• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Mrbob said:
He goes to the police. For all intents he *is* the higher up at Penn State. Just look at his comment toward the Board of Trustees.

Not to mention when those same "higher ups" he went to came to his house a few years back to ask him to resign and he basically told them to GTFO. He definitely wields more power/influence than Curley and Schultz. Did he fulfill his legal obligation? Yes. But morally, he didn't do enough, and sadly, for that, he needs to go.

Maxim726X said:
Nope, it means nothing. He knew what the RIGHT thing to do was and he didn't do it. He was being a coward.

He needed to be brought to the police. Nothing short of that is acceptable.

As I stated earlier Paterno reported it to the two people whose job it was to stop it. Instead Curley and Schultz chose to covered it up. Hell Schultz is in charge of Campus Police and they were legally required to involve the cops. All this means it is not Joe's fault.

Hari Seldon

lawblob said:
What if an official transcript of Paterno's meeting with the AD surfaced, and was somehow proven that the TA told Paterno he witnessed sodomy, and Paterno intentionally downplayed it to "horsing around" in his meeting with the AD. He could be prosecuted.

The meetings went like this:

1. McQueary sees incident
2. McQueary talks to dad
-- next day --
3. McQueary meets with Joe Paterno and asks what to do.
4. Paterno doesn't know, calls Curly, gives him a summary
5. Curly and Shultz meat with McQueary directly, without Paterno
-> Investigation stonewalled <-

Basically Paterno was just the guy McQueary asked what to do, and Paterno didn't know so he asked Curly, the AD. That is all Paterno had to do with anything. Curly and Shutlz (the head of HR and campus police), met directly with McQueary and got the story directly from him.

harSon said:
It's easy to condemn him for his lack of actions with hindsight in hand, but as far as we know, he could have been told that an investigation had taken place and the information proved false.

OK, so then he promoted the guy who fabricated an accusation about his friend of 30 years being a child rapist to WR coach.

Look, no matter what angle you try to come at this from, you hit a wall where the only exit is a very, very uncomfortable conclusion.

Edit: And again, you're conflating this with the usual quid pro quo shenanigans. It's something else entirely. It's not, "Hey, I guess nothing ever came of those improper gifts charges" its' "hey, I guess nothing ever came of those CHILD RAPE charges."

gutshot

Fenderputty said:
You yourself unserstand it wasn't enough and yet you have an issue with people wanting his head? Some people are a little extreme here, but JoePa deserves a lot of the heat he's getting.

He deserves some criticism for not doing more, yes. But I think people are focusing much of their anger and indignation on the wrong person. Paterno at least did something and yet many people here are insisting he was involved in the alleged cover-up.

Maxim726X

Hari Seldon said:
The meetings went like this:

1. McQueary sees incident
2. McQueary talks to dad
-- next day --
3. McQueary meets with Joe Paterno and asks what to do.
4. Paterno doesn't know, calls Curly, gives him a summary
5. Curly and Shultz meat with McQueary directly, without Paterno
-> Investigation stonewalled <-

Basically Paterno was just the guy McQueary asked what to do, and Paterno didn't know so he asked Curly, the AD. That is all Paterno had to do with anything. Curly and Shutlz (the head of HR and campus police), met directly with McQueary and got the story directly from him.

So he 'didn't know' that a child molester should be turned into the police? Bullshit... Sorry.

drspeedy

Salaadin said:
Pedo State? Really?

I can totally understand you being upset about this whole thing but knock off that BS. Its offensive to all the good people that went to or currently go to that school (some of which are your own fellow gaffers) that have no direct involvement in this other than the fact that they want to learn at Penn State.

You're late, man. It's out there and... the name was too easy, really. The internetz are harsh.

LehNc.jpg

No one here is saying this is the university's fault, but be logical. The school was able to flourish for years due in no small part to the good fortune of it's football program. Since PSU's overall reputation was bolstered with football, it only makes sense that they have to accept a negative impact to that reputation based on football.

You take the good, you take the bad.

(you take them both and there you have the facts of life, I believe)

Sanjuro

gutshot said:
Maybe not irrational, but at best, you are using extreme hyperbole to make a point. I'm quite certain that if you asked the students at that rally if they support child molestation every single one of them would say absolutely not.
...and then they would all go home?

I'm not sure you are thinking rationally here.

samus i am said:
As I stated earlier Paterno reported it to the two people whose job it was to stop it. Instead Curley and Schultz chose to covered it up. Hell Schultz is in charge of Campus Police and they were legally required to involve the cops. All this means it is not Joe's fault.
This is easily one of those things where it is... ok I reported it to two administrators, but nothing has happened yet.... hm, maybe I should ask and find out what's going on. Oh, nothing? Screw this, I'm going straight to the police.

We're talking about child rape here... Not just some normal administrative.... transgression.

Pastry

Banned
samus i am said:
It is the job of the police to stop it, JoePa should have gone directly to them. If he cared at all about stopping the situation immediately that is what he should have done. Instead he brought it to the attention of the administration so that some of the damage could be controlled.

Maxim726X

gutshot said:
He deserves some criticism for not doing more, yes. But I think people are focusing much of their anger and indignation on the wrong person. Paterno at least did something and yet many people here are insisting he was involved in the alleged cover-up.

It's being brought up because there's a rally with thousands of people defending him. It's sickening.

harSon said:
If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the child molester. Or the dude who caught him in the act and did nothing to protect that child, and little to protect future children. Or the men who covered it up. Not the one guy who actually did something, but with hindsight in hand, didn't do enough.

Why not be mad at everyone? Including Paterno?

JGS

Banned
Mrbob said:
He goes to the police. For all intents he *is* the higher up at Penn State. Just look at his comment toward the Board of Trustees.
You do not go to the police immediately to have an employee arrested ever.

That's a quick way to a lawsuit and losing your job. Why didn't the guy who told Paterno go to the police if that was the proper course of action?

Paterno (& McCreary) clearly read his HR manual on this one.

Meier

JGS said:
Can't see where Paterno did anything wrong, but since public opinion thinks otherwise, guess it makes sense for him to retire.

A person doesn't go to higher ups immediately if the goal is to protect his guy imo.
Tell me the truth. Could you still fraternize with someone who was caught buttfucking a child in your house for at least a decade afterwards?

gutshot

Maxim726X said:
By just sweeping this under the rug (which is what he was a part of) basically ensured that he would continue sexually abusing children. There is NO excuse- By not turning him in to the authorities, he protected him.

I honestly don't see how this could be viewed any other way. He is the most powerful person on that campus and he was afraid of the fallout that would have followed this scandal, so he just quietly removed him from the position, knowing that he had molested multiple children.

Actually kinda scared that people see this any other way, frankly.

I think you have your facts mixed up. In 2002, when Joe Paterno learned of the incident in the showers, Sandusky was no longer working in the football program. He had retired 3 years earlier.

There was a separate incident and investigation in 1998 that was conducted by the police and Child Protection services. I believe Paterno testified to the grand jury that he was not aware of that investigation.

dexterslu

harSon said:
If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the child molester. Or the dude who caught him in the act and did nothing to protect that child, and little to protect future children. Or the men who covered it up. Not the one guy who actually did something, but with hindsight in hand, didn't do enough.

I'm sorry what exactly did Joe Paterno do?

People who sexually assault children are scrum, they are the most vial inhuman people on the planet. Joe Paterno knew this man had been accused of sexually assaulting a child on his campus. Not only did he not report this to the police, the man continued to allow him to be involved with his program.

Joe Paterno didn't have to be associated with this man, he chose to be.

KHarvey16

Some of you are ridiculous. The guy was in charge, this was his coach and his friend. He didn't follow up on the story? Oh here comes Jerry with another kid again, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

The existence of failures at multiple levels DOES NOT absolve anyone of moral responsibility.

harSon

Banned
Pastry said:
It is the job of the police to stop it, JoePa should have gone directly to them. If he cared at all about stopping the situation immediately that is what he should have done. Instead he brought it to the attention of the administration so that some of the damage could be controlled.

Or maybe he wanted the situation handled delicately and correctly (obviously they weren't) considering child molestation is a pretty explosive charge to levee against someone.

drspeedy

Pastry said:

This is really it in a nutshell. Think of this like a business: his responsibility is to act as CEO of the football program. His decisions should always be in the best interest of the team's shareholders, which in this case is the whole university and all of it's alumni. It doesn't seem like addressing a big issue, one that could almost certainly have far-reaching and long lasting impacts, by having a conversation with 2 administrators and moving on was a CEO-like thing to do. THAT's what JoePa is guilty of, he acted negligently on behalf of his company, the PSU football program.

Maxim726X

samus i am said:
What does it matter if he didn't know? He still reported it all the same.

That's so weak, I'm sorry. He knew that this issue would just be swept under the rug. And when it was, he was perfectly fine with just letting it go? Knowing that he would continue the abuse?

Pastry

Banned
JGS said:

That's a quick way to a lawsuit and losing your job. Why didn't the guy who told Paterno go to the police if that was the proper course of action?

lol really? JoePa obviously tells the board to fuck off whenever he wants, he wouldn't have gotten into any trouble.

dojokun

Banned
Morally, I still say that since Joe Pa was not an eyewitness, thus he has no moral obligation to say anything to anyone. The grad assistant saw it and that is the person who morally should have gone to the police. Just because the grad assistant went to Joe Pa, thus giving Joe Pa secondhand knowledge based on the word of mouth of the grad assistant, doesn't mean Joe Pa is morally obligated to report it to anyone. If I saw a crime, the ran into a restaurant and shouted it out to everyone in the restaurant, are all the restaurant patrons then morally obligated to file police reports? I think not. All they have is secondhand knowledge based on my word of mouth.

And legally, I don't know what the law in PA is, but it's hard for me to imagine that the law would make any kind of exception for grad assistants at Penn State. If you see a crime, you go to the police, not your employer.

Maxim726X said:
That's so weak, I'm sorry. He knew that this issue would just be swept under the rug. And when it was, he was perfectly fine with just letting it go? Knowing that he would continue the abuse?

Wow, you're a mind reader now?

KHarvey16

JGS said:

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

harSon

Banned
dexterslu said:

People who sexually assault children are scrum, they are the most vial inhuman people on the planet. Joe Paterno knew this man had been accused of sexually assaulting a child on his campus. Not only did he not report this to the police, the man continued to allow him to be involved with his program.

He reported it to the higher ups within the University and nothing came of it. I'm sure it's the same for JoePa, but I personally don't go around thinking the people around me would be capable of protecting and covering up for a child molester. If nothing came out of the information that he gave them, then I'm sure that he thought there was no merit to the information he was given.

dojokun said:
Morally, I still say that since Joe Pa was not an eyewitness, thus he has no moral obligation to say anything to anyone. The grad assistant saw it and that is the person who morally should have gone to the police. Just because the grad assistant went to Joe Pa, thus giving Joe Pa secondhand knowledge based on the word of mouth of the grad assistant, doesn't mean Joe Pa is morally obligated to report it to anyone. If I saw a crime, the ran into a restaurant and shouted it out to everyone in the restaurant, are all the restaurant patrons then morally obligated to file police reports? I think not. All they have is secondhand knowledge based on my word of mouth.

And legally, I don't know what the law in PA is, but it's hard for me to imagine that the law would make any kind of exception for grad assistants at Penn State. If you see a crime, you go to the police, not your employer.

Sorry man, McQueary isn't as popular as Joe Paterno so he gets let off the hook.

Vire

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Ignore him, the guy is clearly oblivious.

It's pretty clear that everyone involved at the university put the football program above innocent children's lives. Absolutely disgusting.

If I was in charge, all of them would have been gone YESTERDAY.

dojokun

Banned
dexterslu said:

From what I read, the Sandusky was no longer working with the football program when the grad assistant saw him in the shower.... Joe Pa did not know about the child abuse until years after Sandusky left the program.

Hari Seldon

Maxim726X said:
So he 'didn't know' that a child molester should be turned into the police? Bullshit... Sorry.

If Curly and Shultz didn't stonewall the investigation, no one would even be talking about Joe Paterno passing the buck up the food chain. Because it would have only delayed the investigation all of 5 minutes.

Alcibiades

Mest30 said:
Ok, let's assume JoePa was not trying to cover anything up and he acted in good faith when reporting the incident to his superiors. That does not negate the fact that JoePa knee that the 'investigation' amounted to nothing and he took no other course of action after realizing nothing happened.
I'm not gonna assume anything (although I have yet to see any evidence of Paterno intentionally covering up for Sandunsky), but yeah I agree Paterno should have gone to the police - as should have a lot of other people. I fault him for not going - but I still believe most of the anger should be directed at other people - witnesses that didn't say anything, family members that didn't report suspicious activity, etc...

Look, this isn't your typical college sports booster scandal. Kids were raped and scarred for life. Id bet my dick that if the victim was one of JoePa's kids he would have taken a much different approach, and whatever approach that would have been should have been the same thing he should have done in this case. I can only assume that most of the people defending JoePa don't have kids of there own. Having kids changed your outlook on everything. Your life revolves around them now, not you. I would fucking kill somebody if they raped my son, Damn the consequences. It's hard just typing that. To think that this mother fucked didnt do all he could to protect the innocence of a child is disgusting.
If all of a sudden the basis for judgment of someone is whether they did all they could "to protect the innocence of a child" then pretty much all of humanity is guilty... who actually spends every waking hour and moment attempting to right every wrong (when children are involved) they have reason to believe is happening... hey what about the innocence of children in sweatshops providing all our clothes, the innocence of children in Mexico that fall victim because of the drugs we buy, etc... Paterno should have done more - I agee - including possibly confronting Sandusky himself, finding out who the kid was, going to the mother, then going to the police... I find it hard to believe though that everyone throwing rocks now would hold themselves to the same standard they are holding Paterno to...

Yeah the situation is disgusting - and i find many aspects of humanity (like not being vigilante about protecting children and innocents) disgusting - but damn if Paterno is the first person ever to not go out of his way 24-7 to protect the innocence of children. He could have done more, he could have done less - heck he could have actually done what many people are accusing him of - trying to cover up.

it is sooooo easy to just sit there to rage out and throw rocks (not referring to you directly but just in general to everyone up in arms about this)... there is child prostitution out in the open in many third world countries - is everyone that is outraged that Paterno didn't do all he could to protect the innocence of children gonna pack bags to Asia and Africa and go out and do everything they can to go protect the innocence of a child somewhere?

Look - I agree this is absolutely horrible what happened - and yeah Joe Pa should've confront Sandusky and any number of people involved should have gone to the police or even the media to try to raise hay - but I wonder just how many people acting out fantasy scenarios in their minds of either beating up Sandunsky (if they were the graduate assistant) or getting personally involved in a quest of justice (if they were Paterno) would actually have acted consistent with what they said the graduate assistant and/or Paterno had done.

Personally, I'd have been pretty spooked and scared at catching Sandunsky in the act. Probably horrified and traumatized in my own way, I would like to think that the first thing I do is go to the nearest phone and/or grab the nearest person in the area so that Sandunsky and the kid don't actually leave the building or area and the police are made aware of what I saw a soon as possible. That is what I think the graduate assistant should have done, and if I were Paterno I would have gotten the police involved immediately and only gone to higher ups to inform them of that.

BUT - I wasn't there and I don't know for sure that is what I would have done.

He just didn't give a fuck. That's what is disturbing. It's not that, 'oh, he did the minimum required by law, he's good'. It's that he didn't do enough to make sure justice was served and to protect kids in the future. How many kids were raped after the 2002 incident? Every one that was is a direct result of JoePa and many other peoples lack of doing shit.
I agree Joe Pa not doing to the police is aggravating, but Joe Pa isn't the police and it wasn't his job to go investigate and "make sure justice was served." In a sane world, the graduate assistant would have gone to the police and everyone else would have only been peripherally involved. Also, I highly doubt Paterno didn't care. I think he could have cared a whole lot more.

How would you sleep at night if you did the bare minimum and as a result, other kids were raped?
Hey i know as a society we are doing the bare minumim and not only are kids being raped, but kids are starving, forced into warfare, and a lot of other horrible things all over... and looking at the 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys statistics i'm sure here in the US people in general aren't vigilant about stopping child abuse. It sucks but I'm not gonna rage out on everyone else and demand heads rolls on people who reported what they heard and didn't, as far as we know, do anything to impede investigations or cover anything up. Everyone could always do more - there are real villains here - Sandunsky, the people that tried to cover things up, maybe the wife - my personal judgment is that Paterno is not a villain.

I imagine you would be scarred for life to. And if that's the case, how can you or anyone else defend this fuck?
As far as we know, Paterno didn't rape anyone, didn't see anyone rape anyone, and from what he says now feels that him and others were "fooled" as to who Sandunsky was. He reported what another witness said as soon as he heard about Sandusky in the shower. I wasn't there, I don't know what went through his mind, and I don't know what he thought did or didn't happen as a result. I do know there is plenty of blame to go around and it doesn't start with Paterno.

I'm not necessarily defending his minimal actions at this point, but I'm also not ready to blindly condemn him without knowing more.
Knowing that his lack of action directly resulted in the rape of a child? I'll say it once more because it should drainage with any decent human being. What would you think of JoePa if it was your 8 year old boy getting a dick stuck up his ass? Imagine your sons fear. His tears. His pain. Him crying for it to be over. Would you still think Joe did enough? Fucking disgusting.
If it was my kid I would be more emotionally involved - no doubt. That is how I often see parents behave here in the US - and it is also how I view the US and many societies to act as populations. Our kids are more important than other kids, and American kids are more important than other kids around the world - but it doesn't need to be my kid to know that Paterno (along with a host of other people) should have done more. But - Paterno is a long way down on the list of people that I would place blame on. It was my kid - I'd be much more pissed at the graduate assistant and Sandusky's wife for enabling this behavior.

And that awful rape experience of a child you describe - that happens every day in the US and around the world and there are ways people can get involved to directly impact the situation - but as is the case whenever a story like this pops up (whether it is the Boys Scouts, Catholic Church, or in this case the Second-Chance predator) - I suspect most people feeling super outraged about the fact that people let this happen aren't gonna do much afterwards.

Hey sorry for the rant-like post this is really emotional and like you said - disgusting, but I just can't work myself up over this when to be honest - I'm not surprised. If the Church and Boy Scouts have been farming grounds for child abuse - then so could a charity affiliated with a major educational institution. It sucks, I hate it, and I hwould like to think that if I was in any way close to what happened I would have acted sooner and with more haste than anyone (including Joe Pa) did, but I also hope that long term I work towards being less of an "enabler" for child suffering of any kind in the context of the world at large.

C Jones

samus i am said:
Sorry man, McQueary isn't as popular as Joe Paterno so he gets let off the hook.
Wait, it's wrong to hold JoePa to a higher standard? I thought he IS Penn State?

Can't have it both ways.

harSon said:
Once again, that's a position that can only be taken with hindsight in hand. 99% of the time, I'm willing to bet that telling higher ups within a University that you've received information that one of there employees is a pedophile would be more than enough action.

I'm not mad that he went to his superiors. I'm upset with his lack of follow through. Especially from a man who's supposed to have as much character as JoePA.

dojokun said:

None of these analogies fly, the circumstances regarding Paterno's relationship to everyone involved is very different and singular. It's not a stranger randomly blurting out some bizarre accusation to him out of nowhere. It's a trusted subordinate leveling deadly serious firsthand charges about another trusted subordinate and close friend. And the person hearing these accusations is, by all accounts, an all-powerful god-king in the community.

JGS

Banned
Meier said:
Tell me the truth. Could you still fraternize with someone who was caught buttfucking a child in your house for at least a decade afterwards?
Not at all, but that's a question to ask McCreary. unless I'm missing a detail (I had assumed all along that Paterno knew everything which is far from the case), Paterno didn't witness anything. His boss determined the outcome and apparently brushed it aside.

Paterno may very well have been in on the discussions (Why would he want to be though from a legal standpoint), but you can do very little on an accusation alone and with the rest of the group already determining nothing was going to be done.

Now I will say that from a workplace perspective, if I was aware of an employee who was accused of this, went to HR immediately, & HR dismissed the finding, I would indeed continue continue working and keep my kids away from the accused just to be on the safe side.
samus i am said:
No one is asking for it to be both ways. He reported it as he was supposed to.
That's my point. I think the guy did something out of the ordinary (Although it shouldn't be) just by handling his part immediately. His handling of it coud have stopped the abuse right there if others hadn't stunk up the process.

C Jones said:
Wait, it's wrong to hold JoePa to a higher standard? I thought he IS Penn State?

Can't have it both ways.

No one is asking for it to be both ways. He reported it as he was supposed to.

Hari Seldon said:
If Curly and Shultz didn't stonewall the investigation, no one would even be talking about Joe Paterno passing the buck up the food chain. Because it would have only delayed the investigation all of 5 minutes.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Alcibiades said:
If all of a sudden the basis for judgment of someone is whether they did all they could "to protect the innocence of a child" then pretty much all of humanity is guilty... who actually spends every waking hour and moment attempting to right every wrong (when children are involved) they have reason to believe is happening... hey what about the innocence of children in sweatshops providing all our clothes, the innocence of children in Mexico that fall victim because of the drugs we buy, etc... Paterno should have done more - I agee - including possibly confronting Sandusky himself, finding out who the kid was, going to the mother, then going to the police... I find it hard to believe though that everyone throwing rocks now would hold themselves to the same standard they are holding Paterno to...
They knew of a man who was found in the midst of intercourse with a pre-teenage boy in the men's shower. At no point was he stopped and the boy removed, but men who found out immediately afterward gave fuck all as to the welfare of the child or the belief that he could strike again. Comparing this to sweatshops and children in far off places is bullshit - this happened in front of one man's eyes and under the noses of everyone else's. No one wanted this brought to the cops.

Hari Seldon

dexterslu said:

This is where you are completely wrong. Sandusky was retired and not part of Joe Paterno's program in 2002. The UNIVERSITY allowed his charity to use athletic department facilities in the summer.

dexterslu

harSon said:
He reported it to the higher ups within the University and nothing came of it. I'm sure it's the same for JoePa, but I personally don't go around thinking the people around me would be capable of protecting and covering up for a child molester. If nothing came out of the information that he gave them, then I'm sure that he thought there was no merit to the information he was given.

The misconception here is that Joe Paterno is just another football coach, he's not. The man is Penn State. He is the most iconic figure in the schools history and is widely regarded as the most powerful person on campus (aside from the the president).

I would be shocked to find out that Paterno simply informed his administrators and left them to investigate his friend of thirty years. There's no way Paterno wasn't involved. The fact is Paterno had the choice of dissociating himself and the University with Sandusky. He chose not to.

drspeedy

dojokun said:

Nah, he's always been the very obvious leader of that organization, moral leader included. How many times over the years has Joe stuck to his hard line and benched kids for being out past curfew, caught drinking underage, getting into trouble? Even his stars have been sidelined over the years for breaking his rules, and he's stuck to his guns even when it hurt the team. It's a well established part of the program, folks know not to try and 'flex' JoePa's rules, the old man won't take it.

As head coach of a program this size and status, when something happens that threatens to completely eviscerate your team you owe it to everyone in your organization to get it resolved. Legally, get the facts, go to HR, see what happens with your counsel and the authorities. That's part of the job...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hari Seldon said:
This is where you are completely wrong. Sandusky was retired and not part of Joe Paterno's program in 2002. The UNIVERSITY allowed his charity to use athletic department facilities in the summer.
and Paterno doesn't hold enough sway to make sure that Sandusky wouldn't and shouldn't be on campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom