• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Cyan said:
In fact, they can erase a school from history. Like what happened to the first University of Alabama.
The NCAA does what Sherman couldn't.

Sanjuro

GoldenEye 007 said:
Is it an NCAA bylaw violation? No? Then they can't touch it. Or, they could try... then they would get sued to oblivion and probably wouldn't survive it....wait.

Yes, yes NCAA. Death penalty now!!!

The best chance for the NCAA getting involved is if there is a general provision in the bylaws stating that an institution is obligated to follow the law, etc. etc. Which again, I doubt because that reaches beyond the scope of the supposed purpose of the NCAA.
...but you didn't address the Gator fucking!

They need to do what's best for their image, product, and sponsors. I don't think they will get involved...yet. If Penn States bungles this continuously from here forward then you will certainly see some sort of intervene.

mre

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

They need to do what's best for their image, product, and sponsors. I don't think they will get involved...yet. If Penn States bungles this continuously from here forward then you will certainly see some sort of intervene.
Probably because no one knows what the fuck a "gator" is.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I did. I was asking if the gata fucking was a NCAA violation. I'm going to wager no. Therefore, no, they could not get involved.

Now, if the gatas being fucked were bought and provided for potential recruits or current athletes by boosters or the administration. Then you'd have a case for the NCAA getting involved. But it would be for providing impermissible benefits rather than fucking gatas.

Sanjuro

mre said:
Probably because no one knows what the fuck a "gator" is.
tumblr_l4g9t4GOXB1qai5a2o1_400.gif

Fox318 said:
I honestly don't see how they play the game this week.
Wat is even going on in here. Of course they play it. It's just going to be really awkward.

Does Lil Red show up? Maybe he should stay in Nebraska.

Xeke

Banned
I don't get why people are calling for the death of the Penn State football program over this. Yeah sure fire some of the people who helped cover it up but it is not the fault of the players or the current coaches.

mre

Xeke said:
I don't get why people are calling for the death of the Penn State football program over this. Yeah sure fire some of the people who helped cover it up but it is not the fault of the players or the current coaches.
Hold up, now.

Sanjuro

Xeke said:
...smh

Antimatter said:
God, this is the fucking worst.

A bit a mumbling about praying for victims... but anyway WE ARE, PENN STATE! WE ARE, PENN STATE! WE ARE, PENN STATE!

Guy does not give a fuck.

What do you think about the one I linked? He talks from his window about cheer on the team beat Nebraska. Crowd seemed into it.

joe paterno is a fucking moron. i just saw his quote on espn "the kids are the rear victims, and we should say a prayer for them". hey asshole, maybe you should have done something more than just casually mention it to the AD?

i mean what did paterno do the monday morning after he told the AD and this child molesting douchebag walks into his office? "oh hey whats up sandusky? get that child molesting thing taken care of? cool. now onto this weeks gameplan..."

paterno didn't molest the kids but if this is accurate he is a scumbag too

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Say it was legal to have sex with alligators. The entire team and coaching staff started to fuck them...I mean get real nasty, cumming all over gators. Sponsors decide to cut all of their adverts and fans boycott the team, but nobody in Florida wants to stop fucking those gators. Will NCAA allow the gator fucking to continue!?
You mean this isn't already happening?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
joe paterno is a fucking moron. i just saw his quote on espn "the kids are the rear victims, and we should say a prayer for them". hey asshole, maybe you should have done something more than just casually mention it to the AD?

i mean what did paterno do the monday morning after he told the AD and this child molesting douchebag walks into his office? "oh hey whats up sandusky? get that child molesting thing taken care of? cool. now onto this weeks gameplan..."

I think the incident that Joe Pa knew about came after Sandusky retired. You're still right though. I'm also pretty sure that if there were dozens more incidents and he was doing it on campus that Joe Pa surely had to know.

Someone please make it stop.

"@dan_bernstein FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start."

Sanjuro

FrenchMovieTheme said:

If you are just getting into the meat of this story, this is the most organized post to get you on the right page. Also, the 23 page jury report which makes Paterno look like a moron.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/264787/grand-jury-report.pdf

tokkun said:
Here is a summary of the case against Paterno, since many seem to be confused on why he is coming under fire:

Paterno must have known that Sandusky was a pedophile
  • There was a 1998 investigation into Sandusky for similar charges that Paterno was almost certainly aware of. Sandusky is pushed out of the football program the next year.
  • Paterno receives an eyewitness account of Sandusky raping a child by a member of his staff.
  • In case there is any doubt over whether Paterno thinks the witness might be lying/not credible, he goes on to be promote him to WR coach within 2 years of the incident.
  • Nowhere in the grand jury report or in Paterno's statement is there any indication that Paterno confronted Sandusky about these serious allegations to get his side of the story, despite having known the man for over 30 years.

Paterno had every reason to believe Sandusky was continuing to molest children
  • Had there been an investigation or charges filed after the 2002 incident, Paterno would have known about it. He observes that nothing has come of the rape incident.
  • Sandusky continues to bring young boys to Penn State events that Paterno is present at years later, including at least one closed practice. It is reasonable to believe that Paterno observed Sandusky in the company of these boys.

Paterno may have helped to protect Sandusky
  • When Paterno went to his superiors about the shower incident, one claims that Paterno told them it was harmless horsing around and the other claims that it was vaguely reported as something "inappropriate".
  • Paterno's public statement says that the graduate student told him that there was inappropriate behavior but it wasn't clear that it was serious.
  • The graduate assistant's testimony states that he clearly observed rape.
  • We don't know whether the graduate assistant reported rape to Paterno and Paterno downplayed it or if the graduate student chose not to give Paterno the true story for some reason, but there is room for doubt.

Salaadin

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Either Paterno has totally lost his mind with a quote like that or you made one hell of a typo.

outlawedprod said:

"@dan_bernstein FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start."

I follow Dan Bernstein too...this may be just the tip of the iceburg...so horrible/

mre

outlawedprod said:

Is this saying that Sandusky was supplying other men with boys, or that there are currently adult men who had "curious" relationships with Sandusky when they were younger?

Both are awful, but the first would be just about the only way this situation could be any worse.

mre said:
Is this saying that Sandusky was supplying other men with boys, or that there are currently adult men who had "curious" relationships with Sandusky when they were younger?

Both are awful, but the first would be just about the only way this situation could be any worse.

What I got out of it is that there might be a fraternity of older perverts that Sandusky supplied boys to and that they were using this charity organization for a front.

Sanjuro

mre said:

mre said:

I'm going to parse that as that people that were part of second mile at the time that are now adults are currently being checked to see if they were victims too. I would hope the former isn't a possibility....

JimtotheHum said:
What I got out of it is that there might be a fraternity of older perverts that Sandusky supplied boys to and that they were using this charity organization for a front.

Yep, it sounds like Sandusky was running a child sex ring through this program. No one would suspect a thing was happening since the program was designed to help children.

mre

JimtotheHum said:
Whelp... I think it's time to just raze and salt State College and University Park. No reason to really start over.

Xeke said:

oBviously right now the kids who may have had their lives destroyed (remember, Sandusky's program dealt with already at risk kids, he fucked them up even more), but if a Penn State football program is to continue at all, EVERYBODY top to bottom has to go. The entire football program needs to be nuked. I said it earlier, but if you were the parent of a 16 or 17 year old recruit, and Joe Pa or one of his cronies (especially the red headed one) are in your living room telling you they will take care of your kid and make sure nothing bad happens to him, how do you take it seriously? Right or wrong, Penn St. has the rep of "Kiddie Fucker U" right now, and the only way to change that is to distance themselves completely from the current administration for the next 2-3 years, not winning B1G TEN titles.

Branduil

JimtotheHum said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/s...paternos-exit.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all?src=tp

"But on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of Mr. McQueary’s version of events called Mr. Paterno’s claim into question. The person said Mr. McQueary had told those in authority the explicit details of what he saw, including in his face-to-face meeting with Mr. Paterno the day after the incident."

For those people wondering how much Paterno knew.
He has to go, now. Not at the end of the season, now.

East Lake

outlawedprod said:
What do you think about the one I linked? He talks from his window about cheer on the team beat Nebraska. Crowd seemed into it.
Just as bad, I'm glad his legacy is gone. And sorta related to the Bernstein tweet, Deadspin is saying Second mile knew about it. http://deadspin.com/5857693/youth-o...rry-sandusky-fraternize-with-youth-until-2008

Also there's a video on youtube with Sandusky teaching tackling techniques... With a kid who is probably victim 4. I'm not even going to link it.

B.K.

Sandusky deserves nothing less than life in prison. I hope that everyone that knew what was going on and covered it up gets lengthy prison terms too.

GoldenEye 007 said:
I'm going to parse that as that people that were part of second mile at the time that are now adults are currently being checked to see if they were victims too. I would hope the former isn't a possibility....

There's no reason to cryptically phrase it as "older adult men with 'curious' relationships" if they meant adults who may have been abused by Sandusky when they were younger. They would just say that directly.

They're implying a child sex ring or something.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
There's no reason to cryptically phrase it as "older adult men with 'curious' relationships" if they meant adults who may have been abused by Sandusky when they were younger. They would just say that directly.

They're implying a child sex ring or something.
But.....

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ninja Scooter said:
oBviously right now the kids who may have had their lives destroyed (remember, Sandusky's program dealt with already at risk kids, he fucked them up even more), but if a Penn State football program is to continue at all, EVERYBODY top to bottom has to go. The entire football program needs to be nuked. I said it earlier, but if you were the parent of a 16 or 17 year old recruit, and Joe Pa or one of his cronies (especially the red headed one) are in your living room telling you they will take care of your kid and make sure nothing bad happens to him, how do you take it seriously? Right or wrong, Penn St. has the rep of "Kiddie Fucker U" right now, and the only way to change that is to distance themselves completely from the current administration for the next 2-3 years, not winning B1G TEN titles.

There's no way the PSU program continues as it is now without a purging. There will be innocent casualties in this and some of those people may have a hard time getting future work on another team but I don't see how a single recruit can go to them now.

rdrr gnr

That video is just unsettling. Shoot me if ever in my dotage I am remotely complacent in enabling such an atrocity.

Xeke said:

The insane power that college football coaches and programs wield on university campuses is at the very heart of this issue. Do you think that ADs and VPs would shovel things under the table like this if it was a university professor that was abusing children? Things like this happen specifically to protect a deified coach and a cash cow of a football program. As such I feel that it would be totally right for the NCAA to hit Penn State where it counts and really come down on the football program. It is harsh on the current players, I agree, but it seems the best way that in the future a school sure as heck better think twice before they considering covering up crimes to protect a sports program.

mre

truly101 said:
There's no way the PSU program continues as it is now without a purging. There will be innocent casualties in this and some of those people may have a hard time getting future work on another team but I don't see how a single recruit can go to them now.
Honestly, they should release all of their athletes from scholarship and appeal to the NCAA for a waiver of 1-year requirement that the kid sit out a year.

Antimatter said:
God, this is the fucking worst.

A bit a mumbling about praying for victims... but anyway WE ARE, PENN STATE! WE ARE, PENN STATE! WE ARE, PENN STATE!

Guy does not give a fuck.

Gotta say that was so surreal to watch. To turn into a football chant? He either doesn't care or completely has no clue how serious the situation is. Forget about the football and the school pride, Joe, this is a billion times more important. But then again, this kind of reaction pretty much explains what happened in 2002. Report it once, go back to football and then ignore the whole thing.

quaere

outlawedprod said:
http://live.psu.edu/story/56285
"We hear those of you who feel betrayed and we want to assure all of you that the Board will take swift, decisive action. "
You forgot the next line...
At its regular meeting on Friday, November 11, 2011, the Board will appoint a Special Committee, members of which are currently being identified, to undertake a full and complete investigation of the circumstances that gave rise to the Grand Jury Report.
Because the best way to take swift and decisive action is to form a committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom