• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
If there is one thing to learn from this incident and others is that you should always go to your city/county police if you are in serious trouble. Never go to university police. They will always cover it to try not to hurt the university's reputation.
Though it won't necessarily help. Wasn't it the actual city/county people that buried the Jerramy Stevens rape case at UW?

samus i am said:
My point is we don't know what happened yet. For all we know the conversation could have went like this:

JoePa: Tim, you won't believe what I just heard about Sandusky.
Tim Curley: Oh shit, no way. I will get a hold of Gary Schultz and we will take care of it.
JoePa: Thanks for looking into this.
You forgot the next line in the script.

JoePa (to self): Now that I have fulfilled my legal obligations, I can safely ignore the implications of this and act as though everything's a-ok!

KHarvey16

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Boy, is this guy right! I'm going to read the rest now.

...he has been set up by raped children! What are this kids plotting???
You know what they say about raped children...give them six inches and they take a mile.

That's terrible.

I can't tell who is a Penn State alum in this thread or if they really care about Joe Pa. Who gives a fuck about him. Let him eat Sandusky Blitz.

Sanjuro

KHarvey16 said:
You know what they say about raped children...give them six inches and they take a mile.

That's terrible.
M1YAg.png

Cyan said:
You forgot the next line in the script.

JoePa (to self): Now that I have fulfilled my legal obligations, I can safely ignore the implications of this and act as though everything's a-ok!

Kind of my point. At this point we would have to be mind readers to know Joe was trying to cover it up. Let's just wait for all of the facts to come in.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Boy, is this guy right! I'm going to read the rest now.

...he has been set up by raped children! What are this kids plotting???

Har...har har. OK, using "set up" obscured my point. What I meant is that there's this narrative being put forward that it's all about Joe Paterno, which certainly sells in the media, when the problem seems much bigger than that. Many more heads than Joe's should roll.

Sanjuro

DBebm5 said:
Har...har har. OK, using "set up" obscured my point. What I meant is that there's this narrative being put forward that it's all about Joe Paterno, which certainly sells in the media, when the problem seems much bigger than that. Many more heads than Joe's should roll.
Well the fact he is set to coach this weekend is a pretty big deal.

Schmitty said:
Penn State students at JoePa's house now with supporting signs
What could they possibly say?

Cyan

Banned
samus i am said:
Kind of my point. At this point we would have to be mind readers to know Joe was trying to cover it up. Let's just wait for all of the facts to come in.
Actions speak louder than internal monologue.

Or in this case, lack of action.

C Jones

Cyan said:
Actions speak louder than internal monologue.

Or in this case, lack of action.
Easy. JoePa wears many hats, but none of them give him time to make a couple of phone calls.

Maxim726X

samus i am said:
Not sure if you read this, but he alerted University officials when he got the news.

I heard something about it... But he runs that school. He should have said something then. Just firing him and letting him abuse someone else is just as wrong.

schuelma said:
Joe Pa holding some sort of surreal off the cuff PC outside his window

Seriously, this entire thing seems so out of character for him. Everything about him has always exuded class (sorry NHL-Gaf...). If he did do something wrong I would be willing to bet it was a crime of carelessness rather than intent.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Hey, uh, you get that rape thing I sent ya?

NO no man ... his job is too important to be bothered with following up on a rape cases. No way his mind was in the right place. Clearly thinking of the X's and the O's ... the important thing ... Penn State Football.

Maxim726X

brucewaynegretzky said:
Seriously, this entire thing seems so out of character for him. Everything about him has always exuded class (sorry NHL-Gaf...). If he did do something wrong I would be willing to bet it was a crime of carelessness rather than intent.

Bullshit. Paterno fires him and now he's free to continue abusing children.

No fucking excuse.

samus i am said:
Wow, it just hit me. Paterno is finished.

Mike Missanelli host a sports talk show on 97.5 in Philly and he is a PSU alum and he said today that from talking to people with the university there is no way Joe Pa keeps his job.

yankeehater said:
Mike Missanelli host a sports talk show on 97.5 in Philly and he is a PSU alum and he said today that from talking to people with the university there is no way Joe Pa keeps his job.

I'm starting to see that now.

Now I'm thinking about going to Beaver Stadium for the Nebraska game. Should be super historic.

Sanjuro

Schmitty said:
What is with your vendetta against JoePa?! I get it, you think that he didn't do enough but don't you think a man who has been around for that long and has done many great things for the university deserves some reasonable doubt?! He wasn't the one who did the crime. He did what he thought was expected of him.

Yes, morally he could have done more, and so could have all of the other chain of command.
I think you should read more into it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
samus i am said:
I'm starting to see that now.

Now I'm thinking about going to Beaver Stadium for the Nebraska game. Should be super historic.

Won't be good for the coach to go out with a loss...

Saturday's game is going to be crazy.

I've read about no fewer than four different student movements in preparation for the game, including:

-A Blue Out
-A Teal Out (teal being the color for victims of sexual assault)
-Don't show up
-Be silent during the game

Et cetera, et cetera. It will be interesting to see if any take hold.

Novid

Banned
BertramCooper said:

I've read about no fewer than four different student movements in preparation for the game, including:

-A Blue Out
-Don't show up

ESPN on the case... years too late.

Sanjuro

BertramCooper said:

-A Blue Out
-Don't show up

I would imagine that would be enough to make a athlete cry.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BertramCooper said:

-A Blue Out
-Don't show up

I just do not see how Paterno will be the coach Saturday. This thing is just insane.

schuelma said:
I just do not see how Paterno will be the coach Saturday. This thing is just insane.
Maybe he'll be in the box? Unless he's been in the box already most of the season and not on the sidelines.

Novid

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Well I was on point with my "occupy" comment. Fucking idiots.

MHqH8.jpg

and then people stated I was silly when i called these guys out on there motives. Not the idea or the message - the motive.

brucewaynegretzky said:
I don't know about that. If what people here believe is true then maybe. But I wouldn't be surprised to see JoePa come out pissed and tell people he actually did follow up and was lead to believe it was investigated and that Sandusky was innocent. JoePa seems pissed. If that's the case you have to believe there's a reason he feels like he's being thrown under the bus.
If he thought the investigation was done and Sandusky was innocent why did he keep McQuery on his staff? If Sandusky is innocent doesn that make his WR coach a liar?

schuelma

Sigh. PSU students chanting seven nation army outside Joe Pa's house. A regular fucking pep rally.

schuelma

Maxim726X said:
Yeah... Not sure I get it. Chance to get on TV maybe?

I think its more kids are stupid and they love Joe Pa. I doubt they are thinking very rationally at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom