• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

m4ARn.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If ANY good can come of this, it may be a rethink of the locus of power in colleges, or at least meaningful long term steps being taken to avoid the kind of corruption and malice we saw at Penn. But to be cyncial and blunt, I fucking doubt it.I imagine we'll see some hand wringing and symbolic changes and this will be forgotten about in a couple of years. Not at Penn, obviously, but everywhere else.

Branduil

The paternos need to hire some real pr people, and then shut up and lay low. The more they talk the worse they make things and they seem to not be able to help themselves.
When you're worshipped as gods, you tend not to think about how your words make you look.

Koomaster

I fully expected this space to be filled with crying college students.
The walls should be inscribed with all the pro JoPa and insensitive posts/tweets/etc. that have been happening. Like that facebook post from the last page.

That way people will always remember how the worship of football culture can warp people's perceptions.

If ANY good can come of this, it may be a rethink of the locus of power in colleges, or at least meaningful long term steps being taken to avoid the kind of corruption and malice we saw at Penn. But to be cyncial and blunt, I fucking doubt it.I imagine we'll see some hand wringing and symbolic changes and this will be forgotten about in a couple of years. Not at Penn, obviously, but everywhere else.

I wish, but living in a state where we have one dominant school, I don't see that kind of culture changing until we start getting more cases like Penn State, where institutional control is so absent that there's no other option but to bring the hammer down.

Everyone always believe, "Well they were morally corrupt and out of control, but not us! We're better than that!" without knowing what goes on in the shadows.

beast786

I did not place a value judgment on any of the victims. I am not defending Paterno. I asked if any of them have come and said anything about the issue of the statue. I expected "yes or no" and yet somehow people took an incredibly basic question and twisted it into a defense of JoePa and child rape. I'm also not saying anyone should press them for a interview.

Those victims lived in the community as well. The same community that has people crying over it. There is a deep schism here. It goes deeper than just JoePa. it goes into the fabric of happy valley and how they felt about themselves. i don't think it's as easy as everyone there being stupid or in a cult as we would all like to believe.

maybe you should find these victims and ask them if the guy who protected the man who raped and abused them for decade should have his statue removed?

Have you heard anything from the victims about anything via media outside of the legal issues?

do you usually see child who have been raped and sexually tortured come to media lime lights to talk about statue opinion?

In a must-read report by USA Today, the psychologist for a victim of Jerry Sandusky's abuses said of his patient: "From the first time we met, he was fearful that he would be killed. He believed that Jerry Sandusky could have him killed." This young man was stunningly brave in overcoming that fear, but any punishment of the Paterno legacy or Penn State won't make the next victims less scared

mr2xxx

Banned
It's a bit late for that.

and most of them aren't good enough to make other schools or they cannot afford other schools.

It's going to be a clusterfuck no matter what.

Collateral Damage I guess

Let them transfer and have Penn St. foot the bill for whatever school they go to. They are better off because the next year they would have to find a school anyways. Besides Penn. St. while not being very competitive is still third in revenue making over 50 mill per. Also while the kids might not be Bama or USC material they could easily go to a school in the WAC conference.

I'm glad they removed the statue. The school deserves the death penalty any way you slice it even if people try to use the competitive advantage argument against the penalty. For one Joe Pa swept under a lot of infractions of his players which would of resulted in suspensions which is a competitive advantage. That alone might be enough but combine that with covering for Sandusky and the advantage of never receiving any negative press about it. You had Penn. St. sending letters about how great and honorable their program was because they never violated any NCAA rules LOL. You were lying to these kids and parents by acting like they will be part of this sacred program when the reality is anything but.

As for length of time, 2 or 3 years is enough I think. SMU got the DP for 1 year and the program is still irrelevant, though it's arguably on the upswing. It's been 25 years.

I think the SMU situation has a lot of people, including the NCAA either misled, or being deliberately misleading, depending on the motivation.

SMU struggled so long to get back up and running from the death penalty for a lot of reasons that absolutely would not be the same as how a death penalty would affect a school like Penn State.

-SMU is a very small, private school.

-SMU has a tiny alumni base.

-SMU didn't put 110,000 butts in seats ever.

-SMU shares a market with the Dallas Cowboys. Even at the peak of SMU's success, they were a clear second fiddle to the Cowboys.

-SMU turned over control of it's football program to the academics. Even today, every football recruit must be approved by an academic board. Talk to anyone who follows SMU football closely, and they'll tell you stories of some of their best recruits being denied at the last minute--not because a recruit doesn't meet the requirements, but just because the ban hammer is a good way of reminding the football folks who's in charge from time to time.

None of that would apply to PSU or any other power program in the US if they got the death penalty.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So they're not going to get the death penalty, but life in prision with a parole hearing after 25 years, it seems.

I'll wait until I hear the punishment before passing judgement.

Meanwhile, did I miss any fireworks in this thread? I have some popcorn and I'm willing to share.

I saw the other day that PSU was having an amazingly good recruiting class this year, hopefully these punishments will derail that and the players who have committed already will go some where else. I am so happy to see the statue come down.

YoungHav

Banned
Are you saying that shielding child rapists is acceptable in our modern society?

That comparison doesn't make any fucking sense.
Joe Paterno is a morally better person than George Washington or Andrew Jackson. And I'm not defending JoePa at all, my point is we revere some awful scum w/statues everywhere.

Enron

Banned
NCAA has decided on penalties for Penn State, but no Death Penalty. Details tommorrow, supposedly pretty harsh but no suspension of athletic programs.

I told you so!

What's your proof for Joe being a moral person? Being a good coach doesn't imply that.

He wasn't just "a good coach". It's essentially undisputed that he did a lot for charities and gave away tons of his money for education. Even the people who are rightfully appalled at his actions with the sandusky stuff can recognize this - whether that has anything to do with general morality is certainly an opinion many can differ on. Personally I think he was a human like all of us, who did some great things, and did some horrific things that in the end for me easily overshadow every other good thing he did.

It's not like most people are either hitler or jesus. We're all the sum of our actions.

Talamius

NCAA has decided on penalties for Penn State, but no Death Penalty. Details tommorrow, supposedly pretty harsh but no suspension of athletic programs.

I told you so!

Full loss of scholarships for the football program for multiple seasons and a multi-year bowl ban would make the program a zombie anyway.

Of course, allow the current players to transfer with no penalty and play immediately for their new schools.

Told you it wouldn't do much.

Symbol or not...some people are far too gone.

Full loss of scholarships for the football program for multiple seasons and a multi-year bowl ban would make the program a zombie anyway.

Of course, allow the current players to transfer with no penalty and play immediately for their new schools.

Did they do this for USC?

No way will they do that, but they should let incoming freshman who have already committed.

george_us

The rumor on the penalties are:

5 year bowl ban
loss of 60 scholarships
All players eligible to transfer without sitting out
Forfeit all Big 10 revenue sharing to an abuse victims fund
No ooc games in 2013 and 2014

Again, just a rumor but if this is true then wow. Worse than the DP.

5 year bowl ban
loss of 60 scholarships

If legit then goddammymanNCAA.

That seems fair.

5 year bowl ban
loss of 60 scholarships

Damn that is a huge punishment. They will be wrecked for years to come after that. I am glad that the NCAA is doing the right thing. I would have liked the DP but this is a good punishment.

5 year bowl ban
loss of 60 scholarships

Where is that info coming from? Not questioning you; just curious.

If that's true, they'll be lucky to even field a football team in the next couple of years.

But perhaps all of those JoePa devotees will be able to live out their dreams and walk on the team. And then get their asses kicked by the rest of the B1G.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
He wasn't just "a good coach". It's essentially undisputed that he did a lot for charities and gave away tons of his money for education. Even the people who are rightfully appalled at his actions with the sandusky stuff can recognize this - whether that has anything to do with general morality is certainly an opinion many can differ on. Personally I think he was a human like all of us, who did some great things, and did some horrific things that in the end for me easily overshadow every other good thing he did.

It's not like most people are either hitler or jesus. We're all the sum of our actions.

Word. Agreed completely. :(

CNN.com:

But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.

"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."

squicken

I guess they could always self-impose a death penalty. If all their guys can transfer and they will play 4 less games than everyone else, might as well. Guess it depends on how they structure the loss of scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom