so institutionally fucked up that they can allow something like this to go on. It's to teach a lesson to those in the future who would allow something like this to continue in the name of a sport that doesn't matter at all in the end. They sold their souls for a football legend, and a punishment of this type is not 'revenge' - it's justice.

I think Penn State will receive a death penalty of three years. It will take Penn State a decade to recover or more.

SyNapSe

Seriously? That's how it works in life. If I run a hospital and I hire someone who isn't licensed and a patient dies I'm not cleared of responsibility because I later fired the guy.

Every program would cheat if when you were caught all you had to do was fire the coach/AD and you could avoid penalty.

I'm kind of shocked the NCAA is acting this quickly. I was not expecting them to do anything before the season started.

I'd say a bowl ban for 2012 is inevitable, but they're too close to actually cancel the season. 2013, however, will probably be bleak. Either the season gets cancelled or they'll get a massive scholarship reduction and bowl ban that will basically decimate their recruiting for the foreseeable future.

mre

There is no purpose, logically, when you pare it back. To me, it's purely to sate the thirst for revenge among many people, to get this issue out of the spotlight.

And then the media and the revenge-seekers will move on, (refusing to acknowledge that those complicit in the cover-up are long gone) leaving a fuckload of problems for Penn State in their wake. And in adidition to the victims of Fucking Sandusky and the Big 4UCKERS involved in th cover-up, a lot more innocent people will suffer greatly purely for having the "misfortune" of being attached to Penn State.
This is such a cop out response, and clearly comes from someone unfamiliar with the NCAA. All the NCAA can do, when egregious violations are uncovered, is punish the program in its current state. Most of the time when these violations are discovered, the people responsible have already moved on to other jobs, or are fired ASAP by the University. Simply punishing the "people" responsible, does little to disgorge the institutional benefits that were received as a part of the illicit benefits or activity.

Had Penn State come forward in 1998 or even in 2001, then would the University and its football program been negatively affected? I think the reasonable answer to this question is "yes," or, to be more accurate, the people who decided to continue covering up Sandusky's crimes thought the answer was "yes." Therefore, the assumption is that covering up the crimes imparted some tangible benefit to PSU. Whether this came in the form of continued recruiting success or in maintaining a certain level of donor activity, the University and its football program benefited from covering up after Sandusky, and it is this benefit that must be disgorged and an example must be set so that other universities never, ever engage in similar behavior.

This is why the NCAA always punishes the program and the university, and not just the men or women involved in the violations. Look at USC and Reggie Bush. All the people and players involved: gone and still the NCAA punished USC. Look at OSU, Terrell Pryor, and tatgage: all the players and coaches involved are gone and still the NCAA punished OSU. Look at Alabama and Albert Means: coaches fired, boosters disassociated, player gone, and still the NCAA punished tUA.

The NCAA punishes programs to compensate for the benefit, whether real or perceived, that it received as a result of the violations, and to set examples for other universities who may think about committing the same violations. That's how the system works. Universities should consider how their towns, employees, vendors, etc. will suffer if they are caught committing violations, before they commit those violations.

YES YES YES YES YES

My guess isn't the death penalty but a 5-year postseason ban and some other punishment affecting the program.

My guess is that the Big Ten also kicks them out.

Announcement is at 9 AM tomorrow morning. *Sets DVR*

I expect a 6-7 year death penalty.

We've institutional corruption on a unique scale here, and an insular culture that even today doesn't seem to understand how bad what has been done by leaders and trustees was.

Unique breakdowns of this magnitude require a unique response in order to truly break the culture, that it may be built back up from the ground. A post-season ban doesn't do that, as Penn State has been fairly irrelevant in the post-season for a long, long time.

Death anywhere between 6 and 10 years has been well earned, in my opinion.

I'm kind of shocked the NCAA is acting this quickly. I was not expecting them to do anything before the season started.

I'd say a bowl ban for 2012 is inevitable, but they're too close to actually cancel the season. 2013, however, will probably be bleak. Either the season gets cancelled or they'll get a massive scholarship reduction and bowl ban that will basically decimate their recruiting for the foreseeable future.

could be, but simply making their football program irrelevant by taking the scholarships away doesn't do though, IMO. they're already mostly irrelevant.

My guess isn't the death penalty but a 5-year postseason ban and some other punishment affecting the program.

Anything other than the death penalty will be met with a lot of public backlash. I don't think that they have any other option than to hit them with it. Some have said that this doesn't fall under things that they can punish, but if they've decided that it does then it should be the harshest punishment that they've ever dished out. Which would mean a death penalty longer than the one that SMU received.

The purpose, Roland, is to instill a precedent of punishment when a system is so institutionally fucked up that they can allow something like this to go on. It's to teach a lesson to those in the future who would allow something like this to continue in the name of a sport that doesn't matter at all in the end. They sold their souls for a football legend, and a punishment of this type is not 'revenge' - it's justice.

I think Penn State will receive a death penalty of three years. It will take Penn State a decade to recover or more.

And I get this argument, I totally do. I just disagree that this 'justice' hasn't already been delivered, in the form of a now crippling reputation, the rightful desecration of JoePa, worldwide media scrutiny, etc.

There's too many 'they''s in your post, and not enough explanation of who you're referring to.

This is such a cop out response, and clearly comes from someone unfamiliar with the NCAA. All the NCAA can do, when egregious violations are uncovered, is punish the program in its current state. Most of the time when these violations are discovered, the people responsible have already moved on to other jobs, or are fired ASAP by the University. Simply punishing the "people" responsible, does little to disgorge the institutional benefits that were received as a part of the illicit benefits or activity.

Had Penn State come forward in 1998 or even in 2001, then would the University and its football program been negatively affected? I think the reasonable answer to this question is "yes," or, to be more accurate, the people who decided to continue covering up Sandusky's crimes thought the answer was "yes." Therefore, the assumption is that covering up the crimes imparted some tangible benefit to PSU. Whether this came in the form of continued recruiting success or in maintaining a certain level of donor activity, the University and its football program benefited from covering up after Sandusky, and it is this benefit that must be disgorged and an example must be set so that other universities never, ever engage in similar behavior.

This is why the NCAA always punishes the program and the university, and not just the men or women involved in the violations. Look at USC and Reggie Bush. All the people and players involved: gone and still the NCAA punished USC. Look at OSU, Terrell Pryor, and tatgage: all the players and coaches involved are gone and still the NCAA punished OSU. Look at Alabama and Albert Means: coaches fired, boosters disassociated, player gone, and still the NCAA punished tUA.

The NCAA punishes programs to compensate for the benefit, whether real or perceived, that it received as a result of the violations, and to set examples for other universities who may think about committing the same violations. That's how the system works. Universities should consider how their towns, employees, vendors, etc. will suffer if they are caught committing violations, before they commit those violations.

I admit I have very little knowledge of the NCAA. Good post too, even if I do disagree fundamentally.

Amir0x

Banned
And I get this argument, I totally do. I just disagree that this 'justice' hasn't already been delivered, in the form of a now crippling reputation, the rightful desecration of JoePa, worldwide media scrutiny, etc.

There's too many 'they''s in your post, and not enough explanation of who you're referring to.

"They" as in the football institution at Penn State. THEY allowed this to go on, from the environment of worship that allowed them to overlook the clear sins of the program to the continued endless attempts to cover up or dismiss realistic claims of child abuse. It is only right that "they" get real punishment in order to send a message to other programs (and Penn State itself): football is not important. What matters is education, the health of your students, the safety of the environment they learn in. If you're sacrificing any of this in the name of football, you need to be punished.

And having a "bad reputation" does not do anything, trust me. I live in Pennsylvania, I cannot tell you how many people I encounter that think the Penn State football program is unnecessarily being blamed for Sandusky's crime and think the football program there is beyond reproach. No, what Penn State needs is a punishment that will cripple their football program for a number of years. Only then will the magnitude of these crimes be realized.

I expect a 6-7 year death penalty.

We've institutional corruption on a unique scale here, and an insular culture that even today doesn't seem to understand how bad what has been done by leaders and trustees was.

Unique breakdowns of this magnitude require a unique response in order to truly break the culture, that it may be built back up from the ground. A post-season ban doesn't do that, as Penn State has been fairly irrelevant in the post-season for a long, long time.

Death anywhere between 6 and 10 years has been well earned, in my opinion.

could be, but simply making their football program irrelevant by taking the scholarships away doesn't do though, IMO. they're already mostly irrelevant.

A one- or two-year death penalty would basically destroy their program for a decade.

That would be sufficient for me.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah a 6-7 year death penalty would destroy the Penn State football program - maybe for a generation or more. 2-3 is what I'd like to see.

Angry Fork

Why do people care so much about fucking college football. So much so that they would cover up the rape and torture of children and care about preserving the image of a coach who knew something about it and said nothing. IT'S JUST FOOTBALL AND A STATUE. I'm American and don't understand Americans, it's pathetic.

"They" as in the football institution at Penn State. THEY allowed this to go on, from the environment of worship that allowed them to overlook the clear sins of the program to the continued endless attempts to cover up or dismiss realistic claims of child abuse. It is only right that "they" get real punishment in order to send a message to other programs (and Penn State itself): football is not important. What matters is education, the health of your students, the safety of the environment they learn in. If you're sacrificing any of this in the name of football, you need to be punished.

And having a "bad reputation" does not do anything, trust me. I live in Pennsylvania, I cannot tell you how many people I encounter that think the Penn State football program is unnecessarily being blamed for Sandusky's crime and think the football program there is beyond reproach. No, what Penn State needs is a punishment that will cripple their football program for a number of years. Only then will the magnitude of these crimes be realized.

But this 'they' you speak of, those complicit in the cover-up, are gone. Are you saying the institution, as a body, were responsible for the cover-up? Because I believe those responsible were the 4 conspirators, and obviously Sandusky. They had all the power in the instituton, but now they are gone.

So when people say "THEY" should be punished, it doesn't wash with me. "THEY" are gone, the people now in charge have zero to do with what happened in regards to the cover-up.

Grym

Why do people care so much about fucking college football. So much so that they would cover up the rape and torture of children and care about preserving the image of a coach who knew something about it and said nothing. IT'S JUST FOOTBALL AND A STATUE. I'm American and don't understand Americans, it's pathetic.

$$$$$$

Amir0x

Banned

Others around the world act similarly (by that I mean the worship, the institutional problems, etc - obviously this child abuse scandal is largely unprecedented), only for soccer instead of football. It's the nature of how ridiculous people get with regards to competitive sports they love.

Jackpot

Banned

If bad reputation and media scrutiny were meant to be "justice" no one would ever need go to jail.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seriously? That's how it works in life. If I run a hospital and I hire someone who isn't licensed and a patient dies I'm not cleared of responsibility because I later fired the guy.

Every program would cheat if when you were caught all you had to do was fire the coach/AD and you could avoid penalty.

I don't understand the comparison. Are you saying that nobody in your hospital should be allowed to practice medicine because you made a mistake?

The people who were involved in the cover up need to be punished. People who were not involved, what are they guilty of? That's my question.

But this 'they' you speak of, those complicit in the cover-up, are gone. Are you saying the institution, as a body, were responsible for the cover-up? Because I believe those responsible were the 4 conspirators, and obviously Sandusky. They had all the power in the instituton, but now they are gone.

So when people say "THEY" should be punished, it doesn't wash with me. "THEY" are gone, the people now in charge have zero to do with what happened in regards to the cover-up.

The insular, football-crazed Penn State culture allowed this scandal to fester, so yes, the university and the community deserve punishment.

And I don't think anyone buys that only four people knew about Sandusky's proclivities. Apparently it was an open secret and somewhat of an inside joke among many Penn Staters.

SMU got the death penalty for 2 years for being caught paying players, something the entire conference was doing but they slipped. PSU should get a decade death penalty if we were to look at the severity of the problems

The insular, football-crazed Penn State culture allowed this scandal to fester, so yes, the university and the community deserve punishment.

That's approaching a dangerous slippery-slope. 'Insular, football crazed' culture isn't unique to Penn State.

And I don't think anyone buys that only four people knew about Sandusky's proclivities. Apparently it was an open secret and somewhat of an inside joke among many Penn Staters.

Can you direct me to where I can read about this? Never heard about that claim.

mre

I think that people hoping for PSU to get the death penalty are going to be sorely disappointed. I do have some, not much, but some, sympathy to the argument that the loss in revenue would do crippling damage to the community as well as to other athletic programs. My views are also based, in part, upon the fact that teams with contracts to play PSU will be financially harmed.

If I had my way, PSU's football program would be hit with a total loss of scholarships. Allow thehe current football players to transfer, and, if they can't find a school to take them, then PSU will be forced to honor their scholarship though they will be unable to compete on the team, at least for a year or two.

2013 - PSU can award no scholarships
2014 - PSU can award no scholarships
2015 - PSU can hand out 5 football scholarships
2016 - PSU can hand out 10 football scholarships
2017 - PSU can hand out 15 football scholarships
2018 - PSU can hand out 20 football scholarships
2019-2024 - add back 1 scholarship each year

You can play around with that schedule a bit, but I think that's appropriate. It would devastate the on-the-field product, but if the fans wanted to continue going to the games, and funding the other sports, then more power to them.

Amir0x

Banned
That's approaching a dangerous slippery-slope. 'Insular, football crazed' culture isn't unique to Penn State.

Exactly. Which is why we need to send a message with this punishment so that other football programs can look and see the risks involved for allowing such a culture to take precedence over student safety/education/health.

football program>>>14 years of child molestation

gotcha

Yes, that is what the comment meant. You're not insane at all, no siree.

bucklam66

They are going to take the penalty and quick because if they were willing to cover up child molestation then a $500 handshake, academic fraud and covering for players arrested by the police would be nothing and I am really starting to believe that JOPa helped cover for those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom