• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
samus i am said:
Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar. We chat it up a little bit about where she if from etc. etc. I end up getting her number when the bar starts to close. She then asks for directions on how to get to the metro. I tell her how to get there since I am familiar with the area. She then says, "Are you sure? I don't want to go down the wrong street and get JoePa'd!" WHAT THE FUCK!?! I tore up the business card she gave me and threw it at her.
Take notes, this is how you keep a troll going after your initial attempt blows up in your face.

yankeehater said:
This seriously needs to catch on and become an expression.

This and "calling dad for advice" when it's obvious you've seen something that needs to be reported to the authorities are memes I can see coming out of this terrible situation because they're just so ridiculous.

Cyan

Banned
eznark said:
He is defending JoePa with more vigor than Patterno could muster for children for a couple decades. Of course he looks good!
It's true! I mean, just look at this thread. He's got nearly a hundred posts!

JoePa would've PMed Tim Curley about it and then tried to forget the thread existed.

Cyan said:
It's true! I mean, just look at this thread. He's got nearly a hundred posts!

JoePa would've PMed Tim Curley about it and then tried to forget the thread existed.

God this thread is cracking me up big time now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gary Whitta said:
Finally read the Grand Jury findings. Unbelievable, both in the depravity of the acts and the fact that this was allowed to continue for so long. Heads must roll.

And that's the shit they know about. You can be certain that everyone involved knew at least a little more. Possibly a lot.

Dude Abides

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
How did this all come to light? At what point did the police become involved?

Police were involved at two points, 1998 investigation that went away for unknown reasons, and the current proceeding that was brought in motion by a kid who reported abuse in 2009.

Maxim726X

OuterWorldVoice said:
And that's the shit they know about. You can be certain that everyone involved knew at least a little more. Possibly a lot.

And he could have been stopped multiple times.

But poor JoePa!

Juat reading through the Grand Jury findings...

Holy shit!

EDIT: Crazy about the janitor that saw Sandusky molesting a boy in 2000. 'Jim' saw him, was incredibly distressed and told his colleagues, but in a group discussion they theorised they would lose their jobs if they reported it, and thus didn't. Now Jim the janitor is in a nursing home, riddled with dementia.

gcubed

Dreams-Visions said:
For those that missed it.

sums it up.

No, it's tarnished for failing to do the right thing ethically and morally...and failing to do it for damn near a decade after knowing about it.

A catastrophic failure in judgment and human decency on his part and everyone else who didn't bother going to the police at some point.

i'm messed up on the timelines. The cops knew about it. I would assume if the DA and child protective services knew about it but didnt bring charges up that the cops had to know about it as well.

Is the DA assumed dead?

I refuse to read the GJ files because of reactions everywhere

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
samus i am said:
Yesterday, I meet a really hot chick at a bar. We chat it up a little bit about where she if from etc. etc. I end up getting her number when the bar starts to close. She then asks for directions on how to get to the metro. I tell her how to get there since I am familiar with the area. She then says, "Are you sure? I don't want to go down the wrong street and get JoePa'd!" WHAT THE FUCK!?! I tore up the business card she gave me and threw it at her.
Stop ruining the name and legacy of Samus.

Salaadin

gcubed said:
i'm messed up on the timelines. The cops knew about it. I would assume if the DA and child protective services knew about it but didnt bring charges up that the cops had to know about it as well.

Is the DA assumed dead?

I refuse to read the GJ files because of reactions everywhere

I think it went something like this:

-Kid admits to mom that he and Sandusky showered together and he bear hugged him while naked
-Mom tells cops
-Mom supposedly approaches Sandusky about it with a cop listening in (no idea if the cop was present or the mom was wired or what)
-Sandusky admits it, says it was wrong, wishes he was dead
-DA Ray Gricar doesnt press charges because he felt like there wasnt enough evidence
-DA goes missing 6 years later
-5 years after that, DA is assumed dead

I might have some of the facts wrong.

gcubed

Salaadin said:

-Kid admits to mom that he and Sandusky showered together and he bear hugged him while naked
-Mom tells cops
-Mom supposedly approaches Sandusky about it with a cop listening in (no idea if the cop was present or the mom was wired or what)
-DA Ray Gricar doesnt press charges because he felt like there wasnt enough evidence

its a freakin disaster. I'm assuming the only reason McQueary is still an employee of Penn State is because of legal reasons...

kirblar

gcubed said:
its a freakin disaster. I'm assuming the only reason McQueary is still an employee of Penn State is because of legal reasons...
I'm inclined to believe that too- there was clearly a cover up here, and he may have been threatened with his job at some point if he went to the police. Doesn't excuse his actions, but there's likely going to be a ton more coming out about this.

Salaadin said:

-Mom tells cops

Convenient

eznark said:
Miyamoto totally JoePa'd Metro: Other M

It isn't that it's not clever, it is just too much of a mouthful and takes too long to get there.

I applaud the effort, but you lose points in execution.

And, yes, I realize my first sentence can be distorted into a joke as well.

eznark

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
It isn't that it's not clever, it is just too much of a mouthful and takes too long to get there.

I applaud the effort, but you lose points in execution.

And, yes, I realize my first sentence can be distorted into a joke as well.

I will confer with my dad and tweak the delivery.

exarkun

ChiTownBuffalo said:
OK.

List of things you don't put before football

1. Rape of kids. Or anything happening to kids.

2. Hot girls/Sex

You're the type that doesn't pause a game when you get a text to see if its a bootycall, huh?

thats never happened to me, thus it has never happened to anyone. No one gets bootycalls on a Sunday.

eznark

Banned
C Jones said:
Article on Sandusky and top earners of The Second Mile. People making some pretty good money off of it.

http://m.deadspin.com/5858533/sandu...-showered-with-a-boy-according-to-tax-records

Also has the Sandusky resignation letter for those who haven't seen it yet. It's pretty sickening.

Also sorry for the mobile link. I'm assuming removing the first "m" gives you the default site but I can't verify that on my phone.

That's like $35,000 a year. Hardly a scandalous amount of money if they determined he did nothing wrong. Especially if you look at the massive amounts of money he raised for the organization.

Based on the snippets of the grand jury report I have read, it sounds like Second Mile got the most watered down version of all of these reports to the point where they were told no wrong doing occurred.

C Jones said:
Article on Sandusky and top earners of The Second Mile. People making some pretty good money off of it.

http://m.deadspin.com/5858533/sandu...-showered-with-a-boy-according-to-tax-records

Also has the Sandusky resignation letter for those who haven't seen it yet. It's pretty sickening.

Also sorry for the mobile link. I'm assuming removing the first "m" gives you the default site but I can't verify that on my phone.

Wow, so one of the bigwigs at Second Mile is named Katherine "Kitty" Genovese? The irony is mind-boggling.

Salaadin said:

-Mom tells cops

yep.

and the bolded blow my mind every time I think about it. this shit really was a cult and the football program was at the center of it.

eznark

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yep.

and the bolded blow my mind every time I think about it. this shit really was a cult and the football program was at the center of it.

From the story in the paper today it sounded like Sandusky did not admit what he did, just offered an ambiguous apology and requested forgiveness. The DA felt it did not give them a strong enough case. Many years of watching Law and Order tells me that this is probably true.

C Jones

eznark said:
That's like $35,000 a year. Hardly a scandalous amount of money if they determined he did nothing wrong. Especially if you look at the massive amounts of money he raised for the organization.

Based on the snippets of the grand jury report I have read, it sounds like Second Mile got the most watered down version of all of these reports to the point where they were told no wrong doing occurred.
Certainly not a scandalous number, I agree. But the fact he's earning money for so long while using the organization to get and groom more victims is just crazy on principal.

As far as their knowledge of what was going on? Well there's this too:

http://m.deadspin.com/5858636/a-pen...rry-sandusky-also-represented-the-second-mile

eznark

Banned
C Jones said:
Certainly not a scandalous number, I agree. But the fact he's earning money for so long while using the organization to get and groom more victims is just crazy on principal.

As far as their knowledge of what was going on? Well there's this too:

http://m.deadspin.com/5858636/a-pen...rry-sandusky-also-represented-the-second-mile

Oh, absolutely. But as of now I haven't really read anything that shows Second Mile was doing anything inappropriately or acted poorly based on the facts they were presented.

I'm just trying to sort out who to fucking despise and who to feel sort of sorry for. It sounds like Second Mile was doing serious good for a ton of Pennsylvania kids...this will unquestionably destroy that organization. I'd just like to figure out if it's deserved or not.

eznark said:
From the story in the paper today it sounded like Sandusky did not admit what he did, just offered an ambiguous apology and requested forgiveness. The DA felt it did not give them a strong enough case. Many years of watching Law and Order tells me that this is probably true.
Eh. At minimum, it should have been enough to spot-fire the mothafucka.

Just so many layers of administrative failure, it fills my mind with fuck.

gcubed

Dreams-Visions said:

without a doubt. It should have been more then enough to get him the hell out of there.

eznark

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Absolutely. But...did Penn State know about that stuff? Did Second Mile? I think Penn State did, but I don't think the non-profit did. Which is mind-boggling.

gcubed

eznark said:
Absolutely. But...did Penn State know about that stuff? Did Second Mile? I think Penn State did, but I don't think the non-profit did. Which is mind-boggling.

i dont understand how even an accusation of child molestation that made it to the police, DA and child protection services went unnoticed in Penn State.

C Jones

eznark said:
Oh, absolutely. But as of now I haven't really read anything that shows Second Mile was doing anything inappropriately or acted poorly based on the facts they were presented.

I'm just trying to sort out who to fucking despise and who to feel sort of sorry for. It sounds like Second Mile was doing serious good for a ton of Pennsylvania kids...this will unquestionably destroy that organization. I'd just like to figure out if it's deserved or not.
Yeah same here. I'm sure Second Mile has a fair share of success stories and there seem to be some good people there in high positions that are trying to make a difference.

But this article earlier kinda bothered me

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

They seemed a little too lax in terms of the 2002 incident. Then the link I posted about the Second Mile ties to 1998 investigation. I'm not ready to completely throw them under the bus yet or anything but it should definitely be looked at.

This whole thing is like a season of "The Wire". Who knows where the corruption begins and ends.

gcubed

Lead Based Paint said:
That's because it went "unnoticed"

well yes, thats a given, just responding to eznark. They knew. Usually even an accusation is enough to get your ripped away from any situation involving children... guilty or not

Lead Based Paint said:
That's because it went "unnoticed"
lol.

but really, the DA wouldn't inform University officials? They went as far as secretly recording a conversation between he and a victim's mother...but didn't bother to inform the guys employers that he's squeezing little boys in showers?

Penn State, man.

eznark said:

I've been wondering about this myself. If the organization does continue on, how can it do so if it's founder is sent to prison for raping children? Should it continue? Being shut down seems like a shame if the organization actually helps children.

eznark

Banned
C Jones said:
Yeah same here. I'm sure Second Mile has a fair share of success stories and there seem to be some good people there in high positions that are trying to make a difference.

But this article earlier kinda bothered me

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

They seemed a little too lax in terms of the 2002 incident. Then the link I posted about the Second Mile ties to 1998 investigation. I'm not ready to completely throw them under the bus yet or anything but it should definitely be looked at.

This whole thing is like a season of "The Wire". Who knows where the corruption begins and ends.

Yup, I'm in the exact same spot pretty much as a result of that article. It's difficult to rush to judgement considering two trusted organizations (the fucking district attorney's office and Penn State) essentially cleared him according to the outside world. However, they still heard about him showering with kids.

At the very least he should not have been allowed cart blanche access to those kids.

Thing is totally fucked at every possible level.

I've been wondering about this myself. If the organization does continue on, how can it do so if it's founder is sent to prison for raping children? Should it continue? Being shut down seems like a shame if the organization actually helps children

If not immediately, the organization will shutter from a lack of donated funds going forward. More likely they will regroup, reorganize and form a new non-profit with the same goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom