• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I honestly believe the majority of this school would rather have ONE MORE GAME at the expense of ONE MORE RAPE.
No one wants to be the bad guy, their denial is not surprising.

Like I said, end the whole charade and forfeit the rest of the season. Stop talking about Joe Pa and work on putting Sandusky in the electric chair.

Salazar

bionic77 said:
Also, too much anger is being placed at Joe Paterno. I don't think anyone should be too upset over his firing or people questioning what he knew, but I feel like this stupid debate is distracting everyone from the real investigation with Sandusky.

I think people being infuriated with Paterno defenders shouldn't be taken for disproportionate fury at Paterno himself, although quite a bit of that is justified.

Sanjuro

bionic77 said:
No one wants to be the bad guy, their denial is not surprising.

Like I said, end the whole charade and forfeit the rest of the season. Stop talking about Joe Pa and work on putting Sandusky in the electric chair.
I thought this before.

The scandal goes all the way to the school's administration, not just the football program. It would be equally as fair to suspend the entire school as it is to suspend just the football team.

C Jones

Salazar said:
I think people being infuriated with Paterno defenders shouldn't be taken for disproportionate fury at Paterno himself, although quite a bit of that is justified.
Exactly. I sure didn't forget about Sandusky. I don't hate JoePa I just think he, at the very least, made a very very terrible mistake. Whether he's responsible for more, well those answers may come out of a civil suit.

JoePa was the focus this week for good reason. Look how long it took to even hear from the uni. Not to mention he's an icon.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I honestly believe the majority of this school would rather have ONE MORE GAME at the expense of ONE MORE RAPE.
Honestly? I wish I could disagree and cuss you out for saying it.

But you know what? I'd bet my left nut that if PSUs hardcore fans had their way, this scandal probably wouldn't break until the off-season. But if it waited a few more months, it risks the possibility of another boy being abused.

I think some (many?) would take that risk.

Vyer

bionic77 said:
I feel like at this point Penn State should just forfeit the rest of the season. For those people who say that the players shouldn't be punished who the fuck cares, it is just a game and it is going to be really weird to play any more games at this point. It is also going to distract from the real case.

Also, too much anger is being placed at Joe Paterno. I don't think anyone should be too upset over his firing or people questioning what he knew, but I feel like this stupid debate is distracting everyone from the real investigation with Sandusky.

No, I think it's more that Sandusky's fate is probably sealed and most people are going with that conclusion. And, let's be honest here - he was essentially assisted in doing what he did. I imagine people feel everyone involved should face the consequences.

bionic77

C Jones said:
Exactly. I sure didn't forget about Sandusky. I don't hate JoePa I just think he, at the very least, made a very very terrible mistake. Whether he's responsible for more, well those answers may come out of a civil suit.

JoePa was the focus this week for good reason. Look how long it took to even hear from the uni. Not to mention he's an icon.
I think more focus should be on the law enforcement than on the school.

The fact that they knew about this for 10 years and did nothing means they should all be fired along with Joe Pa and everyone @ Penn State. More than even the school I am mad at whoever knew the details about the allegations in the police department and DAs office and did nothing for so long. We talk about Penn State's responsibility, and they definitely are at fault, but the bigger failure was with the police to me.

bionic77 said:

The fact that they knew about this for 10 years and did nothing means they should all be fired along with Joe Pa and everyone @ Penn State. More than even the school I am mad at whoever knew the details about the allegations in the police department and DAs office and did nothing for so long. We talk about Penn State's responsibility, and they definitely are at fault, but the bigger failure was with the police to me.
Police were never notified about the 02 incident and fully investigated the 98 incident that the DA decided not to prosecute.

beast786

bigtroyjon said:
Police were never notified about the 02 incident and fully investigated the 98 incident that the DA decided not to prosecute.

Yet he retires a year after that. DA goes missing and Sandusky continues to part of PSU community.

bionic77

bigtroyjon said:
Why did the DA not prosecute in 98? Is that the guy that died?

C Jones

bionic77 said:

No doubt. The ball was dropped countless times. I want to know so much more about what went down in '98. With the DA vanishing in mid air I just wonder how much will come out.

Kraftwerk

Pardon the ignorance, but as a non-America:

Why is this story receiving so much attention and causing riots? Not trying to downplay the suffering of the children, but I remember when even bigger figures were charged with these kinds of charges, and the reaction wasn't as heated. I guess the sport is realllllly big.

Just curious.

quaere

Dreams-Visions said:
Honestly? I wish I could disagree and cuss you out for saying it.

But you know what? I'd bet my left nut that if PSUs hardcore fans had their way, this scandal probably wouldn't break until the off-season. But if it waited a few more months, it risks the possibility of another boy being abused.

I think some (many?) would take that risk.
If you knew hardcore Penn State fans, you'd know that most of them wanted Joe gone. It's only the scandal that's brought them back to his side.

This has a lot less to do with football than circling the wagons around a community under national attack.

beast786

bionic77 said:

They didnt just dropped the case. The authorities told victim mom not to talk to the media after the case was dropped. As per the DA he was found missing with his HDD of his computer in the bottom of the lake. But that was couple of years after.

Sandusky was bigger than the law. There was no question about it. MCQ knew it like everyone within that community. Only reason I can think of why he didnt go to the cops on his own.

Sharp said:
That tongue lashing is awesome.

Not really. He was condescending, rude, and in general being an asshole from the moment the discussion began. I don't see how any rational, respectful person could approve of the 'discussion' that radio host attempted to have with that girl.

Salazar

LegendofJoe said:
Not really. He was condescending, rude, and in general being an asshole from the moment the discussion began. I don't see how any rational, respectful person could approve of the 'discussion' that radio host attempted to have with that girl.

The "but he's a legend" garbage needed to be put in its place.

Kraftwerk said:
I guess the sport is realllllly big.

Tragic that people have got themselves into a position where the athletics department is the fundamental element of their institution. Pathetic stuff, really.

bionic77

Kraftwerk said:

Why is this story receiving so much attention and causing riots? Not trying to downplay the suffering of the children, but I remember when even bigger figures were charged with these kinds of charges, and the reaction wasn't as heated. I guess the sport is realllllly big.

Just curious.
Sports is a huge part of it but it is more than that. Joe Paterno is the head coach of a big state school in Pennsylvania and was successful (many years ago), but more than his success he had a reputation of being a really legitimately great person. College football in the US is kind of bullshit in a lot of ways and Paterno was supposed to be one of the good guys who did things "the right way". He was also really involved in the school, donated a shit load of money and was a real humanitarian in general.

The guy was a hero to a lot of people and this crime is so heinous that for him to be associated with it in any way was too much for some people to handle.

That and there are just some douchebags who just care too much about college football.

Homeboyd

LegendofJoe said:
Yeah I agree.. after a few minutes the only words she got in were "I understand.." before he cut her off again and again just saying the same thing. I would've hung up a long time ago.. likely after he started attacking my family.

Granted, she is wrong, and the fact she thinks Paterno should coach on Saturday is ridiculous. But.. let her be 'stupid' and move on. Doesn't make him more of a man or legitimate radio host by attacking her.

Vyer

bionic77 said:

Yup.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/29715888/detail.html

Ray Gricar disappeared in 2005. Gricar’s car and laptop were found along the Susquehanna River, but police have yet to find the former district attorney.

In 1998, Gricar made the decision not to file charges against Sandusky after a mother told university police Sandusky had inappropriate contact with her 11-year-old son.

Over the weekend, Sandusky was charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse that authorities said involved eight boys during a 10-year period.

The grand jury that indicted Sandusky last week referred specifically to that case. After a lengthy investigation by university police Detective Ronald Shreffler, the investigation was closed after Gricar decided there would be no criminal charges.

Police tried to access Gricar's computer, but the hard drive was destroyed by the water. Last summer, Gricar was declared deceased by the courts. He had never explained his decision not to prosecute Sandusky.

The article states that the hard drive was damaged, but the wikipedia and this scan from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette story says that the hard drive was actually missing.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...BAJ&pg=5334,210533&dq=ray+gricar+laptop&hl=en

Salaadin

Salazar said:
And cutting her off, calling her stupid before she can explain herself, and insulting her parents that he doesn't even know was the proper way to do it.

His points were valid but he expressed them like a moron

bionic77

beast786 said:
They didnt just dropped the case. The authorities told victim mom not to talk to the media after the case was dropped. As per the DA he was found missing with his HDD of his computer in the bottom of the lake. But that was couple of years after.

Sandusky was bigger than the law. There was no question about it. MCQ knew it like everyone within that community. Only reason I can think of why he didnt go to the cops on his own.
That shit is like something out of a movie.

Hope all of those cops and any other officials involved all get fired and go to jail. The part of them telling the mom to be quiet makes me incredibly angry.

Salazar

Salaadin said:
His points were valid but he expressed them like a moron

I agree. I found the interview fairly obnoxious. The chap on ESPN Dreams_Visions linked to earlier was incalculably better.

But I can't blame the man for feeling that ridicule was in order.

Kraftwerk

bionic77 said:
Sports is a huge part of it but it is more than that. Joe Paterno is the head coach of a big state school in Pennsylvania and was successful (many years ago), but more than his success he had a reputation of being a really legitimately great person. College football in the US is kind of bullshit in a lot of ways and Paterno was supposed to be one of the good guys who did things "the right way". He was also really involved in the school, donated a shit load of money and was a real humanitarian in general.

The guy was a hero to a lot of people and this crime is so heinous that for him to be associated with it in any way was too much for some people to handle.

That and there are just some douchebags who just care too much about college football.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Salazar said:

It did, but not in the manner he went about it.

Homeboyd said:
Yeah I agree.. after a few minutes the only words she got in were "I understand.." before he cut her off again and again just saying the same thing. I would've hung up a long time ago.. likely after he started attacking my family.

Granted, she is wrong, and the fact she thinks Paterno should coach on Saturday is ridiculous. But.. let her be 'stupid' and move on. Doesn't make him more of a man or legitimate radio host by attacking her.

He crossed the line when he started belittling her because of her age and then jumped way over it when he started insulting her family. If I was his boss I would have sent him home for the day.

Kraftwerk said:

Just curious.

A mix of things. College sports produces fanatical people. Football is huge. The school is highly regarded and so was its coach. The crime is atrocious and the cover up / lack of care to follow up is shocking and grotesque. Its sort of a perfect storm.

If we could only somehow infuse politics into this ...

Fenderputty said:
A mix of things. College sports produces fanatical people. Football is huge. The school is highly regarded, and so was its coach. The crime is atrocious and the cover up / lack of care to follow up is shocking and grotesque.

JoePa is a big Republican supporter.

The Obama administration is now investigating Penn State.

Clearly it's a case of Democrats trying to keep a good Republican down.

Dude Abides

Banned
Salaadin said:
The guy vanished 6 years after not deciding to prosecute.

I think he decided against it due to lack of evidence iirc.

We don't know why the investigation was dropped.

We do know that two police officers and a victim's mother heard what was essentially a confession from Sandusky, so whatever the reason was, lack of evidence was probably not it.

Homeboyd

The fact the students were rioting in the street because Paterno was fired is unbelievable. They should've been rioting in the streets with torches and pitchforks for the body of Sandusky. Yeah, Paterno fucked up... badly. And he'll pay for it (hopefully much worse than he already has), but I hate that 99% of the focus is on him because of his reputation and legendary status as a college football coach.

The focus should be on that scum who committed the acts. Everyone in this country should be on a witch-hunt for this man and he should be hiding in fear knowing that on every channel on every American's tv, in every Americans home, his face is being shown next to the charges piling up against him. Put that son of a bitch in the spotlight. Deal with everyone else as they should be dealt with.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
the dude that is missing.. .is no one really caring about that at all.. or am I missing something... there is going to be so much stuff coming up that will make our heads spin and I am sure there are some people out there right now losing sleep not knowing when their name is going to come up and make the news.

Kraftwerk

Fenderputty said:
A mix of things. College sports produces fanatical people. Football is huge. The school is highly regarded and so was its coach. The crime is atrocious and the cover up / lack of care to follow up is shocking and grotesque. Its sort of a perfect storm.

I guess I am just amazed that people are defending him. I thought I didn't get the full story, but goddamn idiots.

quaere

Kraftwerk said:

Just curious.
College identification is also very important in the US, especially for people that went to schools large enough to have a national name and network.

For example I used to work for a company where the regional leader - a guy who managed hundreds of people and made millions of dollars a year, and was decades out of school - would always come around and talk college rivalries with the staff as his way of connecting with his underlings. This kind of thing is pretty common.

Sirpopopop said:
JoePa is a big Republican supporter.

The Obama administration is now investigating Penn State.

Clearly it's a case of Democrats trying to keep a good Republican down.

Add in a little religious conspiracy and the country would explode.

C Jones

Malleymal said:
the dude that is missing.. .is no one really caring about that at all.. or am I missing something... there is going to be so much stuff coming up that will make our heads spin and I am sure there are some people out there right now losing sleep not knowing when their name is going to come up and make the news.
They have found no trace of him so they went ahead and declared him dead.

tokkun

Malleymal said:

Right now only conspiracy theorists are caring about it, because there isn't any evidence that links the disappearance to this case.

The disappearance was a huge story when it happened, but that was years ago.

I'm hoping the rumors of a large scale sandusky operated sex ring are not true, but I'm feeling they probably are.

A guy like Sandusky, who has been operating programs working with kids since the 70's, and was as relatively indiscreet about his sexual abuse as him, doesn't go unnoticed for decades in that community and program.

People, powerful people, knew about Sandusky and what he was. There is little reason to protect Sandusky, unless some of those people were part of the whole vile operation.

I feel pity for those poor, misguided kids rioting on campus. In the years to come, as all the facts come out, and as they themselves start to have children, it will come to their minds that protecting an old man's legacy, winning football games, having something to puff your chest up about during the weekend, doesn't mean anything when put against children being sexually abused by people who were supposed to help and look out for them.

Homeboyd said:
Yeah, 100k. Should be hiding but since all the focus is on Paterno... who knows. Probably just living life.

Actually, he isn't hiding. Someone posted an interview earlier with a radio host interviewing a journalism student and she said that Sandusky was seen working out at a local gym and going on a shopping spree.

Homeboyd

SolidSnakex said:
Actually, he isn't hiding. Someone posted an interview earlier with a radio host interviewing a journalism student and she said that Sandusky was seen working out at a local gym and going on a shopping spree.
I know thats why I said he should be hiding. I heard that report but couldn't remember the details or if I heard correctly.

It's amazing... how he's able to do that in public...

Homeboyd said:
It's amazing... how he's able to do that in public...

I guess it's easier for him since so many people are upset at the the media for going after Joe Pa instead of being upset that a child rapist was able to prey on their children for well over 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom