• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

FyreWulff said:
"Hey, someone told me that they saw a crime happening".

"That's great, why don't you have the person that actually saw it talk to us *click*"

Paterno reported it to the people that were supposed to investigate it. The information he had was secondhand. Derp.
He never followed up on a case of child rape when nothing came of it. Derp.

Bowser said:
Oh I realize this, it just seems a bit odd. Not the best timing for Stern to hold a presser.
there are other things going on in the world of sport, and today was a big day for the NBA. It just so happens that this PSU stuff was happening today too.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bowser said:
Oh I realize this, it just seems a bit odd. Not the best timing for Stern to hold a presser.
On the contrary, I'd say it's the perfect time. Who cares what Stern had to say tonight?

Bowser said:
Yeah, its terrible timing for the NBA. They were probably done 2 hours ago, and were waiting for the damn riot to settle down.

However, other college teams are taking advantage of this situation to shove shit underneath the carpet.

UCF: UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble expected to resign following NCAA investigation
Oregon: Oregon adds to Willie Lyles paper trail through new document release
More documents about NCAA’s investigation of Willie Lyles released

Like I said earlier, I would not be surprised that Miami release information that their players were involved in a coke ring that was based out of Cuba.

tokkun

FyreWulff said:

"That's great, why don't you have the person that actually saw it talk to us *click*"

Paterno reported it to the people that were supposed to investigate it. The information he had was secondhand. Derp.

"Hey, one of my co-workers told me that they saw a guy I've known for 30 years raping a 10-year-old in the showers".

"OK! I will act as if it never happened!"

FyreWulff said:

There's the problem, regardless of whether or not he was told what ACTUALLY happened, he should have MADE SURE that it never happened again and was carried through to investigation and beyond. I mean do people really not have a problem with saying "He did what he had to do" is enough? The bare fucking minimum to keep a despicable, disgusting predator from raping kids in the divine PSU "temple" (see: facilities)?

So can the NCAA actually do something about this? Didn't they punish Baylor for one of their coaches lying about an off the field murder? And aren't they currently investigating Miami for one of their coaches helping a players girlfriend get an abortion or something? If those off the field issues fall under the NCAA penalty bubble then surely not reporting child rape being done by a member of the coaching staff and multiple times on campus and in the football facilities would fall under it. I am glad Joe Pa got fired, deserves much worse imho. Also, pardon my ignorance if anything I said about either of those other investigations is wrong.

Saw this on the Penn St. Facebook page and figured I'd should share it.

"So the police are there for a riot but they weren't there for that 10 year old boy smh that's terrible"

There's plenty more where that came from if you want to break your brain.

MIMIC

Banned
Sharp said:
He never followed up on a case of child rape when nothing came of it. Derp.

Yeah. The very nature of the event broke the chain of command and personal responsibility enters the picture. I'd be like, "So WTF happened? Did you call the police yet??" Or at the very least been personally involved in the investigation and saw it all the way through. The allegations were enormously serious.

FyreWulff said:
I know, I should be support vigilante justice enacted by JoePa going and shooting Sandusky himself without a trial.

Dude reported it to people that were supposed to do the actual evidence gathering to take him to trial. He didn't cover anything up and didn't participate in a child sex ring.

I can see it being real easy to get people to testify in cases like these in the future. How 'bout we get mad and put the actual child rapists in jail, hmm?

He's out on bail now, and supposedly prowling local Elementary school that he lives 1000 ft from. Like I said, doing the bare minimum gets you no where in cases like this. No wonder it didn't get anywhere. If Joe Paterno didn't want to bother to get things going, why would anyone else give a fucking shit? No one wanted Joe to enact vigilant justice on Sandusky; just maybe, you know, make sure he never saw the light of day, never harmed a 10-12 year old kid, and certainly never raped them ON PSU grounds again.

Wow, this dumbass woman named Abbey calling into the radio show to talk about how innocent Paterno is and she's mad he got fired.

There are people out there defending this, people! Breathing our air, drinking our water, actually DEFENDING TURNING A BLIND EYE TO CHILD SODOMY/RAPE/ORAL SEX

This is the shit that makes you lose faith in humanity

Van Owen

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I know, I should be support vigilante justice enacted by JoePa going and shooting Sandusky himself without a trial.

Dude reported it to people that were supposed to do the actual evidence gathering to take him to trial. He didn't cover anything up and didn't participate in a child sex ring.

I can see it being real easy to get people to testify in cases like these in the future. How 'bout we get mad and put the actual child rapists in jail, hmm?
Do you think if Paterno heard the incident involved his own child he would have told his boss and never mentioned it again?

985boi

mariachi507 said:
Saw this on the Penn St. Facebook page and figured I'd should share it.

"So the police are there for a riot but they weren't there for that 10 year old boy smh that's terrible"

There's plenty more where that came from if you want to break your brain.

There was one where somebody said, "Pray for Joe Pa, not the kids."

And 2 people LIKED the comment. Fucking unbelievable.

FyreWulff said:

If you think the State College PD or the Ohio State Police would have hung up on Joe Fucking Paterno, you are a really ignorant human being.

Sharp

FyreWulff said:
If you think second hand testimony would have been usable in court, you're assigning Joe Paterno god-like status.
There was plenty of additional evidence to use in court, if only the people who investigated had actually been interested in finding out the answer.

Cyan

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
If you think the State College PD or the Ohio State Police would have hung up on Joe Fucking Paterno, you are a really ignorant human being.
Seriously. It'd be more like:

"That's great, why don't you have the person that actually saw it talk to us."

"By the way, this is Joe Paterno speaking."

"Oh my God! We'll send ten squad cars immediately, sir! I'm so sorry!"

FyreWulff said:
If you think second hand testimony would have been usable in court, you're assigning Joe Paterno god-like status.

So, you are suggesting that what we are all saying is that there would have been no investigation, no follow-up, ect... that the DA would have went to court with just JoePa's phonecall?

God, you are amazingly bad at forming sensible arguments.

Salazar

FyreWulff said:

Why would second-hand testimony have needed immediately, and solely, to stand up in court ?

Edit: What Pristine_Condition said. You are either not conducting the argument in good faith or are in no intellectual or emotional condition to argue at all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All of these students who are rioting should be identified and humiliated as much as possible.

Good god, I weep for this country of people with such fucked up priorities.

FyreWulff

Salazar said:
Why would second-hand testimony have needed immediately, and solely, to stand up in court ?

Edit: What Pristine_Condition said. You are either not conducting the argument in good faith or are in no intellectual or emotional condition to argue at all.

PM me when you decide to not use personal attacks.

Branduil

FyreWulff said:

I like how you added a sarcastic "derp" to your post that actually works much better taken at face value.

I guess Penn State's new motto should be: go for Cs, because why do more than the bare minimum?

FyreWulff said:
Second hand testimony isn't admissible in court, but it's more then enough needed to get an investigation started by police.

He passed the buck because he didn't want to get his hands dirty. He took the easy way out because doing the right thing can be difficult sometimes. He now has to live with the fact that if he did the right thing, numerous young boys would not have been raped.

I think we dispatched this bullshit hearsay argument early on in the thread when one of the lawyers for the administrators used that in his defense against the charges. It just doesn't hold water, because you don't need court admissible testimony to start an investigation.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There was more than enough evidence to conduct an investigation in 1998! Things like a confession from Sandusky.

Officerrob said:
Second hand testimony isn't admissible in court, but it's more then enough needed to get an investigation started by police.

He passed the buck because he didn't want to get his hands dirty. He took the easy way out because doing the right thing can be difficult sometimes. He now has to live with the fact that if he did the right thing, numerous young boys would not have been raped.

here is what i don't understand and maybe someone can explain it to me.

Ok lets say on friday the guy walks in on sandusky banging the kid in the shower. he tells paterno on saturday. paterno calls up the AD and says "hey, so and so said he saw sandusky bangin a kid in the shower". the AD says "ok we'll handle it".

so monday rolls around, and what happens? sandusky was still on campus right? what does paterno say when he sees him walking around, a free man, on campus after he reported that he heard the guy raped some kid? doesn't bring it up? figures it was "taken care of" somehow? i don't get it

AlexMogil

Dan said:
All of these students who are rioting should be identified and humiliated as much as possible.

Good god, I weep for this country of people with such fucked up priorities.
They are being tracked through the government sites of Facebook and Twitter.

SerArthurDayne said:
I think we dispatched this bullshit hearsay argument early on in the thread when one of the lawyers for the administrators used that in his defense against the charges. It just doesn't hold water, because you don't need court admissible testimony to start an investigation.

Yep.

And what's even more infuriating about these arguments being used to defend Paterno's inaction is the "Cult of Joe" is ignoring Joe's own words.

Joe Paterno himself said to the media "I wish I had done more." It doesn't get any clearer than that. He's ADMITTED he could have done something to prevent more little boys from being raped...but he decided not to.

So what are these defenders defending, anyway?

Salazar

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't get it

Seems like they drafted a rule to prevent him bringing kids into the facility. Which would be a tragically feeble response even if the rule were not - in their words - somehow "unenforceable".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom