• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Not when you're the Paternos and obsessed with trivial bullshit like win records.

I bet it's only meaningless to everyone outside of PSU. I bet they are all going bat shit crazy how Paterno Legacy is destroyed. Just look at the reaction when the statue was taken away.

To you and me, yes. But to Penn State nation? A travesty and twisting the knife.

But who gives a shit about what the fucking lunatic pedo enablers think?

Volimar

Vacating wins is literally completely and utterly meaningless.

It literally isn't. I don't think you understand how much legacy means at colleges with big football programs. I went to Ohio State, and I'll tell you that it's a big part of the school's identity. Having the wins vacated will hurt recruitment and be a reminder of this black eye on PSU's image for much longer than the bowl ban will.

ElRenoRaven

I bet it's only meaningless to everyone outside of PSU. I bet they are all going bat shit crazy how Paterno Legacy is destroyed. Just look at the reaction when the statue was taken away.

I hate to say it but I'd actually love to have cameras all over Penn State today. It's going to be oh so interesting.

Vacating wins is literally completely and utterly meaningless.

To you and the fired coaches who lost to those jokers it is. To Penn State and Paterno's legacy, it nullifies a lot of that stature. He's 8th on the list, their school has lost 13 years of win and prestige.

The NCAA came down hard which is some what suprising since they usually get things wrong. This is worse than the death penality by far. It will take at least 5 years to recover and i imagine thier team will be plundered and depleted by seasons begining. Also the current coach cant leave unless he wants to pay back his curent contract which is 4 million i think.

But the whole concept of vacating wins is lost on me, you can't pretend games did not happen, i think it one of the contrived penalites.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
F1hql.png

VMJwy.png

BI6yS.png

Should have also banned all home games for 4 seasons, with matches being played elsewhere and no home fans allowed in games. PSU reimburses for lost Ticket sales.

eznark

Banned
It literally isn't. I don't think you understand how much legacy means at colleges with big football programs. I went to Ohio State, and I'll tell you that it's a big part of the school's identity. Having the wins vacated will hurt recruitment and be a reminder of this black eye on PSU's image for much longer than the bowl ban will.

You contend that without the wins being vacated people will forget that Penn State harbored and enabled little boy rape?

I've been involved in college recruiting (not football) and legacy wins and losses mean just about nothing. How has the team done under the current coach, what is the system and how often am I on TV. Those are the things that matter. For football, does your program produce high draft picks. Legacy means so very little to blue chip prospects.

It's hilarious that you guys think Paterno's legacy would have been fine but for these wins being vacated. Give me a break. Guy was ruined the moment he looked the other way as his boy fucked little boys.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
NCAA is out of line, so they punish the kids playing ball now.. especially now that this had nothing to do with the football team.

Jerry Sandusky is facing his time in court, Paterno is dead, and the others will have their time in court.

This serves no purpose at all.. vacating wins from 1998 when Joe had no right to fire Sandusky? What's the point of that?

If you just wanted to do the following, I support it:

-Five-year probation
-NCAA will pursue sanctions against individuals after criminal proceedings have ended
-Penn State must institute reforms suggested by Section 5.0 of Freeh report
-Penn State must enter into an athletic integrity agreement with the NCAA and B1G
-NCAA will select an independent integrity monitor to report regularly to NCAA and B1G

The bowl ban, the scholarship reductions and the vacating of wins seems like too much.

LOL what? No they weren't. Not even close.

Yeah they were.

4/5 star players they lost as a result:

Noah Spence
Joey O'Connors
Armani Reeves
Camren Williams
Tommy Schutt

Demetrius Cox was another guy who was probably (Read: 95% chance) going PSU until the scandal hit.

They did lose JJ Denman as well, but that was pre-scandal.

Those are just the four-star guys.

I'm not counting guys like JP Holtz who should've been rated that highly, but weren't.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
NCAA is out of line, so they punish the kids playing ball now.. especially now that this had nothing to do with the football team.

Jerry Sandusky is facing his time in court, Paterno is dead, and the others will have their time in court.

This serves no purpose at all.. vacating wins from 1998 when Joe had no right to fire Sandusky? What's the point of that?

The bowl ban, the scholarship reductions and the vacating of wins seems like too much.
Argument is easy. PSU got a competitive advantage by not firing sandusky when they first knew about the problem. Any year when Sandusky was around was theoretically competitive advantage because he was on payroll and under a normal circumstance should have been fire.

I can guarantee you none of those recruits thought this would be the punishment handed down by the NCAA.

How about we wait a week or two and then we'll talk about those 'quotes.'

On Mike and Mike, Golic said that PSU has already had some top recruits decommitt in the last day or 2. I bet the top QB in the nation will decide to go somewhere else, and that will kill them. They will wind up being a 4-8 team this year and that will start to erode the fan base.

pompidu

Your tag suits you

JoeBoy101

Umm, current players can transfer with no penalty. How does that punish them?

Yeah they were.

Noah Spence
Joey O'Connors
Armani Reeves
Camren Williams
Tommy Schutt

Demetrius Cox was another guy who was probably (Read: 95% chance) going PSU until the scandal hit.

I'm not counting guys like JP Holtz who should've been rated that highly, but weren't.
So which one is it? A bunch of guys left or
I was laughed at, when I said that the Sandusky case wasn't enough to deter recruits from coming to the school.

I was spot on there.

TS-08

Yeah they were.

Noah Spence
Joey O'Connors
Armani Reeves
Camren Williams
Tommy Schutt

You need to look at their classes the last few years. They weren't even close to a perreniel Top 10 school in recruiting. You are talking out of your ass.

I can guarantee you none of those recruits thought this would be the punishment handed down by the NCAA.

How about we wait a week or two and then we'll talk about those 'quotes.'

You underestimate the core greatly.

They'll still have two to three four star recruits locked up.

Of the present list, the following will be loyal:

Adam Breneman
Brendan Mahon
Garrett Sickels

Probable Flips:

Ross Douglas
Dorian Johnson
Christian Hackenburg

It's hard to judge with the three stars. Some of them may not have the opportunity to flip because the scholarships that once existed for them may be taken off the table. This case probably exists for fraud four star types like Brendan Mahon as well.

ElFly

These sanctions are a joke.

They will be back in 4 years and bigger than ever.

Is that really a problem?

Because the whole idea is preventing child abuse to be covered up by college authorities and this seems to hit at that.

Whether Penn is ever successful at college football again or not is irrelevant.

ElRenoRaven

They just said that they took these terms to Penn State and they just accepted them. No back and forth or nothing. Penn State just accepted them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You underestimate the core greatly.

They'll still have two to three four star recruits locked up.

Of the present list, the following will be loyal:

Adam Breneman
Brendan Mahon
Garrett Sickels

Probable Flips:

Ross Douglas
Dorian Johnson
Christian Hackenburg

It's hard to judge with the three stars. Some of them may not have the opportunity to flip because the scholarships that once existed for them may be taken off the table. This case probably exists for fraud four star types like Brendan Mahon as well.

Again, we'll wait a week or two and then see what happens. I'm fairly confident in my stance.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Ok, great that players aren't being punished. Never mind the actual students who will be punished by the resulting loss in revenue for the school. It's not like that jackass Corbett (whose actual level of involvement in the scandal will probably never be revealed) will just keep on cutting funding to the state's schools.

Volimar

What the fuck?

Either they're trying not to punish the players, or they're really kicking the shit out of PSU while it's down. Probably both, and I don't mind in the slightest.

Big Ten has scheduled a press conference for 10 am CT to address penn state.

Wonder if they will pile on more sanctions? I can't imagine they will have there own conference for nothing.

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/227398596960583681

I guess if there's a bright side to this, it means less competition for bowls now with both OSU and PSU out of the running for a bit. Really does make Ohio State's "scandal" look like a tea party in comparison...

Talamius

They just said that they took these terms to Penn State and they just accepted them. No back and forth or nothing. Penn State just accepted them.

One wonders if there was something to the rumor (baselessly?) floating around that if PSU appealed, the NCAA was just going to remove them.

Does anyone else remember those reported rumors that Sandusky pimp young boys to Penn State donors? If that ever becomes truth, this discussion changes dramatically and I would expect more sanctions would come down.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

So if I'm reading your ridiculous statement correctly, you think the maximum punishment they should have had was simply a monetary fine and probation.

Yeah, THAT will change the culture there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom