• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spectral Glider said:
Gotta say that was so surreal to watch. To turn into a football chant? He either doesn't care or completely has no clue how serious the situation is. Forget about the football and the school pride, Joe, this is a billion times more important. But then again, this kind of reaction pretty much explains what happened in 2002. Report it once, go back to football and then ignore the whole thing.

All the kids there are just as fucked up as he is. Cheering on about beating Nebrasksa. WTF? Shows you how insane sports can turn people in some of these college towns. It's like a religion to a lot of them.

Hari Seldon

TheFightingFish said:
The insane power that college football coaches and programs wield on university campuses is at the very heart of this issue. Do you think that ADs and VPs would shovel things under the table like this if it was a university professor that was abusing children? Things like this happen specifically to protect a deified coach and a cash cow of a football program. As such I feel that it would be totally right for the NCAA to hit Penn State where it counts and really come down on the football program. It is harsh on the current players, I agree, but it seems the best way that in the future a school sure as heck better think twice before they considering covering up crimes to protect a sports program.

People keep saying this, but in my opinion it is simply and old fashion good 'ol boys network. Joe Paterno wouldn't have taken any flack had Sandusky gone down in 2002. I get the feeling that Sandusky has some dirt on Spanier or Curley and that is why nothing happened at that time.

JimtotheHum said:
What I got out of it is that there might be a fraternity of older perverts that Sandusky supplied boys to and that they were using this charity organization for a front.
If this is true...

Oh god. I really don't want it to be true.

Zep

Banned
quaere said:
Because the best way to take swift and decisive action is to form a committee.

Seems like they're slowing this down...Which is nothing new. You'll have your fallout in 2 weeks time as they're only going to go over whats been written in the court documents.

Also gives them time to put together severance packages...Cause there will be a few on those going out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hari Seldon said:
People keep saying this, but in my opinion it is simply and old fashion good 'ol boys network. Joe Paterno wouldn't have taken any flack had Sandusky gone down in 2002. I get the feeling that Sandusky has some dirt on Spanier or Curley and that is why nothing happened at that time.

Holy shit. If the child prostitution thing is real, then what if the dirt is other faculty/staff were members?

Ninja Scooter said:
All the kids there are just as fucked up as he is. Cheering on about beating Nebrasksa. WTF? Shows you how insane sports can turn people in some of these college towns. It's like a religion to a lot of them.

True. No doubt they think Joe is some kind of prophet or something, or they learn to treat him that way because they've listened to the tons of media and school propaganda that has built him up to this larger than life figure. Plus I'm sure there's a lot of college kids who will use it as an excuse to get out of the dorms and act stupid.

Xeke said:
I don't get why people are calling for the death of the Penn State football program over this. Yeah sure fire some of the people who helped cover it up but it is not the fault of the players or the current coaches.

It's just like a corporation going down due to corporate malfeasance. Everyone loses their job, not just the people who did wrong.

This situation is a little better, because, at worst - the players can have transfers to other programs no problem, or, they could y'know, get a degree from Penn State.

Man, youth org as front for kid-buggery ring? What a moment we're in that this seems genuinely plausible. At the very least, Second Mile needs to be turned upside-down.

Revenant

bucknuticus said:
How about new ncaa punishment is you have to fuck whatever your mascot is.

psu-mascot-usp.jpg

that'd be rough to wake up next to.

quaere

The coaching staff should be thrown out now and there's not enough time to assemble a new one. But the team has earned a shot at the Big 10 championship and deserve to play it out.

I say make it all about the players and ask team alumni to come and coach out the season. Kerry Collins is on IR and PSU could really use someone that knows how to play quarterback, unlike Jay Paterno...

entremet

GoldenEye 007 said:
Just a question. I'm not trying to downplay the severity of this situation. I just don't remember seeing precedent on how the NCAA would handle something like this.

I could care less about Paterno or the PSU football team.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
entrement said:
Just a question. I'm not trying to downplay the severity of this situation. I just don't remember seeing precedent on how the NCAA would handle something like this.

The NCAA isn't going to do shit.

jackdoe

mre said:
The NCAA isn't going to do shit.
Definitely true. I mean they'd be overstepping their powers if they throw any bans.

Also, the whole thing is a clusterfuck of negligence. How the hell someone can not stop some old dude raping a kid boggles my mind. What, you see the guy doing it and run away to talk to your dad instead of punching the asshole in the face?

entrement said:

NCAA can't do anything. This would not be covered under their bylaws. They can't punish a school for things not in their bylaws as Penn St technically would not have violated any of them.

And as far as the football team.... why not care about them? They didn't do anything wrong. Now they're associated with a laughing stock of a school in the worse way.

mre

jackdoe said:
Definitely true. I mean they'd be overstepping their powers if they throw any bans.

Also, the whole thing is a clusterfuck of negligence. How the hell someone can not stop some old dude raping a kid boggles my mind. What, you see the guy doing it and run away to talk to your dad instead of punching the asshole in the face?
Yep. My wife and I had this discussion tonight. It's not like Sandusky was in the shower with a woman or even someone who looked like a man... there is literally no way you can justify to yourself that it was okay for a 50 year old man to have sex with a 10 year old unless you're Sennorin.

mre said:
Yep. My wife and I had this discussion tonight. It's not like Sandusky was in the shower with a woman or even someone who looked like a man... there is literally no way you can justify to yourself that it was okay for a 50 year old man to have sex with a 10 year old unless you're Sennorin.

Apparently, according to the report, he heard the:
l_eaa0cc6a373846bb8a165832684a64c3.gif

and then went to the shower to investigate and caught them in the middle of it. How the fuck do you do nothing? I'm not even a confrontational person, and I can't imagine just walking away from that.

mre

I agree. I couldn't walk away, I would have to step in and stop it. I'm a father and I would hope that someone would do the same if they saw my kid being abused.

Ninja Scooter said:
Apparently, according to the report, he heard the:
l_eaa0cc6a373846bb8a165832684a64c3.gif

and then went to the shower to investigate and caught them in the middle of it. How the fuck do you do nothing? I'm not even a confrontational person, and I can't imagine just walking away from that.

i don't know we can all speculate on what we would do in what-if scenarios but if i saw that i would have to believe i would do more than say "hmmm.... better go talk to coach.... brb guyz". i'm not saying i would murder the child molester on the spot but god damn

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't know we can all speculate on what we would do in what-if scenarios but if i saw that i would have to believe i would do more than say "hmmm.... better go talk to coach.... brb guyz". i'm not saying i would murder the child molester on the spot but god damn

I agree with this but even if you were so repulsed you took flight and ran, how could you not possibly call the cops with what you saw? Out of all the things that are so disgusting and completely mind boggling from that grand jury report and this saga in general (and there are plenty) it was how a man could see that and literally do absolutely nothing about it.

darkside31337 said:
I agree with this but even if you were so repulsed you took flight and ran, how could you not possibly call the cops with what you saw? Out of all the things that are so disgusting and completely mind boggling from that grand jury report and this saga in general (and there are plenty) it was how a man could see that and literally do absolutely nothing about it.

according to that article up there, two officers confirmed that the guy admitted to showering with the young boy and brought it to the district attorney who decided not to press charges. he went missing in 2005.

what the fuck. this story keeps delving deeper and deeper

darkside31337 said:

Well, he did call his father!

Seriously though, Sandusky was a 60 year old naked guy and he was 28. I sure hope to hell it wouldn't take much to get him away from the kid and get the kid out of there.

It makes me think of the Pulp Fiction scene with Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames. As a man, as a friggen human being, there's certain things you just can't turn your back on.

The Pittsburgh guy on radio (still listening, amazing) told us to read the grand jury presentment. I got two pages in and I said, "I'm not reading 23 pages of this stuff." This is the most fucked up thing I've seen in sports in a long long long time.

Can you guys think of a bigger 'news' story in sports in your lifetime?

tokkun said:
What is good PR in this case? If they take away some scholarships, it will just look petty. I don't see what they can do short of completely shutting down the program that would measure up to the severity of the crimes.
For Penn State ... Nothing is good PR. For the NCAA I'm not so sure. I just think an inability to punish a school for covering up rape looks bad. Especially when you consider the cover up was to protect it's football team and athletic program. I do agree that any action taken will pale in comparison to the crime, but I think that's where the law should step in anyway.

Fenderputty said:
For Penn State ... Nothing is good PR. For the NCAA I'm not so sure. I just think an inability to punish a school for covering up rape looks bad. Especially when you consider the cover up was to protect it's football team and athletic program. I do agree that any action taken will pale in comparison to the crime, but I think that's where the law should step in anyway.

but this goes beyond penn state. the crime was reported to the police. the district attorney was notified of a confession and no charges were filed.

vas_a_morir said:
The Pittsburgh guy on radio (still listening, amazing) told us to read the grand jury presentment. I got two pages in and I said, "I'm not reading 23 pages of this stuff." This is the most fucked up thing I've seen in sports in a long long long time.

I got to victim 4 and just couldn't read more. The unbelievable thing to me is, as early as victim 4, the varying areas this bastard was doing this stuff. Not just in and around Penn State but at area golf courses and even freaking high schools. It's just mind warping.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
vas_a_morir said:

Only thing bigger that I can think of is OJ. And that's not really close to being sports related, beyond "used to play."

I did hear on the radio, that there's been at least one alumni/graduate, who has returned to Penn State, and burned his diploma on the steps of one of the buildings.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but this goes beyond penn state. the crime was reported to the police. the district attorney was notified of a confession and no charges were filed.

That's the part that damns Paterno in my eyes. He can claim that he only knew about the 2002 incident, but I don't believe how he could not know about 1998. Especially with Sandusky's surprise retirement in 99. And after 2002 he can still see Sandusky hanging around campus and at functions with kids. There are no excuses for Paterno to have buried his head in the sand.

Lonestar said:
I did hear on the radio, that there's been at least one alumni/graduate, who has returned to Penn State, and burned his diploma on the steps of one of the buildings.

I think that's way too extreme. What happened was terrible, but my goodness it wasn't like the majority of the School was in on it. This was the acts of a small handful of men.

i read through some of the grand jury report and it is disgusting. on one hand i will always say innocent until proven guilty. on the other hand where there's smoke there's fire and it appears clear this happened.

i just don't get how shit like this does happen though. i understand there are sick pedophiles in the world but take the first victim. it says that he knew what sandusky was doing to him was wrong, and then he told his mom that if sandusky called that she should tell him that he's not home.

if i'm a father and an older man is calling my son repeatedly or my son is saying "dad, if this guy calls tell him im not home" then i start to ask questions and say what the fuck is going on to both of them.

then he does some of this shit in public places, in school gyms.... i don't even understand how this shit happens. its like when you watch a movie and you say "wtf that would never happen! ridiculous!" but here it is

Lonestar

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i read through some of the grand jury report and it is disgusting. on one hand i will always say innocent until proven guilty. on the other hand where there's smoke there's fire and it appears clear this happened.

There's TOO many people that testified in the investigation, with identical facts laced through each victim (Bearhugs....it's going to be awhile before that imagery goes away...).

Add on that the general public knew NOTHING of this until Saturday. So there's no "False Victims" cashing in on any "15 minutes of fame."

That's a wierd point to me. We the public just hear about this now? The Grand Jury and investigation seems to have taken 2-3 years! Plus, there apparently was an investigation back in the 90's (that went nowhere...). How did NONE of this ever, EVER, hit the news???

Dram

What I find weird about this, is that it came out after Paterno got his 400th win. I hope that is just a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Lonestar

Dram said:
What I find weird about this, is that it came out after Paterno got his 400th win. I hope that is just a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

While strange, it's Too tinfoiley. It would mean the police/DA/Investigators/Judicial System had to knowingly delay the release of this info, just to coincide with a milestone win.

This isn't something that was kept under wraps (the Grand Jury's findings) for months/years and released at a certain point.

I really think that ESPN should take a stand on the matter and refuse to air the football game.

They fired Hank Williams Jr for faulty analogies. They should do the right thing and refuse to put Paterno on the air.

East Lake

I don't understand how they are even thinking of playing this next game. It might just have an odd atmosphere and I know you don't want to punish everyone else for the scum in the administration, but what happens when you get these idiots out roaming the streets roaring and chanting for Paterno in the stands? This is on national television. It's certainly not unlikely that even more damning evidence comes out for Paterno's failure. What then, you have your students on camera forever cheering for this guy? It's not like people watching will be thinking about anything other than Sandusky and the coverup.

outunderthestars said:
I really think that ESPN should take a stand on the matter and refuse to air the football game.

They fired Hank Williams Jr for faulty analogies. They should do the right thing and refuse to put Paterno on the air.

Craig James is still employed by ESPN, your argument is invalid

:p

perfectchaos007 said:
Craig James is still employed by ESPN, your argument is invalid

:p
See also: Mike Tirico

Really surprised ESPN actually did anything about Williams Jr. as they usually dont give a fuck about credibility (also see: airing The Decision).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom