• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude Abides said:
I wonder if and how the reaction would have gone differently if we weren't in the middle of CFB season.
Imagine if the indictment had come this Friday instead of last Friday.

It would be pure chaos. Well, it's already pure chaos. It would have been bedlam.

Mrbob

This is amazing how people in power still try to do everything they can to keep their jobs, even in such a heinous act as this.

Clean everyone out and start over. This is your legacy JoePa. Should have done the right thing years ago. Be happy you won't be going to jail too.

C Jones said:
What exactly made you turn the corner?
The picture of him outside of his window. There is way too much media attention on him. I still think he shouldn't be fired, but it's going to happen.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
BertramCooper said:
Saturday's game is going to be crazy.

I've read about no fewer than four different student movements in preparation for the game, including:

-A Blue Out
-A Teal Out (teal being the color for victims of sexual assault)
-Don't show up
-Be silent during the game

Et cetera, et cetera. It will be interesting to see if any take hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXoXdIJQ7I&feature=channel_video_title

With those kids at the game there is absolutely no chance for silence.

Mrbob

BertramCooper said:
It reminds me of the blind devotion of the Tressel loyalists.

Only ten million times worse, given the nature of the transgressions.

Covering up trading tattoos for merchandise versus covering up child rape for nearly a decade, who can truly see the difference?

Barrett2

GodDuckman said:
Gotta wonder if the Death Penalty is a possibility here. Then again, if what MIAMI did didn't get them one, this won't either.

What?? Who was murdered?

Alligatorjandro said:
I dont see how Paterno can coach another game after this.

He's lucky to not be inside a jail cell right now. His entire defense is that "yeah, people told me about child rape, but I was all 'lol, not my problem, bro."

lawblob said:
What?? Who was murdered?

He's lucky to not be inside a jail cell right now. His entire defense is that "yeah, people told me about child rape, but I was all 'lol, not my problem, bro."
Holy hyperbole batman! Where are you getting this from?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
GodDuckman said:
Gotta wonder if the Death Penalty is a possibility here. Then again, if what MIAMI did didn't get them one, this won't either.

What NCAA violations are possibly in play here? Can they even do anything?

samus i am said:
I still think he shouldn't be fired,
the more I think about it, the more I do.

I'm trying to imagine being okay with working with someone who I've been expressly told by someone I trust is actively preying on and fucking children. Nope, I can't imagine it. I can't imagine not going to the fucking cops expeditiously. Anyone who would accept such a man and anyone who did in this case has a problem that they need to deal with outside of the spotlight and pedestal that is college football.

Like in their own homes, at their church, whatever.

This shit is sickening.

lawblob said:
yes.

darkside31337 said:
If this isn't "Lack of Institutional Control", then nothing is. I mean, I get that LOIC has an entirely different meaning in the context of the NCAA, but Sandusky used his power and influence as a member of the PSU coaching staff to do what he did. He wouldn't have had the means to start his charity without his job at Penn State. Combine that with what looks to be a sloppy coverup on an institutional level, I think that should absolutely earn some kind of sanction from the NCAA.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
GodDuckman said:
Despite what you may think, fucking little kids in the ass is not an NCAA violation. Crazy, I know. Now, if Sandusky had bought a recruit a sandwich and Paterno knew about and failed to report it... well, now we've got a problem.

darkside31337 said:

"The NCAA still has the power to ban schools from competing in a sport without any preliminary sanctions in cases of particularly serious violations."

I'm pretty sure that national laws supersede NCAA regulations, much like they do in the NFL. Off-field conduct is likely a part of that.

Barrett2

GodDuckman said:
"The NCAA still has the power to ban schools from competing in a sport without any preliminary sanctions in cases of particularly serious violations."

I'm pretty sure that national laws supersede NCAA regulations, much like they do in the NFL. Off-field conduct is likely a part of that.

lol

mre said:
Despite what you may think, fucking little kids in the ass is not an NCAA violation. Crazy, I know. Now, if Sandusky had bought a recruit a sandwich and Paterno knew about and failed to report it... well, now we've got a problem.
You can buy a kid a sandwich, you just can't give him any condiments for that sandwich.

hoos30

BertramCooper said:
The NCAA has no reason to get involved.

Penn State football is done. Finished. Over.

An NCAA smackdown would be totally pointless.
if the NCAA doesn't slam PSU, they just need to shut down their infractions division. Nothing any othere school has ever done has approached this level of depravity.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
hoos30 said:
if the NCAA doesn't slam PSU, they just need to shut down their infractions division. Nothing any othere school has ever done has approached this level of depravity.
I don't know that the NCAA has a statute for child sodomy. Someone mentioned lack of institutional control and you can certainly make a case for that. This would be the first time I'm aware the NCAA would lay down infractions in regards to someones physical or mental well being. It would be one hell of a precedent. Next time there is a Duke Lacross case where the rape does happen, or the player murder at UVA or any other situation, does the NCAA need to impose sanctions? Where does the line draw?

Zep

Banned
truly101 said:
Next time there is a Duke Lacross case where the rape does happen, or the player murder at UVA or any other situation, does the NCAA need to impose sanctions? Where does the line draw?

Are you trying to compare those incidents with this one? Because this one went all the way up the chain of command to the university president and still nothing was done. That is where it doesn't compare.

InertiaXr

truly101 said:
player murder at UVA

A single case between 2 athletes that is immediately taken control of by the police has little to nothing to do with a case that is discovered by police in 2011 when the initial knowledge of it happening on campus was in 2002, in terms of what the athletic department and school needs to do. I'm not sure why you would ever compare these situations, unless your just stupid? Come on dude, might as well say speeding is the same as murder, WHERES DA LINE??

truly101 said:
I don't know that the NCAA has a statute for child sodomy. Someone mentioned lack of institutional control and you can certainly make a case for that. This would be the first time I'm aware the NCAA would lay down infractions in regards to someones physical or mental well being. It would be one hell of a precedent. Next time there is a Duke Lacross case where the rape does happen, or the player murder at UVA or any other situation, does the NCAA need to impose sanctions? Where does the line draw?
I do not think there is a case for LOIC either. LOIC is clear in specifying that it is a systemic lack of compliance of NCAA rules that would cause such a charge to be levied.

I do not believe NCAA has jurisdiction in this case since none of their bylaws cover this. Unless they have some catch-all bylaw for following the law in regards to other non-athletics situations, which I highly doubt.

Any sanctions from this are going to come from a court of law, the office of the Penn St president - after the dust settles within the Penn St administration, the state legislature, the governor's mansion, or state board of governors.

mre

GoldenEye 007 said:
Any sanctions from this are going to come from a court of law, the office of the Penn St president - after the dust settles within the Penn St administration, the state legislature, the governor's mansion, or state board of governors.
Also from the recruits, some of whom are already reacting negatively and removing PSU from the list of schools that they are considering.

Cyan

Banned
hoos30 said:
NCAA bylaws are for amateurism and the like (i.e. trivial shit). Not for actual criminal activity.

mre

Cyan said:
NCAA bylaws are for amateurism and the like (i.e. trivial shit). Not for actual criminal activity.
What if Sandusky had stolen a sandwich and given it to a recruit?

hoos30

What I don't get, if any of this is true, is why Sandusky hasn't already blown his own brains out. Does he think he's gonna get away with it??

tokkun

Fenderputty said:
We shall see. I think it would be a PR nightmare to not do anything. Then again ... This is the NCAA.

What is good PR in this case? If they take away some scholarships, it will just look petty. I don't see what they can do short of completely shutting down the program that would measure up to the severity of the crimes.

Sanjuro

hoos30 said:
What I don't get, if any of this is true, is why Sandusky hasn't already blown his own brains out. Does he think he's gonna get away with it??
He gets free shower sex out of the deal. That is why the death penalty will work best in this case. His anus is probably already prepared.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
InertiaXr said:
A single case between 2 athletes that is immediately taken control of by the police has little to nothing to do with a case that is discovered by police in 2011 when the initial knowledge of it happening on campus was in 2002, in terms of what the athletic department and school needs to do. I'm not sure why you would ever compare these situations, unless your just stupid? Come on dude, might as well say speeding is the same as murder, WHERES DA LINE??

My just stupid? Anyway, I'm not arguing that the NCAA cannot get involved, what I'm saying is they don't have precedent in getting involved in matters of criminal activity. I can give a basketball recruit $1000 and while I've committed a serious NCAA violation, I haven't broken a law. Who's to say if the NCAA has the authority to sanction because of years of child rape in a football program, why can't they sanction another school because another athlete murders another? What if the school knew there were issues between the two for months before the murder happened? Murder and rape happen to both be capital offenses BTW.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Why can't they? They could remove the team entirely if they wanted to.
Because this more than likely doesn't violate any NCAA rules? NCAA can't punish a school for violations that don't exist within NCAA bylaws.

mre

GoldenEye 007 said:
Because this more than likely doesn't violate any NCAA rules? NCAA can't punish a school for violations that don't exist within NCAA bylaws.
But the NCAA can just make a school not exist with the death penalty right? Tomorrow the students and faculty at Penn State could wake up to find the locks changed on all of the buildings because the NCAA just decided to make the university not exist anymore.

Sanjuro

GoldenEye 007 said:
I think you are correct to an extent. NCAA is a branded product that makes billions of dollars each year.

Let's use Florida for an example as it could possibly be realistic. Say it was legal to have sex with alligators. The entire team and coaching staff started to fuck them...I mean get real nasty, cumming all over gators. Sponsors decide to cut all of their adverts and fans boycott the team, but nobody in Florida wants to stop fucking those gators. Will NCAA allow the gator fucking to continue!?

Cyan

Banned
mre said:
But the NCAA can just make a school not exist with the death penalty right? Tomorrow the students and faculty at Penn State could wake up to find the locks changed on all of the buildings because the NCAA just decided to make the university not exist anymore.
In fact, they can erase a school from history. Like what happened to the first University of Alabama.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I think you are correct to an extent. NCAA is a branded product that makes billions of dollars each year.

Let's use Florida for an example as it could possibly be realistic. Say it was legal to have sex with alligators. The entire team and coaching staff started to fuck them...I mean get real nasty, cumming all over gators. Sponsors decide to cut all of their adverts and fans boycott the team, but nobody in Florida wants to stop fucking those gators. Will NCAA allow the gator fucking to continue!?
Is it an NCAA bylaw violation? No? Then they can't touch it. Or, they could try... then they would get sued to oblivion and probably wouldn't survive it....wait.

Yes, yes NCAA. Death penalty now!!!

The best chance for the NCAA getting involved is if there is a general provision in the bylaws stating that an institution is obligated to follow the law, etc. etc. Which again, I doubt because that reaches beyond the scope of the supposed purpose of the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom