• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
From Facebook:

Wow. It's one thing to use words like rape, bastard, retard, etc with a separate meaning. It's another to use the literal meaning and inferring equality with a petty thing like losing college football. Fuck this culture.

From the crying pics over a statue being move it doesn't look like they get the hint....if anything this just looks like it reinforces their cult like behavior (obviously not all of them of course but the crazies will be crazies no matter what.)

Yeah i get it was a symbol I just feel like this is wasting time from the important shit (like getting the other dudes involved in this to justice, deciding punishment).

Especially since it doesn't look like it's gonna change much.

What I really don't get is why they took down the statue. Why punish the statue? What did it ever do wrong?

Statue had a hard life.....

Zaventem

Wow what a read this thread is.Are people really using what did the statue do wrong defense? You don't see how having a statue up idolizes something?

Ah, penn state.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Those students are pathetic

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From the crying pics over a statue being move it doesn't look like they get the hint....if anything this just looks like it reinforces their cult like behavior (obviously not all of them of course but the crazies will be crazies no matter what.)

Yeah i get it was a symbol I just feel like this is wasting time from the important shit (like getting the other dudes involved in this to justice, deciding punishment).

Especially since it doesn't look like it's gonna change much.

Statue had a hard life.....
Those guys have cases. The people who removed the statue are not lawyers or prosecutors.

Cyan

Banned
I haven't been following this at all but to my understanding scholarships are awarded to students. Why punish the school if the problem were a few individuals who conspired to cover this up?

Goddamn it Meus.

But this 'they' you speak of, those complicit in the cover-up, are gone. Are you saying the institution, as a body, were responsible for the cover-up? Because I believe those responsible were the 4 conspirators, and obviously Sandusky. They had all the power in the instituton, but now they are gone.

So when people say "THEY" should be punished, it doesn't wash with me. "THEY" are gone, the people now in charge have zero to do with what happened in regards to the cover-up.

Roland, I'm kind of disappointed. I thought we had thoroughly covered this already.

That's approaching a dangerous slippery-slope. 'Insular, football crazed' culture isn't unique to Penn State.

That's exactly why this is so important.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's sad and infuriating that there's probably no punishment that could wake these idiots up to their outrageous hero worship and glorification of football above all other worldly concerns. It's a fucking cult, pure and simple. Not everyone is a member, but it's got massive enrollment nonetheless.

JoeBoy101

Just got and update from my phone CNN ap that a source says "NCAA will not use death penalty" rather "significant, unprecedented penalties"

Pathetic.

Read above. Strong case being made that instead of using their immediate speed bump that could be legally limited to a year or two (death penalty) they would take away scholarships and bowl appearances for multiple years. That, depending on the length, could cripple the program for a much longer period of time and have a more profound impact.

We'll see. I'm for whatever will have the most effect. Remember that the death penalty is not really death, but a suspension. Sounds like they might be going for something more meaty.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. It's one thing to use words like rape, bastard, retard, etc with a separate meaning. It's another to use the literal meaning and inferring equality with a petty thing like losing college football. Fuck this culture.

Yea. Talk about anger inducing. Some people really need fucking help.

Wow what a read this thread is.Are people really using what did the statue do wrong defense? You don't see how having a statue up idolizes something?

Sarcasm my friend. I haven't seen anyone using the what did the statue do defense legitimately.

It's not the statue's fault that people worshipped it!

ROFLMAO. I like your style.

Those guys have cases. The people who removed the statue are not lawyers or prosecutors.

Exactly. You can do multiple things at once. I'm sure the construction people aren't taking time away from bringing the scumbags to justice by doing this.

Yup. Just shows you how fucked up they are. They didn't seem too sad about Sandusky raping children for 20 years but by god take down Joe Pa's statue and they're devastated.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why even bother having the death penalty as an option if they aren't going to use it?

Because legal experts have already said that the current definition of "death penalty" does NOT cover what happened at PSU. Therefore, they legally can't use it.

They can, however, implement punishment far worse than the "death penalty" (which is a 1-year shutdown of the program) and that's most likely what they're going to do tomorrow.

Multiple years of postseason bans and elimination of athletic scholarships for years will decimate the program for a decade or more.

Yeah they could really hurt the long term viability of the Penn State football program if they do multiple years of bowl game bans and kill scholarships. No good players will want to play there with all those restrictions plus the school has a shit reputation now.

That would be a "fair" punishment.

It doesn't exactly kill off business(USC seemingly still did pretty well I think) and it sets a precedent.

Would that be enough for some people tho?

The paternos need to hire some real pr people, and then shut up and lay low. The more they talk the worse they make things and they seem to not be able to help themselves.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'll see what happens, then. It's really weird that harboring a child rapist and covering that up can't be used as a reason for the death penalty.

I'll see what happens, then. It's really weird that harboring a child rapist and covering that up can't be used as a reason for the death penalty.

The NCAA exists for certain reasons - law enforcement, prosecutors, and civil litigation for entirely different reasons. Each need to do their different jobs here.

h1nch

Remember when statues were built for people who cured diseases, built nations, etc?

The negative reaction from PSU students to the removal of a statue made of a COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH is both hilarious and depressing at the same time.

bubububut JoePa was a great man who stood for integrity, honor, and using the football program for good. Oh wait...

Read above. Strong case being made that instead of using their immediate speed bump that could be legally limited to a year or two (death penalty) they would take away scholarships and bowl appearances for multiple years. That, depending on the length, could cripple the program for a much longer period of time and have a more profound impact.

We'll see. I'm for whatever will have the most effect. Remember that the death penalty is not really death, but a suspension. Sounds like they might be going for something more meaty.
I see. I would prefer they not sell another ticket for that football program. Especially after their " support childhood molestation victims" game where they made a special football shirt, sold out their stadium and we find out the brass covered the scandal up for years. Tgey try to sace face but the orginazation allowed this to happen. The culture needs to change and I only see that with the most severe of punishments on the athletic system.

Remember when statues were built for people who cured diseases, built nations, etc?

The negative reaction from PSU students to the removal of a statue made of a COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH is both hilarious and depressing at the same time.

bubububut JoePa was a great man who stood for integrity, honor, and using the football program for good. Oh wait...
You understand that football stadiums often have statues of football players and football coaches to commemorate football, right?

Cyan

Banned
have they? i don't subscribe to this thread

What do you think?

Seriously. Do you really think these people, already under scrutiny and already having been harassed and in some cases even having received death threats merely for being victims--do you really think they're going to come out and say "oh btw, we don't like the JoePa statue, please remove it thx"?

Use yer noggin.

remnant

Banned
So in other words, no. No one has actually come out and said it.

I have no problem with the statue coming down, but to prop the victims up as if they can't speak is a bit crass imo.

Yes, that is the worst thing ever. Worse than anything in this thread and worse than any part of this story.

Thank you for focusing on this horrible thing that would have gone unnoticed without your keen eye for detail.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Penn State's president made a nice statement about taking down the statue and how leaving it up would do nothing to help the victims in this case and other child abuse cases.

Forever

Banned
but to prop the victims up as if they can't speak is a bit crass imo.

Yes because I'm sure the victims want more public attention and attacks from the rabid Penn State cultists. Are you going to blame them for holding their silence while they were being raped? You are sick and disturbed.

Cyan

Banned
So in other words, no. No one has actually come out and said it.

I have no problem with the statue coming down, but to prop the victims up as if they can't speak is a bit crass imo.

Jebus.

Did you even read what I wrote? Do you understand what a death threat is? Harassment? Do you understand how revered JoePa is in that community?

h1nch

You understand that football stadiums often have statues of football players and football coaches to commemorate football, right?

I do. What I don't understand the irrational reverence to a statue of a college coach in light of all the recent evidence.

I'm a Longhorn, and if it was Mack Brown who turned a blind eye to a child molester I'd be fine with taking down any statues or monuments which celebrate his image, regardless of whether or not I still think he's a good person because I understand that leaving symbols like that around only hurts/slows the heaiing process for victims, and for the university as a whole.

remnant

Banned
Yes, that is the worst thing ever. Worse than anything in this thread and worse than any part of this story.

Thank you for focusing on this horrible thing that would have gone unnoticed without your keen eye for detail.

Becuase that what i said? Seriously go fuck yourself. You don't have a moral authority because I apparently have the audacity to ask a basic question that had no value judgment on taking down the statue.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Becuase that what i said? Seriously go fuck yourself. You don't have a moral authority because I apparently have the audacity to ask a basic question that had no value judgment on taking down the statue.

Do you want the Count Dookake statue taken down? You are the only one who can make this decision.

Cyan

Banned

The question has absolutely no relevance. That was the gist of my response.

It's meaningless to ask whether the victims said anything about the JoePa statue, because of course they didn't. Whatever their feelings about it, they aren't going to say anything, and so whether they've said anything is not evidence either way for their feelings on the statue. It's completely irrelevant to anything.

Forever

Banned
FullMetalx, is that you?

Funny how these Penn Staters just can't help themselves.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nice knowing you.

What an implosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom