• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

mre said:
Finally, someone gets it. The NCAA has a long and storied history of enforcing not only its own holy mandates, but also the laws of the secular governments under which its institutions are forced to labor in order to put on a gladiatorial spectacle for the American lower class each Saturday during the fall months.

If the NCAA fails to execute Penn State, then it will be violating its own precedent, and we all know that the NCAA is nothing if not consistent in the application of its laws.
They're not going to do anything to the program. sad but true.

as someone said earlier, give the program the death penalty and let the players immediately transfer if they want to.

Ken Masters said:
your mentality is the exactly what the board of Penn State will use to avoid anything being brought down against them

sorry to break it to you, but again, in terms of importance, football<<<covering up raping of kids. NCAA has to punish them like SMU's death penalty, and SMU was just paying kids to play football for them, not raping kids in the shower
No. They can't do it. Do you understand jurisdiction? What NCAA bylaw would be violated here that they can punish Penn St? They would get sued to oblivion and lose. Easily.

Which is something I'm not opposed to considering my school's position right about now...

mre said:
Finally, someone gets it. The NCAA has a long and storied history of enforcing not only its own holy mandates, but also the laws of the secular governments under which its institutions are forced to labor in order to put on a gladiatorial spectacle for the American lower class each Saturday during the fall months.

If the NCAA fails to execute Penn State, then it will be violating its own precedent, and we all know that the NCAA is nothing if not consistent in the application of its laws.

You can't punish the kids..they had nothing to do with this mess.

The coach and the other dudes are all getting theirs.

No need to punish the Kids for this at all.

SerArthurDayne said:
I believe 8 children were in the indictment, as many as 17 or 18 total have come forward now. I am not sure how the process works with the informing parents. Some might have known and become involved in the grand jury investigation. I can't imagine they would just drop the bomb on others (even though names are not included, parents might be able to figure it out based on the facts).

This is further complicated by the timeframe, some of the victims are now adults, so releasing info to the parents may not be allowed without authorization from the adult victims.

edit: one parent knew immediately and brought a complaint in 98 to no avail. Presumptively most of the other parents were unaware for some time, as this is something you generally don't let slide, and also something victims have a hard time telling people about.
Every child that comes forward who was molested after JoePa and Co. allowed this guy to go on without police report should lay HARD on his conscience.

He and every individual who had an inkling as to this guy's M.O. and did nothing all bare some responsibility.

Kevtones

This is just nuts.

If someone asked me:

'1 of the 120 D-I coaches will be fired next Wednesday, who is it?' last week, my 120th answer would've been Joe Paterno.

beast786

Seems like Sandusky is a very powerful/influenced man. It seems he was more powerful than the law not just PSU.

kind of scary, and maybe why MC didn't report him directly to cops. Kind of remind me of God Father.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Knux-Future said:
You can't punish the kids..they had nothing to do with this mess.

The coach and the other dudes are all getting theirs.

No need to punish the Kids for this at all.

Their "punishment" is knowing what has happened in the showers they use...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ken Masters said:
your mentality is the exactly what the board of Penn State will use to avoid anything being brought down against them

sorry to break it to you, but again, in terms of importance, football<<<covering up raping of kids. NCAA has to punish them like SMU's death penalty, and SMU was just paying kids to play football for them, not raping kids in the shower

Actually, none of the guys playing football had jack and shit to do with any of this. The people being punished are the people to punish. Punishing all the players because of something from 2002 is fucking crazy.

The NCAA has no say on this.

beast786 said:
Seems like Sandusky is a very powerful/influenced man. It seems he was more powerful than the law not just PSU.

kind of scary, and maybe why MC didn't report him directly to cops. Kind of remind me of God Father.

He was responsible for creating "Linebacker U", so he was definitely a powerful figure in that community.

MIMIC

Banned
effzee said:
Fuck everyone involved.

Holy shit I just caught up on the allegations and things done.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Yeah, I just heard about the shower incident. All of this is vomit inducing. So much failure (literally and figuratively) all around. Absolutely unforgivable.

Godslay

Banned
Ken Masters said:
How is it unnecessary? it's the harsh reality, and in terms of unification it only unites the fans of a particular team and further divides everyone else

but this is extremely off topic

I know it's ot but it needs to be said that football is not some barbaric game reserved for the lower class of the U.S. It's sounds incredibly arrogant to assume that only lower class people watch the sport. If you actually believe this you can get off your high horse. That's my quibble with that. People of all backgrounds enjoy the game.

Even with that being said, it is a game. Sexual abuse is of more importance than football. I don't give a fuck if they nuke Penn State from college football forever. If it prevents 1 rape then it's worth it.

Lonestar

Seriously, 1st thing on the BoT's to do list (once a new BoT is formed after the old one is fired), is to tear out the shower room, and build a new one somewhere else.

HeySeuss

Dreams-Visions said:
Every child that comes forward who was molested after JoePa and Co. allowed this guy to go on without police report should lay HARD on his conscience.

He and every individual who had an inkling as to this guy's M.O. and did nothing all bare some responsibility.
What you did there...I see it.

One day all these little snotty-ass, spoiled bastards will wake up, absorb the scope of moral and ethical violations going on at their University...and realize how they look like horrid people tonight. How off their priorities were.

Doesn't Penn State have fairly high admissions standards? I expect more of College-caliber men and women.

Shick Brithouse said:
What you did there...I see it.
;)

MIMIC said:
ESPN is not-so-subtly suggesting that Penn State students are retarded
they're not doing themselves many favors.

How fucking stupid are these students? If JoePa had anything less then the fucking massive ego he has, he would have stepped down himself immediately instead of trying to dictate the terms of his departure to the board.

Schmitty

GitarooMan said:
How fucking stupid are these students? If JoePa had anything less then the fucking massive ego he has, he would have stepped down himself immediately instead of trying to dictate the terms of his departure to the board.

DeadTrees

Dreams-Visions said:
A University that cares more about its integrity than sport.
Lulz, let's not give them that much credit. Tonight was about the trustees doing everything possible to keep the Department of Education away from the one thing they actually care about: profiting obscenely from uncompensated, excruciating labor.

That the people they expelled from the good ol' boy network just happened to be the same people who let their goodbuddy rape kids left and right for years is entirely incidental.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Godslay said:
I know it's ot but it needs to be said that football is not some barbaric game reserved for the lower class of the U.S. It's sounds incredibly arrogant to assume that only lower class people watch the sport. If you actually believe this you can get off your high horse. That's my quibble with that. People of all backgrounds enjoy the game.

Counterpoint: http://deadspin.com/5735160/when-auburn-fans-descend-on-walmart/gallery/1

Hari Seldon

Brinbe said:
Yep, those students just need to go the fuck home and read that Grand Jury report. Sickening.

Go home, read the grand jury report, then get back on the streets and riot against the entire university administration.

As far as sports riots go, that would be easily the best reason to riot. I mean Vancouver burned to the ground over a fucking loss.

DeadTrees said:
Lulz, let's not give them that much credit. Tonight was about the trustees doing everything possible to keep the Department of Education away from the one thing they actually care about: profiting obscenely from uncompensated, excruciating labor.

That the people they expelled from the good ol' boy network just happened to be the same people who let their goodbuddy rape kids left and right for years is entirely incidental.
Well, for a moment let me think that they did this because it was the right thing to do.

:-(

remnant

Banned
effzee said:
Fuck everyone involved.

Holy shit I just caught up on the allegations and things done.

What the hell is wrong with people?
You'll be foolish not to join this. This doesn't normally happen in Penn St.

C Jones said:
Who's gonna land that first JoePa interview? He can do all the talking he wants now.

It's probably not in his best interest to talk if that statement early is any sign. He'll just make himself look even worse.

C Jones said:
Who's gonna land that first JoePa interview? He can do all the talking he wants now.
You know what's wild to think about?

Joe Paterno will NEVER been involved with anything related to Penn State University ever again. Not helping recruit. Not officially advising coaches. Not a damn thing.

Crazy.

Hari Seldon

Vire said:
Good to know that the students are just as incompetent as their leaders.

ESPN is making me rage.

You mean like the entire city of Vancouver, all of the UK (soccer, random riots, et. al.) and various other college football towns in the US? This is a more meaningful riot than any of those. The JoePa firing is simply a focal point of the anger against the university for participating in this coverup.

Lonestar

Hari Seldon said:
Go home, read the grand jury report, then get back on the streets and riot against the entire university administration.

As far as sports riots go, that would be easily the best reason to riot. I mean Vancouver burned to the ground over a fucking loss.

UT Knoxville was improved by riots when Lane F'ing Kiffin left for USCw

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Godslay said:
Even with that being said, it is a game. Sexual abuse is of more importance than football. I don't give a fuck if they nuke Penn State from college football forever. If it prevents 1 rape then it's worth it.

Umm, cancelling the season next year does nothing to fix anything that's happened in the past.

Those calling for the death penalty, why not just take it the next step, cancel the school.. close it down... why not.. why stop at football.. it went farther than that.. because using your logic "higher education<<<<<<child being raped"..

Seriously, and the guy who claimed football is for the lower class.. how's the view from that high horse you're on?

VALIS

As far as "not punishing the kids" in regards to closing down the football program, people make the same bad argument about innocent employees in corrupt companies.

Sorry, it sucks, it really does, but they're collateral damage. If you don't punish the institution severely, what threat might stop them or similar institutions from doing something like this again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom