• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments from the ESPN story:

They turned it the other way because that's the way Joe Paterno looked at things.

The Board of Trustees took a long time taking the statue down because they were waiting for Joe Paterno to tell them what to do.

Somehow the Paterno family made money from the contract to take down statue.

In its place a plaque will be engraved with the most important thing Joe Paterno ever said - "..............."

They will place the statue in the PSU library to remind all who see it to remain quiet.

Anyone interfering with the removal or site of the statue will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law....14-15 odd years later and only after several cover up attempts and severe negligence by university officials

The statue was revered for being so lifelike--it stood there and did nothing for years

Although removed, the statue will continue to have access to the university private plane, coach's skybox seats, locker room facilities and hydrotherapy program.

The statue was unveiled in 2001, making it another 11 year old ruined by Penn State

The statue was brought down quietly, behind curtains, and covered up so no one could see...because that's the way Paterno liked to do things around there.

strobogo

Banned
I don't understand how removing victories does anything. Everyone knows who won those games. You can go back and watch them. It just seems like such a silly and meaningless punishment. Childish, even. I don't understand why people think wins and losses should be changed. I mean really, who gives a fuck if someone says "hey, that game you won 10 years ago, now it doesn't count. Suck it."?

remnant

Banned
You're saying nothing would have happened to negatively impact the reputation of Penn State if in 1998 PSU outed the sexual predator among their coaching ranks? Good lord almighty.

Nothing happened to Syracuse. Bernie Fine was fired for molesting students and they still had a good recruiting year.

"Sandusky? Never heard of him. Carry on with a stiff upper lip..." vs "They should bulldoze the entire fucking school and send the whole student body to do road crew detail for three years"

Fight of the century, folks

Zizbuka

Banned
Nothing happened to Syracuse. Bernie Fine was fired for molesting students and they still had a good recruiting year.

Wasn't it uncovered that the accusations were lies? I think 2 of the 4 admitted to lying, and the other 2 were always questionable. I don't know anything about Bernie Fine, but if it was all lies it's a shame what happened to him. Although, I remember seeing a pic of his butt ugly wife, and that she also slept with the same boys?

beast786

Wasn't it uncovered that the accusations were lies? I think 2 of the 4 admitted to lying, and the other 2 were always questionable. I don't know anything about Bernie Fine, but if it was all lies it's a shame what happened to him. Although, I remember seeing a pic of his butt ugly wife, and that she also slept with the same boys?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ernie-fine-case-accuser-says-made-allegations

You have to understand where he is coming from.

Have victims actually said they have a problem with the statue?

JoeBoy101

Catch an audio stream of any sports station that carries Mike and Mike. They're airing it live.

Got it, thanks!

thefro said:
wow, absolute meltdown on the PSU boards now... they all want to sue the NCAA and PSU BOT

I agree with the second part. Most culpable leadership still at the college. But NCAA? Nah. The only part I don't sympathize with but recognize is how screwed PSU is with the NCAA right now. Mainly because any punishment handed down the school can't fight due to the apocalyptic PR nightmare it would be, regardless of any possible legal merit.

mimic said:
"They should put it in the library to remind people to keep quiet."

Oh snap.

Appropriate but cold blooded. I love it!

JoeBoy101

Kinda annoyed by people still asking why they think the NCAA should do anything. Can they really be that blind to the visual of PSU taking the field in the coming season with no penalties to the program handed down?

Well, they're certainly making a harsh statement.

JoeBoy101

$60 Million fine towards endowment for victims of sexual abuse.
Ban from Bowl games and postseason for 4 years.
Scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 for 4 years.
Current players can transfer without penalty.
VACATES ALL WINS from 1998!
5 year academic probation.
Reserves the right to impose further sanctions on individuals after criminal charges.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
-4 year no bowls
-15 scholarships instead of 25
-60M
-Vacate all wins from 98 to 2011
-5 year probationary period
-Formal investigation on individuals.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
60m dollar fine
4 year post season ban
40 scholarships lost over 4 years
all players can transfer and compete immediately
any player can stay at psu and keep his scholarship, even if he doesn't compete
all wins vacated from 1998 on.
the university athletic department is on probation for 5 years
the ncaa is initializing a formal investigative process

Kosmo

Banned
60m dollar fine
4 year post season ban

Other than the scholarships lost (should be all of them) and the players transferring, this is nothing but bluster.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The scholarship reduction isn't as much as I would have liked.

The vacating of wins, though?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cult leader Paterno's record is no more!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
this is a death penalty in all but name.

and it's a very smart move to allow student-athletes to transfer or keep their scholarships without repercussions.

Pollux

60m dollar fine
4 year post season ban
Holy fucking shit.

....god damn

Volimar

And vacates Paterno's wins from 1998 - 2011.

Honestly, that's the one I agree with most. I've never been in favor of penalizing players for what school officials have done. But at least this makes some sense if the NCAA has to get involved at all.

Kosmo

Banned
Here comes the reason why they did not put in the death penalty....essentially "We need to money to fund other things at the University..."

60m dollar fine
4 year post season ban

slam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom