• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pxleyes said:
It's actually not a bad question. People--even commentators on ESPN--were certainly talking about the possibility of them cancelling games. I think she just worded it poorly.

Godslay said:
Come on. This is bullshit garbage. First of all it tells me you are completely judgmental based upon a person's looks. You don't know these people, their personalities, or their socioeconomic background. They are pictures of people appreciating a football trophy. It's an attraction. It doesn't speak to anything of who they are. Grow up.
HE'S KIDDING. CALM THE FUCK DOWN.

Talamius

Hari Seldon said:
You mean like the entire city of Vancouver, all of the UK (soccer, random riots, et. al.) and various other college football towns in the US? This is a more meaningful riot than any of those. The JoePa firing is simply a focal point of the anger against the university for participating in this coverup.

I can trust these same students will show just as much emotion in supporting Sandusky's alleged victims, right?

Kevtones

Crazy personal note for me when this story broke I remember my mom telling me she dated a Penn State coordinator in high school/college but I couldn't recall who it was name. I know he was there in 1994 when Oregon played PSU in the Rose Bowl but I couldn't remember who it was.

I called her immediately and the first thing she said to me was 'I dated Fran Ganter.' Phew.

JCX

Dreams-Visions said:
You know what's wild to think about?

Joe Paterno will NEVER been involved with anything related to Penn State University ever again. Not helping recruit. Not officially advising coaches. Not a damn thing.

Crazy.

He will within 2 years unless he dies before then. The thing about media firestorms is that they are fairly frequent and the public has a short memory. If MJ could get such sympathy after he allegedly touched kids, than Paterno will definitely be involved again.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Godslay said:
Come on. This is bullshit garbage. First of all it tells me you are completely judgmental based upon a person's looks. You don't know these people, their personalities, or their socioeconomic background. They are pictures of people appreciating a football trophy. It's an attraction. It doesn't speak to anything of who they are. Grow up.
Not necessarily their socioeconomic background, but it does say a bit about their educational background:

7b9oy.jpg

dojokun

Banned
VALIS said:
As far as "not punishing the kids" in regards to closing down the football program, people make the same bad argument about innocent employees in corrupt companies.

Sorry, it sucks, it really does, but they're collateral damage. If you don't punish the institution severely, what threat might stop them or similar institutions from doing something like this again?
I think the Board firing everyone involved and the police arresting the top guys is a pretty good deterrent.

Hari Seldon

Talamius said:
I can trust these same students will show just as much emotion in supporting Sandusky's alleged victims, right?

They are, they are rioting against the university for the entire coverup. Sandusky was a retired coach allowed to hang around exactly because of the corrupt University, Police, and District Attorney.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I Push Fat Kids said:
I called her immediately and the first thing she said to me was 'I dated Fran Ganter.' Phew.

My mental image of the phone call, was that she immediately responded with that, before you even said hi.

Godslay

Banned
NervousXtian said:
Umm, cancelling the season next year does nothing to fix anything that's happened in the past.

Those calling for the death penalty, why not just take it the next step, cancel the school.. close it down... why not.. why stop at football.. it went farther than that.. because using your logic "higher education<<<<<<child being raped"..

Seriously, and the guy who claimed football is for the lower class.. how's the view from that high horse you're on?

The point was that football doesn't matter in the face of sexual abuse. I understand you can't retroactively fix a problem such as this by doing anything to the football program.

Flavius

Dreams-Visions said:
You know what's wild to think about?

Joe Paterno will NEVER been involved with anything related to Penn State University ever again. Not helping recruit. Not officially advising coaches. Not a damn thing.

Crazy.

He'll be dead within a year, anyways.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Godslay said:
The point was that football doesn't matter in the face of sexual abuse. I understand you can't retroactively fix a problem such as this by doing anything to the football program.

I know it was your quote, but it wasn't really a reply to you as much as others.

Godslay said:

Also, you can find the same pictures, with the same Wal-Mart decor with Alabama fans. It's a state thing, not a football thing, obviously. We shouldn't judge an entire class of people when we can just judge a state.

Kevtones

Lonestar said:
My mental image of the phone call, was that she immediately responded with that, before you even said hi.

I said 'Hiiii mo-' before she cut me off. She works at the Register Guard (Eugene newspaper) so she had been hearing the news all day.

C Jones

Talamius said:
I've heard the students were tossing around some ideas for the game Saturday, like wearing all blue for the victims (think blue is a color for sexual assault victims).

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I Push Fat Kids said:
Man, those students should leave. Support is support but the man is 84 years old.

Gotta wake up in time for that early bird special.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Todd blackledge will be on espn in a bit. Wonder if he'll do a fiyyyaa-Paterno version of taste of the town?

mre

Schmitty said:
They aren't rioting, unless you consider chanting and standing around to be rioting. Penn State is made up of upper class yuppies too scared to do anything (for the most part)
I wonder what % of PSU students come from Philly. I'm willing to bet there aren't many Philly kids at Penn State.

mre

Schmitty said:
Are you kidding? hahaha it is all Pittsburgh v. Philly
Philly sports fans would know how to get a proper brawl started, so I'm calling shenanigans.

KingGondo

Banned
mre said:
I wonder what % of PSU students come from Philly. I'm willing to bet there aren't many Philly kids at Penn State.
Somebody tweeted that "tonight is the first time in years that PSU isn't a safety school."

I :jnc'd.

mre said:

This is relevant to me! My co-intern is from Philly and he said half his highschool went to Penn St. I then asked him if many went to Pitt and he said..."A few"

I just talked about this with him today over the water cooler.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
it's heartwarming to see all these students gathering in support of the children who were molested by Sandusky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom