• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The incoming class to Penn State will be impacted. The class being presently recruited can take a red shirt, and compete big time a la USC when they come off it.

Again, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

What player with ANY potential of playing in the NFL is going to stay on a team that won't be in a bowl for FOUR YEARS?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Wow, as much as Paterno deserves some of the punishment he's getting posthumously, reading some of the comments here makes it sound like some of you won't be happy until PSU is shuttered and closed forever.

JoeBoy101

It's not the death penalty.

It's the "wish you were dead" penalty.

I'm impressed the win vacating because it strikes directly at paterno and the people who still worship him. No longer #1 and destroys the records. Beautiful, because I know they are losing their goddamn minds right now.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
USC only had a 1 year post-season ban, and only lost a handful of players to transfer because only the seniors and juniors, who had a ton of time invested into the program, were able to transfer. Any psu football player can transfer, and, I imagine, a number of them will choose to do so as they will not be penalized.

You are way off base here.

USC can recruit 10 5-star recruits a year, Penn State never could.

Northeast recruits are underrated.

I recognize that you are exaggerating greatly here with the 10 5-star comment, but Penn State was usually in the Top 10 in recruiting in recent years.

They were doing great last year until Sandusky hit (Top 5-10 quality), and then they dropped off. They were still doing great this year as well.

TS-08

What player with ANY potential of playing in the NFL is going to stay on a team that won't be in a bowl for FOUR YEARS?

And they'll miss what? The first two years of a chance to reach the new playoffs? Could be a big deal to some of these kids.

braves01

Banned
PSU's roster is gonna be vacated too come the start of the season. What player wouldn't take the opportunity to disassociate himself from the school at no penalty? Other teams will be lobbying hard to get some talent to switch sides.

USC only had a 1 year post-season ban, and only lost a handful of players to transfer because only the seniors and juniors, who had a ton of time invested into the program, were able to transfer. Any psu football player can transfer, and, I imagine, a number of them will choose to do so as they will not be penalized.

Hell, USC probably would have lost Barkley this year if it wasn't for the post season ban.

Have you read the quotes from some of these recruits?

Enough will stay that Penn State can have a base to build off of.

I dont understand the weight of vacating the wins. That's just a technicality; the wins happened, the record happened and its not like people are going to forget the man, especially now

Volimar

Wow, as much as Paterno deserves some of the punishment he's getting posthumously, reading some of the comments here makes it sound like some of you won't be happy until PSU is shuttered and closed forever.

BloodthirstyGAF

I dont understand the weight of vacating the wins. That's just a technicality; the wins happened, the record happened and its not like people are going to forget the man, especially now

Paterno's lagacy is everything to Penn State. It's a source of pride that they can't sweep under the rug like they could if there had been no punishment.

dalVlatko

The sanctions seem appropriate but I thought it was funny how he said a program can't be too big to fail but then went on to explain the reasoning for not using the death penalty with that.

I thought USC had a two year ban? I do remember everyone saying that USC's penalties they would ever come to the dealth penalty again (before this, of course).

ElRenoRaven

It's not the death penalty.

It's the "wish you were dead" penalty.

So very very true. I'm happy with it. I honestly thought that they wouldn't vacate the wins. I really didn't. I would have liked to see the scholarship count dropped even worse but I'll settle for what they did based off the other stuff.

TS-08

Northeast recruits are underrated.

I recognize that you are exaggerating greatly here with the 10 5-star comment, but Penn State was usually in the Top 10 in recruiting in recent years.

They were doing great last year until Sandusky hit (Top 5-10 quality), and then they dropped off. They were still doing great this year as well.

LOL what? No they weren't. Not even close.

Sanjuro

Summary:

-Fine of $60 million (equivalent of one year's revenue for football program) to fund an endowment for victims of child sexual abuse
-Four-year bowl ban
-Four-year scholarship reduction from 25 to 15
-Vacate all wins from 1998-2011
-Five-year probation
-NCAA will pursue sanctions against individuals after criminal proceedings have ended
-Penn State must institute reforms suggested by Section 5.0 of Freeh report
-Penn State must enter into an athletic integrity agreement with the NCAA and B1G
-NCAA will select an independent integrity monitor to report regularly to NCAA and B1G

ibuh61HGM91oNw.gif

Alacrity

Neo Member
Time for the rest of the NCAA to start cherry picking the PSU roster. It should be interesting to see how many players leave. I'm guessing alot...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is worse than a one year ban because if you hear what they said, that $60 million is the equivalent of one year of football revenue for starters. Forcing lesser amounts of scholarships forces them to field lesser quality players on the team, thus having bad records is almost assured and a bowl ban means like a loss of about $40 million ($10 million) per year is lost. When adding the two up, the 'death penalty' is the easier way out. A one year ban only takes 1-2 years to get over. We might see PSU be good again by 2022 now with this. PSU would have preferred the 'death penalty.

THRILLH0

Banned
Did deputy dog just fuck up? Responding to the question about sending a message, the president said they weren't sending a message about anything but this case. Then deputy stepped to the mic and talked about an "enough is enough!" meeting a year ago and yes, they were sending a message that they're in charge.

Way to contradict your boss on live tv dude.

Kosmo

Banned
Letting athletes immediately transfer is huge. Completely open season on that program now. Scholarship reduction isn't as bad as I hoped

The one problem with this is that most schools have all their scholarships locked up. They can't just offer these kids scholarships without taking one away from another kid.

If anyone wants to take a avatar bet, I'll take one that after five years (they'll be 6-6 the first year after sanctions) Penn State will be back to normal.

Don't underestimate the cult and its power on recruits. They love that kind of worship.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Have you read the quotes from some of these recruits?

Enough will stay that Penn State can have a base to build off of.

I can guarantee you none of those recruits thought this would be the punishment handed down by the NCAA.

How about we wait a week or two and then we'll talk about those 'quotes.'

Kwhit10

Vacating wins is literally completely and utterly meaningless.

I bet it's only meaningless to everyone outside of PSU. I bet they are all going bat shit crazy how Paterno Legacy is destroyed. Just look at the reaction when the statue was taken away.

BloodthirstyGAF
Paterno's lagacy is everything to Penn State. It's a source of pride that they can't sweep under the rug like they could if there had been no punishment.

Not when you're the Paternos and obsessed with trivial bullshit like win records.

His legacy was already ruined/tainted when the scandal became public. His wins, however, his record will not be forgotten or wiped in the minds of anyone, not even books written about him will be without them. This gesture however will make him an even bigger martyr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom