• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C Jones

Fenderputty said:
I've been wondering about this myself. If the organization does continue on, how can it do so if it's founder is sent to prison for raping children? Should it continue? Being shut down seems like a shame if the organization actually helps children.
I'd be interested to know if parents are yanking their kids out of the program or if their numbers haven't been affected. I wouldn't want to see it get shut down at this point. Just take his name off of everything (which they have done already I think since they even pulled the resignation letter). Maybe a name change?

eznark said:
If not immediately, the organization will shutter from a lack of donated funds going forward. More likely they will regroup, reorganize and form a new non-profit with the same goals.

Which is what I hope happens really. Not the lack of funds, but the restucture. Not sure if one can happen without the other though. The loss of such an organization wouldn't somehow make this situation any better.

C Jones said:
I'd be interested to know if parents are yanking their kids out of the program or if their numbers haven't been affected. I wouldn't want to see it get shut down at this point. Just take his name off of everything (which they have done already I think since they even pulled the resignation letter). Maybe a name change?

Taking his name off is definitely a start. A rename almost sounds like a must too. The foundation cannot be founded or in anyway relate to Sandusky. I'm also curious about membership.

Dreams-Visions said:
Eh. At minimum, it should have been enough to spot-fire the mothafucka.

Just so many layers of administrative failure, it fills my mind with fuck.
They did fire him, or at least forced him to retire.

Bowser

Reading this article makes my blood boil: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7220097/penn-state-nittany-lions-rally-program

No, but another former Nittany Lion said he hasn't forgotten Sandusky, even as the former assistant coach stands accused of having sex with young boys.

Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

"I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella said. "He called me back and said, 'What am I going to do with this money?' I said, 'Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.' "

Ugh.

Bowser said:

"I know some of the guys sent money," Stellatella told The Associated Press. "Here's the thing, these are horrendous charges against him. But he's still entitled to his day in court. Everybody's prejudged him. He's done horrendous damage to Paterno and (athletic director Tim) Curley and the football program. I don't listen to the news and I don't read the reports of what he did because I would get too upset.

So, he's giving Sandusky money (and encouraging others to do the same) without even knowing the details behind the case. That's a crazy level of loyalty.

Bowser

crowphoenix said:
That whole article pisses me off. Every single one of them is putting football before those kids.

Yeah, the whole rally pisses me off as well, but when I got down to people donating money to Sandusky, that just put me over the edge. At least not every PSU football player is an idiot:

Brad Benson, a former Penn State offensive lineman who won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants, was not invited to attend the game. He said he wouldn't go anyway -- and had no problem with his fellow former Nittany Lions presenting a unified front -- as long as they remembered the true victims of this case.

"I sure wouldn't want it be a show of solidarity for Joe," he said.

Benson spoke in anger about Paterno's actions and, more troubling, the reaction of unruly students who toppled a television news van, rioted and attempted arson after a peaceful demonstration Wednesday night turned ugly.

"There are people right now that are supporting Joe. They are rioting and doing things they shouldn't be doing," he said. "I equate these students that are rioting to the occupiers on New York City right now. They're not mature enough to understand why they're rioting. They weren't there when this happened. What are they protesting? They're protesting that someone with a tremendous responsibility failed to fulfill his moral responsibility, and other people failed as well."

This guy gets it.

DBebm5 said:
Sorry, not trying to indict Second Mile or anything...just thought the name similarity was a bizarrely apt echo of the whole mess.

Didn't mean it like I was annoyed at your post, more like it really is crazy that there was someone named Katherine Genovese associated with a case where at least dozens of people seem to have ignored a terrible crime.

Franco Harris has chimed in

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," Harris told the Tribune-Review's Kevin Gorman. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

"They really wouldn't give a reason. They're linking the football program to the scandal and, possibly, the cover-up. That's very disturbing to me. I think there should be no more connection to the football program, only in the case that it happened at the football building with an ex-coach. I'm still trying to find out who gave him access to the building, who signed that contract."

Harris also criticized state police commissioner Frank Noonan for saying Paterno had a "moral obligation" to contact police when told of the incident, according to the report.

"When I heard that, it blew my mind," Harris said. "Why would they bring the moral into the legal? Now, everyone gets to interpret in their own way. That's what really bothers me: Joe did what was right for him to do. He forwarded the information to his superiors. That's the legal procedure at Penn State.

"If I had to choose today between the moral integrity and character of Joe Paterno and the politicians and commentators criticizing him, I would pick Joe Paterno, hands-down, no contest every time."

Harris also told the paper he was "bothered" by criticism of the handling of the situation by McQueary, who witnessed a boy he estimated to being 10 years old getting violated by Sandusky anally in the showers. McQueary, according to grand jury testimony, left the showers distraught, then went to his office and called his father, who told him to go home. The next day, the pair reported the incident to Paterno.

"People make fun of the fact that Mike went to his father, like a little kid," Harris said. "Because somebody went to a confidant, why is that childish? How Mike handled that situation, there is nothing I can comment on. People are different. Some people would have bashed [Sandusky's] head in. Mike followed procedure. Because some people higher up didn't do their job, he's suffering the consequences."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...rris-defends-paterno-mcqueary-blasts-trustees

Bowser

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," Harris told the Tribune-Review's Kevin Gorman. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

"They really wouldn't give a reason. They're linking the football program to the scandal and, possibly, the cover-up. That's very disturbing to me. I think there should be no more connection to the football program, only in the case that it happened at the football building with an ex-coach. I'm still trying to find out who gave him access to the building, who signed that contract."

-____________________-

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
like there's no middle ground between bashing his head in and going home...

spookyfish

SolidSnakex said:
Franco Harris has chimed in

Harris also criticized state police commissioner Frank Noonan for saying Paterno had a "moral obligation" to contact police when told of the incident, according to the report.

"When I heard that, it blew my mind," Harris said. "Why would they bring the moral into the legal? Now, everyone gets to interpret in their own way. That's what really bothers me: Joe did what was right for him to do. He forwarded the information to his superiors. That's the legal procedure at Penn State.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...rris-defends-paterno-mcqueary-blasts-trustees

Um, does Franco not understand that Paterno also had a LEGAL obligation to contact the police, in addition to his superiors?

Dipshit.

Salaadin

spookyfish said:
Um, does Franco not understand that Paterno also had a LEGAL obligation to contact the police?

Dipshit.

According to PA State police commish, Paterno fulfilled his legal obligation by telling his boss. Its not right and its one hell of a loophole (if thats even what we want to call it) but based on what we know, his legal obligation was fulfilled and thats what Harris is basing his comments on.

That said, he still comes off as a dipshit there.

Grew up cheering Franco, but he's wrong on this one. He, like some ex-players, is just looking at it from the football side blinded to the seriousness of the problem.

Franco Harris is a scumbag who thinks nobody should do anything more than the bare minimum to protect little boys from being ass raped by dirty old men.

Franco Harris needs to be kicked out of the Hall of Fame.

spookyfish

Salaadin said:
According to PA State police commish, Paterno fulfilled his legal obligation by telling his boss. Its not right and its one hell of a loophole (if thats even what we want to call it) but based on what we know, his legal obligation was fulfilled and thats what Harris is basing his comments on.

That said, he still comes off as a dipshit there.

Wow. I stand corrected then.

Still, in a case like that, it's not enough to just do the minimum. In my book, anyway.

"Penn State: We Just Do the Bare Minimum Necessary"

Pristine_Condition said:
Franco Harris is a scumbag who thinks nobody should do anything more than the bare minimum to protect little boys from being ass raped by dirty old men.

Franco Harris needs to be kicked out of the Hall of Fame.
Indeed.

I've seen him on TV twice now and it's cringe-worthy every time.

JCreasy

All I got to say is IF IT WAS HIS DAMN KID WOULD HE BE SATISFIED WITH THE WAY IT WAS HANDLED??

It doesn't get any more simple than that.

These Paterno defenders need to answer that damn question. Would ANY of them be satisfied that Paterno did the most minimal ham-handed job of protecting the boy if THAT BOY WAS THEIRS.

ANYONE that says they're fine with an adult NOT reporting the raping of their own child to the police is either lying or mentally ill.

HeySeuss

Was this posted yet?

2dtrhvt.jpeg

The amount of apologetic arguments for McQueary at the Penn State blog is sickening. The fans are even calling him brave and his actions appropriate.

Dreams-Visions said:
Indeed.

I've seen him on TV twice now and it's cringe-worthy every time.

If Pres. Obama is a smart politician, (and I believe he is) he tells Franco Harris not to show up at the Democratic Convention as his delegate this time around...

If you can't sack up full-on against those who can't be bothered to mix in a bit of morality with legality in matters where little boys are be raped by old men, then you should stay the fuck away from anyone wanting to be elected in this country.

Joe Paterno needs to come out and ask anyone who wants to make statements defending him to STFU. It's only making him, the university and the person speaking look worse and worse. Do these people not understand that this is about CHILD RAPE. Not a DUI. Not drugs. Not selling memorabilia to boosters. CHILD. RAPE. Nobody is going to feel an ounce of sympathy for anyone other than the children. Stop trying to play victim on Joe's behalf and just shut the fuck up.

Salaadin

Ninja Scooter said:
Joe Paterno needs to come out and ask anyone who wants to make statements defending him to STFU. It's only making him, the university and the person speaking look worse and worse. Do these people not understand that this is about CHILD RAPE. Not a DUI. Not drugs. Not selling memorabilia to boosters. CHILD. RAPE. Nobody is going to feel an ounce of sympathy for anyone other than the children. Stop trying to play victim on Joe's behalf and just shut the fuck up.
JoePa told the rioters to go home and study the other night and they stayed out anyways. I doubt theyll listen now.

Sanjuro

Salaadin said:
JoePa told the rioters to go home and study the other night and they stayed out anyways. I doubt theyll listen now.
lol.

Yeah, those we are Penn State chants worked great. Instead of having mini press conferences from the shutter, he should have just released a statement. Instead the only statement was nonsense about the board not spending another minute discussing his situation.

I wouldn't have expected anything else from an old selfish egotistical man.

Cal Ripken asks Sandusky's charity not to use his name on website, in brochures

On Wednesday, Cal Ripken Jr.'s name appeared on the website of the Second Mile charity under the heading "Board of Directors: Honorary Board."

By Thursday, it didn't.

Ripken asked the Second Mile, a charity allegedly used by former Penn State football assistant Jerry Sandusky to meet and then molest young boys, to remove his name from its website and all other literature.

According to spokesman John Maroon, the Hall of Fame former Oriole spoke at an event benefiting the charity but did so at the behest of a corporate partner of the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation. After speaking, Ripken had his name listed on the website but did not do further work with the organization.
"In the nonprofit world, people end up on an honorary board and sometimes they don't even know they're on it," Steve Salem, president of the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, said. "It doesn't really mean anything."

DJ_Tet

Banned
X7HZy.jpg

Why is the media still avoiding talking about the 1998 incident? Here's Sandusky and JoePa, laughing about the 'horseplay' that cost Sandusky his job. Good times lol.

ElRenoRaven

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/penn-state-mike-mcqueary-administrative-leave/

Mike McQueary -- the Penn State receivers coach who witnessed Jerry Sandusky allegedly raping a 10-year-old boy in 2002 -- has been placed on administrative leave indefinitely.

PSU President Rodney Erickson made the announcement moments ago, claiming the decision was made by the Penn State athletic department.

According to Erickson, McQueary will be paid during his leave.

Not enough. His ass should be in jail with everyone else who didn't lift a finger to save these kids.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/mike-mcqueary-protective-custody-double-fisting/

Mike McQueary has reportedly informed the Penn State football players that he's currently in protective custody and "double fisting" alcohol.

According to PennLive.com, one of the PSU coaches gathered several players in a room on campus and allowed McQueary to speak to the team via speaker phone.

McQueary reportedly told the team, "I wanted to let you guys know I'm not your coach anymore. I'm done.”

McQueary also told the team he's not at the University, but in protective custody after receiving several threats ... and "double fisting" booze.

McQueary was placed on administrative leave earlier today.

McQueary -- who's married with a 2-year-old daughter -- is the man who witnessed Jerry Sandusky allegedly rape a young boy back in 2002 ... but failed to stop the attack and didn't report the crime to the police.

Wow. Just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom