• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bigtroyjon said:
Funny stuff considering yesterday I told you that if you thought Curley and Schultz were 100% guilty it meant you believed McQueary.

Still caught in that corner I see.

If you noticed I ignored your comment because it is so stupid it makes my head spin. Please stop bringing this up.

Salaadin

Im not sure it even matters what Paterno was told. All that counts here is that McQueary saw something, reported it and then stopped. Paterno heard about it from McQueary, reported it, and then stopped.

The big problem here comes from the fact that they stopped even after Jerry was still running around the campus with children.

beast786 said:
So they kept the liar. LOL, makes sense.
Youre implying that the board of trustees held some sort of investigation and decided to fire Joe because he lied. Based on what they said yesterday, thats not how it went. They got together, met up with Spanier, and decided that Spanier and JoePa had to go. Im not sure that they know much more than us at this point.

hoos30

samus i am said:
Why would Paterno report it to Schultz if he wanted to cover it up?

Paterno reported it to the "A.D.", Curley. At a place like Penn State, the AD's job is to do the shit that the King (Paterno) doesn't want to do.

AD's Tuesday Schedule:
1) Order jock straps for the hoops team
2) Schedule meeting with boosters over parking passes
3) Sandbag this shit about Jer and the little kids...if this story gets out the Board will finally have the ammo they need to push me out before I get to 409.

It doesn't really matter what McQueary said to Paterno. The key incident was the 1998 one, not the 2002 one. Tom Boswell of the Washington Post explains how places like this work. It is metaphysically impossible that Paterno didn't know about 1998. When McQ + Dad come to his freakin house to tell him about the shower, that should have been a 100 alarm warning. We all know what they chose to do instead.

Bowser

samus i am said:

A total fanboy article with a fanboy point of view does not make it a great article:

When Joe Paterno released his retirement statement Wednesday morning, he said that he would finish out the year coaching. A large majority of the people I follow on Twitter and TV commentators said it wasn't enough and were adamant about it. He needed to resign now or be fired by the Board of Trustees. A huge, HUGE backlash for a man who just wants to coach four or five more football games. Later on in the afternoon, Ben Jones of Black Shoes Diaries and StateCollege.com tweeted that he was told Jerry Sandusky was spotted working out in a gym with his wife this morning. The reaction? "Wow." "Geez." "Welp."

When will people realize this is not about fucking football anymore? This is so much bigger than fucking football.

This story has become so twisted that negative emotion about a man coaching a football game exceeds that of an accused chlid molester walking the streets of the town where he committed his crimes by what it seems to be millions of percent. By focusing on the tear-down of the most notable figure involved in the case, people have become numb to the man who did the most damage and those who have been accused to covering up that damage.

Sensationalizing a story led to Joe Paterno being the first man to lose his job in this fiasco. And while I have no qualms about saying Joe had to step down after this mess blew up, when looking back at the facts, is he really the first man who should have gotten the axe?

This is just absurd and patently false. Curley and Schultz lost their jobs first (only an idiot believes they'll ever be allowed back from their "leave of absences") and Spanier was fired along with Paterno. Where does this idiot get that Paterno was the first to be axed.

Really, this is the best you can come up with?

edit: I just realized this was written by the former sports editor of the Penn State Student Newspaper. Come on dude, there is no way he is being objective about this.

Barrett2

Salaadin said:
Im not sure it even matters what Paterno was told. All that counts here is that McQueary saw something, reported it and then stopped. Paterno heard about it from McQueary, reported it, and then stopped.

If it was revealed that one of them lied to the grand jury, that would be pretty huge.

All we can go on at this point is that the grand jury found Mquery "highly credible."

I'm failing to see where people like Samus I Am are coming from. Can you break down exactly what you have beef with? Do you think Paterno did nothing wrong and didn't deserve to be fired? Do you think he should have been allowed to coach one more game? Rest of the season on his own terms? Are you mad that the media is being mean to him? I get that what Sandisky did was infinitely worse, but there is no story there. Right or wrong, everyone has already concluded that he's a monster. He doesnt have people rallying and rioting in his defense. Ultimately nobody really cares what he has to say. People just want him to disappear. But the inaction and failure by Paterno and the school administration is the bigger story. It's not by any means the worse story, but it is bigger. And Joe's stature and profile, which has been good to him up until now, makes it even bigger. Do you honestly not see that?

samus i am said:
If you noticed I ignored your comment because it is so stupid it makes my head spin. Please stop bringing this up.
Facts make your head spin huh?

Sure it's not just cause your a troll caught in a corner? You either believe McQueary or you don't. Since yesterday you said that Shultz and Curley are 100% guilty that means you believed him right?

Ninja Scooter said:
I'm failing to see where people like Samus I Am are coming from. Can you break down exactly what you have beef with? Do you think Paterno did nothing wrong and didn't deserve to be fired? Do you think he should have been allowed to coach one more game? Rest of the season on his own terms? Are you mad that the media is being mean to him? I get that what Sandisky did was infinitely worse, but there is no story there. Right or wrong, everyone has already concluded that he's a monster. He doesnt have people rallying and rioting in his defense. Ultimately nobody really cares what he has to say. People just want him to disappear. But the inaction and failure by Paterno and the school administration is the bigger story. It's not by any means the worse story, but it is bigger. And Joe's stature and profile, which has been good to him up until now, makes it even bigger. Do you honestly not see that?

My feelings fall pretty much in line with the Huffington Post article. Sandusky is a monster. Curly and Schultz tried to cover it up. Paterno did take action (perhaps not enough) and he is being singled out because he is the most famous.

Sanjuro

@CoryGiger
Cory Giger
Female PSU student just said to CNN crew on College Ave., "Go home. We don't want you here. Pleeeease."

Fixed

@CoryGiger
Cory Giger
Female PSU student just said to CNN crew on College Ave., "Go home. We need to get back to anally raping children in secret. Pleeeease."

tokkun

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
Why is McQueary still coaching and/or employed?

Penn did not fire Paterno because they were outraged at his actions, they fired him because he was a huge PR liability.

McQueary will eventually be fired or leave too unless he manages to hang on long enough to be exonerated at trial. Whether he is quickly fired depends on whether the media chooses to focus on him. I will be surprised if we see him on the sidelines at the Nebraska game. He will probably be put on leave or something like that.

samus i am said:

This was the first of many "facts" that was made up by the national media. If you've read the Grand Jury testimony, I commend you. Now go read it again. Pick out the part where it says Joe never went back to Tim Curley or Gary Schultz to see what was happening in the process. It never says he did, but it sure as hell doesn't say he didn't either.

The bolded part is a lie. Joe's own son Scott said that Joe never followed up on the matter with anyone.

samus i am said:
My feelings fall pretty much in line with the Huffington Post article. Sandusky is a monster. Curly and Schultz tried to cover it up. Paterno did take action (perhaps not enough) and he is being singled out because he is the most famous.
So do you not think that his inaction in an allegation of child rape, that occurred in his facilities, merits him being dismissed immediately?

beast786

CrankyJay said:
This story just makes me so angry....and what's this news story about the DA involved years ago has been missing ever since?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ky-Has-Been-Missing-Since-2005-133615093.html

That is what I have been saying. It seems Sandusky was a very very powerful man. If the report are correct about him pimping kids to rich donors, then he has a lot of stuff on very very powerful people.

If you know this stuff, then it makes sense how people were afraid to tell on him and scared with there life.

yankeehater said:
The bolded part is a lie. Joe's own son Scott said that Joe never followed up on the matter with anyone.

He was referring to what was in the Grand Jury testimony. Still, it would have been good for him to follow up on it.

Sanjuro

tokkun said:
Penn did not fire Paterno because they were outraged at his actions, they fired him because he was a huge PR liability.

McQueary will eventually be fired or leave too unless he manages to hang on long enough to be exonerated at trial. Whether he is quickly fired depends on whether the media chooses to focus on him. I will be surprised if we see him on the sidelines at the Nebraska game. He will probably be put on leave or something like that.
He same rules apply to McQueary in terms of PR heat. The question is what else does he know? What might he tell reporters if he is fired today?

JGS

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Um, the legal standard is currently "fire a guy for any reason you want outside of discrimination" in most states.
Followed by a lawsuit when the "at will employment guideline" is trumped by the HR policy of any particular organization which in a college setting would almost certainly allow for a greater standard than getting rid of someone solely because they feel like it.

I dare any company to fire someone with the whacky notion of "We thought he knew something..."
Bowser said:
That's how I see this. Paterno gets, at best, a C- for his role. Because that's what it was - the bare minimum.
I think Paterno defenders (I guess I have to include myself) are wondering what makes him more reprehensible. I don't know Paterno at all but looking at the case, his doing the bare minimum is way above the efforts of everyone else involved.

In fact, considering the utter failure of everyone involved, it should be pretty evident that it's unrealistic to have an expectation that anyone except the witness had a duty to call the cops. I tell you right now I would not call the cops on the testimony of one person so I would be guilty of doing the bare minimum too.

The weird thing is that he's being treated like he did the worst. EVERYONE else did far worse than him, so it's silly to focus blame on the only guy that did the legally correct thing. He certaily should have remorse. Further, there is no doubt that whether he knew more or not, his focus was on the program more than helping molested kids. But legally & even ethically on that particular day, the guy is clear.

However, his C- is better than the F's that flew around. The abuse could have stopped that very day if McCreary hadn't punked out. The arrest could have happened the next day if the AD had followed up on his job which was the exact same duty everyone else says Paterno had.

Dude Abides

Banned
samus i am said:
Yes, have you?

Yes. Curley isn't Schultz. Paterno told Curley, not Schultz. Paterno did not testify that he told Schultz. Schultz and Schultz alone testified that there was a meeting between him, Curley, and Paterno. Are you going to take the word of an accused perjurer over that of Saint Joe?

eznark

Banned
yankeehater said:

Yes but do you have surveillance footage of his every second over the last 12 years? No? Didn't think so. So how can you possibly knoooooooow??

Good christ, someone actually linked that article as being a "good write up?"

JGS said:
Followed by a lawsuit when the "at will employment guideline" is trumped by the HR policy of any particular organization which in a college setting would almost certainly allow for a greater standard than getting rid of someone solely because they feel like it.

I dare any company to fire someone with the whacky notion of "We thought he knew something..."
I think Paterno defenders (I guess I have to include myself) are wondering what makes him more reprehensible. I don't know Paterno at all but looking at the case, his doing the bare minimum is way above the efforts of everyone else involved.

In fact, considering the utter failure of everyone involved, it should be pretty evident that it's unrealistic to have an expectation that anyone except the witness had a duty to call the cops. I tell you right now I would not call the cops on the testimony of one person so I would be guilty of doing the bare minimum too.

The weird thing is that he's being treated like he did the worst. EVERYONE else did far worse than him, so it's silly to focus blame on the only guy that did the legally correct thing. He certaily should have remorse. Further, there is no doubt that whether he knew more or not, his focus was on the program more than helping molested kids. But legally & even ethically on that particular day, the guy is clear.

However, his C- is better than the F's that flew around. The abuse could have stopped that very day if McCreary hadn't punked out. The arrest could have happened the next day if the AD had followed up on his job which was the exact same duty everyone else says Paterno had.
Forget about who Paterno reported the information to and whether or not he did enough, he continued to allow Sandusky at his facilities and around his players AFTER McQuery's allegation. That alone is enough to merit him being fired.

samus i am said:

Perhaps ...

Fucking deplorable.

His leadership status and role as someone who molds youth had nothing to do with it either. Just his fame ...

Fucking rediculous.

You're so caught up with this whole, "everyone is out on a witchhunt" schtick.

Bowser said:
and written by the former sports editor of the Penn State student rag. lol.

...who says "I'm not here to defend what Joe Paterno did or did not do," right before launching into a detailed, four-point defense of Joe Paterno, which clearly only presents points in favor of Paterno and omits facts against him.

It would be funny that former Penn State students like Dan Vecellio would put themselves out there like this--funny that is, if it weren't so pathetic--and if the central crime this whole thing centers on, and the institutional conspiracy of silence to keep that crime swept under the rug, wasn't so absolutely morally sickening.

I guess for the Penn State cult, concentrating on this trumped-up bugaboo of "the media" is easier to do than just admitting Joe Paterno isn't a good man.

apana

Aren't coaches supposed to be leaders? I think from a moral standpoint, not necessarily legal, the coach needs to be making sure that everyone who is under him or worked with him is behaving appropriately. Especially if you are suspicous for years that the man may be a child rapist! Like if you found out your co worker was possibly murdering people, would you just file a complaint at work, and then show up the next day and be joking around with him?

samus i am said:
He was referring to what was in the Grand Jury testimony. Still, it would have been good for him to follow up on it.

I know he was talk about the GJ testimony, but he was using it to try and say that maybe Joe did follow up on it, when his own son and lawyer have said that he did not. It is clear that the author of the article is trying to distort the facts to make Joe look better.

samus i am said:
The other three are all indicted facing felony charges and you think Paterno has been singled out?

Bowser

Pristine_Condition said:
...who says "I'm not here to defend what Joe Paterno did or did not do," right before launching into a detailed, four-point defense of Joe Paterno, which clearly only presents points in favor of Paterno and omits facts against him.

It would be funny that former Penn State students like Dan Vecellio would put themselves out there like this--funny that is, if it weren't so pathetic--and if the central crime this whole thing centers on, and the institutional conspiracy of silence to keep that crime swept under the rug, wasn't so absolutely morally sickening.

Not only omits facts but outright twists and distorts them. That article isn't worth being used as toilet paper, let alone as evidence of a "great write-up" presenting the facts.

Salaadin

The thing I dont like about this whole Ray Gricar thing (aside from him not pressing charges) is that in every report Ive read and every investigative TV show about him that Ive seen, they all paint him as this hard hitting, no BS type of DA. The article above even says it: "No one got a bye from Ray".

Jerry Sandusky did so shut the hell up.

Branduil

JGS said:
I tell you right now I would not call the cops on the testimony of one person so I would be guilty of doing the bare minimum too.
And I'd fire you too if you worked for me and I found that out. It's not just because he's Paterno.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Predictions:

-10+ more victims will come forward
-Huge conspiracy will be exposed in PA. 12+ will go to jail. Paterno included.
-There will be a few suicides by those charged
-The "pimping" ring will be proved to be true
-Penn will pay $500+ mil in settlements and lose federal grants
-McQueary will not coach on Saturday

Hari Seldon

C Jones said:
Story is filled with factual errors. It's junk.

The story has a good point though. For over 10 years the national media idiots have been saying that Joe is senile and asking when he is going to retire. Now they are painting him as some criminal mastermind behind all of this.

apana said:
Aren't coaches supposed to be leaders? I think from a moral standpoint, not necessarily legal, the coach needs to be making sure that everyone who is under him or worked with him is behaving appropriately. Especially if you are suspicous for years that the man may be a child rapist! Like if you found out your co worker was possibly murdering people, would you just file a complaint at work, and then show up the next day and be joking around with him?
In many states it's now illegal to NOT report incidences of child molestation/rape to the police.

These laws were adopted in the wake of the Catholic Church scandal.

It was something that should have ALWAYS been the moral and ethical thing to do, but the states put it on the books to help people struggling with their ethics and morals do the right thing. It appears that these men were of lower decency...and it's too bad Pennsylvania wasn't a state with that law on the books.

And as others have said, I'm pretty surprised that they'd allow the one guy to remain and coach after proving to be of such poor core decency as to not eventually go to the police after what he saw. I just don't understand it.

open_mouth_ said:
Predictions:

-10+ more victims will come forward
-Huge conspiracy will be exposed in PA. 12+ will go to jail. Paterno included.
-There will be a few suicides by those charged
-The "pimping" ring will be proved to be true
-Penn will pay $500+ mil in settlements and lose federal grants
-McQueary will not coach on Saturday
I agree with the bolded.

I don't know how much Penn State will be on the hook for, but it will be substantial. $500 million seems quite high...but they'll be on the hook for a meaningful amount to be sure.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Dreams-Visions said:
I FUCKING LOL'D.

So if a grown man tells you that he saw another grown man "fondling" a 10 year old boy instead of having full-blown sex with him, it makes more sense to be apathetic towards the event? To not call the police immediately?

C'mon, son.
Don't be so harsh on him. There is a distinct difference in American law between "rape" and "rape-rape." Just ask Whoopi.

beast786

Salaadin said:
The thing I dont like about this whole Ray Gricar thing (aside from him not pressing charges) is that in every report Ive read and every investigative TV show about him that Ive seen, they all paint him as this hard hitting, no BS type of DA. The article above even says it: "No one got a bye from Ray".

Jerry Sandusky did so shut the hell up.

If reports/rumors are correct and he is pimping kids to rich donors. Then Sandusky might be one of the most powerful people. He might have stuff on a lot of powerful people.

Think about it. He has literally been openly raping young kids. And yet still, people were scared crap to do anything about it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hari Seldon said:
The story has a good point though. For over 10 years the national media idiots have been saying that Joe is senile and asking when he is going to retire. Now they are painting him as some criminal mastermind behind all of this.
negligent, not criminal mastermind. there's also no contradiction between being senile and negligence.

Branduil

Hari Seldon said:
No, they're painting him as a hypocrite who failed to do the right thing when it mattered most, because of freaking football, and I have yet to see a cogent argument that excuses him on this.

beast786

Hari Seldon said:

These things were done about a decade ago 2002. He is part of a pawn.

verbum

samus i am said:

That may be true but it doesn't negate any lack of action on Paterno's part. He had an obligation to report it to the police, he did not. Apparently, he knew of a prior incident when Sandusky was interviewed by the campus police for molesting another child back in the 90's.
Paterno stuck his head in the sand and is now paying the price. He was a good football coach. He was also lax in his responsibility as a US citizen in reporting crimes. Morally, he was bankrupt. He put the welfare of PSU ahead of a 10 year old boy being raped.

beast786

verbum said:
That may be true but it doesn't negate any lack of action on Paterno's part. He had an obligation to report it to the police, he did not. Apparently, he knew of a prior incident when Sandusky was interviewed by the campus police for molesting another child back in the 90's.
Paterno stuck his head in the sand and is now paying the price. He was a good football coach. He was also lax in his responsibility as a US citizen in reporting crimes. Morally, he was bankrupt. He put the welfare of PSU ahead of a 10 year old boy being raped.

Also, he continued to allow Sandusky at his facilities and around his players AFTER McQuery's allegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom