• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Letting athletes immediately transfer is huge. Completely open season on that program now. Scholarship reduction isn't as bad as I hoped

JoeBoy101

I feel it could have been a bit harsher, but the vacating of wins hits right at the heart of the paterno cult. Functionally, it makes no difference. Symbolically, its massive.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
not only do they lose 10 scholarships a year, but they can only have a max of 65 scholarship football players each year for 4 years. Does anyone know the size of penn state's senior class this year? because, if it's small...

Kosmo

Banned
Wait, so they NCAA said that no program can be considered too big to fail, and then gave every excuse why Penn State football IS too big to fail and that's why they didn't put in the death penalty.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hate how they're acting like $60 million is actually punishing to them.

The alumni will give that to them within a year.

Kwhit10

They do allow those to keep their scholarships even if they don't continue to play football if the only keep up the academic qualifications. Can keep free ride if they do not continue to play football is nice.

Summary:

-Fine of $60 million (equivalent of one year's revenue for football program) to fund an endowment for victims of child sexual abuse
-Four-year bowl ban
-Four-year scholarship reduction from 25 to 15
-Vacate all wins from 1998-2011
-Five-year probation
-NCAA will pursue sanctions against individuals after criminal proceedings have ended
-Penn State must institute reforms suggested by Section 5.0 of Freeh report
-Penn State must enter into an athletic integrity agreement with the NCAA and B1G
-NCAA will select an independent integrity monitor to report regularly to NCAA and B1G

EDIT: Beaten, mostly.

TS-08

4 years means the incoming class never plays in a bowl game for Penn State. That's the biggie. Incoming recruit bailout.

They have a great class for 2013 too. That's about to change. And I'm sure they won't be able to get anyone for 2014 either.

thefro

If I'm reading the release correctly, they also can only have a max of 65 players on scholarship in total for all 4 years.

Kosmo

Banned
They do allow those to keep their scholarships even if they don't continue to play football if the only keep up the academic qualifications. Can keep free ride if they do not continue to play football is nice.

And does that scholarship take away from the football program (e.g. if 20 kids who aren't going pro decide to just go academic, are those still considered "football" scholarships.)

Why not remove the wins from Paterno only and allow the players and the rest of the staff to keep them?

It doesn't really matter to anyone but Paterno and the University.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He destroyed Paterno and the Penn State whackjobs who blindly support them.

Easily the best part of this.

I still think that the scholarship reduction was WAY less than it should be.

Edit: Wait--65 scholarships total over four years is a great punishment.

These sanctions are a joke.

They will be back in 4 years and bigger than ever.

They can now arm themselves with two great weapons.

"Success with Honor" & "Unjust Persecution for a Rogue Criminal."

Judging by this year in recruiting, those two creeds will be eaten up.

andycapps

The NCAA doesn't get things right often, but they nailed it on this one. I agree with others, the most significant and important to me is the wins from 98-11 being wiped out.

eznark

Banned

lolololololol

Basically the death penalty. Maybe worse than the death penalty.

65 scholarships a year and no bowl for 4 years will cripple the talent. Will take 10 years to recover.

Already one de-commit and the roster will be pillaged.

bro1

Banned
as a Penn State alumni, I can tell you that they should have given the program the death penalty. They created a mayrter by vacating his wins.

Plinko

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Kusagari

I wish they had limited them from bowl games longer, but still effectively a death penalty.

But the wins vacated is the most important part, really. They cut right into the heart of the problem. The cult around Paterno and Penn State football.

I was laughed at, when I said that the Sandusky case wasn't enough to deter recruits from coming to the school.

I was spot on there.

I'm 100% certain that I'm going to be spot on here.

The incoming class to Penn State will be impacted. The class being presently recruited can take a red shirt, and compete big time a la USC when they come off it.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

USCw begs to differ.

The SMU case regarding the death penalty is also an outlier. As Stooge pointed out, SMU merely reverted back to their mean after the case was done. If you wanted to change the culture, you needed to enforce a five year bowl ban at the least.

I was laughed at, when I said that the Sandusky case wasn't enough to deter recruits from coming to the school.

I was spot on there.

I'm 100% certain that I'm going to be spot on here.

The incoming class to Penn State will be impacted. The class being presently recruited can take a red shirt, and compete big time a la USC when they come off it.

USCw begs to differ.

The SMU case regarding the death penalty is also an outlier. As Stooge pointed out, SMU merely reverted back to their mean after the case was done.

You are way off base here.

USC can recruit 10 5-star recruits a year, Penn State never could.

So basically the death penalty.

Why would you want to go to Penn State for football
any
reason now? Known as a ped den, can't compete for bowl games, limited scholarships, yuck.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't agree with the wiping the wins part but I agree with everything else.

First I hate when the NCAA does that at all, you can't change history and tell people to pretend what they saw didn't happen. Especially when there was no on the field rules being broken. You punish the kids who played for nothing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom