• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
If the rumors are true, it is MUCH worse.

The "death penalty" as described by NCAA law is a 1 YEAR shutdown. That's it. ONE YEAR. It's not a permanent thing. No loss of scholarships. No bowl bans. Just a one year shutdown.

If the rumors are true, this is basically relegating their football team to irrelevance for years--maybe a decade or more.

Uh, no. A shutdown for 1 year or more means the loss of every single impact scholarship player (likely) and the loss of most, if not all, of the coaching staff. That's essentially having NO schlarships for a year or two, instead of a loss of 60 over how many years.

Football programs lose scholarships and postseason appearances all the time for NCAA infractions. And as someone already mentioned, just look at USC.

The Death Penalty is FAR worse. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

TheNatural

My Member!
And for people worried that this isn't strong enough because it wasn't the death penalty, fear not. It is as bad or worse. Penn State isn't going to be able to get the same kids it used to get. Sane parents aren't going to push their kids towards Penn State if they have other options. Penn State will be fielding teams full of players that no one else wanted for quite some time.

Take that stupid shit elsewhere.

Take your stupid shit elsewhere.

I want the people involved to be hammered as much as anyone else, but horrible saber rattling by the NCAA accomplishes NOTHING and is counter productive.

At the very least the NCAA should comp any student athlete at Penn State for the costs of transfer, room & board increase, travel for themselves and proximity of family, and so on if they choose to transfer from any sport.

The NCAA wants to spout off about helping the student athletes, so do so by comping them for what you think is hammering "Penn State" the name.

Money sure as hell isn't coming out of JoePa's or Sandusky's pension. It's coming out of the pockets of everyone from the womens lacrosse player to probably the biology major who doesn't even know what a football stadium looks like. Some justice.

beast786

I want the people involved to be hammered as much as anyone else, but horrible saber rattling by the NCAA accomplishes NOTHING and is counter productive.

At the very least the NCAA should comp any student athlete at Penn State for the costs of transfer, room & board increase, travel for themselves and proximity of family, and so on if they choose to transfer from any sport.

The NCAA wants to spout off about helping the student athletes, so do so by comping them for what you think is hammering "Penn State" the name.

Money sure as hell isn't coming out of JoePa's or Sandusky's pension. It's coming out of the pockets of everyone from the womens lacrosse player to probably the biology major who doesn't even know what a football stadium looks like. Some justice.

I hope the transfer rule applies to all sports.

You fine a program that much money, its not football that's just hurt - its everything. Football FUNDS the entire athletic program. That money to staff the women's lacrosse team or take the cross country team anywhere comes from football revenue.

So what happens now? You tell some 17 girl who was excited about getting a softball scholarship, sorry, we can't take you on now thanks to the NCAA fine - because some guys you never met 10 years ago didn't report a sexual predator.

That's my problem with NCAA overstepping their bounds. Student athletes from even other sports are suffering from this. Hopefully they can transfer out easily or find an equal scholarship in the field they wanted at Penn State.

What part of this you guys still can't get.

Graham Spanier, joe not just protected Sandusky. but , mainly the PSU image and football. And all worked FOR PSU. So , yes, the 17 year old was taking full advantage of lies and protection of PSU. now since the lies and criminal act are exposed, the same 17 year old will have to face the other side.

this ridiculous argument is basically saying, why is a child punished and being deprived of a father, if it's father who did the crime.

they all benefited from PSU image and football money.

TheNatural

My Member!
What part of this you guys still can't get.

Graham Spanier, joe not just protected Sandusky. but , mainly the PSU image and football. And all worked FOR PSU. So , yes, the 17 year old was taking full advantage of lies and protection of PSU. now since the lies and criminal act are exposed, the same 17 year old will have to face the other side.

this ridiculous argument is basically saying, why is a child punished and being deprived of a father, if it's father who did the crime.

they all benefited from PSU image and football money.

Your analogy is ridiculous, this is a criminal matter, of course a degree from anyone involved will hurt a family and it has.

This is akin to why is neighbor 20 blocks away who didn't even know the guy being punished with firebombing when a father 10 years ago did the crime.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious anymore.

Your analogy is ridiculous, this is a criminal matter, of course a degree from anyone involved will hurt a family and it has.

This is akin to why is neighbor 20 blocks away being punished with firebombing when a father 10 years ago did the crime.

Welp, sadly you are.

Cyan

Banned

This is akin to why is neighbor 20 blocks away who didn't even know the guy being punished with firebombing when a father 10 years ago did the crime.

Just to check--you think USC should've received no punishment at all, right?

fritolay

No doubt about that but look at that crazy fan base. The fact that Penn St. is in the middle of nowhere is a huge help, what else do people have over there besides football?

Well they have more major schools and NFL teams than a lot of colleges across the US. They have Philly and Pittsburgh cities on both sides of the state, Baltimore is close, plus Pitt State, Temple, etc. Now if you would say this about Nebraska or Iowa that has no professional sports teams and not much other colleges, OK. But there is a lot of entertainment and football in the area.

The NCAA however is in a position that it must flex it's muscle but also step over it's power.

Forever

Banned

It's not complicated. Penn State as an institution is guilty, and Penn State as an institution will pay the price. Does that mean that Penn State the institution will be less capable of giving out goodies to its students? Probably, but I don't think I have a single shit to give. Cry me a river, really. The punishment is hitting exactly where it should be.

The whole reason this atrocity happened in the first place was because Penn State wanted to protect their precious football program at all costs. The only way to reliably deter this behavior is to annihilate said football program with such force that no one in Paterno's shoes will ever even think about looking the other way again.

If people won't do the right thing out of the goodness of their hearts, they must be made to do the right thing out of fear of the consequences.

FStop7

Banned
The teams on PSU's schedule should refuse to play them, regardless of whatever penalties PSU receives.

This quote made my day. You can practically taste the bitter tears.

"Unbelievable," said a Penn State trustee informed of the NCAA statement, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. "Unbelievable, unbelievable."

The Penn State trustees' hope that the statue's removal might send a positive message was trumped by the NCAA, which had already decided.

"Emmert has been given full reign by the pansy presidents (at other universities) to make his own decision," said the trustee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He has been given the authority to impose these unprecedented sanctions. It's horrible."

PSU's football program deserves nothing less than a 10 year shutdown. That's enough time for most of the people who were on the immediate staff or on the board of trustees to be purged from the school. It's enough time for the cult mentality to fade as the current student body is will be gone. Start over in 2023 with 100% new everything.

If the rumors are true, it is MUCH worse.

The "death penalty" as described by NCAA law is a 1 YEAR shutdown. That's it. ONE YEAR. It's not a permanent thing. No loss of scholarships. No bowl bans. Just a one year shutdown.

If the rumors are true, this is basically relegating their football team to irrelevance for years--maybe a decade or more.

Good. PSU has shown that it as an institution failed the kids abused by Sandusky.

Uh, no. A shutdown for 1 year or more means the loss of every single impact scholarship player (likely) and the loss of most, if not all, of the coaching staff. That's essentially having NO schlarships for a year or two, instead of a loss of 60 over how many years.

Football programs lose scholarships and postseason appearances all the time for NCAA infractions. And as someone already mentioned, just look at USC.

You mean the sources literally saying that this is worse?

The teams on PSU's schedule should refuse to play them, regardless of whatever penalties PSU receives.

That would be a nice statement, but no school on their schedule will do that. For the next few years(more probably) Penn State is going to be an easy win.

You mean the sources literally saying that this is worse?

Yeah, I'm going with the experts and their assessment too. I'm sure they'll explain in more detail why it's worse tomorrow when everything has been announced.

FStop7

Banned
That would only hurt the schools themselves and the conference. Why would they want to do that?

If they were a united front. It's a PR war the NCAA cannot win. You can't argue down "We refuse to play football against a team ensconced in an environment permissive of child rape" without confronting some ugly truths.

TheNatural

My Member!
I honestly can't tell if you're serious anymore.

Welp, sadly you are.

What is incorrect about anything I'm saying?

You see a name, I see people completely uninvolved that take the brunt here. Where the fuck do you think this money comes from?

You think Sandusky had a hidden cult inside Penn State who's supporters are now grinding their teeth in realization at the millions they hoarded for years will now be lost as NCAA suits break in their ring of treachery?

Uh no. $60 mil comes from SOMEWHERE. And that somewhere is the students and the blue collar workers, who at this time last year at this time last year couldn't spell Sandusky.

They have to fund the remaining sports and with a big fine to pay and no football revenue, cuts are coming. Sorry in-state kid who took out student loans to get an education at the closest University possible - tack another $60 onto your bill as a University approved 'athletic fund' was passed to keep the other sports up and running and pay the tab. Doesn't matter if the only football you've watched in your life was in Charlie Brown - you're paying for some horribly misplaced punishment.

But hey as long as a 'name' gets hurt, the shrapnel the everyday person gets hit with, its all worth it right?

beast786

If that neighbor 20 block away took advantage of crime for 10 years, then YES, the neighbor needs to give that back.

Again, Graham Spanier, joe PA. DID NOT JUST PROTECT SANDUSKY , the protected the image of PSU football and all the money it bought to the institution. So the same 17 yr old lacrosse player that enjoyed that PSU football money like YOU SAID, now after the exposé of lies and crimes have to face the consequences.

Joe PA and Graham Spanier were protecting the institution. The institution has to pay the consequences. just like when they all benefited from the institution.

FStop7

Banned

You see a name, I see people completely uninvolved that take the brunt here. Where the fuck do you think this money comes from?

You think Sandusky had a hidden cult inside Penn State who's supporters are now grinding their teeth in realization at the millions they hoarded for years will now be lost as NCAA suits break in their ring of treachery?

Uh no. $60 mil comes from SOMEWHERE. And that somewhere is the students and the blue collar workers, who at this time last year at this time last year couldn't spell Sandusky.

They have to fund the remaining sports and with a big fine to pay and no football revenue, cuts are coming. Sorry in-state kid who took out student loans to get an education at the closest University possible - tack another $60 onto your bill as a University approved 'athletic fund' was passed to keep the other sports up and running and pay the tab. Doesn't matter if the only football you've watched in your life was in Charlie Brown - you're paying for some horribly misplaced punishment.

But hey as long as a 'name' gets hurt, the shrapnel the everyday person gets hit with, its all worth it right?

oh my god 60 whole dollars

Cyan

Banned
That would only hurt the schools themselves and the conference. Why would they want to do that?

Um, it really wouldn't. They'd just schedule some crappy I-AA team for a home game beatdown, like everyone else does when a scheduled game falls through.

Uh no. $60 mil comes from SOMEWHERE.

Yeah. The endowment. And probably some of their big donors will step in with cash monies to "save softball" or whatever.

h1nch

This quote made my day. You can practically taste the bitter tears.

PSU's football program deserves nothing less than a 10 year shutdown. That's enough time for most of the people who were on the immediate staff or on the board of trustees to be purged from the school. It's enough time for the cult mentality to fade as the current student body is will be gone. Start over in 2023 with 100% new everything.

If that were to happen, PSU would technically be undefeated.

Enron

Banned
Um, it really wouldn't. They'd just schedule some crappy I-AA team for a home game beatdown, like everyone else does when a scheduled game falls through.

Yeah. The endowment. And probably some of their big donors will step in with cash monies to "save softball" or whatever.

Uhm, yes, it really would. If Penn State didn't exist on the schedule, and wasn't on radio or tv and generating revenue for the conference and for the other schools that would most definitely hurt the other programs in the big10.

Cyan

Banned
Uhm, yes, it really would. If Penn State didn't exist on the schedule, and wasn't on radio or tv and generating revenue for the conference and for the other schools that would most definitely hurt the other programs in the big10.

If every team scheduled a replacement game, it wouldn't have any effect on radio or tv.

Pretty much everything. Your analogies for the most part are ill-thought out nonsense. This isn't "akin to why is neighbor 20 blocks away who didn't even know the guy being punished with firebombing when a father 10 years ago did the crime." What the hell does that even mean?

If you're looking for an analogy, try the sanctions the world placed on Iraq for many many years for sponsoring terrorism. Medicine and food supplies into the country were cut for most people. People that had no decision power with how Iraq sponsored terrorism suffered for the institution's crimes. A sad side-effect, but necessary to change the institution itself. Penn State the institution is being sanctioned here. If you're part of that institution, you're going to feel the effects of it. And I'm sure the hope is that all the suffering that is about to occur will positively change the culture of not just how Penn State handles their sports programs, but how the entire institution monitors their own sports programs and puts the fear of god into every other school to not behave as PSU did. This was an institutional failure. It's beside the point that Joe is dead, Jerry is in jail, and the others are gone.

beast786

not for most Big10 school. I can't recall when was the last time Michigan stadium was not a sell out regardless of the team. Yes, it will have a minor effect at best.

Chumly

You can't argue "the poor students" because then no school should EVER be punished since people unrelated to those involved would be affected. All those big football donors at penn state could more than make up the difference in donations "to the students". For 10 years penn state was profiting off hiding child rape. Now they are going to be forced to pay some of that back.

Enron

Banned
If every team scheduled a replacement game, it wouldn't have any effect on radio or tv.

Are you seriously trying to argue that an Ohio State/Coastal Carolina game would generate more revenue for the schools and conference than Ohio State/Penn State? really?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

OK, lets just ignore the scouts and high-level analysts that are saying otherwise.

Instead, we'll just take your word for it.

If that neighbor 20 block away took advantage of crime for 10 years, then YES, the neighbor needs to give that back.

Again, Graham Spanier, joe PA. DID NOT JUST PROTECT SANDUSKY , the protected the image of PSU football and all the money it bought to the institution. So the same 17 yr old lacrosse player that enjoyed that PSU football money like YOU SAID, now after the exposé of lies and crimes have to face the consequences.

Joe PA and Graham Spanier were protecting the institution. The institution has to pay the consequences. just like when they all benefited from the institution.

Not to take sides here (as TheNatural should calm down a bit) but I think his point is that people who aren't benefiting from the money will have to pay for it due to the incoming cuts.

So your 17 year laccross player who was not affiliated with PSU until she got a scholarship now has to walk on elsewhere(for more money..perhaps further away...and perhaps she now doesn't make it) or go to PSU and pay more than she should because of the incoming fines....or something like that.

i think his point is that not everyone invloved is actually apart of the scandal but they are now apart of the punishment. So a biology major now have to pay extra to make up for the fines despite never benefiting from any of the football money.

That's his point...I think.

We went over this earlier tho and basically it's collateral damage at this point.

beast786

Pretty much everything. Your analogies for the most part are ill-thought out nonsense. This isn't "akin to why is neighbor 20 blocks away who didn't even know the guy being punished with firebombing when a father 10 years ago did the crime." What the hell does that even mean?

If you're looking for an analogy, try the sanctions the world placed on Iraq for many many years for sponsoring terrorism. Medicine and food supplies into the country were cut for most people. People that had no decision power with how Iraq sponsored terrorism suffered for the institution's crimes. A sad side-effect, but necessary to change the institution itself. Penn State the institution is being sanctioned here. If you're part of that institution, you're going to feel the effects of it. And I'm sure the hope is that all the suffering that is about to occur will positively change the culture of not just how Penn State handles their sports programs, but how the entire institution monitors their own sports programs and puts the fear of god into every other school to not behave as PSU did. This was an institutional failure. It's beside the point that Joe is dead, Jerry is in jail, and the others are gone.

add to the fact , the institution was the main reason for lies and cover up. And it's the benefit from this cover that everyone in the institution benefited. now, that benefit is being removed from the institution and all that took advantage , now have to pay the consequences.

Enron

Banned
OK, lets just ignore the scouts and high-level analysts that are saying otherwise.

Instead, we'll just take your word for it.

Scouts and high level analysts? You mean the "sources"? Puh-lease.

The NCAA's punishement allows the program to continue operating, continue generating revenue for the big10 and its member institutions. It's a loss of 60 scholarships total and postseason bowl bans for who knows how long.

The alternative (death penalty) is a COMPLETE loss of scholarships for a year or more, guarantees the loss of your coaching staff and most of your current players.

You tell me which one of these two is more devastating.

TheNatural

My Member!

If you're looking for an analogy, try the sanctions the world placed on Iraq for many many years for sponsoring terrorism. Medicine and food supplies into the country were cut for most people. People that had no decision power with how Iraq sponsored terrorism suffered for the institution's crimes. A sad side-effect, but necessary to change the institution itself. Penn State the institution is being sanctioned here. If you're part of that institution, you're going to feel the effects of it. And I'm sure the hope is that all the suffering that is about to occur will positively change the culture of not just how Penn State handles their sports programs, but how the entire institution monitors their own sports programs and puts the fear of god into every other school to not behave similarly. This was an institutional failure. It's beside the point that Joe is dead, Jerry is in jail, and the others are gone.

Except no one was forcing Iraq to pay any fines or anything, they were just cut off.

If people really want to make a difference, mail a congressman to support the death penalty for habitual child predators so to support more punishment for people like Sandusky.

Have Paterno removed from all NCAA wins record books and accomplishments vacated, along with Penn State memorabilia of him.

Put away the former AD and President for a long time.

Don't fine, but force Penn State to work as a non profit athletic department, with the proceeds going into a general fund redirected into establishing or upgrading schools on the University for students who would work in fields of law enforcement or social services, along with child protective law.

Things can be done, but the suggested penalties from the NCAA do nothing to anyone involved, probably save fans some money they now won't spend watching a destroyed team, and fine the athletic department money that will just come from the school's general fund and out of students pockets.

Korey

Scouts and high level analysts? You mean the "sources"? Puh-lease.

The NCAA's punishement allows the program to continue operating, continue generating revenue for the big10 and its member institutions. It's a loss of 60 scholarships total and postseason bowl bans for who knows how long.

The alternative (death penalty) is a COMPLETE loss of scholarships for a year or more, guarantees the loss of your coaching staff and most of your current players.

You tell me which one of these two is more devastating.

It's happening in about 12 hours from now. Let's just wait and then tear them apart after that.

beast786

Not to take sides here (as TheNatural should calm down a bit) but I think his point is that people who aren't benefiting from the money will have to pay for it due to the incoming cuts.

So your 17 year laccross player who was not affiliated with PSU until she got a scholarship now has to walk on elsewhere(for more money..perhaps further away...and perhaps she now doesn't make it) or go to PSU and pay more than she should because of the incoming fines....or something like that.

i think his point is that not everyone invloved is actually apart of the scandal but they are now apart of the punishment. So a biology major now have to pay extra to make up for the fines despite never benefiting from any of the football money.

That's his point...I think.

We went over this earlier tho and basically it's collateral damage at this point.

but she would right now would have taken advantage of the money made by the football team based on its institutional lies. And that money rightfully won't be there now.

again, Graham Spanier, joe pa lies and cover up were to protect the institution. And all took advantage of it. now, because the crimes are exposed, the institution and everyone who took advantage , now the institution has to pay the consequences. And if you are linked to it in any form, you are going to pay the consequences, just like when you took the advantages without playing a single down.

money from U of M football pretty much runs the whole athletic department. so if they are enjoying benefit from its success, then they sure will also face the consequences.

TheNatural

My Member!
but she would right now would have taken advantage of the money made by the football team based on its institutional lies. And that money rightfully won't be there now.

SMH.

Penn State made money by lying? If they had reported Sandusky immediately nothing would have come of it, they wouldn't have lost money - and they made none protecting him.

There's was no competitive advance reaped here.

border

They shouldn't send Sandusky to jail - what about his wife, his family, and the unmolested kids his charity might have helped? What's going to happen to them? Why should they be punished for his crimes? Totally unfair.

Forever

Banned
When a corporation gets fined for doing unethical shit, it's not a sufficient excuse to say "well we've fired the leadership involved" and then avoid the payment. You wouldn't see crowds of apologists crying "this is unfair because it's ordinary workers who're being punished herp derp".

No, the institution is being punished, and yes that means the institution might have to slash some wages. That's their fault. I really don't see why this is so hard to understand for some people.

TheNatural

My Member!
They shouldn't send Sandusky to jail - what about his wife, his family, and the unmolested kids his charity might have helped? What's going to happen to them? Why should they be punished for his crimes? Totally unfair.

OMG cause like thats totally the same and all!

SMH.

Penn State made money by lying? If they had reported Sandusky immediately nothing would have come of it, they wouldn't have lost money - and they made none protecting him.

There's was no competitive advance reaped here.

You're saying nothing would have happened to negatively impact the reputation of Penn State if in 1998 PSU outed the sexual predator among their coaching ranks? Good lord almighty.

TheNatural

My Member!
You're saying nothing would have happened to negatively impact the reputation of Penn State if in 1998 PSU outed the sexual predator among their coaching ranks? Good lord almighty.

You think fans would have stopped paying to watch their team?

If anything as had been said many times, Paterno would have been considered a HERO, seen bigger than he was had he done that. The guy who put those kids first above all else.

They would have made that statue of him out of gold if he called the police when he heard.

Kosmo

Banned
The whole cover up was done to save PSU as an institution not even to really save Sandusky. The institution will have to suffer the consequences.

Which is why anything short of the entire football program being shut down is a joke. The last reported numbers are that the football program generated $72M in revenue in 2010 and cleared $53M for the university. Aside from basketball, which makes a little money, football profits support the entire athletic program - knocking that out will force the school to find that money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom