• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

What a mess, I feel pretty bad for the students and the players who had no idea what Sandusky was. But I can't support any punishment less than jail time for those who knew what Sandusky did and still didn't go to the police. Especially that grad student who witnessed the rape with his own eyes.

hoos30

Spectral Glider said:
Grew up cheering Franco, but he's wrong on this one. He, like some ex-players, is just looking at it from the football side blinded to the seriousness of the problem.

Franco Harris is just another member of the Cult of JoePa.

Xeke

Banned
Al-ibn Kermit said:
What a mess, I feel pretty bad for the students and the players who had no idea what Sandusky was. But I can't support any punishment less than jail time for those who knew what Sandusky did and still didn't go to the police. Especially that grad student who witnessed the rape with his own eyes.

Not going to happen, you don't throw your top witness in jail

akira28

The more I read, the more I want to bury this guy under the prison.

"I'm going to squeeze your guts out"? Soap fights in the gym showers after hours? The kids literally hiding in their homes when he's supposed to show up and take them to functions? Witnesses seeing shit that was wrong and classifying it as horseplay? Football is that important to some people that they're willing to forgive even the technicalities?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
akira28 said:
The more I read, the more I want to bury this guy under the prison.

"I'm going to squeeze your guts out"? Soap fights in the gym showers after hours? The kids literally hiding in their homes when he's supposed to show up and take them to functions? Witnesses seeing shit that was wrong and classifying it as horseplay? Football is that important to some people that they're willing to forgive even the technicalities?

Football is life for many people. It's like breathing air.

Pristine_Condition said:
Franco Harris is a scumbag who thinks nobody should do anything more than the bare minimum to protect little boys from being ass raped by dirty old men.

Franco Harris needs to be kicked out of the Hall of Fame.
:lol

Less rage, more logic.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/sandusky-earned-456000-from-charity/

The tax-exempt charity founded by Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator charged with 40 counts of abusing young boys, paid him $456,000 from 2000 to 2008, according to Deadspin’s lengthy look at the organization’s federal tax filings.

The compensation was in the form of an annual consulting fee of $57,000 paid to Sandusky, Deadspin reported. He was paid more than some employees listed in the filing.

According to a statement on the Second Mile’s Web site, Sandusky informed the organization in November 2008, that “he had learned he was being investigated as a result of allegations made against him by an adolescent male.” Although he “maintained there was not truth to the claims,” the statement continued, the decision was made to “separate him from all our program activities involving children.”

The structure of Second Mile includes a state board of directors (among them, Matt Millen, a former Penn State linebacker who is now an ESPN college football analyst), a Southcentral board of directors (for its Camp Hill, Pa., office) and a Southeast regional board (for its King of Prussia, Pa., office).

But it also has an honorary board whose members include Arnold Palmer, Cal Ripken Jr., the actor Mark Wahlberg, the former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz and Eagles Coach Andy Reid. According to the Baltimore Sun, Ripken and Holtz have asked that their names be removed from the honorary board. Other reports said that Second Mile had removed the names of all its board members from its Web site.

Separately, Moody’s Investors Service warned Friday that Penn State’s Aa1 bond rating could be downgraded because of the child sex abuse scandal.

Over the next several months, Moody’s said in a press release, it said it will “evaluate the potential scope of reputational and financial risk” arising from the charges against Sandusky as well as those against the university’s athletic director, Tim Curley, and a university administrator, Gary Schultz, for perjury and failure to report to authorities what they knew of the allegations involving Sandusky. Curley is on administrative leave. Schultz will retire. They have denied the charges.

Penn State’s strong bond rating reflects “very strong student demand” and its “consistent ability to draw out-of-state students who pay high tuition rates,” Moody’s said.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
this whole story is all sorts of fucked up on every level

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/11/mcqueary_tells_psu_wideouts_he.html

They removed the double fisting booze comment.

"However, several hours later, Sports Information Director Jeff Nelson said that McQueary was not in protective custody - that his characterization was not true, raising the prospect that it was an attempt at black humor that fell flat. The players did not get the joke and were still shaken by the comment when the call ended."

ElRenoRaven

Trasher said:

Yea. I was looking at Wikipedia last night too because a friend was wondering about if he had kids and saw that. Needless to say I have a bad feeling that location was not picked for good reasons.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
pedo_statue_paterno_1.jpg

Penn State alum raising funds for Sandusky

Cloudy

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Not enough. His ass should be in jail with everyone else who didn't lift a finger to save these kids.

Wow. Just wow.

He is the prosecution's star witness. He's not going to jail...

Kermit The Dog said:

You think it's funny?

Kermit The Dog said:
Less rage, more logic.
Sounds to me like if people had more rage against people raping children, and less logic--meaning less concern about how this might affect Penn State football--then many young boys would have been saved from a serial rapist.

Maybe you want to approach the subject of an ongoing conspiracy of silence that enabled serial child rape from a cold perspective of logic...but not everyone agrees.

Personally, I'm willing to throw myself all the way in the rage camp here.

Franco Harris is making excuses for a man who did the bare minimum to protect children from a monster. Excuses for a man who himself even admits he should have done more to save these kids from being raped.

Why? Because that guy sat on the sidelines while a bunch of players won a bunch of games for Penn State. Yeah...why shouldn't that preclude him from following basic standards of morality above the law, and compassion for rape victims.

Yeah...that's logical. :rolleyes

While I fully acknowledge the seriousness of the allegations against all the people implicated and hope justice is meted out to them, I also find amusing the calls for ever increasing punishments.

Sandusky, Schultz, Curley arrested. NOT ENOUGH!
Schultz and Curley placed on leave. NOT ENOUGH!
Schultz and Curley fired. NOT ENOUGH!
Paterno announces retirement. NOT ENOUGH!
Paterno and Spanier fired. NOT ENOUGH! FIRE THE ENTIRE BOARD OF TRUSTEES!
Penn State students riot in support of Paterno. PENN STATERS ARE PEDO SUPPORTERS!
McQueary won't coach next game. NOT ENOUGH!
Paterno gets a criminal lawyer. GOOD, HE DESERVES TO GO TO JAIL!
McQueary placed on leave. NOT ENOUGH! FIRE HIM!
Random alum give Sandusky $100. ALL PENN STATERS ARE PEDO SUPPORTERS!
James Franco voices support of Paterno. KICK HIM OUT OF THE HALL OF FAME!
CANCEL THE NEBRASKA GAME!
MAKE THE CURRENT FOOTBALL TEAM DO COMMUNITY SERVICE!
CANCEL THE SEASON!
WHERE IS THE NCAA!?
SHUT DOWN THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM!
SHUT DOWN SECOND MILE!
GET RID OF THE ATHLETICS PROGRAM!
LET'S LAUGH AT HOW SANDUSKY WILL GET SHIVED IN PRISON!
HOW DARE SANDUSKY BE TREATED AS INNOCENT BEFORE PROVEN GUILTY!

Never mind how some of these actions impact thousands of people who had nothing to do with Sandusky, how does cancelling a football game help the victims?

Squirrel Killer said:
While I fully acknowledge the seriousness of the allegations against all the people implicated and hope justice is meted out to them, I also find amusing the calls for ever increasing punishments.

Penn State students riot in support of Paterno. PENN STATERS ARE PEDO SUPPORTERS!
CANCEL THE SEASON!
WHERE IS THE NCAA!?
SHUT DOWN SECOND MILE!

Never mind how some of these actions impact thousands of people who had nothing to do with Sandusky, how does cancelling a football game help the victims?

It's true, people that cover up child rape (and the people that support them) don't get a fair shake.

ElectricBlanketFire said:
It's true, people that cover up child rape don't get a fair shake.
Once you start talking about firing an entire Board of Trustees, cancelling a team's season, and kicking a guy of the hall of fame, none of which had any knowledge of Sandusky's actions, you stop talking about "people that cover up child rape."

Urban Meyer was supposed to be doing commentary at the game. His father just died so he is out now. That is a rough spot to step into, I would think, without any preparation on how to handle, given people don't really know what to expect, and that many more will probably be tuning in to see just that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Squirrel Killer said:

CANCEL THE SEASON!
WHERE IS THE NCAA!?
SHUT DOWN SECOND MILE!

James Franco. Lol.

In your rush to build an ad absurdum strawman, you brought up the most dreammmmmy actor of all time as in favor of child rapists!

Unless you meant it as a joke, in which case good show.

Really, do shut up.

SerArthurDayne said:
Urban Meyer was supposed to be doing commentary at the game. His father just died so he is out now. That is a rough spot to step into, I would think, without any preparation on how to handle, given people don't really know what to expect, and that many more will probably be tuning in to see just that.
It would also have been awkward considering Urban Meyer is going to be Penn State's next head coach.

Salaadin

Squirrel Killer said:
Once you start talking about firing an entire Board of Trustees, cancelling a team's season, and kicking a guy of the hall of fame, none of which had any knowledge of Sandusky's actions, you stop talking about "people that cover up child rape."

Just a heads up: You say James Franco above. Its Franco Harris. As far as I know, the Harry Osbourne hasnt voiced any support for Paterno. Yet. :p

Squirrel Killer said:

CANCEL THE SEASON!
WHERE IS THE NCAA!?
SHUT DOWN SECOND MILE!

A columnist for the Philadelphia Daily news also thinks the main campus should be broken down to a satellite campus to prevent a powerful corrupt culture from developing again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't and have never banned anyone for disagreeing with me. I responded to you in PM, but it's not necessary to PM me when you feel like you disagree with me.

But really, leave James Franco out of this.

foodtaster said:
what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

That works for those who are accused of the crime and those who are disputing the charges.

Coach Joe Paterno has admitted what he did not do, under oath, and has also admitted to the press he should have done more to protect children from getting raped, but chose not to.

So, in Paterno's case, there's nothing to prove, unless you are looking to prove that he actually knew even MORE about the charges, and instead of choosing not to go to the authorities, actually took part in covering up for his pedo buddy. Certainly those issues are something interesting to investigate.

But clearly, based just on the facts we know now, the facts that Paterno himself doesn't dispute, Coach Paterno, the Athletic Director, the University President, and the witness to the 2002 crime, all deserved to be fired, because more children were raped due to their inaction.

I am also rather unhappy to report than in many places the idea of innocent until proven guilty is a lofty notion that really means nothing even in a court of law.

But as others have said, even where it still has meaning, it doesn't mean you can continue to think people have committed wrongful acts, even if they are acquitted.

In fact, an acquittal is certainly no reason to assume somebody didn't do it. Even the courts are aware of this. They never find anybody "innocent" in a criminal proceeding, just "not guilty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom