• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

tycoonheart said:
AP saying Joe Pa has decided to retire at the end of the season.

I don't see how he will last that long.
Was just about to post this. What a fraud.

Let's say a prayer for those victims, or whatever you want to call them...then let me coach for the rest of the year!

tycoonheart said:
AP saying Joe Pa has decided to retire at the end of the season.

I don't see how he will last that long.

Yeah the radio was saying the school wants him out now but he wants to hang on to the end of the season, they said his son was really pushing for him to get to stay. That would a horrible thing for the university to let happen. He needs to go before this weeks game. It is going to be really ugly during the broadcast if he is allowed to coach.

Bowser

yankeehater said:
Yeah the radio was saying the school wants him out now but he wants to hang on to the end of the season, they said his son was really pushing for him to get to stay. That would a horrible thing for the university to let happen. He needs to go before this weeks game. It is going to be really ugly during the broadcast if he is allowed to coach.

Honestly, the school should just have the balls and fire him now. How can you let him coach out the season? That's just dumb.

yankeehater said:

Joe Pa shouldn't be left alone in making these types of decisions. Dude has been borderline senile for the last few years so of course he wouldn't do the right thing. I'd think his family would be imploring him to step down, but his son kind of seems like an enabler.

Pastry

Banned
yankeehater said:
Why the fuck is he so oblivious to what he has done or failed to do. This is fucking disgusting and if he does not go soon the entire board at PSU needs to go also. No coach should ever have this much power at a school.

Barrett2

CartridgeBlower said:
Dude is 84 years old, had this job for 46 years. Even after this, he still doesn't know when to walk away. Unreal.

Yeah, its awkward seeing entrenched people like that hang on too long until something ugly happens to force him out. His legacy will be heavily tarnished by this, how could it not. In the end, I bet he will regret having not retired last year, instead of under this cloud.

Sanjuro

They should take away his wins. Simple as that. Shouldn't have the all time wins record any longer. He should be fired today.

He should be a broken shell of a man....and then he should get the Oakland Raiders head coaching job.

I still can't see how he makes it to Saturday.

If he does, the backlash will hopefully slap some sense into the PSU administration and have them take swifter action than this time-stalling "investigation committee".

quaere

Looks to be a preemptive move to prevent being forced out immediately.
sganim Sara Ganim
# sandusky a source close to Joe Paterno says it was his decision to retire, and he's still had no contact with board of trustees
1 minute ago

Schmitty said:
Never been more appropiate:

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain "

That's why you walk away early and gracefully like Tom Osborne, not hang on until you're 84, so much so that they stick you in a box above the field.

Pastry said:
Absolutely fucking disgusting. If the board does nothing they need to be sacked immediately for being absolutely spineless.

My god. I only imagine that this will get worse and worse each week he is still the coach. People are going to keep coming out, and once people start to et a picture of how many rapes could have been prevented by Joe Pa making one phone call in 2002, I think things are going to become unbearable for him. How will they keep the national media out of his press conferences? Those things are going to be crazy after each game.

quaere

And it is done.
STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ate-nittany-lions---nov-9-2011-133531778.html

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
yankeehater said:
My god. I only imagine that this will get worse and worse each week he is still the coach. People are going to keep coming out, and once people start to et a picture of how many rapes could have been prevented by Joe Pa making one phone call in 2002, I think things are going to become unbearable for him. How will they keep the national media out of his press conferences? Those things are going to be crazy after each game.

Because they would issue press passes to sports journalists, and they would be professional enough to keep the focus on sports for the most part.

Not to say he won't get questions, but they can limit access.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
andycapps said:

Yeah..Tom Osborne. Nothing ever went bad at Nebraska under his watch.. He's above reproach.

lawrence-phillips-guilty.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0809245809/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bowser

STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Holy fuck at the arrogance of this prick.

Pastry

Banned
At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status.

I laughed when I saw this, this is just insane.

They HAVE to fire him, he is making a laughing stock of PSU.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Because they would issue press passes to sports journalists, and they would be professional enough to keep the focus on sports for the most part.

Not to say he won't get questions, but they can limit access.

There was over 100 reporters at the Tuesday pc that got canceled. The number is just going to grow as this story gets worse and worse. I dont see how they can just bar them all.

ChiTownBuffalo

yankeehater said:
There was over 100 reporters at the Tuesday pc that got canceled. The number is just going to grow as this story gets worse and worse. I dont see how they can just bar them all.

That was a conference call though. They may stop doing those and just allow in person events post game. That way, you can limit access.

andycapps

What a non-gracious way for Joe Pa to go out. Tell the Board of Regents to leave him alone. Can't help but picture old man in UP on this.

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Now let's beat Nebraska! Then our football staff can worry about what part we can do to repair this damage.

Bowser

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
How is that arrogant?

"should not spend a single minute discussing my status?" Uh, yes, they should be spending way more than that. He basically said, "leave me alone, I'm gonna be here for a little longer."

SolidSnakex said:
Holy shit! Basically a "I run this show, now back off" comment.

It is pretty nuts that he would make this statement right after the university says they are going to investigate the matter.

Salaadin

Pedo State? Really?

I can totally understand you being upset about this whole thing but knock off that BS. Its offensive to all the good people that went to or currently go to that school (some of which are your own fellow gaffers) that have no direct involvement in this other than the fact that they want to learn at Penn State.

Paterno needs to be off that campus now. He's obviously too far gone to really comprehend what's happening any more.

Salaadin said:
Pedo State? Really?

I can totally understand you being upset about this whole thing but knock off that BS. Its offensive to all the good people that went to or currently go to that school (some of which are your own fellow gaffers) that have no direct involvement in this other than the fact that they want to learn at Penn State.
Unfortunately, that's probably going to stick. Penn State, or a large part of the public face of Penn State, lived in a bubble of culture that allowed people to ignore a ridiculously brazen pedophile.

That is something to be embarrassed by, and I hate that any student, alum, of facility not involved will have to suffer it.

Pastry

Banned
zmoney said:
If I were on the Board I would be pushing for him to be gone by the end of the day.
I really hope that statement by him forces their hand, he is making them look like a joke.

Sanjuro

Salaadin said:
Pedo State? Really?

If I was a "good" person who currently or previously went to Penn state, I would be more offended at the thousands of students promoting child molestation.

Pollux

Pastry said:
I really hope that statement by him forces their hand, he is making them look like a joke.
Exactly. Before that statement the Board's attitude should have been "We're going to fire you but we'll actually do an investigation first."

Now it should be, "Well fuck you too, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."

Pollux

Salaadin said:
Pedo State? Really?

Pedo State isn't referring to every student. It's referring to the administration and people that make up the school looking the other way as young boys were raped in the god damn showers

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
If I was a "good" person who currently or previously went to Penn state, I would be more offended at the thousands of students promoting child molestation.
Maybe I missed something, but WTF?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lawblob said:
Yeah, its awkward seeing entrenched people like that hang on too long until something ugly happens to force him out. His legacy will be heavily tarnished by this, how could it not. In the end, I bet he will regret having not retired last year, instead of under this cloud.

Well, it was going to be tarnished anyway, whether or not he was still coaching.

irriadin

Salaadin said:
Pedo State? Really?

As a Penn State alum, it really irritates me seeing people implicate the entire school as being complicit with this horrendous scandal. And that one poster who suggested "shooting up the school"? WTF is wrong with you?

harSon

Banned
Has there been more developments within the case? Because the level of rhetoric being leveled here would lead me to believe that more information has been leaked, and Paterno himself was fondling children.

yankeehater said:
It is pretty nuts that he would make this statement right after the university says they are going to investigate the matter.

It really is an amazing comment. After reading that I fully understand why PSU canceled that presser. It would've been a nightmare if he had to answer questions on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom