• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
^ By saying vacating the wins ruins his image are you not implying that without the wins being eliminated his image would at least be less tarnished?

Big Ten has scheduled a press conference for 10 am CT to address penn state.

Wonder if they will pile on more sanctions? I can't imagine they will have there own conference for nothing.

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/227398596960583681

As a result of the sanctions PSU will be unable to field a competitive team and thus have been removed from big ten competition for 4 seasons.

God that would suck. Badgers need more free wins!

^ Holy fucking shit

Well it does a little, considering recruiting period is mostly over and scholarships are spoken for. (nevermind, maybe)

@John_Infante on Twitter said:
NCAA releases says the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limit for schools that accept PSU transfers.

I don't know if that guy has any credibility, but it sounds like the NCAA is doing everything they can to help the current athletes.

thefro

Big Ten has scheduled a press conference for 10 am CT to address penn state.

Wonder if they will pile on more sanctions? I can't imagine they will have there own conference for nothing.

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/227398596960583681

They'll get banned from the Big Ten Championship game for sure for the length of the bowl ban... maybe lose some $$$ as well. I don't expect the Big Ten to really hammer them beyond that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does anyone else remember those reported rumors that Sandusky pimp young boys to Penn State donors? If that ever becomes truth, this discussion changes dramatically and I would expect more sanctions would come down.

I think that may be why the NCAA said that after legal investigations are over they'll take another look at the case and see if more punishment needs to be handed down.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Umm, current players can transfer with no penalty. How does that punish them?

How is there fair? That directly effects players with where they want to go to school and play. None of the current players or future players had anything to do with the scandal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
^ By saying vacating the wins ruins his image are you not implying that without the wins being eliminated his image would at least be less tarnished?

But that's the thing--the vacating wins isn't for anybody outside of Penn State. It's a method to try and change the culture there, as one of the first lines in the NCAA's written statement talks about how PSU wrongly turned into a "football-first" culture.

This is clearly a slam at that culture and nothing else.

Patryn

As a result of the sanctions PSU will be unable to field a competitive team and thus have been removed from big ten competition for 4 seasons.

God that would suck. Badgers need more free wins!

Forget competitive, at this point we should practically be talking about whether they'll have enough players to field a team, period.

They'll get banned from the Big Ten Championship game for sure for the length of the bowl ban... maybe lose some $$$ as well. I don't expect the Big Ten to really hammer them beyond that.

They wouldn't have been allowed to play in the B1G Championship Game anyway. Postseason ban includes bowls/conference title games.

You need to look at their classes the last few years. They weren't even close to a perreniel Top 10 school in recruiting. You are talking out of your ass.

2010 begs to differ.

2012 was shaping up the same way.

2013 had potential to end up the same way.

Oddly enough Penn State didn't seem to fill up their class in many recent years. Not very smart.

Plinko

How is there fair? That directly effects players with where they want to go to school and play. None of the current players or future players had anything to do with the scandal.

And now they can freely choose to go somewhere else without penalty.

if anything, it benefits them by getting them away from having the lifelong stigma of being associated with that university.

eznark

Banned
Forget competitive, at this point we should practically be talking about whether they'll have enough players to field a team, period.

No shit. Not a single scholarship will remain there. And it's almost August? I can't imagine they'll have a team in a month.

Big Ten is probably going to announce a temporary agreement with Notre Dame to join the conference!

So if I'm reading your ridiculous statement correctly, you think the maximum punishment they should have had was simply a monetary fine and probation.

Yeah, THAT will change the culture there.

The culture has been changed already. This publicity has been enough that something like this won't ever happen again. Next time they hear somebody pushed a kid on a swing, they are going to go to his house, shoot him, cut off his face and wear it as a mask, and write "Child Rapist: Repent" in blood on the wall. Well, maybe not THAT seriously, but I feel this should serve as a warning about putting football above education. That team will be down for a long, long time.

Plinko

No shit. Not a single scholarship will remain there. And it's almost August? I can't imagine they'll have a team in a month.

Big Ten is probably going to announce a temporary agreement with Notre Dame to join the conference!

LOL.

If the Big Ten kicked them out this would be one of the best days I've had in years.

I would expect the B1G press conference to get into the details of the joint NCAA/B1G compliance and reform program. I can't imagine it will have any additional bombshells.

TS-08

2010 begs to differ.

2012 was shaping up the same way.

2013 had potential to end up the same way.

Oddly enough Penn State didn't seem to fill up their class in many recent years. Not very smart.

LOL so one year, when they were 12th on Rivals? That doesnt "beg to differ" with anyhing. Some of their classes weren't even in the Top 25. 2012 and 2013 didn't/wont happen, so that's irrelevant.

Plinko

The culture has been changed already. This publicity has been enough that something like this won't ever happen again. Next time they hear somebody pushed a kid on a swing, they are going to go to his house, shoot him, cut off his face and wear it as a mask, and write "Child Rapist: Repent" in blood on the wall. Well, maybe not THAT seriously, but I feel this should serve as a warning about putting football above education. That team will be down for a long, long time.

I'm referring to the fanbase/students/alumni, not the board of trustees (although with some of the comments they've made I still wonder if anything has changed with some of those trustees).

LOL so one year, when they were 12th on Rivals? That doesnt "beg to differ" with anyhing. Some of their classes weren't even in the Top 25. 2012 and 2013 didn't/wont happen, so that's irrelevant.

It's certainly relevant. It shows what was going to happen if things were progressing normally, which they will be once the sanctions are lifted.

Another year to toss up would be 2006.

Really, Penn State hurt themselves mostly by under recruiting.

Derrick01

Banned
This isn't how we wanted it. Not like this. Is this really going to make Bowden the winningest coach in college football? Wow!

Yup that douchebag is #1 now if you just pretend all those wins never happened.

I live in central Florida so it's going to suck even more today. I'm in gator territory but there's plenty of seminoles to make life more miserable.

I would be willing to take a long term five year avatar bet. Conditioned on the fact that they still remain within the Big 10 conference.

If Penn State isn't 8-4 in the 2018 season, I will use the avatar of someone's choice for a whole year.

I'm confident in enough my assertions that I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.

You are either nuts or don't know anything about college football if you think this is going to happen, lol.

I have heard several people who do know a lot about college football say that they might get kicked out. Not sure why you chose to focus on my post. If there is a huge stigma around PSU I could see other school in their conference not wanting to play there.

TS-08

It's certainly relevant. It shows what was going to happen if things were progressing normally, which they will be once the sanctions are lifted.

Another year to toss up would be 2006.

Really, Penn State hurt themselves mostly by under recruiting.

Or, you overestimated their recruiting in recent years and are trying to minimize the fact that it wasn't nearly as good as you thought.

Penn State is going to be a bad team in a few years wih an unproven coach. Whatever they were doing this year in terms of recruiting will not carry over after a few years of losing records.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So if I'm reading your ridiculous statement correctly, you think the maximum punishment they should have had was simply a monetary fine and probation.

Yeah, THAT will change the culture there.

I don't think that will be a problem. I don't think there is a rampant pedophile coverup problem going on in NCAA football, at least I would hope not. I don't believe these sanctions will do anything to stop this same thing going forward. The legal proceedings are a better deterrent, all these kinds of sanctions do is hurt current players and coaches not involved.

And now they can freely choose to go somewhere else without penalty.

if anything, it benefits them by getting them away from having the lifelong stigma of being associated with that university.

Yeah, picking up and moving somewhere else in the country isn't a penalty at all.

I'm able to separate the evil of Sandusky and the ego and ignorance and outright incompetence of Curley, Schulz and Paterno in handling this matter from the current staff and players and the school.

Nothing happened to Syracuse. Bernie Fine was fired for molesting students and they still had a good recruiting year.

Because Bernie was caught raping boys in Syracuse's basketball locker room? Bernie created a charity to help little boys, adopted little boys, with the goal of mentoring them and then raping 'em? Numerous men/boys from numerous decades have all told pretty much the same exact story of how Fine manipulated and raped them? To be blunt, your argument is idiotic.

NCAA has announced they're looking at waiving scholarship limits on schools accepting PSU transfers.

Open season.

Confirms what Albert Breer said on Twitter last night about other colleges sifting through Penn State's roster looking for talent.

JoeBoy101

Yup that douchebag is #1 now if you just pretend all those wins never happened.

I live in central Florida so it's going to suck even more today. I'm in gator territory but there's plenty of seminoles to make life more miserable.

Thought Eddie Robinson is #1 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom