• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

The sad irony of the situation is that McQueary obviously didn't do more to protect his job/future at PSU.. and yet, he now has a scarlet letter branded on him that's redder than his hair and cheeks. He may get to coach out the rest of the season, but there's no way he'll ever have another job in the profession. Dude now can see what it feels like to be fucked.

Dude Abides

Banned
Salaadin said:
The PSU lawyers said that Paterno was never told of the 98 incident. Whether we choose to believe them or not is a whole other thing.

Paterno also testified that, though it seems implausible that he wouldn't know about it.

The GJ report is strangely vague when it comes to what Paterno knew and when he knew it, starting with McQueary told him "what he had seen." I said this yesterday, but I think there was a calculated judgment by the DA to gloss over how (morally) culpable Paterno may have been.

beast786

samus i am said:
He has no source. This thread has become a one stop shop for misinformation and outright lies.

Obviously, makes perfect sense for a D-Coordinator to resign out of no where after decade of working. A D-Coordinator that some believe was going to take over Joe P, the master mind Defense.

Then suddenly after 1998, he retired one year latter and just vanishes. But still comes around with young kids in campus and holds key to the facility.

Barrett2

samus i am said:
Of course it's bullshit since it doesn't fall in line with your views.

Um, didn't the article contain factual errors?

Dude Abides said:
Paterno also testified that, though it seems implausible that he wouldn't know about it.

The GJ report is strangely vague when it comes to what Paterno knew and when he knew it, starting with McQueary told him "what he had seen." I said this yesterday, but I think there was a calculated judgment by the DA to gloss over how (morally) culpable Paterno may have been.

That seems plausible. Maybe they thought revealing his full knowledge would make it hard for them to carry out the investigation without causing an even bigger shitstorm? Plus, dude is probably gonna die soon.

Hari Seldon

Pristine_Condition said:
So? People said mean things about your beloved JoePa that weren't true. Big motherfucking deal.

You think that absolves him of not picking up the phone and calling the State Police in 2002, when he clearly was completely lucid? (See the video of him from 2006 posted above.)

You think because people said mean, untrue things about Paterno before means nobody can mention actual FACTS about him now? Unreal.

I've seen this same thing at my school. Rival fans had been saying Mike Leach at Texas Tech was a total drunk and just a lucky buffoon for the better part of a decade, yet now they speak of him as if he was the greatest offensive mind ever to coach football, and that Tech was insane to run him off. Rivals say things to tweak rivals. Big fucking whoop.

I think it absolves him of trusting that the university officials would handle this situation, which was outside the scope of the athletic department. I think the only thing Joe Paterno is guilty of is not wanting to get involved in taking down his long time friend and so passed the buck. We do not yet know what load of bullshit he was fed by Schultz et. al. after this incident. Perhaps they told him it was all a big misunderstanding, and being old and not really willing to believe his friend could do this, he accepted that. I don't know. I am waiting to hear Paterno's side of the story because I am obviously a fan.

I don't fault other people for calling for his head, I realize I am holding onto a shred of hope.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lawblob said:
If it was revealed that one of them lied to the grand jury, that would be pretty huge.

All we can go on at this point is that the grand jury found Mquery "highly credible."

It was revealed that they believe someone lied. The 2 people charged with Perjury.

Hari Seldon said:
No, but at some point you become too old to both do your day job and do the job of the HR guy whose job it actually was to kick off the police investigation. Not that I think Joe could have done more, of course he could have, but I am willing to suspend my condemnation of him until I hear whether someone fed him a load of bullshit which I think was likely. I mean you have two criminals who lied to a grand jury, why wouldn't they also have lied to Paterno?

Who fed him the line of crap? The administration? Wouldn't he then have to ignore what McQueary saw in order to believe the admininstarations line of crap? Maybe McQueary fed him dumbed down information and didn't explicitly say "rape". Even then, dumbed down information still consists of an older man and a young boy in a shower and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Your implication that he's too old to do his coaching job and also follow up on this is almost not even worty of being brought up.

I don't see a possible scenario in which he can come out of this squeeky clean. He made a poor moral judgement somewhere in the past 9 years for Sandusky to still be showing up on campus.

Meier said:
The sad irony of the situation is that McQueary obviously didn't do more to protect his job/future at PSU.. and yet, he now has a scarlet letter branded on him that's redder than his hair and cheeks. He may get to coach out the rest of the season, but there's no way he'll ever have another job in the profession. Dude now can see what it feels like to be fucked.

Actually, we don't know the extent that he covered himself. He may very well have documentation or audio tapes of meetings and the like. Penn State's lawyers certainly have to be mindful that there may be cards he has not yet played.

That's why I think he'll get some kind of a "whistle blower" settlement, with a confidentiality agreement. He can't be fired obviously, or he would have been ousted by now, but he likely can't continue to coach either. And yeah, he can't go anywhere else either. You know he's been lawyered up since being summoned to testify, so the mechanism for him getting paid is probably already in motion.

samus i am said:
Of course it's bullshit since it doesn't fall in line with your views.

This is such an odd thing to pick a battle about. You're indignant that people are being maybe "overly critical" of a legendary coach who was oblivious toward a decade or more of child rape occurring under his nose, at least once in his locker room. At best. That's the most generous interpretation of the events as we understand them to have occurred, right now, assuming absolutely no new developments. Ha ha.

Remember, those people at the rally can deny they were ever there. Posts in a thread, not so much.

Salaadin

Spectral Glider said:
Source for that?

I heard something similar too but I think it was on ESPN or CNN last night with no articles cited or anything.
Ive seen some articles say that Sara Ganim reported this but I cant find any sources yet.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
This is such an odd thing to pick a battle about. You're indignant that people are being maybe "overly critical" of a legendary coach who was oblivious toward a decade or more of child rape occurring under his nose, at least once in his locker room. At best. That's the most generous interpretation of the events as we understand them to have occurred, right now, assuming absolutely no new developments. Ha ha.

Remember, those people at the rally can deny they were ever there. Posts in a thread, not so much.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. However, I will change my position if information comes out indicating Paterno was a part of the coverup with Curley and Schultz.

Branduil

Joe Shlabotnik said:

He's just worried about the real victim in all of this, a multi-millionaire football coach.

beast786 said:
Obviously, makes perfect sense for a D-Coordinator to resign out of no where after decade of working. A D-Coordinator that some believe was going to take over Joe P, the master mind Defense.

Then suddenly after 1998, he retired one year latter and just vanishes. But still comes around with young kids in campus and holds key to the facility.

From the Grand Jury report.

Victim 4 remembers Sandusky being emotionally upset after having a meeting with Joe
Paterno in which Paterno told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State and
which preceded Sandusky's retirement. Sandusky told Victim 4 not to tell anyone about the
meeting. That meeting occurred in May, l999.

It's pretty obvious that he was forced to either retire or be fired.

Kosmo

Banned
samus i am said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. However, I will change my position if information comes out indicating Paterno was a part of the coverup with Curley and Schultz.

You're ignoring the fact that Sandusky kind of abruptly retires after working with joePa for decades and you don't think JoePa had any inkling why that happened?

Barrett2

samus i am said:

So you've decided that with Paterno, anything short of being a literal co-conspirator means he did nothing morally wrong?

Sanjuro

I H8 Memes said:
From the Grand Jury report.

It's pretty obvious that he was forced to either retire or be fired.
I don't think it's obvious. I think he just reached the conclusion that he wasn't going to ever get the head coaching position and vented in his monstrous way. I honestly believe relocating wasn't an option for him because he had a good thing going with his Second Mile program.

Dude Abides said:

It's not "strangely vague" at all. The grand jury was never tasked to investigate Paterno, so that's why it's not in the report. Nothing strange about that.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't think it's obvious. I think he just reached the conclusion that he wasn't going to ever get the head coaching position and vented in his monstrous way. I honestly believe relocating wasn't an option for him because he had a good thing going with his Second Mile program.

OH SHIT! We agree on something...

Meier said:

And all he had to do was to call the police.

Salaadin

The source regarding whether or not JoePa knew about 1998 comes from Devon Edwards (of Onward State) twitter, reporting what he heard from Sara Ganim, the woman who I believe first reported on the Sandusky scandal back in March

Ganim: Gary Schultz testified that he knew about 1998 report, but nobody knows if Curley/Spanier did. And JoePa testified that he didn't.
http://twitter.com/#!/Devon2012/status/133936642410024961
Ganim: "I think it's fair to say, as far as you could possibly say, that Joe Paterno didn't know about [the 1998 investigation]."
http://twitter.com/#!/Devon2012/status/133936889794265088

http://onwardstate.com/author/devon/

This is Sara Ganims first article back in March:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/jerry_sandusky_former_penn_sta.html

I have no idea how credible any of these people are but thats where the idea that JoePa didnt know about '98 is coming from.

Futureman

samus i am said:

Hasn't it been determined that Sandusky was told not to bring children on campus anymore? I'm failing to see how THAT is not a coverup? He should have been behind bars there and then, but that did not happen. They still let him come on campus and use the facilities after it was known he was raping children. Cover. Up.

C Jones said:
What does that have to do with my question?

Edit: nice edit

It was in the article, but I did not bring it up in my post so here you go:

Scott Paterno said on Sunday that his father had not been aware of the 1998 investigation. If he had been, Scott Paterno suggested, his father would have acted differently when he learned of the episode in 2002.

“Speaking on behalf of the family, if Joe had knowledge in ’98, it’s impossible for us to conceive that he wouldn’t have remembered that in 2002,” Scott Paterno said. “Anytime he has been questioned whether he had prior knowledge to 2002, he’s answered the same way every time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/s...-how-paterno-reacted.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

Salaadin said:
The source regarding whether or not JoePa knew about 1998 comes from Devon Edwards (of Onward State) twitter, reporting what he heard from Sara Ganim, the woman who I believe first reported on the Sandusky scandal back in March

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/jerry_sandusky_former_penn_sta.html

I have no idea how credible any of these people are but thats where the idea that JoePa didnt know about '98 is coming from.

Please. This is so ridiculous. Nobody tells the guy that his D coordinator is under investigation for molesting children? The guy who is scheduled to take over at Paternos precious Penn State as head coach?

Or would you argue that Paterno is so out of it that they dont tell him in 1998 because he cant even follow what they are saying? That is why they nobody told him? In that case he should have been fired in 1998 for incompetence. And he must be so incompetent by now that he deserves to be fired again today just to be sure he gets it. He may need to be re-fired every day if he is that senile.

Salaadin

I H8 Memes said:
Please. This is so ridiculous. Nobody tells the guy that his D coordinator is under investigation for molesting children? The guy who is scheduled to take over at Paternos precious Penn State as head coach?

Or would you argue that Paterno is so out of it that they dont tell him in 1998 because he cant even follow what they are saying? That is why they nobody told him? In that case he should have been fired in 1998 for incompetence. And he must be so incompetent by now that he deserves to be fired again today just to be sure he gets it. He may need to be re-fired every day if he is that senile.

I find it hard to believe as well. Im just answering a question that was asked but I seem to have lost the quote of who asked it.

braves01

Banned
Is the sex ring confirmed, or is it purely speculative and rage-fueled? I know someone relatively credible tweeted about it, but no one else has picked it up.

Also, McQuery was witness to child rape. Read the grand jury report about the janitor who witnessed Sandusky as well. His co-workers were afraid he would have a heart attack, and he compared what he saw then to what he had seen fighting in Korea. Being a witness to something like this would undoubtedly result in some degree of psychological trauma. In that sense, McQuery is a victim, too. The important thing is that he told someone. His father, Joe Paterno, the AD, Shulz, and the president of Penn St. should all be blamed for not "just calling the police" before McQuery.

Salaadin

braves01 said:
Is the sex ring confirmed, or is it purely speculative and rage-fueled? I know someone relatively credible tweeted about it, but no one else has picked it up.
Its been the same rumor tweeted for 3 days now. Nothing confirmed yet.

Salaadin said:

Onward State is apparently the Penn State fanboy paper.

It's like asking the staff of Go-Nintendo what they think of Shigeru Miyamoto...

TheNatural

My Member!
All I can say is if the speculation of the other stuff is true, this situation becomes 100 times worse. This guy deserves the death penalty.

Amory

braves01 said:
Being a witness to something like this would undoubtedly result in some degree of psychological trauma. In that sense, McQuery is a victim, too. .

lol, straight trollin.

See a kid being raped in the shower? GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE AND CALL YOUR DAD!!

C Jones

OuterWorldVoice said:
Serious question: Did you go to school at Penn? I just can't fathom why you're carrying all this water for a mess like this. You've expended more energy and effort than anyone in the thread and done nothing to actually support your horse in this race.
It's been asked but don't think it was ever answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom