• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyan said:
"Hey Schulz. JoePa here. How's it going? Yeah, things are good over here, just finished practice, looking good on D this season I think. So hey. What happened with that Sandusky thing? Yeah, it's just he's still around kids all the time, and he still has an office here and everything, and you know, if McQueary made that whole thing up I'd really like to know."

"OMG insubordination/lawsuit! Why are you overstepping your bounds like this? Oh sweet Lord in heaven!"

I think the point is that Paterno had good reason to place his faith in the process. Bearing in mind that the internal Penn State police force had statutory authorization as municipal police departments, what reason would he have to suppose that they hadn't fully investigated the allegations? If I had reported it and he remained on campus,I would assume that the allegations were false.

Put yourself in the situation. You get a second-hand report about a crime being committed by someone you're the boss of, and you report it to the police. What else, exactly, are you supposed to do?

People are innocent until proven guilty. This is not simply a constitutionally protected right, but a moral precept. Those who would punish in their actions as a private individual for allegations that are not proven are acting immorally. It is the duty of the police department to investigate crimes and determine the veracity of allegations, and more importantly, they are far better equipped and more likely to come to a correct answer than a football coach. I would rather live in a world where football coaches are willing to turn to the people who know what they're doing in this situation than one where every individual feels responsible to be the judge of everyone who has been accused of a crime.

The real question is why the hell you authorize an internal police department with every incentive to cover up scandals like this the same legal rights as a municipal police department.

Amibguous Cad said:
I think the point is that Paterno had good reason to place his faith in the process. Bearing in mind that the internal Penn State police force had statutory authorization as municipal police departments, what reason would he have to suppose that they hadn't fully investigated the allegations? If I had reported it and he remained on campus,I would assume that the allegations were false.

Put yourself in the situation. You get a second-hand report about a crime being committed by someone you're the boss of, and you report it to the police. What else, exactly, are you supposed to do?

People are innocent until proven guilty. This is not simply a constitutionally protected right, but a moral precept. Those who would punish in their actions as a private individual for allegations that are not proven are acting immorally. It is the duty of the police department to investigate crimes and determine the veracity of allegations, and more importantly, they are far better equipped and more likely to come to a correct answer than a football coach. I would rather live in a world where football coaches are willing to turn to the people who know what they're doing in this situation than one where every individual feels responsible to be the judge of everyone who has been accused of a crime.

The real question is why the hell you authorize an internal police department with every incentive to cover up scandals like this the same legal rights as a municipal police department.
I somewhat agree.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
mre said:
Let's not say things we may regret later...

Having grown up there I stand behind that statement. As well as my earlier Penn State pun. Which was tragically tasteless.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Having grown up there I stand behind that statement. As well as my earlier Penn State pun. Which was tragically tasteless.
You grew up in Alabama?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
mre said:
You grew up in Alabama?

James Carville deserves credit for the Alabama.comment. Come on, I had a mullet in 8th grade.

mre

ChiTownBuffalo said:
James Carville deserves credit for the Alabama.comment. Come on, I had a mullet in 8th grade.
Look, just start substituting Mississippi, Tennessee, or West Virginia instead of Alabama and we won't have a problem.

Branduil

Amibguous Cad said:

So Paterno promoted someone who lies about CHILD RAPE then.

Branduil said:
So Paterno promoted someone who lies about CHILD RAPE then.

This is exactly why we leave criminal investigation to those with training in the subject. I would rather not have my reputation and career in the hands of people so lacking in imagination that they are incapable of conceiving of any explanation for a false allegation other than "One person lied."

Amibguous Cad said:
This is exactly why we leave criminal investigation to those with training in the subject. I would rather not have my reputation and career in the hands of people so lacking in imagination that they are incapable of conceiving of any explanation for a false allegation other than "One person lied."

1710891_o.gif

Branduil

Amibguous Cad said:
Oh brother, this one again.

beast786

Amibguous Cad said:

First hand witness of sexual penetration of a 10 year old in a shower , while making eye contact with both the victim and the accuser.

We sure need a criminal investigator to figure out what happened there. I am sure there are many many explanations for it, hence possible false allegation.

Branduil

Kermit The Dog said:
He's right, though. Criminal investigators are trained to analyse a case and take any emotion out of it, something you're incapable of doing, it seems.
Well the investigators concluded that child rape did take place, so I don't think this is very hard to figure out. Like I said before, if someone can come up with any reasonable explanation that does not involve either McQueary lying about child rape or Sandusky raping kids, I'll listen.

Chumly

I cant believe people are still defending paterno. There was surely another explanation for Sandusky having intercourse with a 10 year old!!!!!

lupinko

PSU Cult Member said:
"The media got Joe Paterno fired,'' claimed Crawford, 48, an engineer from Bedford, Pa., and a 1983 Penn State alum. "The media is out of control in this country. They ruined Sarah Palin, and now they're trying to ruin Paterno.

How bout Paterno?

Salazar

Learn2read said:
The fuck?

This deranged shit - and the hyper-masculine, disgustingly greedy athletics industry that produces it - needs to be expunged from higher education. That painfully retarded parochialism masquerading as loyalty and tradition doesn't belong in colleges. It aches to contemplate that these fuckwits think that their sports program has been substantively involved in the broad promotion of any kind of virtue.

rCIZZLE

I hate how Paterno's reputation seems to be the major focus by a lot of the fans... it's a fucking game that means nothing vs robbing children of their clean slate.

mre

Cyan said:
Wow, transparent much?

Edit: wait, WTF? That was retweeted by mre?
Did I ever tell you about that half-summer I spent at Penn State studying under the world renowned professor of fuel sciences Chunshan Song? Is it any wonder that I, like my fellow Penn State brethren, feel as persecuted as the poor women in The Crucible? I hear that Sandusky has been reading the Scarlet Letter and found it equally enlightening.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Salazar said:
This deranged shit - and the hyper-masculine, disgustingly greedy athletics industry that produces it - needs to be expunged from higher education. That painfully retarded parochialism masquerading as loyalty and tradition doesn't belong in colleges. It aches to contemplate that these fuckwits think that their sports program has been substantively involved in the broad promotion of any kind of virtue.
this may be off-topic, but what i love about you, Salazar, is the ability to weave a phrase like 'parochialism masquerading as loyalty' in the same breadth as 'fuckwits.' it brings me back those halcyon years in graduate school where purposeful discussion went hand-in-hand with recreational drug use.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
PsychoRaven said:
Yup. That's not a fucking conflict of interest at all. *Rolls Eyes*

I swear can this system get any more fucking corrupt can it?
regardless of what Sandusky did, Second Mile is still a legitimate non profit. unless you're assuming that the Judge is another closet pedo, his volunteering is more a sign that he's committed to helping children, not helping Sandusky.

scorcho said:
this may be off-topic, but what i love about you, Salazar, is the ability to weave a phrase like 'parochialism masquerading as loyalty' in the same breadth as 'fuckwits.' it brings me back those halcyon years in graduate school where purposeful discussion went hand-in-hand with recreational drug use.

Really? I often cringe when Salazar puts it in 5th gear. Sounds like a try-hard attempting to impress the well-endowed, 23 year old substitute teacher, while all the other kids in class dream of ways to wedge his head into a wheelie-bin. Salazar is GAF's version of Martin Prince.

Anyway, is this still headline news in the US? Barely a whimper here in Australia, for obvious reasons.

Judge who freed Sandusky tied to 2nd Mile

The judge who granted bail to former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky was a volunteer for his Second Mile organization, according to the biography on her former law firm's website.

Sandusky was arrested on Nov. 5 and charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse of young boys over a 15-year period.

Deadspin, a sports blog, reports that upon Sandusky's arraignment, prosecutors requested $500,000 bail for Sandusky. They also wanted him to wear a leg monitor.

However, Judge Leslie Dutchcot freed Sandusky on $100,000 unsecured bail, meaning he’ll only have to pay if he doesn’t show up for court.

The judge's profile on her former law firm’s website states that she volunteered at the Second Mile, the same organization where Sandusky allegedly found his victims.

Some observers are questioning why Dutchcot didn’t recuse herself from Sandusky's case, given her connection.

Salaadin

Kermit The Dog said:
Anyway, is this still headline news in the US? Barely a whimper here in Australia, for obvious reasons.

Its still reported on daily in PA. Im not sure about the rest of the US.

Kermit The Dog said:
wrong thread/forum/almost wrong site...
KuGsj.gif

You confused the shit out of me lol

Cyan

Banned
mre said:
Did I ever tell you about that half-summer I spent at Penn State studying under the world renowned professor of fuel sciences Chunshan Song? Is it any wonder that I, like my fellow Penn State brethren, feel as persecuted as the poor women in The Crucible? I hear that Sandusky has been reading the Scarlet Letter and found it equally enlightening.
I knew it!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sirpopopop said:
Wonder if the ex-DA was part of Sandusky's sex ring?

Has the sex ring thing been proven yet or are the wheels of the imagination of people going off the tracks cause its exciting to watch the situation get worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom