• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky?
Not new information if you've followed this closely.
According to the grand jury, then, here is how McQueary’s eyewitness account became watered down at each stage:

McQueary: anal rape.
Paterno: something of a sexual nature.
Schultz: inappropriately grabbing of the young boy’s genitals.
Curley: inappropriate conduct or horsing around.
Spanier: conduct that made someone uncomfortable.
Raykovitz: a ban on bringing kids to the locker room.

These dates spanning 13 years share two common threads that run through the entire grand jury presentment. At each stage, boys voiced concern or pain or alarm at the conduct of Jerry Sandusky — or adults witnessed behavior they found troubling or alarming.

And at each stage, other adults dismissed, minimized or failed to act upon those concerns.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sirpopopop said:
JoePa is a big Republican supporter.

The Obama administration is now investigating Penn State.

Clearly it's a case of Democrats trying to keep a good Republican down.

Except that his kids a strong Democrats.

Oh Joe.

My heart is going to break eating that 1/2 gallon of Peachy Paterno.

then my colon.

Salazar

bigtroyjon said:
According to the grand jury, then, here is how McQueary’s eyewitness account became watered down at each stage:

McQueary: anal rape.
Paterno: something of a sexual nature.
Schultz: inappropriately grabbing of the young boy’s genitals.
Curley: inappropriate conduct or horsing around.
Spanier: conduct that made someone uncomfortable.
Raykovitz: a ban on bringing kids to the locker room.

I'm confident that all of these guys had a non-watered-down version, knew it was the truth, and it terrified them.

I like to think that it terrified them. The option that they just didn't give enough of a fuck is actually pretty plausible, but it makes me ill. I need, instinctively, to attribute some kind of active motivation; apathy is just so acutely contemptible. I'm ready to believe it, but I'd hate for it to be the case.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Except that his kids a strong Democrats.

Oh Joe.

My heart is going to break eating that 1/2 gallon of Peachy Paterno.

then my colon.
I'm really interested to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. I hope the best for him but am definitely on the side (and mindset) that he and anyone who knew about anything coming forth and doing more. And they failed at that. You get more upset the more you think about. Especially if you're a parent. It's been exhausted already, that point. And echoed too. But I was definitely more supporting at first but between his press release saying he will retire on his own terms, the pep rally chants in the sensitive time period, he's lost some goodwill. Not abandoning him but again, you can't blindly back the guy just because he's Joe Paterno. This is bigger than an institution.

Salazar said:
I'm confident that all of these guys had a non-watered-down version, knew it was the truth, and it terrified them.

I like to think that it terrified them. The option that they just didn't give enough of a fuck is actually pretty plausible, but it makes me ill.
Don't forget that McQeary went to his father (of all people) first. It screams cover up.

C4Lukins

What a sad sad story. I mean the guy has probably less then ten years left in his life, and this is what he has to go out on. A very tragic end to an amazing career.

I do feel sympathy for the old bloke. He has maybe 5 years of life left and it's tarnished forever because of some nutcase.

Still, I'm totally ignorant about the minutiae of the story. I'm Australian and have never heard of anyone involved, never heard of Penn State, etc. From afar it's just incredibly sad.

Sharp

bigtroyjon said:
The details of this case are sickening, but they're also all too typical of cases of child molestation by powerful people. There's somehow never "enough evidence" and the parents of the kids are too terrified of losing their jobs and the influence of the powerful accusers to do enough. Everyone starts casting doubt on the testimony of the kids--because hey, they're just kids!--or looking for ulterior motives from the parents (money, fame, etc.). One of my close friends was involved in an incident like this and it took over ten years before the man was finally brought to justice, and while he was a prominent figure in his community I don't think he had the kind of power that Sandusky did.

I'm in an argument with a friend-but-not-really-a-friend on Facebook over this.

He claims that people have lost sight of the fact that Sandusky, not Paterno, raped children. I told him that not one person I've seen has accused Paterno of raping children, and asked him to back up his claim.

Silence. So far.

BertramCooper said:

He claims that people have lost sight of the fact that Sandusky, not Paterno, raped children. I told him that not one person I've seen has accused Paterno of raping children, and asked him to back up his claim.

Silence. So far.
I mean, you have to had seen the overall point they were making, no?

ultron87

BertramCooper said:

Silence. So far.

I think he's right in that people are focusing far more on what Paterno and the others did/did not do than what Sandusky did. If he's actually saying that people are accusing Paterno of the rape, than he's being crazy.

Slizz

I think it's funny that news of this broke when? Late Sunday, early Monday morning? And so far there have been multiple Joe-Pa rallies, small rioting and other things having to do with only PSU the school and its staff.

So now its 5 days later and the very first candlelight vigil for the victims is today....

Dunno seems a bit odd.

Amory

GoldenEye 007 said:

Sandusky is in a class of his own, and he's going to rot in jail for the rest of his miserable life. There's not much of a conversation to be had about him. Paterno's the better story in the media right now, at least until the trial begins.

GoldenEye 007 said:
ultron87 said:
I think he's right in that people are focusing far more on what Paterno and the others did/did not do than what Sandusky did. If he's actually saying that people are accusing Paterno of the rape, than he's being crazy.
The reason people are focusing on Paterno is because there's no disagreement over Sandusky. Everyone agrees that he's a vile piece of shit.

There's really no reason to debate Sandusky's actions. They were unequivocally heinous. That doesn't mean people have lost sight of the fact that Sandusky is the primary cause of this mess.

ultron87 said:

Sandusky will most likely go to jail for life. He's also no longer allowed on campus and i'm pretty sure that he isn't allowed around his Second Mile program. So, there really isn't much the media or anyone else (outside of the law) can to do him.

The focus shifted toward Paterno, McQueary and others because they still held positions of power at the university. It also shifted toward them because people blame them for enabling this by not doing anything to stop it from happening.

Dreams-Visions said:
For those that missed it.

bigtroyjon said:
sums it up.

Kermit The Dog said:
I do feel sympathy for the old bloke. He has maybe 5 years of life left and it's tarnished forever because of some nutcase.
No, it's tarnished for failing to do the right thing ethically and morally...and failing to do it for damn near a decade after knowing about it.

A catastrophic failure in judgment and human decency on his part and everyone else who didn't bother going to the police at some point.

Baltimore TV sportscaster and Ravens play-by-play man Gerry Sandusky now has a title/logo that comes on-screen when he does his sports reports: Gerry with a "G"!

Poor guy.

ESPN is now reporting that Joe Pa has contacted a criminal defense attorney. Looks like the rumors about the AG going after him may be true.

ElRenoRaven

Dreams-Visions said:
For those that missed it.

sums it up.

No, it's tarnished for failing to do the right thing ethically and morally...and failing to do it for damn near a decade after knowing about it.

A catastrophic failure in judgment and human decency on his part and everyone else who didn't bother going to the police at some point.

Exactly. He sit there and let it all happen. I really do think that as they dig deeper we're going to find a lot more out that really brings to light how much everyone knew and it's not going to be pretty one bit. He knows it too because he hired himself a criminal attorney. He did this with them already having said that at this time they don't plan on going after him. To me that screams of a man that knows there is a lot more and a lot worse to come to light which will change that.

Lucky Forward said:
Baltimore TV sportscaster and Ravens play-by-play man Gerry Sandusky now has a title/logo that comes on-screen when he does his sports reports: Gerry with a "G"!

Poor guy.

Wow, that's what you call bad luck. Maybe he should go by Gerald or something.

Dude Abides

Banned
yankeehater said:
ESPN is now reporting that Joe Pa has contacted a criminal defense attorney. Looks like the rumors about the AG going after him may be true.

Surprised it took him this long. He should have lawyered up as soon as he got the GJ subpoena.

BertramCooper said:

Silence. So far.

People have lost sight of the fact that several young boys, not Paterno, are the victims here.

royalan

Reading tweets from high school players complaining about how they'll never get to play under Joe Paterno makes my stomach churn. This is all just a disgusting reminder of society's inclination to further prop up already powerful men.

Guess what? Sometimes the face of evil isn't pitchforks and devil horns. The fact that this man knew that there was a child molester associated with the University - with kids - and did nothing about it...

His legacy deserves every bit of mud it gets dragged through.

Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar. We chat it up a little bit about where she if from etc. etc. I end up getting her number when the bar starts to close. She then asks for directions on how to get to the metro. I tell her how to get there since I am familiar with the area. She then says, "Are you sure? I don't want to go down the wrong street and get JoePa'd!" WHAT THE FUCK!?! I tore up the business card she gave me and threw it at her.

Finally read the Grand Jury findings. Unbelievable, both in the depravity of the acts and the fact that this was allowed to continue for so long. Heads must roll.

samus i am said:
Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar. We chat it up a little bit about where she if from etc. etc. I end up getting her number when the bar starts to close. She then asks for directions on how to get to the metro. I tell her how to get there since I am familiar with the area. She then says "Are you sure? I don't want to go down the wrong street and get JoePa'd!" WHAT THE FUCK!?! I tore up the business card she gave me and threw it at her.
samus i am said:
Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar.
samus i am said:
I meet a really hot chick at a bar.
samus i am said:
at a bar.
well, there's your problem.

LegatoB

samus i am said:
Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar. We chat it up a little bit about where she if from etc. etc. I end up getting her number when the bar starts to close. She then asks for directions on how to get to the metro. I tell her how to get there since I am familiar with the area. She then says, "Are you sure? I don't want to go down the wrong street and get JoePa'd!" WHAT THE FUCK!?! I tore up the business card she gave me and threw it at her.
Did you knock over any magazine racks on your way through the metro station?

samus i am said:

So you met a hot chick with a sense of humor and you ripped up her number? LOL.

Salaadin

yankeehater said:
So you met a hot chick with a sense of humor and you ripped up her number? LOL.
Seriously. Joking that a guy who didnt even rape anybody actually rapes people is so funny. He should have proposed.

Dude Abides

Banned
Salaadin said:
Seriously. Joking that a guy who didnt even rape anybody actually rapes people is so funny. He should have proposed.

Maybe the joke was that she'd get raped and passers-by would tell a nearby bodega owner and be done with it.

Salaadin said:

Maybe she meant that she would learn about a horrible crime and then cover it up just to protect her legacy?

samus i am said:
I don't think you come out of this story looking as good as you think you do.

eznark

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I don't think you come out of this story looking as good as you think you do.

He is defending JoePa with more vigor than Patterno could muster for children for a couple decades. Of course he looks good!

BertramCooper said:
The reason people are focusing on Paterno is because there's no disagreement over Sandusky. Everyone agrees that he's a vile piece of shit.

There's really no reason to debate Sandusky's actions. They were unequivocally heinous. That doesn't mean people have lost sight of the fact that Sandusky is the primary cause of this mess.

Sandusky is a rapist there's no doubt about that. Joe Pa and others let him continue to be a predator on campus. I think it's acceptable to be mad as hell at people who let that carry on and let him run a camp of all things.

venne

samus i am said:

Probably the simplest crazy test I ever heard of.

You failed.

beast786

samus i am said:

Can I have the number?

AirBrian

samus i am said:
What response from GAF were you expecting, honestly?

eznark

Banned
AirBrian said:
What response from GAF were you expecting, honestly?

He was hoping to get JoePa'd: wherein the individual who finds out about your reprehensible behavior condones said behavior

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
samus i am said:

OK.

List of things you don't put before football

1. Rape of kids. Or anything happening to kids.

2. Hot girls/Sex

You're the type that doesn't pause a game when you get a text to see if its a bootycall, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom